• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC vs Console in 2024... time to ditch PC?

MikeM

Dude are you serious 😂 I say there is to much messing about on PC and I can turn on my whole setup in seconds and be gaming on PS5.

And your response is to give a list of 10 things I need to spend hours troubleshooting 😂😂😂. Like really 🤣
I don't wanna spend hours fiddling with shit

My PC is hooked up to my QD OLED. I've had a PC hooked up to my TV for 18 years lol.

Let me ask you have you ever played on a PS5 hooked up to a 65inch QD OLED and 10 speaker Atmos sound system, that you can turn on and off from the controller?

Because Ive played thousands of hours on both PC and consoles and the current gen console experience is pretty great.

I still use my PC for VR and emulation and Its great having access to a huge back catalogue spanning decades but believe me it's gets hard to keep up with the upgrades and certain problems you run into when PC gaming.

Yes you can get a better graphical experience from PC no doubt, but I could afford to get a sports car that goes 200 mph but I choose just to get around in comfort and economy because it's just easier 🤷‍♂️
I have both my 7900xt PC and my PS5 attached to my LG C1 and Yamaha 5.1 home theatre receiver. Both sound and look great. Use HDMI sound for both. 🤷‍♂️

If you prefer PS5- awesome. But you can use your PC like a console if you force Steam Big Picture on bootup.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
is this a test? I’ll humour you…

Post in thread 'Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III | Review Thread'
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-iii-review-thread.1663096/post-269060472
Only one? You said the forum is full of people having driver issues...

I said it was full of people complaining about stuttering, hitching and driver issues.
So where are those many people having the 3 problems at the same time?

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Yeah, it will never NOT be hilarious, incidentally.
Recent example:
"OMG, Dragon's Dogma 2 drops below 60 fps in the capital on PC and some effects are a bit too demanding.
I'm so much better playing this on consoles where it struggles to keep 30 fps and I have no control whatsoever over its settings, SOMEHOW".
Yeah, one thing folks should understand that a lot of bitching on PC side is more regarding expectations vs how it performs against consoles.

The stutters, shitty frame rates, resolution, bad / broken visual artifacts…. It’s all usually worse on consoles. But you can’t do anything about it.

Well, minus crap UE4 stutters and unwillingness of devs to spend the time to alleviate the issue on ports.

BigLee74

Only one? You said the forum is full of people having driver issues...

So where are those many people having the 3 problems at the same time?

Fuck me you guys are hard work.

I’m not gonna repeat what I said to Topher already, so go back a few posts and knock yourself out.

I also never said all people had those 3 problems at the same time.

I can only assume you’re deliberately being obtuse now. Yawn.

I’m not gonna hold your hand, but type the word ‘stutter’ into the forum search and have a good read. Type the word ‘driver’ into the forum search and have a good read. Etc etc.

Enjoy your PC. I am always jealous at how cheap the games are on it compared to console, but that’s it. I’m over them personally.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Topher Topher , you’re better than that. I didn’t say it was full of driver issues, I said it was full of people complaining about stuttering, hitching and driver issues.

And at no point did I say that consoles were perfect. You appear to be creating arguments that don’t exist.

Enjoy your PC, seriously. It’s just no longer for me, for a multitude of reasons - maintenance being only one!

Your post was simply hyperbole and you know it so you can save the "you're better than that" nonsense.

And I didn't say you said consoles were perfect. I posted a single instance of a problem on consoles as an example that one instance of a problem isn't an indication of widespread issues. You simply missed the point.

I don't have a problem with anyone who prefers consoles over PC. I do have a problem with console gamers misrepresenting PC gaming.

Last edited:

SoloCamo

I don't have a problem with anyone who prefers consoles over PC. I do have a problem with console gamers misrepresenting PC gaming.

The Office Thank You GIF

StereoVsn

I was expecting this response. That said, it's a one and done thing. Overclocking is not a requirement so you obviously can rule that out. You can also run memory at default speeds (no xmp) to guarantee stability outside of a faulty hardware (yes, even the PS5 can have faulty hardware, QA isn't perfect).

Any of the suggested things can be run with zero interaction from you overnight. Run a benchmark loop and check it in the morning. Run a memtest, check it in the morning. Once done, it's done.

Regarding your experience with PS5 and the OLED TV and sound system that can be done better on pc so I'm not sure your point there unless your selling point is you don't have to walk all of five feet to turn the pc on.
I mean to be fair, a lot of folks just don’t want to mess with troubleshooting or optimization and are ok with running lower res/FPS and I can sympathize with that.

I also work in tech and sometimes I will boot up my consoles vs PC as well, lol.

Killer8

Parts have gotten too expensive thanks to Nvidia greed and their competitors basically can't catch up. You either pay out the ass or get a sub-par experience. I can see why tons of people in that poll thread would rather just go for a PS5 Pro for less than the price of a mid-spec card nowadays. The economic choices behind gaming matter a lot.

There's also the issue of stutter and generally bad porting performance on PC. It gets brought up all the time, yet the PC master race will always do their ridiculous little Iraqi propaganda minister routine and claim "works fine on my PC!". I dunno fam, if enough people are complaining about the issue then maybe it means it's actually an issue. It's been enough of one for Digital Foundry to highlight it so much in videos and create #stutterstruggle. A console game that is a bit less sharp or runs at a lower framerate won't kill your immersion nearly as much as 1 second long lurches every few steps.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I have a life and have no intention of playing those games. There's not actually a pc exclusive game I'd buy except age of mythology which outside of Giants Citizen Kabuto is the only game I liked on pc. Actually the sum of all fears was good too.

But the new age of mythology is coming to Xbox so will probably end up on playstation at some point.
Yeah but that's you, more people have interest in those games. PC is the basically the main hub for competitive gaming, the de facto place to go in those cases

buenoblue

I was expecting this response. That said, it's a one and done thing. Overclocking is not a requirement so you obviously can rule that out. You can also run memory at default speeds (no xmp) to guarantee stability outside of a faulty hardware (yes, even the PS5 can have faulty hardware, QA isn't perfect).

Any of the suggested things can be run with zero interaction from you overnight. Run a benchmark loop and check it in the morning. Run a memtest, check it in the morning. Once done, it's done.

Regarding your experience with PS5 and the OLED TV and sound system that can be done better on pc so I'm not sure your point there unless your selling point is you don't have to walk all of five feet to turn the pc on.
You do know I've been a PC gamer for decades right? I know what is involved because I've done it. I've had 8800gtx, had a sli 780 ti setup, GTX 1080, and currently have a 2080. For me I just find that current consoles have gotten to a good enough place and I find it far easier let alone far cheaper to game on console. I'm sorry this offends you 🤷‍♂️

buenoblue

I have both my 7900xt PC and my PS5 attached to my LG C1 and Yamaha 5.1 home theatre receiver. Both sound and look great. Use HDMI sound for both. 🤷‍♂️

If you prefer PS5- awesome. But you can use your PC like a console if you force Steam Big Picture on bootup.
Yeah I've got my 2080 5600x PC connected to my OLED and sound system now. Trouble is that PC struggles with newer games and after spending thousands on PC hardware on 3 or 4 builds I just don't want to spend a nearly a couple grand on a meaningful upgrade. PC is awesome but keeping up with the hardware is definitely a thing. I would love a 4090 and 7800x3d but I can't justify it, especially with the amount I game and my other hobbies/commitments

SoloCamo

You do know I've been a PC gamer for decades right? I know what is involved because I've done it. I've had 8800gtx, had a sli 780 ti setup, GTX 1080, and currently have a 2080. For me I just find that current consoles have gotten to a good enough place and I find it far easier let alone far cheaper to game on console. I'm sorry this offends you 🤷‍♂️

Not offended. If it works for you it works, but people are way over exaggerating issues PC players face. And Crossfire / SLI setups were always a nightmare.

