• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest |S2 OT| Not For The Weak-Kneed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

Question: I've never seen this show besides the pilot and 102. What are like 5 episodes to watch to really understand the best procedural elements of POI? Not really the serialized stuff. Thanks.
Honestly, I would just keep going. The serial elements are pretty much Burn Notice levels of how much time they take up in the episode versus the procedural parts, except they aren't written by Burn Notice writers, so the serial elements go somewhere. I guess you can ignore those but they do a good job with having a brisk pace with it and the show has a Nolan which doesn't revel in plot holes to be a huge concern or feel sour when they ramp up.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It's not about "picking up things the government is doing". It's not picking up threats ON Government people. Potentially could mean to have a terrorist act on something in the Government.

Question: I've never seen this show besides the pilot and 102. What are like 5 episodes to watch to really understand the best procedural elements of POI? Not really the serialized stuff. Thanks.

Man, this is like the one series that you should completely watch. It's just that good. These past weeks I have re-watched all the episodes, and man, they're just excellent.

Just one more week for an episode! (This wait is killing me)

tirminyl

It was just a formality, but Person of Interest was officially renewed today along with damn near every other CBS show.

So happy! They should just go ahead an renew S4 as well!

Everything from the beginning in order.

But seriously, PoI isn't the kind of show where I would skip a few episodes. Watch everything (so you don't miss out on all the awesome scenes with John).

ibojRcsRFFFc7M.gif

What this man said! I don't you can necessarily skip around. Personally, there is no bad episode in POI. All have been great episodes. A lot of them have caused me to scream "best episode yet" but I am in no way disappointed by any other episodes. That is a rarity for me.

The serialized stuff is really important and weaves through most, if not all, episodes of the show (there are multiple antagonists and plotlines). But if you're looking for just the best one-offs, here's what I'll recommend:

Season 1, Episode 4: Cura Te Ipsum
Season 1, Episode 8: Foe
Season 1, Episode 21: Many Happy Returns - This is one of those "personal backstory" episodes, it's not really related to the overarching storyline, but it does give you the backstory on one of the main characters. Good episode.

Season 2, Episode 14: One Percent
Season 2, Episode 17: Proteus

There are lots more great episodes in Season 2, but they've begun arcing storylines (so, like 4 episodes are part of one long storyline), so if you don't want serialized stuff, I can't put it on the list. But man, trust me. This is a fantastic show. There haven't been any bad episodes at all. The serialized and overarching plotlines are really engaging, easy to follow, but super interesting. Deals with a lot of interesting themes like AI and surveillance.

If you can, watch in order from the beginning. But the ones I listed above you can probably watch at any point so it won't confuse you.

Sober

Eh, Proteus is still sitting at the bottom of S2 for me even though I guess it's okay. Many Happy Returns is still god tier though, don't care if it's flashback or not.

2x07 - Critical is pretty standalone, actually. Super tense and everything.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Guess it depends on how you feel about that type of storyline (in Proteus). If you solve the episode early, instead of letting the Episode "reveal itself to you", it might lessen the "Reveal" of the episode. Which to me, was just a great moment: visually, audibly, and storywise.

Eh, Proteus is still sitting at the bottom of S2 for me even though I guess it's okay. Many Happy Returns is still god tier though, don't care if it's flashback or not.

2x07 - Critical is pretty standalone, actually. Super tense and everything.

Yeah, Critical was really good. That's the one that introduced Wesley, right?

Guess it depends on how you feel about that type of storyline (in Proteus). If you solve the episode early, instead of letting the Episode "reveal itself to you", it might lessen the "Reveal" of the episode. Which to me, was just a great moment: visually, audibly, and storywise.

Yeah, the twist is obvious. But the actual scene between Finch and the PoI is stellar. Crackling even.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
What's with the long-ass break? :( I so want to know what's next.

Also, episode 22 being titled God Mode makes me think either Root, or some other villain will get access to the machine...

Madtown_

There's one next week and then a week off again, I think.
Really though, two weeks off isn't that bad.

The thing I don't like is how CBS seems to favor Elementary over POI. Person of Interest is a much better show..but perhaps not as 'procedural' as cbs likes.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
There's one next week and then a week off again, I think.
Really though, two weeks off isn't that bad.

The thing I don't like is how CBS seems to favor Elementary over POI. Person of Interest is a much better show..but perhaps not as 'procedural' as cbs likes.

