• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Our desire is to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation - Phil Spencer

Elios83

Let's see what happens in 2023 and beyond Phil.
We're all here taking your words and your sincere desire to keep COD on Playstation for granted this time :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Imo this will end up with a new business deal between the two parts. Sony will concede something, COD will stay.

Last edited:
I think they not want neither
Well they did want to put Game Pass on Playstation. But I don't see it anymore after acquisition anymore. I mean the original idea was to have Game Pass on potentially bigger platform but with acquisitions like this they don't need that anymore. They can get it on Nintendo though.

LordOfChaos

That tweet says less the more you read it tbh

Honoring existing contracts, well yeah, otherwise you'd be in contract violation, the question was always more about the future after that

Our "desire" to keep CoD on PlayStation. Is that every CoD? Are there conditions? Will it have full parity?

I'm half entertaining the idea that they'll use CoD as the wedge to get GamePass on PlayStation, and this tweet does not dissuade me from the notion

retsof624

"Put Game Pass on PS and you can still have COD"
the office finger guns GIF

Kacho

I’m so sorry guys. I saw the tweet and just assumed Good Guy Phil. I see how it can be interpreted differently. Smooth fucking tongue on that guy.

assurdum

Banned
Well they did want to put Game Pass on Playstation. But I don't see it anymore after acquisition anymore. I mean the original idea was to have Game Pass on potentially bigger platform but with acquisitions like this they don't need that anymore. They can get it on Nintendo though.
There is more hope to COD to stay multiplatform than see gamepass on Sony/Nintendo console.

Last edited:

skit_data

Why couldn't he have just ended it with the part about contractual obligations? Now people are going to go mad with speculation with that last bit
This is what they do, speculation keeps the buzz around the acquisition going. Will they? Won’t they?

I think the Zenimax acquisition has given us enough of a frame of reference to conclude this: old games will stay (which includes Warzone), new ones will be exclusive. I’d be surprised if it pans out any other way.

But then again, the only thing that vaguely annoys me about this whole deal is that I won’t be seeing no more Crash Bandicoot, THPS or Spyro games on PS. Activision/Blizzard doesn’t put out the type of games I prefer outside of Sekiro but I think that was a one-off.

Existing agreements are the key words in that tweet, however I see it can end up like this:

Worst case scenario: MS honors existing agreements and once they expire then, no more titles will be released other thab MS platforms: XBOX, PC and Gamepass

Best case scenario: MS release a few IPs such as CoD, or only CoD, but with worse performance, less content, and with a high price tag, when the XBOX version gets the real deal included with Game Pass on release day

NickFire

Why couldn't he have just ended it with the part about contractual obligations? Now people are going to go mad with speculation with that last bit
Speculation is the best thing for them right now unless they intend to continue COD business same as always. If they get concrete in the negative, the approval process could be adversely affected. If they said future COD's will be published on PS same as before, but do not mean it, they can get in trouble there too.

Riky

$MSFT
Keep it on PlayStation for £70 a throw, it just brings the value of Gamepass into even greater focus.
The Alpha and Beta tests will probably be on Gamepass, 2 weeks early access on Gamepass for multiplayer to level up your weapons for Warzone etc.
All advertised in game.
It's pretty clever when you think about it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sounds like a Minecraft situation to me.

I expect that long term they want that PlayStation CoD money anyway, and they get the benefit of exclusive perks and GamePass on their platform
Nah, Minecraft sale apparently had a stipulation that it remain on all other platforms. Notch must have included it into the contract. This deal apparently has no such clause.

But yes, they are going to leverage CoD to get gamepass onto playstation and there is no way Sony can say no. Sony will just have to live with $3 royalties on gamepass subs instead of the $21 digital cut on every $70 CoD copy sold.

ByWatterson

Lol. He specifically says 'our desire' That is code for 'Yes, Sony will get Call of Duty on Playstation as long as they let us put Gamepass on there."

And keeping Warzone on Playstation would also satisfy that statement. Show me a statement where he says "new iterations in the CoD franchise will come to PS5 available for purchase without needing gamepass" and that will be a real statement.

Precisely how I read it.

He wants to muscle Gamepass onto Playstation. That's literally all this indicates.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
why would they remove existing games from a platform in the first place?
Because it's a live service game, and the updates and maintenance of that game costs money. Money that you might want to dump into something that will line your competitor's pockets and increase their hardware's market share.

Sony released a statement saying they have a contract,I wonder how long is that contract and would Microsoft extend it after it’s finished?

Top Bottom