• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC vs Console in 2024... time to ditch PC?

Zuzu

Thank god that’s not a thing. There are already too much consoles with pro crap.
Unification is the thing with consoles

No, it’s a shame it’s not a thing. The benefits that unification offers are outweighed by the huge disadvantage of stagnant hardware leading to console gamers being forced to deal with increasingly worse performance experiences in their games as the years go on. The single console model in the 360/PS3 generation led to console gamers being forced to play many games with terrible performance if they wanted to remain playing on consoles. If Pro consoles weren’t released last generation then console gamers would have been forced to remain playing at 1080p and sub-1080p resolutions for a long time. Budget orientated base consoles should always exist, but expecting $500 machines to provide for the desires of all console gamers for 8 years is bizarre to me in today’s world. That level of unification and technology stagnation is extreme. Very few customers and manufacturers in other technology fields would tolerate such restrictions on costs and infrequency of upgrades.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No, it’s a shame it’s not a thing. The benefits that unification offers are outweighed by the huge disadvantage of stagnant hardware leading to console gamers being forced to deal with increasingly worse performance experiences in their games as the years go on. The single console model in the 360/PS3 generation led to console gamers being forced to play many games with terrible performance if they wanted to remain playing on consoles. If Pro consoles weren’t released last generation then console gamers would have been forced to remain playing at 1080p and sub-1080p resolutions for a long time. Budget orientated base consoles should always exist, but expecting $500 machines to provide for the desires of all console gamers for 8 years is bizarre to me in today’s world. That level of unification and technology stagnation is extreme. Very few customers and manufacturers in other technology fields would tolerate such restrictions on costs and infrequency of upgrades.
You just have a pc for that. PC is just that.
I don't want to paly console thinking I can get a better one every year with upgraded gpu for 1000$.
Console market is peace, stability and that's comforting. To know that everyone is more/less even and experience that you get is THE experience. no blaming you or anyone else for not getting the better hardware

Hudo

Personally, consoles lost me when they stopped being "just put the game in and play as the devs intended". As soon as they started to have an elaborate OS, account gating and multiple SKUs (Slim, Pro, whatever) that devs have to target with different kinds of specs, I lost interest. At that point I am far better of with an actual PC, where I have more freedom to deal with the additional complexity. Ironically, for all the shit that this forum loves to throw at Nintendo (and sometimes rightfully so), they're by far the least worst when it comes to that in comparison nowadays. So them being "technologically behind" is a blessing in disguise in that respect. But that will obviously only be a matter of time until Nintendo have "caught up" with all the stupid "features".

I've recently visited a friend of mine who has a 6 year old daughter. I showed her my old-ass GameBoy Color (still working!) with Pokemon Silver. She was floored at the concept of just turning the thing on and immediately getting to play.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Personally, consoles lost me when they stopped being "just put the game in and play as the devs intended". As soon as they started to have an elaborate OS, account gating and multiple SKUs (Slim, Pro, whatever) that devs have to target with different kinds of specs, I lost interest. At that point I am far better of with an actual PC, where I have more freedom to deal with the additional complexity. Ironically, for all the shit that this forum loves to throw at Nintendo (and sometimes rightfully so), they're by far the least worst when it comes to that in comparison nowadays. So them being "technologically behind" is a blessing in disguise in that respect. But that will obviously only be a matter of time until Nintendo have "caught up" with all the stupid "features".

I've recently visited a friend of mine who has a 6 year old daughter. I showed her my old-ass GameBoy Color (still working!) with Pokemon Silver. She was floored at the concept of just turning the thing on and immediately getting to play.
isn't it like that still?
Most games just run after installing from the disc offline and with no patches.
And it's not like patches are an option. You connect and game updates.
I can see that argument working in connection to modes - so which mode is the one dev intended?

Zuzu

You just have a pc for that. PC is just that.
I don't want to paly console thinking I can get a better one every year with upgraded gpu for 1000$.
Console market is peace, stability and that's comforting. To know that everyone is more/less even and experience that you get is THE experience. no blaming you or anyone else for not getting the better hardware

No, PC doesn't provide the convenience of the console experience so it doesn't provide for what I would ideally like. I desire a higher end/premium console with better performance but with many of the current benefits of the console experience.

I didn't say that there needed to be upgrades to consoles every year but rather a premium tier for people who want more performance in a console package. Offering Pro consoles and/or a premium tier doesn't mean we need to go to the opposite extreme of yearly console upgrades.

I don't see why your desires to not feel the pressure to upgrade and to know that everyone is getting the same experience should outweigh other people's desire to have hardware that gives them a better experience. Do you apply this thinking to other areas of your life? If you bought a pair of headphones for $500, would you not feel happy with your music if you knew that other people are listening to music on headphones that cost them $1000?

