• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch 1 is now dead

Mitsurux

Me and my daughter played a few rounds of over watch last night for the final time. Had a lot of good times with the game playing with family and friends. Never played in the competitive modes, didn't experience much of the "toxic community". Bought the game at release, never bought a loot box, final level was 170. Not sure if we are moving to two.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Hello my name is Walt and I used to main Hanzo for awhile

YLVl2dn.jpg

3liteDragon

Put 600 hrs into this on PS, 200 hrs on PC. Reaper main, isn’t 2 pretty much the same game launching tomorrow with PvE?

HoofHearted

If you had 1 and logged in after a certain date (which I don't know what date that was) you got some goodies and the ability to preload 2

If not you have to wait until it goes live in a little over 26 hours
I downloaded the "Pre-release" content this morning while playing a final few games .. I'm guessing now you can't download but... who knows?

D-ray

As a TF2 fan, I can only say:
RIP BOZO

But I'm still kind of baffled that Blizzard really took the game down this way.

bender

What time is it?
I'm a little upset they are taking it down all together. Conceptually, I don't really like the sounds of the changes made to O2 but I'll certainly not invest any more time or money into this series because of how they are treating O1.

dorkimoe

Still pretty fucked up they did this. The fact that this version of Overwatch is (potentially) gone forever sucks. Really hope this comes to bite them in the ass.
Its literally how Dota works and most online only games. Patches that completely change the way the game plays.

mr stroke

Put 600 hrs into this on PS, 200 hrs on PC. Reaper main, isn’t 2 pretty much the same game launching tomorrow with PvE?

shit this "2" had me fooled LMAO

I thought this was a brand new game, new graphics, gameplay, etc.. Please don't tell me this is just a patch of the first game rebranded ???

Goalus

Still pretty fucked up they did this. The fact that this version of Overwatch is (potentially) gone forever sucks. Really hope this comes to bite them in the ass.
Didn't something similar happen with Destiny 2?
And did that bite Bungie in the ass?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
OW1 is simply becoming OW2. Seems that all skins, sprays and other pointless cosmetic items that never affected gameplay will be carried over. All heroes will be carried over and available.

Based on the above, you can see this is the most heinous situation we’ve seen in the games industry, rivaled only by the MSFT XB1 DRM launch debacle and EA’s decision to [insert any major decision made by EA corporate over the past decade].

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

mr stroke

OW1 is simply becoming OW2. Seems that all skins, sprays and other pointless cosmetic items that never affected gameplay will be carried over. All heroes will be carried over and available.

Based on the above, you can see this is the most heinous situation we’ve seen in the games industry, rivaled only by the MSFT XB1 DRM launch debacle and EA’s decision to [insert any major decision made by EA corporate over the past decade].
Yeah this is a total sham

I purposely avoided any coverage of the game for spoilers. I’d assume Blizzard would use the moniker 2.0 vs straight up “Overwatch 2”. This is a total disservice to blizzard fans. Shit they could of at least completely overhauled the graphics lol

So you can't play Overwatch at all now? Is the second game live? It is October 4 here in Australia but normally it's a day late because Merica.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Wow i just realized the logo is an O and and a W . The orangy bit shows it.

And 2 people high fiving each other

It must stand for OverWatch.
And now the game is dead

Last edited:

Banned
shit this "2" had me fooled LMAO

I thought this was a brand new game, new graphics, gameplay, etc.. Please don't tell me this is just a patch of the first game rebranded ???

for an online only live service game that's the way to go IMO.
does Call of Duty need completely new multiplayer modes each year with barely any changes? no... so this way is way better...
or it would be if the new monetization model wasn't literally breaking one of the core design principles of the game

tvdaXD

If 1 doesn't exist anymore, why is it called Overwatch 2?!
Ever since they kept releasing more info I've been feeling less and less interested. It's gone from paying $40,- for a full entire videogame to paying $20,- for an single skin?! That's insanity.

BlackTron

The problem is that Overwatch 2 is a big patch that makes OW work even less well as a game and even better as a MTX funded shit fest, while taking away what sense remained in the original game.

They charged a full price game for Overwatch because it wouldn't make sense to monetize it by unlocking characters because that would massively affect gameplay. But that is exactly what they are doing now and there's no going back.

So yeah...I'm never going to play this game. Overwatch has totally failed from how impressed I was when it first came out, they had a great idea and just mismanaged it into oblivion. This is the final nail in the coffin.

rubenburgt

The "sequel", which is nothing but a disguised patch, is something that will probably do more harm than good to the franchise.

Despite its many flaws, such as atrocious biased balancing, was the first game not full with microtransactions and locked characters. This will be the case in the sequel.

It is truly the death of the game.

emmerrei

Isn't Overwatch 2 the same game?
Yes, more like a balancing patch, who's add also 2-3 new maps, and 3 new heroes, considering that for years the original game didn't get any of these. Saying it's pathetic isn't enough.
I guess it's more a move to make the game relevant again, nothing more, switching to a f2p formula, like the competition, ensuring some monthly revenues with battle passes and skins at 20$ each. The original game was losing money, holding up the servers for the "2016" leeches, who paid once and never again. This is the only reason why this OW 2 exist. The 2 excuse helps them changing all this.

Last edited:

royox

star-trek-hes-dead-jim.gif

The release of Overwatch is the exact moment when modern gaming lost me

Titanfall 2 = 4 million
Overwatch = 50 million

giphy.gif
I thought like you years ago. Then after some time I understood why. Those games were released when LoL and Dota2 (games where you use "heroes") were at the top of everything. Overwatch was a perfect storm. Easy to play first person game, fast paced, a fuckton of charismatic heroes, super colorfull graphics, Ultimate Skills that can change the match, Play of the Game and millions of internet memes...it was just so attractive to the gaming scene. Titanfall 2 was just "another FPS" in an industry with a lot of FPS.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’m still don’t understand why they had to make all the horrible decisions they did to kill this game. OW1 was one of my favorite fps’s. I’m not touching the sequel until they drop the requirements to give them your phone number. Yea I’d rather pay full price for a game than give out my personal information. RIP.

Top Bottom