• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders |OT| So much content, is this a GaaS? No, just an anomaly.

Woo-Fu

Banned
- mentions the expeditions can be very frustrating playing with randoms due to the high difficulty (he said you need a team to complete these, I don't think that's a requirement of the game, is it?

Loot from expeditions is based entirely upon how long it takes you to complete them. Anytime I've pushed through content intended for more than 1-player as 1-player it has taken longer than if I'd had another player or two.

So yeah, you might be able to do those expeditions solo but getting loot commensurate with the time invested? Maybe not. DISCLAIMER: This is conjecture on my part that may prove partially or entirely incorrect.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
- nothing new but a solid looter shooter with tons of replayability through the very different classes
- mentions gears and division alot as a comparison
- loves the crafting system
- shaky cam und bad german voice acting as negatives
- endgame is great though didnt give any details
- mentions the expeditions can be very frustrating playing with randoms due to the high difficulty (he said you need a team to complete these, I don't think that's a requirement of the game, is it?

85/100

I don't speak German but I'm pretty sure this is just some fella giving his impression using video that's already out there (multiple character names and Square Enix user tags).

. . . I guess we'll know in a few hours.

wArTHEIST

Neo Member
I don't speak German but I'm pretty sure this is just some fella giving his impression using video that's already out there (multiple character names and Square Enix user tags).

. . . I guess we'll know in a few hours.
In the comments he explicitly states that he has the full game, has played it and this is based on that. But I was a little supsicious, too.

wArTHEIST

Neo Member
The impressions that are coming out sound very positive.
Consensus seems to be, if you like the demo, you'll really like the game.
Even the story gets praised.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
In the comments he explicitly states that he has the full game, has played it and this is based on that. But I was a little supsicious, too.

Isn't this an online only game though? If the servers aren't live how could he get in? I'm seeing review sites saying they are starting their review process today. . .

Don't get me wrong, it would be great if these are real impressions, I'm just pretty doubtful.

cormack12

Gold Member
Isn't this an online only game though? If the servers aren't live how could he get in? I'm seeing review sites saying they are starting their review process today. . .

Don't get me wrong, it would be great if these are real impressions, I'm just pretty doubtful.

They might have a different client download (redeemed through codes) that points at the test harness server/PTS etc. Think of the DayZ live and experimental clients

Gediminas

Banned

how servers are not live but he is playing? yes, time zones do not exist :D universal time in whole world. are you from N.america?

Luipadre

The game feels a lot more polished than the demo and the performance on the series s is night and day. Locked 60 in cutscenes without the horrible shaky cam makes a huge difference. I think it also looks and sounds better and the fps barely drops in gameplay, so much better

Also about youtubers "beating" it in 6 hours lol. Even if the story is around 8-10 hour long the whole point of these games are the endgame stuff and trying out different classes and builds , farming legendaries

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
They might have a different client download (redeemed through codes) that points at the test harness server/PTS etc. Think of the DayZ live and experimental clients
That's fair. Others are saying the gameplay holds up in the full game so I'm not particularly worried, however I'm always wary of folks rushing to get content out.

how servers are not live but he is playing? yes, time zones do not exist :D universal time in whole world. are you from N.america?

Snark is usually more effective when directed at a relevant comment. Reread the quote train and you'll see why yours is not. Nice attempt at a geography-burn though.

Last edited:

TheMan

Is this on Gamepass for PC, or just for the peasants?

calm down im joking
nope, not pc. console and cloud only :/
Unfortunately the demo felt pretty mediocre so I'm probably not gonna buy until it's on deep discount.

Last edited:

TonyK

What defines a game as GAAS? I read here: micro transactions and basically to spent money in currencies after initial purchase. But, for example, people consider Assassin's Creed as GASS and I never spent 1€ in micro transactions, not even in Odyssey or Valhalla.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
What defines a game as GAAS? I read here: micro transactions and basically to spent money in currencies after initial purchase. But, for example, people consider Assassin's Creed as GASS and I never spent 1€ in micro transactions, not even in Odyssey or Valhalla.