Yeah I've got my 2080 5600x PC connected to my OLED and sound system now. Trouble is that PC struggles with newer games and after spending thousands on PC hardware on 3 or 4 builds I just don't want to spend a nearly a couple grand on a meaningful upgrade. PC is awesome but keeping up with the hardware is definitely a thing. I would love a 4090 and 7800x3d but I can't justify it, especially with the amount I game and my other hobbies/commitments

Your GPU is 6 years old (and wasn't the flagship at the time), of course some newer titles will struggle with settings it has no business running. Yet there is not a single game out there that a 2080 cannot run. The card also released two years prior to the PS5. I'm doing just fine even at 4k with a 11900k / 6900XT setup and that card is close enough to four years old, too.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Last edited:

BigLee74

Your post was simply hyperbole and you know it so you can save the "you're better than that" nonsense.

And I didn't say you said consoles were perfect. I posted a single instance of a problem on consoles as an example that one instance of a problem isn't an indication of widespread issues. You simply missed the point.

Mock offended at ‘you’re better than that’?
Come on, you’re better than that 😂

Ok, my PC is past it now (6/7 years old), but when last used I still had games performing poorly, OS hitches in the middle of them, and crashes due to driver issues. At least by that point, drivers were being updated automatically and it wasn’t a horrendous ordeal involving driver cleaners etc. Those were dark days!

If it’s all a more seamless and performant experience now, then great, I’ll take your word for it. But there are still a million other reasons why I prefer consoles these days (there’s some real hyperbole).

Topher

Gold Member
Mock offended at ‘you’re better than that’?
Come on, you’re better than that 😂

Nah.....it just didn't make any sense which is why I called it "nonsense".

Ok, my PC is past it now (6/7 years old), but when last used I still had games performing poorly, OS hitches in the middle of them, and crashes due to driver issues. At least by that point, drivers were being updated automatically and it wasn’t a horrendous ordeal involving driver cleaners etc. Those were dark days!

If it’s all a more seamless and performant experience now, then great, I’ll take your word for it. But there are still a million other reasons why I prefer consoles these days (there’s some real hyperbole).

I agree with StereoVsn StereoVsn that there is a lot to like about the simplicity of consoles and I've freely admitted multiple times that there is less hassle than with PCs. My experience with PC gaming is quite different that what you describe, even 6/7 years ago. Regardless, I am not going to debate anyone over their personal preference. To each their own.

Topher

Gold Member
🤣 Them were the days. We had 386 PCs when I was in college. Green screen, no windows. Making dildos in CAD. Good times ☺️

No windows and green screens? Think those were prior to 386. More in line with 8088 if I'm not mistaken which I could be. It has been a few decades. lol

buenoblue

Yeah better stuff was definitely available but this was in Corby England in 1992, which had one of the highest crime rates per head in the UK at that time 😅. I actually left there because I got threatened with a knife in the local shop 🫨. Good times 😂

buenoblue

Thinking back all my computers and consoles were old hand me downs back then. I was gaming on a Atari 2600 till like 87 lol. Then my uncle gave me his c64 in 87 ish. Then my parents announced they had bought me a Sega in 1990, a fucking master system 😅😭😭.

Probably explains why PS5 seems good to me 🤣😭.

nkarafo

Probably one of the more overstated negatives about PC that are parroted by folks who really don't know any better. Consoles are simpler. There is no doubt about that, but I don't understand why people need to embellish on that and pretend that PC gaming is such a constant chore. It just isn't.

PC gaming is as much of a "chore" as you want it to be, that's what these folks fail to understand.

You can simply run a game at default settings. You don't even have to click on the options menu, just let it auto-detect whatever it wants and play the game. Which is basically the console experience more or less.
Or you can go to the settings menu and fiddle with them until you get a result that's better for you or your system.
Or you can go Digital Foundry watching, PC wiki studying mode if you want and dive deeper into config.ini fiddling and community fixes/mods territory.

It's your choice, that's what PC gaming is all about.

Now, to be fair, I guess it can be a chore if your OCD doesn't let you enjoy a game while thinking it could look better if i fiddle with it a bit more. I suppose a console locks you out of such temptation. And the idea that devs optimize the games for consoles and the end result is the intended one (which is why i don't generally use graphics overhaul mods). And that all console users get the same experience more or less so you don't gain something but you also don't lose anything in case your settings are wrong.

As always, PC vs console depends on what you enjoy more. Each have pros and cons.