But POI rates higher, right? From what I know, it garners 13+ mil every episode? That's huge.

Elementary is alright. It's no Sherlock, it's no POI, either. But I like it still.

So one episode this week and another week off?? Damnit! I hate it when that happens. Ah, well, at least Burn Notice is set to come back soon! :D

Spoilers == Episode names.
04th April -
Trojan Horse
25th April -
In Extremis
02nd May -
Zero Day
09th May -
God Mode

Last 4 episodes? Or 23 episodes like Season 01?

Madtown_

Are those really spoilers? They're on wikipedia. It's not as if the name of the episode gives away the episode. ex: 'Relevance', 'Proteus'? You can get a clue about the theme perhaps, but that'd be about it.

But POI rates higher, right? From what I know, it garners 13+ mil every episode? That's huge.
Yeah, lately the average well above 14 million. Doing very well. I didn't really give Elementary a chance. I thought the first few episodes were lackluster and stopped after that.

Are those really spoilers? They're on wikipedia. It's not as if the name of the episode gives away the episode. ex: 'Relevance', 'Proteus'? You can get a clue about the theme perhaps, but that'd be about it.

There are usually people on complete blackouts. Doesn't hurt to put them behind a spoiler tag.

Sober

CBS knows it's a hit, it's pretty much their flagship drama at this point with like 13m people watching it or so, and they know it does really well with the nerd (?) slash wish-a-sci-fi-show-would-stop-getting-canceled-and-be-the-best-show demographic, so they know that they can afford to put it on break because we're hooked and it's not in the danger of being canceled.

My choices would be:
Foe (Season 1 episode 8)
Witness (Season 1 episode 7)
Proteus (Season 2 episode 17)
One Percent (Season 2 episode 14)
Til Death (Season 2 episode 8)
Many Happy Returns (Season 1 episode 21)

Maybe some other episodes, but those are some of the more memorable ones for me, that lie (mostly) outside the Serialized portions of the show.

Great choice, still my favorite episode.

Lonestar

Strange, until recently, there seemed to be a 23rd episode this year, but now the wiki only shows 22.

ivysaur12

Banned
So happy! They should just go ahead an renew S4 as well!

What this man said! I don't you can necessarily skip around. Personally, there is no bad episode in POI. All have been great episodes. A lot of them have caused me to scream "best episode yet" but I am in no way disappointed by any other episodes. That is a rarity for me.

I'm not watching it for enjoyment, I need to watch it for research. I might get back to the show eventually, but the reason I asked was because I need to get procedural episodes that get to the DNA of the show. That was the reason I specifically asked for procedural episodes.

My choices would be:
Foe (Season 1 episode 8)
Witness (Season 1 episode 7)
Proteus (Season 2 episode 17)
One Percent (Season 2 episode 14)
Til Death (Season 2 episode 8)
Many Happy Returns (Season 1 episode 21)

Maybe some other episodes, but those are some of the more memorable ones for me, that lie (mostly) outside the Serialized portions of the show.

The serialized stuff is really important and weaves through most, if not all, episodes of the show (there are multiple antagonists and plotlines). But if you're looking for just the best one-offs, here's what I'll recommend:

Season 1, Episode 4: Cura Te Ipsum
Season 1, Episode 8: Foe
Season 1, Episode 21: Many Happy Returns - This is one of those "personal backstory" episodes, it's not really related to the overarching storyline, but it does give you the backstory on one of the main characters. Good episode.

Season 2, Episode 14: One Percent
Season 2, Episode 17: Proteus

There are lots more great episodes in Season 2, but they've begun arcing storylines (so, like 4 episodes are part of one long storyline), so if you don't want serialized stuff, I can't put it on the list. But man, trust me. This is a fantastic show. There haven't been any bad episodes at all. The serialized and overarching plotlines are really engaging, easy to follow, but super interesting. Deals with a lot of interesting themes like AI and surveillance.

If you can, watch in order from the beginning. But the ones I listed above you can probably watch at any point so it won't confuse you.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Lonestar

Things go south quickly for the boys.

Thankfully, no way Shaw is a bad guy.

No way...

Didn't sound the horn, cause I was talking to Mom about Grandma, but I've caught up on the DVR.

Lonestar

and kind of missed all that, with explosive toiletry...So, I heard it all, but didn't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom