• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question now is:

Would you rather have a positive player that is intentionally throwing, or an asshole player who carries you but trolls voice chat in your comp matches?

One things for sure, the GODSLAYER shtick is gonna get old quick with me. Hopefully this doesn't signal MoonMoon's descent into Oversalt.

I thought we were friends here. No need to get into a tizzy over some streamer. Everyone enjoys their own things.

Someone literally asked "What do you guys think about Moonmoon?" and people responded. I agree that we should all just drop it but it's not like all of this just spurred up out of nowhere.

adamy

Banned
The question now is:

Would you rather have a positive player that is intentionally throwing, or an asshole player who carries you but trolls voice chat in your comp matches?

One things for sure, the GODSLAYER shtick is gonna get old quick with me. Hopefully this doesn't signal MoonMoon's descent into Oversalt.

I'll take an "asshole player who carries you but trolls voice chat in your comp matches"...every day all day. Hell, I love playing with these people. As long as we get the W you get my love, regardless of what you say on mic.

The question now is:

Why can't we just have a player that is neither an asshole nor throwing? They don't even have to be particularly positive.
I don't really get why there's only ever extremes available.

Though while I like winning, I prefer not being abused and would pick the first option, which is probably why I'm better off not playing competitive.

antitrop

Eevee is intentionally throwing his placement games on his 3rd account with a 6 stack of people that are helping him do it (so no IDDQD solo-queue throwing) to try to rank from Bronze (or whatever he places from losing 10 placement games) to Top 500 playing solo-queue Mercy only.

adamy

Banned
I'll never understand why people boast about solo queuing or why people consider it admirable or impressive.

Solo queuing is terrible and there is nothing noble about it. Just means you don't have enough people who like playing with you so that you can actually play as a cohesive team that communicates and applies strategy.

DevilDog

I thought we were friends here. No need to get into a tizzy over some streamer. Everyone enjoys their own things.

I'll never be friends with a junkrat main

I got stuck by a random trap while i was doing my ult and a dva bomb exploded on my head :/

Calling others "socially underdeveloped" is an argument now? Well I'll be.

If other players in a team ask him to stop being an asshole or are forced to mute him, then yes - their playing experience is heavily inhibited and he's making them miserable, while also impacting the performance of the entire team.

Also that one bit someone mentioned where he asked a female player to stop so he can look at the ass of the character she's playing causing that female player to cease talking also is not really helping, especially considering there's plenty of accounts of female players not using voice chat at all or simply stopping to play Overwatch because of exactly that kind of harassment. I would bet she was feeling quite miserable.

I do not approve of the female player situation but the rest of it is just nothing.

I'll never understand why people boast about solo queuing or why people consider it admirable or impressive.

Solo queuing is terrible and there is nothing noble about it. Just means you don't have enough people who like playing with you so that you can actually play as a cohesive team that communicates and applies strategy.

wtfisthisshit.jpg at the bold. There are ten thousand other reasons why a player might be playing solo.

adamy

Banned
Well there is the whole everyone has different schedules/friend network thing.

Sorry if my first post wasn't clear, but I was referring to people who take pride in intentionally solo queueing. Or at least claim they are doing it by choice.

Again, I'm talking about people like the Mercy player mentioned above where they intentionally ONLY solo queue.

Or people like me who built a computer last May and left all of his friends on console. Not to say that I haven't made battle.net friends but it's not like I just have this magical friend pool to pull from.

Sorry if my first post wasn't clear, but I was referring to people who take pride in intentionally solo queueing. Or at least claim they are doing it by choice.

Again, I'm talking about people like the Mercy player mentioned above where they intentionally ONLY solo queue.

Not that it matters because there are still reasons why a player might choose to play solo, but you didn't specify that at all. :p

antitrop

Because the idea of being "boosted" is so extremely prevalent, especially when it comes to support players. There's a perception that the only way to climb playing by yourself is to play Tank or DPS, and if you want to climb playing support, you have to duo with a DPS or Tank main that you know is good.

