• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC or Xbox - Where will you play Starfield?

Where will you play Starfield?

• Total voters

Fredrik

Only about 2 months left now until it’s time to jump into Bethesda’s big space RPG Starfield.

We’ve seen the gameplay deep dive…

…we know the system requirements on PC…
WZbsi3U.jpg

…we know framerate target on Xbox (30fps).

So where do you plan to play it, on PC or Xbox?

Personally I’ll be on PC, and Steam specifically, someone said earlier that we might not be able to swap exe files for script extender like mods when playing through the Gamepass Microsoft Store version.

Fredrik

Both, but the majority on Xbox.
Why the majority on Xbox?

For me they stumbled on the finish line there with the 30fps target, it’ll be okay for exploring but not the action imo. But I’ll try it through Gamepass to see how big of a problem it is.

Main reason I go with the PC version is the mods, they’ll probably add the big mods on console too but I don’t want to have any restrictions there.

Edit: added a both poll choice

Last edited:
Series S.

Will get full package as soon as available, expansions and all.

For me they stumbled on the finish line there with the 30fps target, it’ll be okay for exploring but not the action imo. But I’ll try it through Gamepass to see how big of a problem it is.

Main reason I go with the PC version is the mods, they’ll probably add the big mods on console too but I don’t want to have any restrictions there.

30 fps is not an issue for me. I will mostly be focusing on my build, which would be jetpacks + stealth. I wanna do a full Dishonoured playthrough.

Guns I will use only if necessary.

Last edited:
Yeah I’m just waiting for them to show the PC version, then I’ll jump in on the Premium Edition for the expansion and days earlier access.

I am thinking premium edition will not include all dlcs. Just first one and early access.

So will be waiting for season pass type of thing if they have one. Don't care much for early access. Doesn't seem to be a good thing to me. Though I have set aside a solid 2 months for the game from my schedule so will not matter to me.

b0uncyfr0

Im leaning towards PC. 30fps is a no go.

I would consider 40fps on the X only if it was a rock solid implementation and didnt compromise the experience too much.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I am thinking premium edition will not include all dlcs. Just first one and early access.

So will be waiting for season pass type of thing if they have one. Don't care much for early access. Doesn't seem to be a good thing to me. Though I have set aside a solid 2 months for the game from my schedule so will not matter to me.
Yeah going by Steam info it’s the Shattered Space expansion and up to 5 days early access.

Not sure what they mean by ”up to” 5 days early access. Can you do something and be locked out from the early access? 🤔

Anyway the early access thing is Microsoft’s way to get around having games ”day 1” on Gamepass while still getting some money from people like myself. It’s sneaky, they lured me in. But it’s alright Starfield will be the first MS 1st party game I buy since like FH3, I’ve been feeding on Gamepass for a long time.
We’ll probably see day -5 patches soon heh

Riky

$MSFT

Because I have one Gaming PC, I have an Xbox Series console in several rooms so I can play anywhere. With the way saves work it's seamless to move between the two.
As for 30fps, no problem with an RPG as long as it's frame paced properly.

Bojji

I play FFXVI right now in 30fps, fuck me...

I even got used to it but the difference is FPP games are far worse in 30 fps than TPP games.

PC ❤️

Reactions: GHG

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
PC. No Xbox yet and unless there is a Xbox pro starfield edition for 2024 that could make me hyped enough to buy it, I won't buy a S/X just for it. I may buy a good PC instead.

Fredrik

Because I have one Gaming PC, I have an Xbox Series console in several rooms so I can play anywhere. With the way saves work it's seamless to move between the two.
As for 30fps, no problem with an RPG as long as it's frame paced properly.
Ah I understand 👍

As for 30fps I don’t think the RPG genre is making it no problem. There is lots of realtime action, both on-foot and in the space ship, I’m thinking the added latency in both flight and shooting could be a problem for some people just like in any other game. It’s going to be personal preference as usual.

But I’m playing Zelda TOTK right now so I certainly understand that it’s not instantly ruining a game 👍

Woffls

I thought I'd be okay with a Bethesda RPG at 30fps... then I tried playing Fallout 76 on Series X. I will be playing Starfield on PC.

smbu2000

Will try out both since I have gamepass ultimate.
My wife is usually on the XSX though so I will mainly go with PC.
Plus I just finished putting together my desktop, so it’ll be nice to put it to use.

Orbital2060

Youre not going to get 60 fps in a game like this with so many variable conditions and areas. Maybe some areas, like the most important hubs and towns can be optimised for 60 fps. But Im not going to expect a game of this size to come in at a flat 60 fps, that would be foolish. Framepacing is more important for this to feel good playing.

Maybe you can brute force 60 fps on a monster PC, I dont know.

StereoVsn

When I play it, which will be a few months after patches and mods, it will definitely be on PC, specifically Steam since some mods still have issues with GamePass games (even Win32 ones ).

Riky

$MSFT
Ah I understand 👍

As for 30fps I don’t think the RPG genre is making it no problem. There is lots of realtime action, both on-foot and in the space ship, I’m thinking the added latency in both flight and shooting could be a problem for some people just like in any other game. It’s going to be personal preference as usual.

But I’m playing Zelda TOTK right now so I certainly understand that it’s not instantly ruining a game 👍

It helps if you force 120hz through the console and LFC.

Fredrik

I play FFXVI right now in 30fps, fuck me...

I even got used to it but the difference is FPP games are far worse in 30 fps than TPP games.

PC ❤️
It actually seems like they’re trying to sell Starfield as a third person game, they’ve barely even showed it in first person perspective.

Still, no matter the perspective there is always cam rotation stutter in 30fps, can’t unsee it and it often makes me motion sick. And it doesn’t help when they destroy the image quality with motion blur in some desperate attempt to hide the stutter.

But the PC version is there day -5 too so I’ll be doing a Souls dodge away from all that 👍

Top Bottom