• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Dark Zero Review - Far From Perfect

The Shepard

I tried replaying this on xbox one and it has not aged well. Was the first 360 game I ever played at launch. I remember it looking like it had been dipped In vaseline at the time, next gen shine. The funny thing is halo one came out years before and still plays better then most shooters to this day.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Trying to trick Rare fans ;)? You can't get me with that, I don't like PD anyway.

Loke

2005 memes.

WallGuy.jpg

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Perfect Dark Zero is a first-person shooter developed by Rare and published by Microsoft Game Studios. It was exclusively released as a launch title for the Xbox 360 video game console in 2005. The game is part of the Perfect Dark series and a prequel to the original Perfect Dark. The story of the game follows Joanna Dark, a bounty hunter working with her father and a computer hacker, as she joins the Carrington Institute agency to prevent a rival corporation from gaining possession of an ancient artefact which endows individuals with superhuman powers.

Perfect Dark Zero features a campaign mode consisting of 14 missions that can be played solo or co-operatively, and a multiplayer mode where a maximum of 32 players can compete against each other in numerous types of deathmatch and objective-based games. Both the co-operative and multiplayer modes support split screen, system link, and the Xbox Live online service. The game was under development for five years and was originally intended to be released for the GameCube and later the Xbox. During development, several intended features were canceled so that the game could meet the Xbox 360 launch.

Upon release, Perfect Dark Zero sold more than one million copies worldwide and received generally positive reviews from critics, who praised its graphics and numerous multiplayer modes. However, some critics felt that the game did not meet expectations, criticising single-player aspects such as its story and voice acting. After its release, the game was supported with downloadable content, expanding its multiplayer mode with new maps and new types of computer-controlled bots. In 2015, the game was included in the Rare Replay video game compilation for Xbox One.

I 'member playing this in the college science hall on a projector that was past due to have the bulb replaced. It was really dark, and hard to see what was going on in the game.
Perfectly Dark, you might say.

KellyNole

I enjoyed it at the time, single and multiplayer, but after going back to it a few weeks ago I realized it was the nostalgia that made me think it was a fun and decent ent game. It was the fist really xbox game I played online with friends after we all moved away to college. Chatting and playing was just fun. I think it was more of that experience now than actually liking the game.

It’s kind of neat going back and seeing what games actually hold up.

Bragr

Banned
I tried replaying this on xbox one and it has not aged well. Was the first 360 game I ever played at launch. I remember it looking like it had been dipped In vaseline at the time, next gen shine. The funny thing is halo one came out years before and still plays better then most shooters to this day.
Yeah, Perfect Dark Zero has aged in the worst way, they tried to do some "unique" aiming and cover mechanics that no one else did and it makes the game feel so outdated that you have to play it for an hour just to get somewhat used to it.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Early 360 rare games are my guilty pleasure. They all have this distinct look to them and I can't help but to like it.
Let it be Kameo , Nuts and Bolt or Viva Pinata. I don't mind its clunkyness and unusual control scheme. It's all about the unic, distinct feeling of playing a Rareware game at the 360 era.

jonnyXx

This was one of the first X360 games I bought and I was so hyped for it. I actually never played the original but Goldeneye was one of my favorite games on the N64.
What a disappointing game it turned out be... I gave it so many chances, thought maybe it would eventually click with me but nope.
It's just a trash game in every way that counts even for it's time.

oldergamer

This was one of the first X360 games I bought and I was so hyped for it. I actually never played the original but Goldeneye was one of my favorite games on the N64.
What a disappointing game it turned out be... I gave it so many chances, thought maybe it would eventually click with me but nope.
It's just a trash game in every way that counts even for it's time.
Full agree with you. The n64 game was also hot garbage imo

RAIDEN1

I downloaded the original from Gamepass a few hours ago, as I remember I brought it for the N64 back when it released with its expansion pack but never got into it...as much as I did with GoldenEye for example

SkylineRKR

Game is horrible with awful level design and AI. And controls. But I have fond memories of it, it was my first 360 game and also the first one I played online.

Game was originally developed for the older generation. Got pushed back, then MS bought Rare. Art direction completely changed. And they wanted to have something for launch, this game feels like the definition of being rushed.

cireza

I wonder how Rare would have become if they’d remained a Nintendo studio…
Look at Camelot. And they didn't even became a Nintendo studio, still they are stuck iterating on Mario sport spinoffs. These guys once made games like Shining Force and Golden Sun.

Top Bottom