In a GaaS the game isn't the goal - the item shop is. . .usually. Now some games that have microtransactions shoved in by the developer still are determined to deliver a solid gaming experience (The Division 2 comes to mind). All Ubisoft games are ostensibly GaaS because they ALL come with the Ubisoft Shop, however they still typically have solid core gameplay experiences. The goal though is still to get you hooked into the ecosystem and spending money in the cash shop.

Murdoch

The game feels a lot more polished than the demo and the performance on the series s is night and day. Locked 60 in cutscenes without the horrible shaky cam makes a huge difference. I think it also looks and sounds better and the fps barely drops in gameplay, so much better

Also about youtubers "beating" it in 6 hours lol. Even if the story is around 8-10 hour long the whole point of these games are the endgame stuff and trying out different classes and builds , farming legendaries

As an owner of the Xbox Series S that's going to hold back an entire console generation and ruin the next 5-8 years for everyone this is music to my ears. Thanks for the impressions.

geary

Isn't the nature of PaaS, Iaas, SaaS and other "XaaS" to pay a subscription fee or a license fee to have access to them? Why GaaS wouldn't be the same, paying a subscription to have the possibility to access the game? For me, WoW, FF14 are GaaS.

Last edited:

Luipadre

As an owner of the Xbox Series S that's going to hold back an entire console generation and ruin the next 5-8 years for everyone this is music to my ears. Thanks for the impressions.

Its sooo much better. Combat is so satisfying and mostly locked 60 now

Gold_Loot

Man, this is may not have the glitz and production of a triple A bonanza, but damn is it fun to play.

It has a bit going against it. Annoying transitions for simple things like opening doors, or jumping a gaps. The story is nuts as well as the acting (I kinda dig it though) and the graphics are barely above average. But hell. I just love it.

Bought.

Gediminas

Banned
That's fair. Others are saying the gameplay holds up in the full game so I'm not particularly worried, however I'm always wary of folks rushing to get content out.

Snark is usually more effective when directed at a relevant comment. Reread the quote train and you'll see why yours is not. Nice attempt at a geography-burn though.
if you living under the rock, it is not my problem. people using VPN for ages.

GymWolf

Loot from expeditions is based entirely upon how long it takes you to complete them. Anytime I've pushed through content intended for more than 1-player as 1-player it has taken longer than if I'd had another player or two.

So yeah, you might be able to do those expeditions solo but getting loot commensurate with the time invested? Maybe not. DISCLAIMER: This is conjecture on my part that may prove partially or entirely incorrect.
So basically we need a gaf clan?!

GymWolf

Is the gunplay improved in anyway compared to the demo?!

Last edited:
Can’t wait to play the crap out of this tomorrow and thru the weekend.

Hopefully it still holds my interest by Monday, that’s the true test of these looters for me. Avengers and Anthem fizzled out after 20 hours or so for me.

if GAF forms a clan/group/whatever let me know. I contributed a lot back when Division 2 GAF was going strong

Last edited:
he finished the game in 6h.

Is this your first looter ARPG?

The main story isn’t the game. It’s a small part of it.

You beat the game after you have all classes maxed out, and even then you can still tinker with different builds. Even terrible looters offer dozens of hours of content.

MiguelItUp

Buddy of mine was streaming it this morning. Said the gameplay is fun, however the story, characters, and cutscenes are pretty forgettable. So if that stuff won't bug you, then you should have a good time.

I know he was still really irritated by the weird wobble cam that appears in cutscenes. He thought he turned it off, but apparently you can't? I believe that was in-game wobble.

I thought I saw where this game was sold as a "looter shooter" where your abilities were more important than the gunplay. Is that correct?

If so, what class seems to lend itself to being the most ability-based and least gun-based?

Despite loving loot games, I've never really been much of a shooter fan.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I thought I saw where this game was sold as a "looter shooter" where your abilities were more important than the gunplay. Is that correct?

If so, what class seems to lend itself to being the most ability-based and least gun-based?

Despite loving loot games, I've never really been much of a shooter fan.

You're using your guns to finish off enemies affected by your abilities. I would say the class that most meets what you're looking for is the Pyromancer, but they get healed by killing enemies that are debuffed so you're going to be hitting enemies with your gun.

Top Bottom