• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario The Origami King Announced for Nintendo Switch - Launches July 17th

StormCell

I don't think we can make any judgement on its quality by it being announced outside a direct. Nintendo said COVID-19 has impacted their marketing plans so I'd expect more Twitter announcements for the next few months. Probably until September.

I think this basically cements that Nintendo will not have a full-length June Direct. We may get a twitter post with some long game announcements and videos, though. Hopefully. I could settle for ~11 minutes of Metroid Prime 4. :messenger_grinning:

Woopah

I think this basically cements that Nintendo will not have a full-length June Direct. We may get a twitter post with some long game announcements and videos, though. Hopefully. I could settle for ~11 minutes of Metroid Prime 4. :messenger_grinning:

Definitely, though I actually think this game wasn't going to be in the June Direct. I think the game has been finished for a while and was supposed to be announced in a big Mario event in April. Then June would reveal the the non-Mario games for 2020.

I think they'll stick to announcing games close to release, so I don't see them dropping MP4 through Twitter but we could see it in the September direct maybe (though I think a BOTW2 trailer is more likely for that direct).

Vawn

Banned
How do they manage to announce a major mario game and release it in two months?! Yet we have no news about bayo 3 or metroid prime 3 (besides the fact that it was utterly delayed due to a reboot)

Well, look at the bright side. This means tomorrow they could announce Metroid Prime 4's release is July of this year. Anything is possible now.

Anything except Metroid Prime 4 coming out this year.

Jbomb19

Here’s some screen shots of the battle system moments in the trailer:

Here's a quick video of the battle system. At first it looked like cards were back (NooOOOOoooOO) but watching again it looks like Mario only has one boots card and one hammer card in his inventory, so seems to be "pick boots or hammer" per turn like in TYD. Maybe you update your hammer and boots card throughout the game to make them stronger?

tkscz

This looks promising! I hope the battle system is decent - it sounds like it will be kind of like Radiant Historia or something where you manipulate enemy positions to line them up for attacks, but it just has a single paragraph on it and no vids.

The battle systems of Sticker Star and Color Splash weren't bad in and of themselves. In fact, the battle system of Stick Star was pretty fun. The issue was there was no reason for the battle system. You waste resources without any payout, even if you win. Coins were pointless as you can get all your resources by exploring, hell BETTER stuff can be found in exploitable areas than in the game's shop. You find health expansions and there is no leveling.

All I want for this one is a reason to jump into battles. Do I get a good payout or do I get nothing? If the latter, why bother with the turn based RPG combat? Just go full Super Paper Mario in that case.

Looks decent but the lack of unique NPCs and Battle system worry me.

Nintendo will probably charge $50 upon release but in a few months it could be as low as

ZUnuBoL.jpg

We will see but I am cautiously optimistic.

Battle system looks like ass, rearrange your enemies and attack...they had one of the best turn based battle systems on the generation when TTYD came out but they refuse to go back to that.

Didn't Nintendo do a Survey and the Japanese fans said they hated the Battle System which is why they never went back to it? Miyamoto didn't want Story in the game but the Battle System wasn't liked by the Japanese (because it seems that only they matter).

I wish we went back to TTYD but I guess they don't see the payoff for some strange reason.

Last edited:

Jbomb19

Here's a quick video of the battle system. At first it looked like cards were back (NooOOOOoooOO) but watching again it looks like Mario only has one boots card and one hammer card in his inventory, so seems to be "pick boots or hammer" per turn like in TYD. Maybe you update your hammer and boots card throughout the game to make them stronger?

In the Japanese(?) trailer, you see Toad as a partner in a battle shot (1:36). So maybe we do get partners at some point, or for some battles?

Collin

Banned
Wow! Did not expect that. And it's releasing in 2 months????

Just please let the combat be good. I know turn-based isn't super cool right now, but god I'd love if it was good.

SuperGooey

19 second clip of the battle system

So, no party members? Again? Enemies are just generic goombas and koopas? Again? Ugh.

EDIT: I guess you may get a generic toad in your party. Lame, but I am interested in the fact that it seems Bowser is teaming up with Mario again.

Last edited:

4EZCOOLDART

Mario RPG is one of my all-time favorite games and I've played most of the Paper Mario games, but I've always found them a bit lacking. I guess I just want the story, difficulty, mini-game density, music, etc. to match Mario RPG and it's just never going to happen without Square at it's peak.

jts

...hate me...
Looks decent but the lack of unique NPCs and Battle system worry me.

Nintendo will probably charge $50 upon release but in a few months it could be as low as

[20 bucks]

We will see but I am cautiously optimistic.
wat

It's $60 and Nintendo won't drop a first party game price like that, much less in a few months. Unless you mean used or so, still gonna be tricky tho.

wat

It's $60 and Nintendo won't drop a first party game price like that, much less in a few months. Unless you mean used or so, still gonna be tricky tho.

Yeah, we might see a Switch "Nintendo Selects" type thing, but that is a long way off. Hell, they took really long with some Wii U titles before they put them on the Selects discount, and you know those titles weren't selling. Maybe in another 3 years.

I'll be there day one for this.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Man I still went and copped CS even after Ryckert’s rant about it on Giant Bomb 😂 It was one of those “I really just need to see this for myself” type of situations.

Returned it a day later lol

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Epic: Unreal Engine 5 Next-Gen Tech Demo
Nintendo: Hold my beer

:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Would people stop acting like TTYD had a revolutionary battle system. It didn't. It was basic as fuck. Get over it!

Annoying Cunt: "God! Nintendo just make the same game over and over again!".

*Nintendo changes it up*

Annoying Cunt: "OMG! Why did they change this game so much? They perfected the formula in the previous installments! Fuck you Miyamoto!!".

Zog

Banned
Would people stop acting like TTYD had a revolutionary battle system. It didn't. It was basic as fuck. Get over it!
How about if we just say that we liked that battle system. Is that ok? Kind of like how some people would prefer that Final Fantasy go back to turn based instead of having characters fly around like acrobats.

*Nintendo changes it up*

Annoying Cunt: "OMG! Why did they change this game so much? They perfected the formula in the previous installments! Fuck you Miyamoto!!".
Different people?

Last edited:
M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
How about if we just say that we liked that battle system. Is that ok? Kind of like how some people would prefer that Final Fantasy go back to turn based instead of having characters fly around like acrobats.

Different people?
Of course. But can people stop saying the battle system in this game is shit... we've seen less than a minute of footage and on top of that, no one has even played the game yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

*Nintendo changes it up*

Lol.

As if Mario RPG wasn't too dissimilar to Final Fantasy in its HP/level progression/etc. mechanics.

Vawn

Banned

*Nintendo changes it up*

This isn't GameFAQs. Calm down.

Zog

Banned
Of course. But can people stop saying the battle system in this game is shit... we've seen less than a minute of footage and on top of that, no one has even played the game yet.

Well, it seems like it operates similar to the battle system in Radiant Historia, which people have played.

Top Bottom