I get what you're saying. Of course there is no reason why most would rather run solo than have a cohesive team given the option.

adamy

Banned
Because the idea of being "boosted" is so extremely prevalent, especially when it comes to support players.

what does this even mean? players doubting your SR/rank/whatever and instead attributing it to the people you group with who carry you, and not your own skill?

edit: just saw your edit, I guess I get it. I'm a Lucio main and I do have to admit, I heavily rely on having a reliable tank and DPS online at all times.

komaruR

I'll take an "asshole player who carries you but trolls voice chat in your comp matches"...every day all day. Hell, I love playing with these people. As long as we get the W you get my love, regardless of what you say on mic.
You sellout! You need to have dignity!
j/k :p
Eevee is intentionally throwing his placement games on his 3rd account with a 6 stack of people that are helping him do it (so no IDDQD solo-queue throwing) to try to rank from Bronze (or whatever he places from losing 10 placement games) to Top 500 playing solo-queue Mercy only.
well, as long its a 6stack of people throwing and not solo throwing, making the other 5 randoms' life miserable.
i kinda had an idea like that too (suggested it a while back) but not enough friends to 6stack a throw. curious how people play in bronze for console wise but then again, after watching more of the people that duo/solo throwing that low and mocking players at bronze, i don't got a heart to do that to them.

hey its for boosting self esteem and somewhat an accomplishment. and yes its also could be a badge for being a loner. :(

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Such as...?

I seriously can't fathom why anyone would prefer playing with randoms over a group of people who consistently communicate and work together.

That's easy, using a similar logic. I don't see how anyone can have the time to create a consistent group who have a life outside the game. :O

But hey, we all have trash opinions anyways.

antitrop

what does this even mean? players doubting your SR/rank/whatever and instead attributing it to the people you group with who carry you, and not your own skill.

Yes, exactly.

It wouldn't be an issue if Overwatch had separate ladders for solo or group queue, but it doesn't, so it is.

Jellie

what does this even mean? players doubting your SR/rank/whatever and instead attributing it to the people you group with who carry you, and not your own skill.

Pretty much that. People think you don't deserve your rank and got carried to it by somebody else who is far better. In solo queue you rely on your self only. A good support can't win a game by themselves as easily as other roles as they can only make a good team even better but can't do anything with a bad team.

Why can't we just have a player that is neither an asshole nor throwing? They don't even have to be particularly positive.
I don't really get why there's only ever extremes available.

Though while I like winning, I prefer not being abused and would pick the first option, which is probably why I'm better off not playing competitive.

Ideally yes, you'd want a player that neither throws nor trolls voice chat.

But given the option I'd take MoonMoon's GODSLAYER over:

Yeah fuck that shit. You've got two GM accounts so I gotta be a part of your descent into Bronze while I'm just trying to hit Diamond? Get that shit outta here.

At least it's a six stack so they're all willing to lose the SR but if it was a five stack and one poor random got involved each match HOO BOY.

?

Such as...?

I seriously can't fathom why anyone would prefer playing with randoms over a group of people who consistently communicate and work together.

??

This. I have close to 50 people on my friends list. Finding a time 6 of those 50 are all available is impossible. Most I've done lately is a 4 stack and that was all Gaffers dedicating time to it and that went out the window after a few days.

For me, my reasoning is the following:

- Coordinating with IRL / GAF friends feels like work at times.

- Most of my IRL friends are way lower than my SR. I've had silver / gold friends ask me to use carry them and hell no. Even my closest ranked IRL friends are outside the 2-300 SR range that I'm usually comfortable with risking losing an excess amount of SR compared to if I play solo queue myself. A two to three stack still has to worry about the other two

- You say having a "team" means more coordination but TBH, I've had more joking / trolling playing with IRL friends than when I solo queue Comp. GAFfers are different but even then we've had sessions where we go 50/50 and some people lose SR as a result.

- Basically I solo queue to not affect other's SR. Sometimes I will duo and tri queue but most of the time I'm solo.

- One can argue that it takes more personal skill and teamwork ability to coordinate with a group of randoms than with a group of friends.

