• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Is Pallegina missable? I remember seeing her many hours ago while doing that warehouse sidequest but she didn't join my party.

Edit: Went back to the city and found her.

Altazor

Any tips against fampyrs? I've been definitely having trouble with them (like in Endless Paths Level 8, though I managed to clear the floor anyway) but especially during the
Champion of Berath aka Fampyr Raedric with Fampyr Bodyguards and FAMPYRS FAMPYRS FAMPYRS
quest.

Any tips against fampyrs? I've been definitely having trouble with them (like in Endless Paths Level 8, though I managed to clear the floor anyway) but especially during the
Champion of Berath aka Fampyr Raedric with Fampyr Bodyguards and FAMPYRS FAMPYRS FAMPYRS
quest.

Have one person start the dialog, back them up forcing to chase, and pin them down with slicken. Use knockdown or any skill like that to keep them off their feet. I never had luck with charm resist spells, but they can't do much with their backs on the ground.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So when exactly are you able to head to White March content on a new game? I just entered Defiance bay (starting act 2) on my level 5 party.

Altazor

Have one person start the dialog, back them up forcing to chase, and pin them down with slicken. Use knockdown or any skill like that to keep them off their feet. I never had luck with charm resist spells, but they can't do much with their backs on the ground.

yeah, I've been doing that. Doesn't quite work - somehow they're still able to spot the rest of my party and charm Aloth and/or Hiravias and/or Durance, and I'm fucked. Oh well, I'll have to GIT GUD.

So when exactly are you able to head to White March content on a new game? I just entered Defiance bay (starting act 2) on my level 5 party.

after gaining control of Caed Nua, no?

Is there any way to mod the game so that everyone can have a pet? I feel bad only letting one pup join me on the grand journey.

And increase the amount of time gibs stay on screen.

bati

For those of you who stick to using premade companions and not hiring any adventurers - how do you solve the tank problem without rolling a second tank yourself? I've checked Pallegina's stats and she just doesn't cut it plus she has no access to Faith and Conviction talent which is a huge part of Paladin's survivability.

I'm currently playing as a paladin tank myself and I just can't imagine having Eder tank by himself, once he's focused he can go down really fast. So it's not an issue for me at the moment, but it's going to be on subsequent playthroughs, unless I can get over my prejudice over hiring adventurers.

Irobot82

For those of you who stick to using premade companions and not hiring any adventurers - how do you solve the tank problem without rolling a second tank yourself? I've checked Pallegina's stats and she just doesn't cut it plus she has no access to Faith and Conviction talent which is a huge part of Paladin's survivability.

I'm currently playing as a paladin tank myself and I just can't imagine having Eder tank by himself, once he's focused he can go down really fast. So it's not an issue for me at the moment, but it's going to be on subsequent playthroughs, unless I can get over my prejudice over hiring adventurers.

Eder is my only tank. I used to also use Pallegina but she was squishy. I do use the new monk now, but he is also a bit squishy. When my party fails, it always ends with Eder being alive and me waiting about five minutes for him to die off. Sometimes he even ends up surviving and killing the remaining few mobs left. It's very hard to my Eder to die. Sometimes annoyingly hard. Especially with that second breath thing too.

bati

I'm sure he's very durable late in the game, but early on that's not really the case, especially now that defender got nerfed. And as a solo tank you kinda want him to have as much engagement as possible because without it your party will die but your tank might live on, as you pointed out :).

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
after gaining control of Caed Nua, no?

That's what I heard, but I've seen nothing pointing me towards new content or new map areas.

My quest journal has a "The White March" section but there's nothing in it yet.

Tenebrous

Is 2.0 Adra Dragon tuned for level 12 or level 14 parties? Everyone is (almost) level 12 now, and I don't want to just stomp it at a higher level than recommended.

Also, are all the talents that add +10 to X/Y/Z (prone/stun/paralysis etc) useless on Path of the Damned? Both my tanks have 3 points in the 3 talents, and it seems to be making no difference whatsoever. Everyone who gets caught by a Caen Gwla is stunned, without fail, every time.

Never mind.
Did the quest to save/free her as I killed her last time.

Anoregon

BTW guys, I found the answer to my question on the official forums

The opening quest for White March starts as soon as you finish the Temple of Woedica in Act 2.

