• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC vs Console in 2024... time to ditch PC?

Topher

Gold Member
This thread started off as an obvious joke and now we're 5 pages in.

See what happens when they let OverHeat OverHeat back in?

Oh No Facepalm GIF by Aminé

memphistora

Neo Member
went from pc gaming to console gaming and now back to pc gaming.

my last consoles are ps4/.switch/xbox x.

Built myself a 7800 XT + 32 inch monitor. i think its decent now for min 100 fps on a wide screen for imersive experience like console.
looking to saving $ from expensive console game these days and those down the hill psn mthly subs for this generation. and of cuz emulation rules these few years.

this generation is finally coming together for ultra settings and gpu are decent priced to game.

new pc also as video editing machine.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
The non-broke among us have both. Stop being poor and buy a rig with RTX 4090 and a PS5 Pro.

A Switch too for that matter.

And if you really wanna be among the gaming elites, a Steam Deck as well.

Can’t forget the PSVR2.

At that point, also buy the NVIDIA Shield and Quest.

Get the ROG Ally. Steam Deck will be lonely otherwise.

No Xbox though.
they-had-us-in-the-first-half-not-gonna-lie.gif

Puscifer

What in the world are you on about?
To get a Mac with the performance and storage I want would be 3K easy, and then you have apple only supporting it for 5-6 years. Sure, you'll still get security updates but slowly lose functionality as apps stop working. Meanwhile laptops that ran 7 ran 8 and 10 just fine

Yes, you can and is even faster with mouse+kb. Never heard of games freezing because alt-tab with mini kb but I don't doubt you.

Well I mean with a controller. That’s what I want is full controller support. I work all day at a computer desk I don’t want to sit down at another desk at home or have some crazy setup to use mouse and keyboard on the couch. I play with my kids near me and my daughter grabs everything she can.

Surprised you’ve never had issues with alt+tab in a game. I’m not saying it happens all the time but it happened enough to not exactly be shocked.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Lol @ driver issues, feels like the early 00s reading some of this posts.

Let anyone play their games however the hell they want but come on, don't go spreading misinformation like that.

JMarcell

If you have a low-end or mid-end PC you are better served with a PS5. Better optimization. However, a good enough high-end PC ( 8-core CPU or more, 32GB RAM or more, RTX 4070 Ti or better) is still better than consoles.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I mean to be fair, a lot of folks just don’t want to mess with troubleshooting or optimization and are ok with running lower res/FPS and I can sympathize with that.

I also work in tech and sometimes I will boot up my consoles vs PC as well, lol.
If that's the reason for preferring consoles, just know that PC games at consoles settings tend to avoid have those weird issues some report, it's mostly the people the want very high fps, RT ultra, ultra settings, 4K, mods, etc etc. At the same time who complained the most. Most of last year issues with PC ports came from people with top end rigs or people with low VRAM Nvidia cards.

RT was specially problematic to some since it brought stuttering to some games like Hogwarts Legacy.

Had those people ran the game at consoles settings, none would have experienced those issues, but yeah not blaming them, just pointing out how running games way beyond some technical boundaries can bring some issues due to developers lack of polish in the game.

Also performance is not specially worse on PC compared than consoles, except for ports like TLOU which is a horrible port, it's mostly people wanting to crank everything up the ones complaining, most of the time you just put the game at consoles or near consoles settings (hell, just top at High instead of ultra) and you're good to go.

StereoVsn

If that's the reason for preferring consoles, just know that PC games at consoles settings tend to avoid have those weird issues some report, it's mostly the people the want very high fps, RT ultra, ultra settings, 4K, mods, etc etc. At the same time who complained the most. Most of last year issues with PC ports came from people with top end rigs or people with low VRAM Nvidia cards.

RT was specially problematic to some since it brought stuttering to some games like Hogwarts Legacy.

Had those people ran the game at consoles settings, none would have experienced those issues, but yeah not blaming them, just pointing out how running games way beyond some technical boundaries can bring some issues due to developers lack of polish in the game.