This is the correct answer. I've tried both. I wish I could enjoy PC gaming because of the options but it's just not as easy to use as a console. Regardless of how much PC players want to convince others it is. What I love about PC gaming is my performance in games. What I love about console gaming is everything else. Trophy system works better, social system works better, and on PS I get games quicker. Also I do really enjoy the haptics on the PS controllers.

PaintTinJr

Probably one of the more overstated negatives about PC that are parroted by folks who really don't know any better. Consoles are simpler. There is no doubt about that, but I don't understand why people need to embellish on that and pretend that PC gaming is such a constant chore. It just isn't.
I've been PC gaming since DR Dos, but main consoles - and have done since at least HL2, because when I got home I had to setup a steam account and wait for nearly 2GBs of "update" over fast 512KBit/s broadband at the time to load a game I bought on disc in a store and had already waited for it to install off the disc, before I could play - so am fine with either and can enjoy both,,,,

but inline with your "embellishment" you be the decider, my friend dropped serious money on a PC the other day - against my advice to build from parts - and got a prebuilt with the fastest X3D AMD processor and a 4080 super with little change from £3,000 and yet spent two days without working Bluetooth for wireless Keyboard/mouse and controllers and needed me to spend 3hrs troubleshooting the system to get it working - eating up our gaming time - and without noticing a suss 2006 driver date for the Bluetooth stack in his Windows 11 device manager would have never done a sanity check - in the limited time I had - to retrieve motherboard specific Bluetooth drivers for a working PC with a device manager list with zero missing or errored drivers and a driver update check telling us it had the latest driver for those devices.

The source of the problem was the system was prebuilt and the Asus mobo suite software was installed, but because it hits a license agreement question on launch for the end user, the system builders never progressed to draw down all the drivers leaving some official and some Windows drivers being bound to the Realtek Bluetooth adapter with zero capability, and they clearly didn't test Bluetooth after the system reset for end user first use, and so shipped the system with 99% perfect software but one huge ball ache for my friend that isn't technical and hasn't PC gamed properly since Severance: Blade of Darkness.

Topher

Gold Member
I've been PC gaming since DR Dos, but main consoles - and have done since at least HL2, because when I got home I had to setup a steam account and wait for nearly 2GBs of "update" over fast 512KBit/s broadband at the time to load a game I bought on disc in a store and had already waited for it to install off the disc, before I could play - so am fine with either and can enjoy both,,,,

but inline with your "embellishment" you be the decider, my friend dropped serious money on a PC the other day - against my advice to build from parts - and got a prebuilt with the fastest X3D AMD processor and a 4080 super with little change from £3,000 and yet spent two days without working Bluetooth for wireless Keyboard/mouse and controllers and needed me to spend 3hrs troubleshooting the system to get it working - eating up our gaming time - and without noticing a suss 2006 driver date for the Bluetooth stack in his Windows 11 device manager would have never done a sanity check - in the limited time I had - to retrieve motherboard specific Bluetooth drivers for a working PC with a device manager list with zero missing or errored drivers and a driver update check telling us it had the latest driver for those devices.

The source of the problem was the system was prebuilt and the Asus mobo suite software was installed, but because it hits a license agreement question on launch for the end user, the system builders never progressed to draw down all the drivers leaving some official and some Windows drivers being bound to the Realtek Bluetooth adapter with zero capability, and they clearly didn't test Bluetooth after the system reset for end user first use, and so shipped the system with 99% perfect software but one huge ball ache for my friend that isn't technical and hasn't PC gamed properly since Severance: Blade of Darkness.

Shouldn't have done any of that. Should have just returned the thing right away. That's not an example of "embellishment" though. That's just an anecdotal instance of faulty product.

Guilty_AI

Shouldn't have done any of that. Should have just returned the thing right away. That's not an example of "embellishment" though. That's just an anecdotal instance of faulty product.
Yeah... i have a friend who was building a PC, but he decided to be "smart" and imported some suspiciously cheap motherboard from china (it was like $10). And who would've guessed, thing was faulty and ran a super outdated type of bios.