Shepard

Damn I'm getting my ass kicked in the White March. My party is lv 9 (PotD) and I opted to scale the difficulty but things are getting ridiculous. My tank *(Éder), dies in less then 5 seconds with great armor + God knows how many buffs. Really frustrating. Guess I'll grind for more levels and try to do the White March stuff last. Good thing this game isn't compatible with a gamepad or else I'd have already thrown it at my monitor by now :(

Irobot82

Damn I'm getting my ass kicked in the White March. My party is lv 9 (PotD) and I opted to scale the difficulty but things are getting ridiculous. My tank *(Éder), dies in less then 5 seconds with great armor + God knows how many buffs. Really frustrating. Guess I'll grind for more levels and try to do the White March stuff last. Good thing this game isn't compatible with a gamepad or else I'd have already thrown it at my monitor by now :(

Scaling option is tricky. I went up there at level 12 and scaled it. It's a rough romp. Are you trying to take out of of the bounties? That was my hardest part so far. That group killed me 5 times before I finally won.

Shepard

Scaling option is tricky. I went up there at level 12 and scaled it. It's a rough romp. Are you trying to take out of of the bounties? That was my hardest part so far. That group killed me 5 times before I finally won.

The hardest enemies are the fish-like guys that come in groups of 6-7 and usually in the same party as a druid with confusion/charm. Things get nasty real quick. I'm in the beg of act 3, doind main story stuff right now. Screw the White March.

Tenebrous

Drop Eder for a PC tank and you'll find it a bit easier. Like Irobot, the hardest part for me (PotD/Scaled) was also the bounties. All the bounties I've done so far have been great.

Shepard

Drop Eder for a PC tank and you'll find it a bit easier. Like Irobot, the hardest part for me (PotD/Scaled) was also the bounties. All the bounties I've done so far have been great.
Hmm, maybe I'll try rerolling his stats a bit to see if I can keep him in the party. I love the caracter :p
Also, my game is definitely bugged: characters are moving way too slow. I loaded a previous save just to make sure and the difference makes it look like slow mode is always on. Anyone also having this?

Shepard

Sorry for the double post but I found the reason for the slow movespeed: the white crest armor that I was using on my tank. It gives -1 move speed but for some reason it seems to apply to the whole party. As soon as I take it off, normal walking speed again. Strange.

JimPanzer

I have two GTX970 and run the game downsampled from 4k via gedosato, but I only get like 30-40 fps. That can't be right? Any way to fix it? Can't I just use DSR via the nvidia config?

Tenebrous

Hmm, maybe I'll try rerolling his stats a bit to see if I can keep him in the party. I love the caracter :p
Also, my game is definitely bugged: characters are moving way too slow. I loaded a previous save just to make sure and the difference makes it look like slow mode is always on. Anyone also having this?

Sorry for the double post but I found the reason for the slow movespeed: the white crest armor that I was using on my tank. It gives -1 move speed but for some reason it seems to apply to the whole party. As soon as I take it off, normal walking speed again. Strange.

Haha, I thought my whole party felt a bit slower with fast mode active... Weird.

Anyway, I know it sucks to drop the real characters for PCs, but it's pretty hard to avoid doing. Saying that, my Devil of Caroc just crit someone for 85 damage, so I'm not feeling too worried about her woefully low might stat just yet.

I have two GTX970 and run the game downsampled from 4k via gedosato, but I only get like 30-40 fps. That can't be right? Any way to fix it?

That's right, unfortunately.

tt10995018fltt.gif

There are several areas in the game where I'll drop to 45-50 fps on a 970 and changing settings or resolution does nothing. I think support said they are aware of it on their forums.

I think that may be intended behaviour out of combat. All the characters moving at the speed of the slowest character so they don't get wildly out of formation.

Shepard

Haha, I thought my whole party felt a bit slower with fast mode active... Weird.

Anyway, I know it sucks to drop the real characters for PCs, but it's pretty hard to avoid doing. Saying that, my Devil of Caroc just crit someone for 85 damage, so I'm not feeling too worried about her woefully low might stat just yet.
lol, I guess you are right. Tried rerolling the character but found out you can only change the talents/skills, not the stats. Bummer.
I think that may be intended behaviour out of combat. All the characters moving at the speed of the slowest character so they don't get wildly out of formation.
Makes sense. It was driving me mad, though. Almost made me restart from a previous save :p

Tenebrous

Is there a dungeon inside the
Adra Pillars in Elmshore?
Hoping to get the explorer achievement from this playthrough, so don't want to miss anything... Can't remember it from my first run, though.

Altazor

Hoping to get the explorer achievement from this playthrough, so don't want to miss anything... Can't remember it from my first run, though.

I'll add my voice to that question. It looks like an entrance to something, but I dunno if it actually is.

Shepard

I think they thought about it but scrapped the idea. There is definitely a staircase there.
White March: Part 2?

Tenebrous

That makes sense.

Anyway, I just hit level 13... Why do some of my characters (Watcher, Eder, Durance) have 50+ might & perception now?

Levyne

Banned
So hows the expansion? I kinda want to try it, but I'm not sure I remember how to play very well, haha.

