• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer wants to buy Nintendo: i honestly believe a good move for both companies

Pelta88

Im going to assume you're too stupid to actually understand anything in that article.

Lay off the crackpipe.

Yeah sure mate, and who do you think's in charge of Nintendo? Dick Dastardly and fucken Wile E Coyote?

craig fairbrass pat tate GIF by Signaturee Entertainment

I've updated the OP to include the email where Phil lays out the strategy specifically.

Dane

He says that one of their investors bought enough shares that can enable a speaking position at report meetings but in a higher position and bridge more deals, not an acquisition because they don't even have the money in the first place, remember the person who bought 50k USD or something like that to ask where's F-Zero?

Raven77

This would kill the gaming industry as we know it.

Edit - this would take 1 to ~2 decades

What people fail to realize is that Nintendo is the only company making gaming consoles and games for the younger generation. It is Nintendo versus the garbage mobile gaming industry. By fighting this war, mostly alone, save for a few E for Everyone games from Ubisoft, etc, Nintendo allows kids to "get into gaming".

They then grow up and play the other consoles with their Teen and eventually Mature games.

If Nintendo dies, so does the industry as we know it. And if MS buys them, it WILL die. Look at their track record.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I've updated the OP to include the email where Phil lays out the strategy specifically.

This email outlining Phil's thoughts 3 years ago in absolutely no way signals that Microsoft will be buying majority shares in Nintendo. At all.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
This would kill the gaming industry as well know it.

What people fail to realize is that Nintendo is the only company making gaming consoles and games for the younger generation. It is Nintendo versus the garbage mobile gaming industry. By fighting this war, mostly alone, save for a few E for Everyone games from Ubisoft, etc, Nintendo allows kids to "get into gaming".

They then grow up and play the other consoles with their Teen and eventually Mature games.

If Nintendo dies, so does the industry as we know it. And if MS buys them, it WILL die. Look at their track record.
It wouldn't kill gaming, but the industry would be in trouble. Yes.

GHG

Nope. Phil Spencer speculates there's an inroad does not equal "microsoft is buying nintendo!!!!"

It's like you don't even live in the real world.

Nothing is implied, nothing is being speculated upon, it's all there in black and white (including the methods they are using to attempt this).

SBDDCe7.png

Currently it is you who is choosing to not live in the real world, which is a bit of a shame considering the fact that there is much to discuss.

If you care to read, watch/listen and do further research of your own regarding this then here is a good starting point for you:

At this stage it's about influence, not a direct buy out. If you look at valueact's history they have a knack of wholesale buying up shares in businesses and then strategically putting people in place at those businesses which enables the company whom they are working on behalf of (as a proxy) to benefit in some way (look up the situation at Olympus which led to them selling off their imaging business, search "valueact new York times", also look up the amount of influence they managed to have at Adobe, and even Microsoft, which coincidentally was one of their first big "wins" as an activist investing business).

So step one would be inserting people (or even themselves) into the Nintendo BOD and then using those people to influence from within. The biggest issue in this situation is the fact that it's come to light via Spencer's email that Mason Morfit is not working alone (in that he's not acting solely on the best interests of ValueAct), Spencer is using him as a Proxy to gain influence over the Nintendo board with the end goal of softening them up to the ideal of a deep partnership/collaboration with Microsoft (or even a buyout).

My feeling is that the wheels are already in motion, especially considering how quick Nintendo were to sign that Activision deal.

Alarm bells should be ringing at Nintendo HQ, the imposters are likely already in place.

Either that or you can continue to bury your head in the sand, which I'd advise against considering the fact that this subject of discussion isn't going to disappear any time soon.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Microsoft are not buying Nintendo shares.

That has never (and will never) be the goal of such a methodology.

I'll rephrase. Nintendo aren't selling out. To anyone.

Del_X

Nothing is implied, nothing is being speculated upon, it's all there in black and white (including the methods they are using to attempt this).

SBDDCe7.png

Currently it is you who is choosing to not live in the real world, which is a bit of a shame considering the fact that there is much to discuss.

If you care to read, watch/listen and do further research of your own regarding this then here is a good starting point for you:

Either that or you can continue to bury your head in the sand, which I'd advise against considering the fact that this subject of discussion isn't going to disappear any time soon.