Also performance is not specially worse on PC compared than consoles, except for ports like TLOU which is a horrible port, it's mostly people wanting to crank everything up the ones complaining, most of the time you just put the game at consoles or near consoles settings (hell, just top at High instead of ultra) and you're good to go.
I know as my main gaming venue is PC. However for a lot of folks they just don’t want to deal with anything extra beyond turning the console on and deciding on performance vs quality mode.

And that’s fine and understandable. It’s not for you or me, but i can see the attraction after you get home after work and only have limited time to relax.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

You really don't have or need to spend $1700-2,000 on a GPU. 4080 Super, 4070 TI Super, 7900XTX, 7900XT would all be fine.
I wouldn't go AMD for GPU.
Edit:He said you didn't have to get a 4000 series and I said if buying today you should.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
There's never been a better time to ditch PC gaming. Now that German has fallen, the rest of the world isn't far behind.

StereoVsn

I wouldn't go AMD for GPU.
Edit:He said you didn't have to get a 4000 series and I said if buying today you should.
Oh, thought you meant a 4090 specifically. I think AMD vs Nvidia depends on price in your country of resistance.

In US right now, AMD mostly doesn’t make sense. However that may be different if price discrepancy is greater. I figure AMD needs a solid 15-20% discount vs similar Nvidia card before it’s worth considering.

So say for a $1000 4080 Super it would mean 7900 XTX should be $850 or lower.

manfestival

Oh, thought you meant a 4090 specifically. I think AMD vs Nvidia depends on price in your country of resistance.

In US right now, AMD mostly doesn’t make sense. However that may be different if price discrepancy is greater. I figure AMD needs a solid 15-20% discount vs similar Nvidia card before it’s worth considering.

So say for a $1000 4080 Super it would mean 7900 XTX should be $850 or lower.
It is basically that and there were deals before the super came out that could be caught around that price in the past. The attitude towards AMD is always weird to me. All of their cards are actually decently positioned against their competition. Especially the 7900xtx since in rasterization it trades blows and at times beats the 4080 super maybe a like 50/50 depending on the which card the game was developed for. I think the only thing from the feature set lacks realistically is maybe that new HDR everything feature(I do love that and use it but its not something I would consider nvidia over amd for). This is especially true at 1440p and 1080p(not sure why you want this kinda power for it but hey whatever).

If you have a low-end or mid-end PC you are better served with a PS5. Better optimization. However, a good enough high-end PC ( 8-core CPU or more, 32GB RAM or more, RTX 4070 Ti or better) is still better than consoles.
Wasn't an RTX 3060 Ti enough to match PS5 levels of performance?

Mid-low spec PC for cross-gen titles and indies.
GeForce NOW for the heavy lifting..

Living the best life.
That's actually a pretty smart approach if it works for you. I have been quite impressed with GFN, too. Also has the advantage of a possibly small, quiet and cool PC, besides a much lower price point, of course.

Last edited:
The gen to ditch consoles was midway through the ps360. The performance on those consoles got so bad, there was no point. The gen to ditch pc is this gen. There are very few differences in the library and any worth while pc game eventually ends up on consoles. Furthermore, most games offer 60 fps on console due to crossgen and some even offer 120fps. Unheard of in the console space. I recently sold my 4090 because after cyberpunk path tracing, there was not one game on pc that justified that gpu. Even in that game, I had to use dlss for path tracing. Some UE5 games were struggling at 4k at just above 60 fps. Imagine spending $2200 on a gpu and having to use dlss. What a joke.

Usually the midrange offers a hugely leap but not this gen. Mid range gpu prices are absurd while the leap is laughable. Look at the 4070 for example, to play cyberpunk path tracing, you need to be at 1080p using dlss. That gpu costs $600 and has only 12 gb of ram. In Canada, it's $800+. When you factor in the price of the other components, it's just a bad deal if you're looking to play the latest games.