Electronics in general can be a headache, and consoles aren't different. My sister bought a used PS4 and it kept shutting down for reasons beyond us, and oh boy don't get me started on the "classic" 360 tales which i personally suffered with. Even the ps3 started having issues 2 years down the line.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

But how is that anecdotal? Everyone receiving a PC with a good complex motherboard like that, and with the OS in the proper "first user" state, from any non-major OEM could have the same problem because of the high-end Asus motherboard license agreement for the software. Technically the hardware isn't faulty, and given it is a Personal Computer with software freedom, even the software isn't really broken IMO, just misconfigured.

In the comparison with a faulty console, the hardware would have actually been broken hardware, because the software always works for major features, especially after a reset, and that edge case on PC, really isn't such an edge case IMO for all the free support I've given family and friends for decades to fix those type problems.

Last edited:
How?

Like Flight Simulator, Starfield and Hifi rush?

If I'm in the middle of a game I can quickly pause and join my friends party and start chatting with them. I can't do this on PC with a controller. Even then some games on PC will freeze up on me when I try to alt-tab out of them if I had some sort of mini keyboard. Which is i still a hassle to pull put anyways.

None of those games interest me at all if I'm being honest. Listen I know Xbox guys love those games and good for them but there just not for me. I've always been more of a JRPG guy and just Japanese games in general. Legend of heroes, Atelier series, and Sony exclusives are just what I like more. I don't want to wait to play the new FF game. Legend of heroes seems to be coming to PC same day as PS now so that's no longer an issue but it was at one point.

Performance on PC games is what I love the most but I just want a full console like experience. PC gaming is close to having that but it's still not there. I wont even get into the issue I had with my Xbox controller disconnecting. I still have people messaging me on reddit years later about how to fix it because at one point I thought I did.

Topher

Gold Member
But how is that anecdotal? Everyone receiving a PC with a good complex motherboard like that, and with the OS in the proper "first user" state, from any non-major OEM could have the same problem because of the high-end Asus motherboard license agreement for the software.

Or it "could" just be a single misconfigured PC. No idea. Not going to debate a specific issue that I have never heard of before.

Yeah... i have a friend who was building a PC, but he decided to be "smart" and imported some suspiciously cheap motherboard from china (it was like $10). And who would've guessed, thing was faulty and ran a super outdated type of bios.

Electronics in general can be a headache, and consoles aren't different. My sister bought a used PS4 and it kept shutting down for reasons beyond us, and oh boy don't get me started on the "classic" 360 tales which i personally suffered with. Even the ps3 started having issues 2 years down the line.

My first gig building PCs for a company taught me that lesson quite well. The IT manager loved buying cheap ass obscure shit like that so he could brag about how much money he saved the company. Meanwhile, I'm the guy running around all the time trying to fix all the problems caused by that junk.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
The level of idiocy in this thread is reaching catastrophic proportions.

'Driver issues'. Give me a fucking break. Stick to your iPads and your consoles, you're right, PC building is not for you.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
If I'm in the middle of a game I can quickly pause and join my friends party and start chatting with them. I can't do this on PC with a controller. Even then some games on PC will freeze up on me when I try to alt-tab out of them if I had some sort of mini keyboard. Which is i still a hassle to pull put anyways.
Yes, you can and is even faster with mouse+kb. Never heard of games freezing because alt-tab with mini kb but I don't doubt you.

Guilty_AI

I think the PC defense force gets more obnoxious with every passing month. It's fine for PC to be your preferred platform - it's definitely mine depending on the genre - but the disingenuous arguments and dismissive attitudes are exactly why people are sick of the PCMR bullshit.
Weren't you the guy who went to a very PC-specific thread to console war?

Topher

Gold Member
I think the PC defense force gets more obnoxious with every passing month. It's fine for PC to be your preferred platform - it's definitely mine depending on the genre - but the disingenuous arguments and dismissive attitudes are exactly why people are sick of the PCMR bullshit.

Nothing but reason and logic coming from the console side of these debates, huh?

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

OverHeat

« generous god »
Well you drive a Honda and some of use drive a Ferraris both are cars but guess the one that is the best 😜
You get my drift?

Last edited:
Top Bottom