- If I criticize my IRL friends sometimes they take it personally and don't want to play comp. I'm not playing OW for QP, it's too much of a shitshow currently. Arcade for warmup / lootboxes, comp for playing seriously.

It's kind of silly that genji deflect stops melee damage

Fucking this. As a Reinhardt main this season it pisses me off to no end that I can't punish the Genji for diving the wrong target.

Like, ideally I'd be able to queue up every time I want to play with Antitrop, Grief, and so on but Anti got to GM in the same amount of time it took me to get to 2700. I just don't play as much and until I break diamond I am not asking someone 1000 SR higher than me to risk losing their SR to queue up.

I don't care if someone's being boosted as long as they can hold their own. It's the clueless supports hoping to climb SR with their friend who refuse to do anything but pocket their friend that get to me more than anything.

No I'm not salty my last three attempts to break my personal Comp SR have been stopped by a Plat / Gold combo that refused to join voice chat...

I wish there were an option to see your highlight of the game instead of the potg.

It annoys me that i can't even give them a look between most matches.

antitrop

Yeah fuck that shit. You've got two GM accounts so I gotta be a part of your descent into Bronze while I'm just trying to hit Diamond? Get that shit outta here.

At least it's a six stack so they're all willing to lose the SR but if it was a five stack and one poor random got involved each match HOO BOY.

I mean, Eevee coordinated the 6-stack with 5 people who watch his stream and were 100% on board with throwing 10 games, unlike IDDQD, who solo-queued and threw games with 5 randoms who had no say whatsoever in what was happening.

There's really no downside to it, everyone is just talking in Discord and having a good time.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Pretty much that. People think you don't deserve your rank and got carried to it by somebody else who is far better. In solo queue you rely on your self only. A good support can't win a game by themselves as easily as other roles as they can only make a good team even better but can't do anything with a bad team.

Coming from League and DOTA. In solo queue, You have to carry harder and typically know a better/larger variety of units. You can't count a friend who focuses on Damage/Tank while you do Tank/Support. You get stuck with whatever the team decides basically. In League and DOTA, I focused on support and got really good at it since it was typically the role no one wanted. Ended up getting my own demise at a point, since I ended up playing too much support(With the occasional Center/Top), I hardly ever jungled or ADC. When I needed too, ended up never being able to get a good time in without creating an alt account because my unranked ELO was over 2k. So either I had to tank the team, by playing a position I barely knew how to play. Or could up and say I could only play X,X,or X. Where I get no practice in for what I need.

Theoretically, if you are not the issue, your team will always have less of a chance of getting a troll/poor player than the other team. Hence why it's a mute compliant at times. But I would also say a player who can go into any team and win, will be a much better player overall then a fixed team. But this is a team game, so once again, it is a mute point. If you can do one role really well, it's all you need to win. The thing is, having a team that understands and cooperates is the bigger issue.

who said I have a life?

Don't know, don't care about your life, but as someone who hasn't been able to get the time to play a consist schedule in years. Getting a group together is hard. Since I can never offer a singular time or even if I am in the mood.

It's just a shit opinion like stating people who solo only do it because no one likes to play with them. >_>

I mean, Eevee coordinated the 6-stack with 5 people who watch his stream and were 100% on board with throwing 10 games, unlike IDDQD, who solo-queued and threw games with 5 randoms who had no say whatsoever in what was happening.

There's really no downside to it, everyone is just talking in Discord and having a good time.

That's what I mean. If it's a six stack so be it.

But like the other day I got into a match with someone who was admitting they were "too high" SR after placements on their smurf and he was going to throw, but he said "he liked us" so he chose not too.

He then gave us all 5 minutes to queue so he didn't end up in our game again.

Like, I was going to chew him out for it but didn't want him to throw our game. I still reported him afterward.

I don't care if you're a jerk, I can mute you. I care if you go into comp intentionally not trying to play your best and actively refusing to do so. I can't mute your throwing.

Except for the fact that he's about to 1 trick climb the ladder. He may not be forcing players to lose games in order to start the climb but he's going to be forcing people to play around him just like every other 1 trick.