Now some people always bring up the argument that you can do more with a pc which is true. However, those who need to do more with a pc either for work, school, etc already bought one. An amd, Intel or Apple laptop is suitable for the vast majority of folks. So again, it's just a bad deal right now to build a pc. Right now, my pc has no gpu and I'm trying to decide what to buy. The price to performance of the midrange is laughably bad from both amd and Nvidia. Any gpu under the 7800xt/4070 is not worth buying but their prices? Yuck.... I might just use the integrated gpu on my 7800x3d and wait for the 5000 series.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

2080/3060 Ti/4060 is enough to beat consoles in the far majority of games. 2070/3060 are a bit slower, but within spitting distance, especially if you game at 1080p.
It really depends, my experience with the RTX 3060 is that it's better at RT than the ps5 but worse with higher resolutions. Its not an apples to apples comparison.

Heck, you can even play Cyberpunk with path tracing if you use a frame generation mod.

Last edited:
It really depends, my experience with the RTX 3060 is that it's better at RT than the ps5 but worse with higher resolutions. Its not an apples to apples comparison.

Heck, you can even play Cyberpunk with path tracing if you use a frame generation mod.

Much like Crysis, I consider Cyberpunk to be a timed PC/Steam exclusive due to there being such a large difference in quality between the versions, much like when the Wii would receive mediocre/downgraded ports compared to PS3 and 360. When PS6 and XSX2 can run Cyberpunk like that video, the exclusivity will end imo.

Kataploom

Gold Member
The problem is optimization. Yes, in theory a 3060 matches PS5 in performance, but console versions of games are better optimized than PC ports for a number of reasons.
Whenever we compare PC GPUs to consoles GPUs we don't mean actual specs, but in real time scenarios, the actual FPS a game give you at console. But just so you know, there's almost no difference between actual specs and expected performance, consoles and PC versions of a game run very close if not basically the same, save for some nasty ports (TLOU on PC, the example that never misses the point).

I just ditched my PS5. No ragrets.
Did the same just a couple days ago. Stellar Blade for me was the final nail in the coffin since I didn't find it bad at all, but am willing to wait for the PC port later down the line. Besides that one game, there really is nothing that could convince me to go back to this closed ecosystem with horrible pricing you can do shit against as a customer.

Zuzu

I wish there was an option for proper premium consoles. Like something that costs 1000+ US dollars. I would love a console that performs more in line with a high end PC while having the convenience of a console. We get premium options in most other tech markets: phones, laptops, tablets, headphones, speakers, TVs. I wish this was available in the console market as well.

Fredrik

I just ditched my PS5. No ragrets.
Did the same just a couple days ago. Stellar Blade for me was the final nail in the coffin since I didn't find it bad at all, but am willing to wait for the PC port later down the line. Besides that one game, there really is nothing that could convince me to go back to this closed ecosystem with horrible pricing you can do shit against as a customer.
No ditching yet but I only use it for Bluray movies and demos. The new PC is in the living room and plays the games better, can use mods, and is more silent.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I wish there was an option for proper premium consoles. Like something that costs 1000+ US dollars. I would love a console that performs more in line with a high end PC while having the convenience of a console. We get premium options in most other tech markets: phones, laptops, tablets, headphones, speakers, TVs. I wish this was available in the console market as well.
Thank god that’s not a thing. There are already too much consoles with pro crap.
Unification is the thing with consoles

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
How many games were not patched yet?

Enjoy your stutter free 720p, 20~30fps games. /s

I am enjoying pc gaming, unlike people like you that have little to no idea how is the current state of it.
What the hell. Criticising people for having no idea about current state of pc gaming, meanwhile absolutnie having no idea about current state of console gaming.
Even as a joke, that’s disgustingly offensive.
And even if so, even if game performs poorly like dragons dogma2… that’s not the whole story. I finished it without a single crash, great graphics and resolution, fps locked to 30 outside few hitches. It was good experience. Worst fps this gen for sure but it was a bother maybe for 15 minutes of playing. It’s so a great experience playing it on a console.
I chose it on ps5 over pc for these reasons. I see how it crashes and stutters for streamers. Sure, they get 60 fps outside of towns but I don’t mind

Top Bottom