• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario The Origami King Announced for Nintendo Switch - Launches July 17th

Hosam6xavi

Banned
This came out of nowhere. Looks great and have some humor moment

The boxart

i0oGqoI.png

Doom85

Based on the pictures, it looks like partners will be back.

Scroll through the pictures right below Mario and Olivia (the new character). I see Olivia, Bowser, a Bob-omb, Captain Toad, and a Magikoopa with him when he's in the environment. Now I never bothered with the Wii U one, but I assume it was just Mario on the journey both in and out of combat. If they go to all the trouble to have all these characters traveling with Mario in the environment, that would suggest to me they're usable in combat as well. It is a shame we're losing the unique party member designs of the first two PM games for just existing characters/enemies (aside from Olivia) but I'll take what I can get.

Edit: Sorry, Bowser's not in the pictures, but rather I saw him beside Mario in the environment in a quick moment in the trailer.

Doom85

I know Nintendo likes to do new things and all, but why is it that series like Star Fox and Paper Mario always have to deviate from the gameplay that people actually enjoyed?

I don't think all the blame can be put on him, but some of it does seem to fall to Miyamoto. Christ, his mindset towards Star Fox is baffling. While making Star Fox Zero, he was worried about making a new Star Fox game "too soon" after the last one. Dude, SF Command came out TEN YEARS before SF Zero, how the hell could that ever be considered "too soon"? Miyamoto seems to vastly overestimate how much people want things to be different with new installments when it comes to certain series, and Star Fox is a prime example of it. Yes, don't release a new installment with zero differences, but no one is asking you to re-invent the wheel every time. Not every series has to solely defined by "innovation" (since I know Nintendo loves innovation, sometimes to their benefit, and sometimes to their detriment).

JSoup

Banned
I just woke up and holy balls more Paper Mario.
I never got to play Color Splash. I don't care it was supposedly not great, it's an adorable cardboard world and I need it.
Instead, I'll take this origami love note and be happy.

Last edited:

SegaShack

I don't think all the blame can be put on him, but some of it does seem to fall to Miyamoto. Christ, his mindset towards Star Fox is baffling. While making Star Fox Zero, he was worried about making a new Star Fox game "too soon" after the last one. Dude, SF Command came out TEN YEARS before SF Zero, how the hell could that ever be considered "too soon"? Miyamoto seems to vastly overestimate how much people want things to be different with new installments when it comes to certain series, and Star Fox is a prime example of it. Yes, don't release a new installment with zero differences, but no one is asking you to re-invent the wheel every time. Not every series has to solely defined by "innovation" (since I know Nintendo loves innovation, sometimes to their benefit, and sometimes to their detriment).
That's crazy his concern with zero. It's mindblowing that Starfox 64 was the last traditional star fox game.

Totally agree that you can make improvements and changes without making something completely different.

TexMex

I know Nintendo likes to do new things and all, but why is it that series like Star Fox and Paper Mario always have to deviate from the gameplay that people actually enjoyed?

This doesn't seem to be a huge deviation from TTYD? I don't see any radical departure from that formula here - what am I missing?

Doom85

This came out of nowhere. Looks great and have some humor moment

The boxart

i0oGqoI.png

I like how of all the heroes, Toad is the most battle-ready of them all.

Toad: I'm going to fuck those sons of bitches up, and then sing the song of my ancestors as I dance in all my enemies' graves! When I'm showering in the blood of all who oppose me, they will know the name Toad!!!
Mario: .....well let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Can't the big N just create a proper sequel to Thousand Year Door? Are they so far away in that island that they can't hear the world concensus that the first two were the best and it went downhill from there?

Please, just merge Super Mario RPG with Paper Mario. Buy the rights to the characters, I want them back. Give Peach a pan and let's go.

DonF

Gold Member
thats awesome and all but...WTF NINTENDO!?

How do they manage to announce a major mario game and release it in two months?! Yet we have no news about bayo 3 or metroid prime 3 4(besides the fact that it was utterly delayed due to a reboot)

like who decided to reveal both of those games and whats with this game announcement? its a 180ª turn. Please, a happy medium! Like...announce a game 6 months before release.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
They didn't even bother to wait for Direct. Probably another throw away title like Color Splash.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Color Splash is one of the best looking games on Wii U. This looks like they took the Color Splash engine and even assets and just made a whole new game with it. Probably had to redesign the battle system from scratch as well, since it was entirely based on the gamepad.

This could be really good. Looks super charming as always.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Only played a Thousand Year Door but I'm down for some more Paper Mario. But damn, July gonna be a hectic month. Deadly Premonition 2, Catherine full body, Tge Last of Us 2 and now Origami King. When is my wallet gonna rest?

Top Bottom