• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Irobot82

Fingers crossed for that Lovecraftian horror crpg that's been a long time coming.

At the PAX panel they said making PoE has changed the way they thought about what kinds of games can be made. So I'm excited for the future and I'm looking forward to a PoE2 kickstarter.

Edit:

Also about the expansion, meeting Zahua was a fucking masterpiece.

Labadal

"I don't think it was worthwhile developing for Linux," Brandon Adler, lead producer said in response to questions the team had gathered from Twitter before the show. "They are a very, very small portion of our active user base—I think around one and a half percent of our users were Linux."
I think it was something like 0,5% for some other KS game. Can't remember which one.

Purkake4

Banned
At the PAX panel they said making PoE has changed the way they thought about what kinds of games can be made. So I'm excited for the future and I'm looking forward to a PoE2 kickstarter.

Edit:

Not having seen the panel, "PoE has changed the way they thought about what kinds of games can be made" kind of sounds like they'd want to try something new.

Tenebrous

Fingers crossed for that Lovecraftian horror crpg that's been a long time coming.

Edit:

The future is so damn exciting!

Irobot82

Not having seen the panel, "PoE has changed the way they thought about what kinds of games can be made" kind of sounds like they'd want to try something new.

Yes but they were also talking about how they wanted things like Multi-Class etc (in the sequel) but yes they also say they're not afraid to try new games now.

Are there any known issues with performance? I have an i5-3570k @4.2ghz and a GTX 970, yet the framerate is 45-50 while in town with pretty much nothing going on. I tried running as admin, raising the priority in task manager, setting maximum performance in the nvidia power options, turning down the in game graphics (AA) option, changing the resolution, and nothing changes. Win10 issue?

The CPU and GPU usage is low.

Unai

Are there any known issues with performance? I have an i5-3570k @4.2ghz and a GTX 970, yet the framerate is 45-50 while in town with pretty much nothing going on. I tried running as admin, raising the priority in task manager, setting maximum performance in the nvidia power options, turning down the in game graphics (AA) option, changing the resolution, and nothing changes. Win10 issue?

The CPU and GPU usage is low.

Weird. I can downsample it with an i7 2700k (stock) and a GTX 970 and get more than 60 FPS all the time. Windows 10 too.

Patch 2.01 incoming http://forums.obsidian.net/blog/7/entry-187-update-notes-201/

From Adam Brennecke:

This patch fixes many minor issues that came up before and after launch of The White March - Part I. We have also done optimizations to save/loads and area transitions performance. Please provide feedback if you notice a difference.
As always, there are many more fixes than listed.

Major Fixes
Party members will now default to AI: On and Instruction Set: None.
Many optimizations to save/load and area transitions performance.
Blurry text in UI has been fixed.

Abilities
Dragon Leap should now break engagement properly.
Coordinated Positioning range increased from 2m to 2.5m.
Fixed stacking issue with Weapon Specialization and Weapon Mastery and both can now be applied to the same attack.
Based on player's feedback we made tweaks to improve AI packages for Monks, Druids, and Ciphers.
Many small fixes to spell and ability tooltips and descriptions.

Items
Stormcaller's 1st requirement lowered to 250 shock damage. 2nd requirement lowered to 5 druids defeated.
Greenstone Staff 1st requirement lowered to 125 damage vs. beetles. 2nd requirement lowered to 5 blights defeated.
St. Ydwen's 1st requirement lowered to 200 damage vs. spirits. 2nd requirement lowered to 10 vessels defeated.
Item mod Draining will be restored properly after a save/load.
Added the White Forge crafting icon.

Quests
A Lovely Drop quest is not failed if Haeferic dies after the party obtains the antidote ingredients.
Haeferic now reacts properly after imprisoning Ailef.
Lurgold is properly removed from the Fishery after the fight with Grynde during the day.
The dexterity check in the conversation with Sweynur will only show up if the player has a blade.

Miscellaneous Notes
Added missing ambient audio to Durgan's Battery dungeon.
Updated many creatures' bestiary entries with correct abilities.
Ogre Battery Cannoneers now use Rogue abilities instead of Ranger abilities.
Added Concelhaut's Draining Missiles to Ironclapsed Grimoire.
Druid-Wolf Suldrun now scales for high level content mode.
Fixed issue with Fog of War behaving incorrectly in some scenes (Aufra's house) if a player used an older save game.
Several improvements and tweaks to area background art, including Cragholdt.
Solo Achievement is disabled correctly if Zahua or The Devil of Caroc is added to the party.
Fixed Kana's conversation when he is in the White March areas.

Purkake4

Banned
Hold the phone... Obsidian have said they want to make a Lovecraftian horror crpg? Really? Don't play with my heart! Or do you mean that it's about time that someone did?
They haven't said anything, but I keep throwing the idea out there. The setting is in the public domain and you can probably throw a few bucks at Chaosium to use their tabletop RPG mechanics. The rest is sweet sweet 20s-30s globetrotting campaign full of horror and mystery with the only conclusion being that you should haven never left in the first place.

Noaloha

Gonna restart a playthrough soon. Anyone have thoughts on the various AI routines you'd like to share? Aids, frustrations, etc.?

Irobot82

OMG I didn't realize you could bind weapon swapping to a key. Combine that with the fact that non Monk classes don't move to unarmed in the weapon cycle and I'm a happy boy again!

