• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 sales surpass 40m worldwide

Draugoth

Gold Member

PlayStation 5 has now sold 40 million consoles worldwide, Sony has announced.

By comparison, PlayStation 4 -- the fastest-selling PlayStation console to 40 million -- achieved the same feat two months quicker. The PS5 was severely impacted by component shortages, which meant Sony was unable to supply the demand for the system during the first two years on the market. The console is now in full supply.

The milestone follows a strong June for PS5 across Europe, with sales up 116% compared with the same period in 2022. As part of the announcement, PlayStation also revealed that there are now 2,500 PS5 games available on the platform.

SIE_TopPS5Games.jpg
We launched PlayStation 5 in November 2020 and the world was in a strange and different place than when we announced the console in 2019. Despite the unprecedented challenges of COVID, our teams and our partners worked diligently to deliver PS5 on time. We continued to face headwinds with the pandemic, and it took months for supply chains to normalize so we could have the inventory to keep up with demand. For more months than I care to remember, we kept thanking our community for their patience while working through these issues. But now PS5 supply is well-stocked and we are seeing that pent up demand finally being met.

With the support of PlayStation fans, we have reached a milestone of 40 million PS5 consoles sold through to gamers since launch. Thank you so much to our community of gamers – without you this would have been an impossible task

PS5 launched with the best catalog of games in our history and the momentum for great content keeps getting stronger. From innovative indie games to AAA blockbusters, there are more than 2,500 PS5 games now available, and it has never been a better time to experience PS5 In the last two months alone, we have seen incredible new games from our partners, including Final Fantasy XVI, Diablo IV, and Street Fighter 6.

Since the launch of PS5, players have been enjoying a selection of great games that illustrate how games are as vast and creative as any other entertainment medium. To that end, here are 40 games that have been voted for by PlayStation players.
A great addition to the PS5 generation has been our array of accessories. Over the past two and a half years we have unveiled new ways gamers can customize the experience and bring exciting colors into their homes. We developed a range of colors for the DualSense wireless controller and PS5 console covers. These accessories have proven really popular as players want their PS5 to reflect their taste.

We developed PS5 with our community at the forefront of our thinking, which led us to deliver innovations like the adaptive triggers and haptic feedback in the DualSense controller, as well as PlayStation VR2. PlayStation Studios and our third-party partners have jumped in to take advantage of these capabilities and expand their creative toolkit to deliver a generational leap in the experiences they bring to gamers.

Thank you again for your continued support of PlayStation.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Nah this gen PS5 has had quite a bit of great exclusives and 3 party games. Better than PS4's launch.

The other system is doing worse than last gen in every way so it's not the previous gen bogging it down.
Add to this the cross gen games....when once upon a time BC was a major talking point for Series consoles...and yeah....

PS5 launched alot better than the PS4, regardless of the debates about the overall library.

WoJ

I feel like both systems sell based on the reputation of past gen, instead of what respective platforms holders have done this generation.
People are acting like this is some kind of odd statement. But we are still getting cross gen games and just now starting to really get into this gen 3 years in. If you hadn't purchased a PS5 until now there is very little you would have missed by staying on PS4 until now.

zapper

compared to the previous year it seems to me to be slowing down (2.3 million in the same quarter in 2022, 1.6 million today)...? maybe it's the fault of the previous quarter (January-March) in which they satisfied the demand a lot, but with ff16, diablo, sf6 out I expected more

Last edited:

Zheph

compared to the previous year it seems to me to be slowing down (2.3 million in the same quarter in 2022, 1.6 million today)...? maybe it's the fault of the previous quarter (January-March) in which they satisfied the demand a lot, but with ff16, diablo, sf6 out I expected more
Diablo is doing most of its numbers on PC, SF6 is not the big seller people seems to think it is.
Spiderman will do the heavy work

You are mixing shipped vs sold through. The number of sold through PS5s for March - July should be around 4M.

Last edited:

NEbeast

People are acting like this is some kind of odd statement. But we are still getting cross gen games and just now starting to really get into this gen 3 years in. If you hadn't purchased a PS5 until now there is very little you would have missed by staying on PS4 until now.
People are getting the better version of those games? What are you talking about?

MS must seriously be thinking holding games from ABK/Bethesda off PS is bad when they are consistently missing targets and Sony are crushing it. It will be funny to see them do a 180 at some point because people just don't care about gamepass.
Without supply issues the ps5 would be tracking way ahead of the ps4.
Anthony Anderson Abc GIF by HULU

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
What are you talking about? Since Day 1 games were more superior graphically and performance fps wise, did they squeeze everything out of the console on Day 1, no but to say that the PS5 games were just a little bit superior over PS4 is disingenuous.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
People actually say that all the time and have claimed we are just now entering the Ryan / Hulst era in terms of software. Not really a crazy statement.

Top Bottom