I was talking with a friend and thought about if Blizzard had made it so you couldn't play competitive without knowing at least four different heroes or something. Kind of like how HotS requires you to rank up a number of characters before allowing you to go into the competitive playlist. It'd benefit this game immensely. It might be too late now of course, but still.

komaruR

I wish there were an option to see your highlight of the game instead of the potg.

It annoys me that i can't even give them a look between most matches.

if you do get a good highlight or some play, just press the share button after the end of the match and record the last 15min :p

Skii

Another twitch streamer ruining the game for people at the lower end of the ladder for views. He's going to ruin every game he's in whilst he climbs because the vast majority of the opposing teams will stand no chance and will just waste their time.

Hey guys I'm still relatively new to overwatch. I've been enjoying playing as Mercy and as Bastion but decided to try a new class so I've started learning Winston too. He seems super fun with that jump. Being able to throw myself over buildings or out of fights is super exhilarating. But...he feels really weak at times.

I get that his gun is generally only gonna take down your squishy characters but am I supposed to just bail every time I see a Roadhog? Last night I was getting positively wrecked by those pig jerks. Is there some technique that I'm just not aware of or is Winston just best at throwing himself on an objective, throwing his shield down and bailing out? Basically any tips for using my Gorilla bro?

Vitanimus

Only sombra should have that option.

The devs really dug themselves a whole when they gave Sombra her hacking highlight intro on release. How will they top it?
BtQEkCS.gif

I have met a lot of cool people through solo queue, my only issues with solo queue is when you are forced to play with a five man stack that only bother for each other and you almost always end up working like a neutral NPC that sometimes gets healed by accident.

Hey guys I'm still relatively new to overwatch. I've been enjoying playing as Mercy and as Bastion but decided to try a new class so I've started learning Winston too. He seems super fun with that jump. Being able to throw myself over buildings or out of fights is super exhilarating. But...he feels really weak at times.

I get that his gun is generally only gonna take down your squishy characters but am I supposed to just bail every time I see a Roadhog? Last night I was getting positively wrecked by those pig jerks. Is there some technique that I'm just not aware of or is Winston just best at throwing himself on an objective, throwing his shield down and bailing out? Basically any tips for using my Gorilla bro?

Your job as Winston is to harass the enemy team. Jumping into the backline and attacking the healers while your team capitalizes on their lost focus, standing at the front line behind your Reinhardts shield and putting pressure on the enemy, using your ult to spread out the enemy team... he's basically supposed to be a big thorn in the side of the enemy team that NEEDS to be dealt with.

adamy

Banned

learning positioning is absolutely everything when it comes to Winston

also super important to learn how he moves/transitions in and out of his barrier/shield

Winston is getting buffed soon which will make him much more viable

also, if you have questions on positioning generally speaking, Omnic Lab recently had a decent podcast on positioning in OW

Jellie

Stay away from hog. He can nearly one shot you and can heal more than you can damage. A winston will never win against him unless he's already low with no heal left. Or if you ult and knock him off the map.

Jump at the backline, typically the suppport while the front line is engaged with your team and can't help. He does 60DPS I think so 3.3 seconds to kill the squeeshies. Don't put your bubble down straight away. If you delay it, by the time it breaks your jump is back up. Although if against Ana or Zen I would use it faster to prevent being darted or discorded. Also weave in and out of your shield as it blocks damage both ways so if they are in and you are out, no damage and if you are in and they are out no damage.

He goes well with Tracer and Genji who also go into the backline and can captilise on the disruption caused by Winston.

<grabs popcorn> this should be gud

antitrop

Winston's job is to create space and split the enemy team in half. He's a gigantic distraction that allows the rest of your team to swoop in and pick off the enemies that got split off, allowing the team fight to snowball.

He feels weak, because his job isn't to run around getting solo kills. He's a high skill cap character that plays a lot differently from the other tanks. Winston's damage potential is greatest in groups of enemies, so he's not really meant to be taking on one person at a time, but he can be good at picking off out of position squishies or fleeing enemies.

And yes, Roadhog fucks Winston up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom