• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario The Origami King Announced for Nintendo Switch - Launches July 17th

Jeeves

I didn't play enough of the two previous games to tell how different the battle system is from them (besides the positioning stuff). I can't tell if I'm looking at combat based on expendable cards or regular equipment. Anyone?

And it said "some partners can fight with you", but they didn't really show that.

Doom85

"What's an adventure without companions to share it with?"

CIdzY3l.png

It only took forever, but Paper Mario just might be back! HELL TO THE FUCK YEAH!!!

Cutty Flam

Banned

An all time favorite track in the soundtrack. There are many but for now I was feeling is one. This entire level (2nd) is top tier Mario if anybody decides to play the game at any point

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m absolutely in love with it’s visuals style. I didn’t play past Paper Mario games so I don’t really have any attachment in how the game should be and I can enjoy the game for what it is.

Cutty Flam

Banned
So fucking pumped

I might watch a playthrough of Paper Mario or even Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

I hope they will pay homage to both in Origami King. And I am 100% hoping that the extreme explorers will be rewarded as finely as they are in Super Mario RPG. That game had possibly the most rewarding secret blocks and items across the overworld, of all time. Seekers of treasure and items and useful things were fully given a reason to check everything the game had to offer. Been dreaming of another effort like that put forth by devs in a Mario game

Astral Dog

I will wait for impressions after how awful Sticker Star and Color Splash turned out but, they nailed the graphics and this Paper Mario looks so gorgeous its probably the prettiest Switch game ive seen, the visuals can only be spoiled by poor iq like that Yoshi game

Trilobit

Gold Member
How challenging are the Paper Mario games? I've been a bit bored with some Mario games lately because they are just too easy unless you go for hidden coins and such.

Is it the same thing with PM also?

carlosrox

Banned
Looking forward to this.

I wonder if I'll like it as much as I did Color Splash. That was a great game that got way the hell too much shit.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm definitely getting this day one. Everything looks really good. I hope the game isn't like, incredibly short or something.

Rathalos

Banned
I've never played a Paper Mario game, are they on the same level as the main Mario games like Odyssey or more of a B team effort?

Collin

Banned
How challenging are the Paper Mario games? I've been a bit bored with some Mario games lately because they are just too easy unless you go for hidden coins and such.

if you’re playing strictly for a the challenge element, you’ll be let down. i love the n64 and TTYD paper mario’s but they are definitely pretty easy games

Cutty Flam

Banned

The first Paper Mario is challenging enough to be fun. There might be some bosses that you’ll be defeated by a time or two. Or some random tough enemies might take you down. It was never too challenging aside from maybe some bosses. It’s more of a vibrant classic Mario-esque adventure with all the friends and more. As a kid, I never had too much trouble with any of them. There are a handful of challenging enemies though. You wont always make the best decisions with the combat at you can be caught off guard at times

The second Paper Mario For the gamecube was a bit more challenging in the way of level design. A bit more thinking in that respect

Super Paper Mario wasn’t challenging. I stopped after that one because I never had a 3DS or a Wii U but despite all the hate, both Sticker Star and Color Splash looked pretty fun to me

They usually tend to be a well paced adventures with nothing too crazy to stop you. You’ll advance with no problem I’m sure. But there are several challenging fights you’ll end up in, having to use the bulk of your resources on at least a couple of occasions that I can think of. Moderate challenge overall I’d say. You’re not going to be thinking and wondering and guessing through trial and error as much as Zelda games will test you for, but these games will require a bit of your attention. You can’t breeze past, you’ll need to invest time into fighting and collecting and wandering a bit to survive and be strong enough to continue

These are fun games. Have you ever played Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars before? That game, although not a part of the Paper Mario series, is really where it all began imo. That is a true challenge. Nearly a perfect game. It’s an epic adventure. Unbelievably fun, charming, challenging, and complete Mario game. We haven’t seen anything like it since and probably never will unfortunately

Astral Dog

I've never played a Paper Mario game, are they on the same level as the main Mario games like Odyssey or more of a B team effort?
Its difficult to say but, imo its closer to a B effort at times.
While the original on 64 and the GameCube sequel are among the best Mario games, the others have a mixed consesus.

Its like Mario and Luigi, the first and third games are regarded of high quality, but the others nowhere close.

Now Origami King looks promising, if it has great reviews i would give it a shot, but there is a risk it could have fundamental gameplay/story problems

Trilobit

Gold Member
The first Paper Mario is challenging enough to be fun. There might be some bosses that you’ll be defeated by a time or two. Or some random tough enemies might take you down. It was never too challenging aside from maybe some bosses. It’s more of a vibrant classic Mario-esque adventure with all the friends and more. As a kid, I never had too much trouble with any of them. There are a handful of challenging enemies though. You wont always make the best decisions with the combat at you can be caught off guard at times

The second Paper Mario For the gamecube was a bit more challenging in the way of level design. A bit more thinking in that respect

Super Paper Mario wasn’t challenging. I stopped after that one because I never had a 3DS or a Wii U but despite all the hate, both Sticker Star and Color Splash looked pretty fun to me

They usually tend to be a well paced adventures with nothing too crazy to stop you. You’ll advance with no problem I’m sure. But there are several challenging fights you’ll end up in, having to use the bulk of your resources on at least a couple of occasions that I can think of. Moderate challenge overall I’d say. You’re not going to be thinking and wondering and guessing through trial and error as much as Zelda games will test you for, but these games will require a bit of your attention. You can’t breeze past, you’ll need to invest time into fighting and collecting and wandering a bit to survive and be strong enough to continue

These are fun games. Have you ever played Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars before? That game, although not a part of the Paper Mario series, is really where it all began imo. That is a true challenge. Nearly a perfect game. It’s an epic adventure. Unbelievably fun, charming, challenging, and complete Mario game. We haven’t seen anything like it since and probably never will unfortunately

Wow, thanks for the in depth analysis! Haven't tried SM RPG, but heard highly of it and would be interested if it comes to Nintendo Online.

I guess I'll get Origami King as a fun summer adventure for my lazy days in the hammock. :)

Ozzie666

Over under in comparison to Luigi's Mansion 3? I had a great time with that, wondering if Paper Mario will be better, on the same level or blow it away.

tkscz

Oh for fuck's sake. It's so close, SO CLOSE! It may not give EXP and that's fine if there is another incentive to fight in battles. The confetti should have been that incentive. It would've been perfect. You battle to get coins and confetti, you use that confetti on exploration, puzzle solving or progression. That would be incentive to battle, BUT you can get the confetti from just hitting things in the environment. Why even have the RPG style battles if you don't get anything of value from them? Why not go with Super Paper Mario's style of combat in that case? Oh wait, they DID do that with the giant goombas. Why not just let it be that for all enemies? Why am I wasting my time in turn based battles that have no incentive to do them? Worse, why make them have fun battle mechanics? The battles look fun but so were Sticker Star's. It's just a waste of time. I'll wait until I see what coins get you, cause having over 3,000 coins in the beginning of the game doesn't bold well at all.

But the issue feels like they are too scared to not hold the player's hand. Rather than making it so that you get something only from battles, they have to make it so that you can get these things else where too, making battles pointless.

HotPocket69

Banned
Good thing Ghost of Tsushima is out that Friday too

Another pass on another “what could’ve been” Mario RPG. Fuck.

Top Bottom