My main is Rogue and I use the jolting touch dagger and rottting whatever dagger. Once those two proc I switch to two weapon that do plus crit damage and extra damage to prone, stunned, etc. I'm a wrecking machine.

Tenebrous

Ran out of motivation to continue my POTD run after
clearing out the sewers in
Act II. It just... I don't know. I guess I just prefer the countryside to the big cities in my RPGs.

Tworak

Many optimizations to save/load and area transitions performance.
naga-song3.gif

I've put it on hold since saving took such a long time. ~20% faster will be good.

Altazor

heh, it's so sloooow on my machine. I can't complain, though. It's a 2010 PC, no SSD. It's bound to be slow.

The first loading screen (from the main menu to the game itself) takes forever, at least the other ones inside the game are a bit shorter :p

Tworak

heh, it's so sloooow on my machine. I can't complain, though. It's a 2010 PC, no SSD. It's bound to be slow.

The first loading screen (from the main menu to the game itself) takes forever, at least the other ones inside the game are a bit shorter :p
I've got an SSD and also a rather swift computer, yet I still feel it takes too long to quick save and change areas. of course, the only reason I've put it on hold is because I know there will be a patch attempting to fix the issue.

man, pillars of eternity is great.

Tenebrous

Iconic Projection is just flatout broken. If I dropped Kana from my party and paired Durance with a PC priest, everything would die within 5 seconds on PotD.

Can anyone explain these stats for me? I'm not understanding why the accuracy is the way it is. Could be an item name spoiler in the picture.

This is the weapon I've been using a while. It's exceptional quality, and my accuracy is 72 with it equiped. I took the adventurer ability for +6 accuracy with the Estoc.

IeOlNL0.jpg

I've really been looking forward to this superb quest item, but accuracy is 58? Any idea what is going on? Bug?
bmRbVAe.jpg

I also notice Drake's Bell has the same issue. Same accuracy as if I was using a weapon I didn't have proficiency in.

Tenebrous

Makes little sense to me... Go to your character page, and scroll down to the active effects to see if anything is being cancelled out. That's all I can think of.

I wonder if the IE mod screwed up my saves? I was only using it to have faster scouting speed, but uninstalling it now, weapon type doesn't seem to make any difference on accuracy. Man, just started act 3 on my first playthrough and I think this save is messed up. :/

*I checked out the support forums and it looks like 2.01 does have some UI bugs going on. They say accuracy doesn't show up correctly in the UI, but it works as it is supposed to in combat, and then displays the accurate number. I'll have to test it a little.*

*Also think resting bonuses are bugged. They are supposed to last through 3 rests, but they disappear after the first time I camp.*

I finally started the game and I'm 8 hours in. Loving it so far.

All my team is like level 3 now and I made it to Raedric. I have no chance against these guys, hopefully I can quit the fortress and come back later D:

Tenebrous

I finally started the game and I'm 8 hours in. Loving it so far.

All my team is like level 3 now and I made it to Raedric. I have no chance against these guys, hopefully I can quit the fortress and come back later D:

You can come back later, but you should also be able to beat the fight now.

What difficulty, how many people in your party, and what classes are they? Non-story related tip for the fight:
Try and use a hunter pet to engage and then fight them through a bottleneck. The two doors that lead into the throne room are perfect, and wiill allow you to fight just 2 or so at a time.

The Old Queen and the New King quest question.

I took the fighter dialog option and it sounded like Oernos will now go into the lions lair for battle, but then he just attacks my party. Heh...is that supposed to happen? I expected an epic lion vs bear battle. I even tried putting on some speed boots and dragging the bear to the lions den. The lion NPCs kill the smaller bears, but won't attack Oernos. :/

Beat the end boss of The Master Below. Man. Must have taken 7 or 8 tries to beat him.
Breath attack right at the start kills, or nearly kills everyone, then the fight is lost. I tried some different positioning, got him to "badly" hurt status, but then the adds charmed my party and it was over. Finally just sent in my tank to eat the breath attack, run to the other side of the map to draw adds away before dying, then went ham on him with my remaining 5 characters. I didn't think I'd win when he got to nearly dead status, as only my main guy (2h fighter) and a cleric were standing, but he dropped before we did. The sweet reward of 16k experience when you're already at the cap.

This fight actually highlights some of my critiques of the game, but overall I love PoE. 55 hours in and I'm not finished yet. What a great adventure.

Tenebrous

59 hours is what Steam clocked me at for my first (normal) run.

Second run now, and I'm 46 hours in without having started Act III, although a lot of that is to do with White March, of course.

I was worried I was going to be disappointed with PoE after not being able to get past the 25 hour mark in both Divinity: OS and Wasteland 2, but PoE definitely appealed to my Baldur's Gate love, and was the more complete package IMO. There are a few things I'd like to see improved in a future game of course, but it was still great.

Tenebrous

Same here. Couldn't bond with Divinity at all, but Pillars is the best traditional RPG I've played this decade, and the fact we could be getting a sequel is just amazing.

Irobot82

What how are you guys finishing under 60? I was barely into the third act at 70 before I ADD'ed myself off to the White March. I don't know if I'll every finish this game! I also made it to the last level in Odd Nua but was too scared to fight the boss.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I got rekt last night by a big kobold pack in the first level of Endless Paths and I don't remember them being that difficult. I blame everything but my own ability.

Also I somehow bugged and got one of the bonus watcher abilities on my main char twice. I never remember to use them anyway so it doesn't really matter I suppose.

Top Bottom