Have you ever bought a significant amount of a stock?

The amount required to buy a majority share can't happen without incurring massive slippage. Then there's the issue of shareholder activism requiring a realistic profit motive to say "let microsoft buy you" which may not be in the interest of all shareholders. There's a lot of steps to get from "hey my guy works at ValueAct" to "we bought Nintendo!"

That's a lot of steps you're taking to indulge in this little fantasy.

GHG

Shades of "the deal will easily pass".

Ironically that's why we are even discussing what we are now. Funny how things transpire sometimes.

Have you ever bought a significant amount of a stock?

The amount required to buy a majority share can't happen without incurring massive slippage. Then there's the issue of shareholder activism requiring a realistic profit motive to say "let microsoft buy you" which may not be in the interest of all shareholders. There's a lot of steps to get from "hey my guy works at ValueAct" to "we bought Nintendo!"

That's a lot of steps you're taking to indulge in this little fantasy.

So you read nothing and your head is still in the sand. Good day sir.

Last edited:

Artistic

I don’t agree with acquiring Nintendo. Not at its current stature in the industry.

The turn on Mr. Spencer is rather interesting though.

GHG

I'll rephrase. Nintendo aren't selling out. To anyone.

Olympus were never selling out to anyone until valueact got involved and got their claws into them.

Same goes for Microsoft and Ballmer being forced to leave until Morfit arrived on the scene.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm sure that the Nintendo execs are smart enough to read between the lines, hence why they've been buying back stock like crazy for the past several years.

Stock buybacks aren't really a tool companies use to hedge against a hostile takeover. They're usually done to increase the value of the remaining outstanding shares and shareholder equity. Those buybacks are probably being done to increase the value of the stock equity portion of director compensation since Nintendo's directors tend to take relatively modest salaries compared to other tech companies.

Pelta88

For the record...

Nintendo buying back shares doesn't stop Microsoft's acquisition plans. If Mason Mortif of Valueact acquires enough shares he has influence over the board. What Microsoft is proposing would be a hostile takeover. With Valueact venture capitalist holding enough shares, they get to make it look organic.

Thinking Nintendo will never sell willingly is ok. Thinking that the hostile strategy, Microsoft has laid out explicitly in their internal emails, wont succeed, is ignorance.

lmao their window for a takeover was when the WiiU flopped

now Nintendo has what may become the top selling console of all time, a budding multibillion dollar movie studio, and theme parks. they are becoming the next Disney

god i wish these slimeball boomer fucks at Microshit would just fuck off from gaming forever

GHG

For the record...

Nintendo buying back shares doesn't stop Microsoft's acquisition plans. If Mason Mortif of Valueact acquires enough shares he has influence over the board. What Microsoft is proposing would be a hostile takeover. With Valueact venture capitalist holding enough shares, they get to make it look organic.

Thinking Nintendo will never sell willingly is ok. Thinking that the hostile strategy, Microsoft has laid out explicitly in their internal emails, wont succeed, is ignorance.

Technically it's not a hostile strategy, that's why this methodology is difficult to guard against.

ScHlAuChi

1. Why would any regulator allow that?
2. Why would the japanese goverment allow that?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Switch was a huge story for Nintendo a phenomenal console hybrid we have never seen before and the greatest turnaround in gaming history.

Deerock71

Reason #78474628293 why Microsoft are the Cancer of the gaming industry. They don’t wanna create anything worthwhile or add to gaming, they just want to buy and gobble up everything. A shitty company to be honest. It’s why I’ve never really believed the “good guy Phil” bullshit and Kumbaya talk from Phil all these years. I can see right through their bullshit.

No company or person that cares about gaming would want Nintendo to go broke or bankrupt. The guys over at MS are truly assholes that don’t give a shit about this hobby of ours.
star trek picard GIF

Someone needs to put Phil's head here.

Pelta88

Technically it's not a hostile strategy, that's why this methodology is difficult to guard against.

They're looking for influence via the purchase of billions of shares through the venture capitalist company that would act as a subsidiary in the purchase of Nintendo.