Also, wrt gaming, many games are coming out on PC and console at the same time so you aren't getting the same experience across the board as it currently stands. If you played Forspoken on your PS5, would you feel uncomfortable while playing it knowing that someone else is playing it at a higher resolution, settings and framerate on their RTX 4090? Would you feel the pressure to upgrade to get this experience? Even if that does bother you and you would feel the pressure, why should that prevent the rest of us from having the option to get a better experience. Why should your desire for gaming experience equality prohibit better hardware for the rest of us, especially when gaming experience equality already doesn't exist?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No, PC doesn't provide the convenience of the console experience so it doesn't provide for what I would ideally like. I desire a higher end/premium console with better performance but with many of the current benefits of the console experience.

I didn't say that there needed to be upgrades to consoles every year but rather a premium tier for people who want more performance in a console package. Offering Pro consoles and/or a premium tier doesn't mean we need to go to the opposite extreme of yearly console upgrades.

I don't see why your desires to not feel the pressure to upgrade and to know that everyone is getting the same experience should outweigh other people's desire to have hardware that gives them a better experience. Do you apply this thinking to other areas of your life? If you bought a pair of headphones for $500, would you not feel happy with your music if you knew that other people are listening to music on headphones that cost them $1000?

Also, wrt gaming, many games are coming out on PC and console at the same time so you aren't getting the same experience across the board as it currently stands. If you played Forspoken on your PS5, would you feel uncomfortable while playing it knowing that someone else is playing it at a higher resolution, settings and framerate on their RTX 4090? Would you feel the pressure to upgrade to get this experience? Even if that does bother you and you would feel the pressure, why should that prevent the rest of us from having the option to get a better experience. Why should your desire for gaming experience equality prohibit better hardware for the rest of us, especially when gaming experience equality already doesn't exist?
I understand but I am afraid it would quickly fall into gpu or smartphone market hole of incremental upgrades.
We will get ps5 pro this year so you have at least that.

Your forspoken ps5 and headphones comment is more interesting.
Of course someone with 4090 will have a better experience and of course that could be me. Nothing is stopping me .
Forspoken being even better example than you think because it ran like crap on ps5 on release.
Yet I didn't mind. I've tried the demo on pc, it ran like crap so I at least felt that if I am to play it like crap on ps5 or my pc, I can at least do it with a straight face on ps5 and avoid all other issues that are out of my control on a console.

In a way, it's about finding a place you are content and comfortable in. I drive a Kia hybrid. And no, it's not a ferrari or tesla but I am content and happy with it.
Same with ps5, I could run forspoken at 4k120fps ultra settings but in reality... it would still look about the same and play about the same. And the price would be huge.
This version I play, is specifically crafted for this hardware. And that's the version developers intended.

Otherwise what is the alternative?
Don't play anything because on x platform or in x amount of years it will be 8k240fps?
Maybe stop playing games altogether for 20 years and come back with 2044 hardware to destroy these games.
I understand your argument and there is no way I can disagree.
But I found ability to be content and just take stuff as it is. I was there, chasing hardware, chasing best headphones, buying and returning... This is how you learn about yourself and your preferences.
I just wouldn't want for consoles to become the next rat race. I will get the pro. thats for sure. but pro deluxe would be overbearing

Hudo

isn't it like that still?
Most games just run after installing from the disc offline and with no patches.
And it's not like patches are an option. You connect and game updates.
I can see that argument working in connection to modes - so which mode is the one dev intended?
To me it isn't like that anymore. Too much fiddling around, too much intrusive shit that gets between the game and you, hell I have even seen the OSs of both Playstation and Xbox serving ads within the OS UI. Like what the fuck?
And you tell me what version the dev intended. Suddenly you have a bootleg graphics options menu in console games, where you can choose between "performance" or "quality" mode instead of having the dev focus on one thing and making it the best it can be on the console. What is the best version here? If you read some threads that it seems both options are usually fucked in some way. So I don't know. I'd rather not have the choice and have the dev make one thing. And make that good.

But If that is what you like, then awesome! And clearly, you are in the majority, looking at how much consoles are still selling. To me, this just all feels like a PC but much worse and more limited. And I know I am in the minority here, so clearly that's a "me" problem. I just liked when consoles were simple, without much bullshit. If I have to deal with bullshit, I'd rather do it on PC, where there are better and more tools available to deal with that.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
To me it isn't like that anymore. Too much fiddling around, too much intrusive shit that gets between the game and you, hell I have even seen the OSs of both Playstation and Xbox serving ads within the OS UI. Like what the fuck?
And you tell me what version the dev intended. Suddenly you have a bootleg graphics options menu in console games, where you can choose between "performance" or "quality" mode instead of having the dev focus on one thing and making it the best it can be on the console. What is the best version here? If you read some threads that it seems both options are usually fucked in some way. So I don't know. I'd rather not have the choice and have the dev make one thing. And make that good.

But If that is what you like, then awesome! And clearly, you are in the majority, looking at how much consoles are still selling. To me, this just all feels like a PC but much worse and more limited. And I know I am in the minority here, so clearly that's a "me" problem. I just liked when consoles were simple, without much bullshit. If I have to deal with bullshit, I'd rather do it on PC, where there are better and more tools available to deal with that.
I agree with you 100% on stupid modes.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
It’s so a great experience playing it on a console.
oh-sure-john-candy.gif

Top Bottom