Part of me thinks I should wait until both parts are out

~Kinggi~

Banned
So hows the expansion? I kinda want to try it, but I'm not sure I remember how to play very well, haha.

I havent played it but i would wait for both parts. It sounds like this first part didnt feel significant enough on its own.

I liked it a lot. You could wait for both parts, but while the first part sets up the second part, it feels pretty complete on its own. You can see that they've gotten better at building areas, and the overall quality of the new stuff is somewhat better than the rest of PoE. The soul-bound weapons are great as well. Unique items in PoE weren't really as interesting, powerful, or, indeed, unique as they should have been, and soul-bound weapons really fill in that gap. They're items you can actually be excited about finding.

To hell with the Alpine Dragon though. Bastard.

bati

I haven't gotten fully through it yet but my initial impression was that it made the game feel even more like a proper BG successor than it already was, it feels like the game is more complete (if that's a thing) now. I'm pretty hyped about the other part, although I kinda wish they wouldn't introduce any new companions with it. I don't like the idea of getting new recruitable npcs halfway or two thirds into the game, since your party is well established at that point. BG and BG2 had the same problem, fwiw.

@people who have finished the game - what are your thoughts on Resolve as the supposed main convo stat? I'm playing a paladin and I'm actually finding myself picking other options because of the forceful nature of Resolve responses which often come with dispositions that I'm not interested in roleplaying (Passionate, Clever, I think there was even an Aggressive and Cruel option). It feels like intelligence and perception are much better stats for the type of personality I want to roleplay and it feels almost liberating knowing that I can now roll a character with optimized dps attributes and still have a good face character with those same stats.

Shepard

Second playthrough is so much better than the first one. You can follow the story since the beginning, instead of having to pick up pieces of cryptic evidences to make some sense out of everything. Enjoying it a lot more.

Anoregon

Man, White March at lvl 6 is rough. These crag ogre fights put out so much damage.

I also have no idea how to make good use of a monk. I want him to be tanky but he gets crushed so easily.

bati

Holy shit Sagani is amazing in this new expansion. Rangers must've gotten buffed through the roof. I gave her the soulbound bow, most of the bow talents, including the +1 penetration and Twinned Arrows (at lvl 13) and she just obliterates everything. She has probably done close to 50% of my party's total damage. And on top of that she gets Itumaak who is pretty much on par with a moderately specced melee dps.

Finalow

ok, I went back after a break to my 30 hours run on PotD difficulty. everything was good until I got to the lighthouse where the usual gang bang of shades, spectres + boss destroyed me. I guess I'll try to finish that quest without fighting on the last floor.

liked some changes with the new patch but party AI seems trash, I tried it on summoner, mage and priest. summoner was summoning shitty skeletons when I have tier 3 summons, mage wasn't doing damage at all (even though I set him on aggressive mode or whatever) and priest I'm not sure he ever healed someone. I'm not used to it anyway so I'll just keep playing as I always did.

btw, is this new expansion worth it? Considering it's just "part 1" should I just wait until it's complete? Also should I finish the main game before playing it (assuming I'm going to) or it doesn't really matter?

ZZMitch

Hey guys I have reached a cross roads in the game and am curious what you recommend. I just finished up with Defiance Bay and have the choice to head over to the Twin Elms area or up towards the White March.

Rather Dashing

Neo Member
btw, is this new expansion worth it? Considering it's just "part 1" should I just wait until it's complete? Also should I finish the main game before playing it (assuming I'm going to) or it doesn't really matter?
It doesn't really matter. It doesn't really feel like a "Part 1". If it wasn't for a vague mention in the ending voiceover, it wouldn't have felt like a "Part 1" at all.

Obviously we don't quite know how Part 1 and 2 content will connect, and feasibly they could add sidequests to the Part 1 areas through Part 2, but as it is right now it felt really self-contained.

The expansion has very low-feeling stakes. You're helping a small fishing village to boost its economy by braving a dungeon to turn on a forge. I enjoyed it, but a lot of people complain that it didn't really feel tied into the main story or like it had an "epic" narrative of its own.

I like the new companions well enough, but one doesn't get a companion quest at all, and the other's companion quest is one of the shorter and more simple ones.

It's more Pillars, basically. A new town and a couple surrounding areas, new sidequests, and a new large dungeon that is pretty satisfying as far as large Pillars dungeons go. For hardcore types there's a new dragon to fight and a level 14 siege quest, but I poked at those and realized I just don't have the stuff for it. Whether that's "worth it" is up to the individual, I can definitely see people answering "no", but it was for me.

Hey guys I have reached a cross roads in the game and am curious what you recommend. I just finished up with Defiance Bay and have the choice to head over to the Twin Elms area or up towards the White March.

I'd head to the White March, at least so that you can pick up the new companions before you hit Twin Elms.

Top Bottom