That aside, I'm amazed at how many people are willing to bury their head in the sand. Despite the email laying out the strategy explicitly. Phil Literary states that Valueact is their only way to purchase Nintendo and certain folk on gaf are like

shannon-sharpe-shay.gif

Last edited:

Pelta88

1. Why would any regulator allow that?
2. Why would the japanese goverment allow that?

1. Because in the United States the regulator might have to argue their case before a judge who son works for Microsoft.

2. Because shares are traded on the open market. Not in Japan, specifically.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

What does that mean? How is "winning" defined for that? Genuinely curious. I always hear people talk about "company X has won this generation" or whatever. But what does that even mean?

They have never sold the most units. Maaaaybe they had the most revenue in PS360?

But they have never had the highest install base - not even against just Sony. Ever.

Man Microsoft, feels we're going back in time to the 90s. Can't beat them then buy them out or starve your competition by buying everything up.
They have the most developers and soon the biggest 3rd party publisher with Activision but they want to buy even more.
Pathetic and harmful to the industry. Consolidation is never good.

xiskza

Phil Spencer said:
"The unfortunate (or fortunate for Nintendo) situation is that Nintendo is sitting on a big pile of cash, they have a BoD that until recently has not pushed for further increases in market growth or stock appreciation. I say 'until recently' as our former MS BoD member ValueAct has been heavily acquiring shares of Nintendo and I've kept in touch with Mason Morfit as he's been acquiring. It's likely he will be pushing for more from Nintendo stock which could create opportunities for us."

It's not just locker room talk. They're explicitly saying that they hope ValueAct/Mason Morfit will pressure Nintendo to use up their capital through market expansion, which will create an opportunity for Microsoft to acquire Nintendo when the latter has less cash on hand. It's much more nefarious than just wanting to acquire Nintendo. They want to forcibly create a situation where Nintendo fails through unsustainable growth and buy them up.

This is missed in a lot of the reports where they just focus on Phil hoping to acquire Nintendo. I think Microsoft having an actual plan to force Nintendo to fail is quite alarming and anti-competitive. It's leaning towards corporate sabotaging.

lefty1117

Gold Member
At the very least use their own hoard of cash to buy into a partnership that sees Ninty stuff release on Xbox. Don't necessarily gotta buy the whole company.

GHG

They're looking for influence via the purchase of billions of shares through the venture capitalist company that is basically a subsidiary in the purchase of Nintendo.

That aside, I'm amazed at how many people are willing to bury their head in the sand. Despite the email laying out the strategy in no uncertain terms. Phil Literary states that Valueact is their only way to purchase Nintendo and certain folk on gaf are like

shannon-sharpe-shay.gif

Microsoft have no interest in the shares themselves and never will. The shares are what enable Valueact to do the dirty work in the background.

Through this kind of methodology (which is the very "long game" Phil Spencer outlined) it's something that would gradually creep up on Nintendo over time.

Get a couple of people on the board to influence from within and before you know it they are welcoming the idea of Microsoft either purchasing them or entering into some kind of binding partnership which strips them of autonomy.

Gojiira

Don't shoot the messenger dude. The "I" here is referring to Phil Spencer.
Sorry 😅 But yeah those are my sentiments towards anybody supporting Spencers goal.
He truly is ruining gaming. I seriously hope he gets a wake up call, all these leaked documents and his continued pursuit of monopoly really should reignite the FTC’s/CMA/EU etc interest in blocking any further purchases by Xbox.

GHG

It's not just locker room talk. They're explicitly saying that they hope ValueAct/Mason Morfit will pressure Nintendo to use up their capital through market expansion, which will create an opportunity for Microsoft to acquire Nintendo when the latter has less cash on hand. It's much more nefarious than just wanting to acquire Nintendo. They want to forcibly create a situation where Nintendo fails through unsustainable growth and buy them up.

This is missed in a lot of the reports where they just focus on Phil hoping to acquire Nintendo. I think Microsoft having an actual plan to force Nintendo to fail is quite alarming and anti-competitive. It's leaning towards corporate sabotaging.

Pelta88 Pelta88 read the post above buddy. xiskza xiskza has a good grasp on this.

They want to force an unsustainable strategy pivot from within Nintendo which would later open up opportunities for them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom