• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 sales surpass 40m worldwide

Zheph

That's why its so disheartening to hear a PS5 Pro is already coming out. It's almost like a SLAP to the 40 million of us.
Slap Me Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That's pretty good.
I wonder why it's not possible to do ps2 or wii numbers because this is not it.
I would've thought there are more customers now

Last edited:

Poltz

That's pretty good.
PS2 and Wii hit mainstream casual audiences for the DVD player and the motion controls for weightloss stuff.

Eiknarf

Banned
You do know PS4 Pro came out in a similar time frame right?
I personally didn’t experience that.

My first experience with a Sony was a PS4 Pro. Didn’t even know what the “Pro” really meant- just that it was better and the store didn’t have any regular “base” models or Slims

Last edited:

fallingdove

Pardon my ignorance but what is Xbox doing wrong? Or maybe they aren’t doing anything wrong? Then what is Sony PS5 doing right?
IMO:
- The Xbox brand lacks legacy and global appeal
- Xbox has a piss poor track record of managing game development and consistently delivering high quality games
- Executives, marketing and otherwise, have a habit of talking out both sides of their mouth (See “we won’t raise prices on hardware”, “we want to bring an end to exclusivity”, “we believe in video game preservation and prioritize development of backward compatibility solutions”, “we don’t want to take games away from PlayStation users”, etc.)
- Lack of Japanese 3rd party support
- GamePass isn’t nearly as good as green rats would lead the world to believe — day one releases haven’t offset weak month to month releases
- The platform has been overreliant on niche or fading franchises

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
That's pretty good.
Dont worry, like some ppl say about other products, its a marathon.

The PS4 wound up selling more than the Wii.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

My first experience with a Sony was a PS4 Pro. Didn’t even know what the “Pro” really meant- just that it was better and the store didn’t have any regular “base” models or Slims
Then why didn't you wait for the PS5 Pro?

I stuck with the base launch PS4 the entirety of last gen, never purchased the Pro. Options don't make me feel less about what I had.

That's pretty good.
Well, MS said in their court fillings that they expect this console gen to last till 2028, which is a year more than last gen lasted. Analysts are saying that by the end of Sony's current fiscal year - which ends on March 31 2024 - the PS5 should easily beat PS4 sales when launched aligned. If I had to hazard a guess here, the lifetime sales of the PS5 should be 10 - 20% higher than those of PS4 (117.2 million), getting into the mythical PS2 territory.

Poltz

Should have waited for PS5 Pro.

Pardon my ignorance but what is Xbox doing wrong? Or maybe they aren’t doing anything wrong? Then what is Sony PS5 doing right?
Ms lost the worst gen to lose with xbone. Everyone has a digital stockpile on playstation and not gonna switch at a drop of a halo.

Eiknarf

Banned

I stuck with the base launch PS4 the entirety of last gen, never purchased the Pro. Options don't make me feel less about what I had.
I really didn’t think every generation from now until the end of time would have a Pro. I was just happy to grab a PS5.

As long as it’s not struggling to play 2025 games after the Pro comes out, I’ll be happy

By “struggling” I mean, in two years I don’t want PS5 games to come out and not run well on the base PS5 model only to learn they run fine on the PS5 Pro. That will upset me - hence the word disheartening I used earlier

Fredrik

Not getting the PS4 Pro resulted in me skipping some games since I didn’t want a subpar experience on the games that got me to buy the console. Did the waiting game and played some of them on PS5 instead.

This time it’s a little bit different since there is the PC too for 1st party releases, but waiting for late releases sucks and bad ports is annoying.
I’m thinking I’ll get a PS5 Pro to get some peace of mind and avoid the boring waiting game.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I really didn’t think every generation from now until the end of time would have a Pro. I was just happy to grab a PS5.

As long as it’s not struggling to play 2025 games after the Pro comes out, I’ll be happy

By “struggling” I mean, in two years I don’t want PS5 games to come out and not run well on the base PS5 model only to learn they run fine on the PS5 Pro. That will upset me - hence the word disheartening I used earlier
Not getting the PS4 Pro resulted in me skipping some games since I didn’t want a subpar experience on the games that got me to buy the console. Did the waiting game and played some of them on PS5 instead.

This time it’s a little bit different since there is the PC too for 1st party releases, but waiting for late releases sucks and bad ports is annoying.
I’m thinking I’ll get a PS5 Pro to get some peace of mind and avoid the boring waiting game.
I don't see how any of this is "a slap to the face." These are "you" problems.

EruditeHobo

People are getting the better version of those games? What are you talking about?

Right.

The total package of being in PS ecosystem isn't complete, just playing on PS4 right now... and PS5 offers way more, collectively, than PS4 did at the same time.

People always forget how long it takes to really "launch" a console.

Compared to whom ?

Exactly. This is always the point that matters most.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

I am thankful for my PS5.
praise-jesus.gif
The quality of life change going from PS4 to PS5 alone is enormous. That alone even before you get into the specifics of the titles is enough to warrant moving on. I've felt like I have kept my sanity thanks to transitioning over and certainly get more gaming done faster and efficiently.

gimmmick

I feel like both systems sell based on the reputation of past gen, instead of what respective platforms holders have done this generation.

Care to explain why Xbox one didn’t take off with how much ground the 360 had made during that generation of gaming ?

laynelane

IMO:
- Xbox has a piss poor track record of managing game development and consistently delivering high quality games
- Executives, marketing and otherwise, have a habit of talking out both sides of their mouth (See “we won’t raise prices on hardware”, “we want to bring an end to exclusivity”, “we believe in video game preservation and prioritize the development backward comparability solutions”, “we don’t want to take games away from PlayStation users”, etc.)
- GamePass isn’t nearly as good as green rats would lead the world to believe — day one releases haven’t offset weak month to month releases
- The platform has been over-reliant on niche or fading franchises

Your point about global appeal is an important one, I think. There just hasn't been enough effort (or any in some cases) extended to make XBox appealing on a world wide scale.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

IMO:
- Executives, marketing and otherwise, have a habit of talking out both sides of their mouth (See “we won’t raise prices on hardware”, “we want to bring an end to exclusivity”, “we believe in video game preservation and prioritize the development backward comparability solutions”, “we don’t want to take games away from PlayStation users”, etc.)
- The platform has been over-reliant on niche or fading franchises

Exactly, GP is a huge bait and switch. I didn't renew for this reason. Day one exclusives don't exist. Unless you count indies and smaller games. But from MS itself its a bunch of nothing (Redfall was the most recent one, and the only one this year so far afaik). The real big games you need to buy anyway, like RE4, Hogwarts, SF6, FFXVI, Diablo... you get the picture. Also, you can play Xbox games anywhere. You don't even need an Xbox for them.

Xbox hasn't really gained an identity in 20 years. They killed off PGR, they let go Team Ninja, Bungie. They basically only kept Forza and Gears, and then another Forza franchise. Sony seems to stick with franchises more, they even didn't kill off TLG. They kept Sucker Punch on board (or rather they signed them) despite Infamous not even selling gangbusters on PS3. And it paid off with Ghost of Tsushima. Same with Santa Monica, God of War was at a dead end with Ascension, and then they let the team do a 180 and Dad of War sold more than all previous GoW games combined. For some reason I doubt we'll see such shake ups with Gears of War etc.

Japan wasn't a huge factor on 360 gen. But now I would say yes, again, look at the big games released this year; SF6, FFXVI, RE4.. Last years Elden Ring to name a few. Japan is more relevant than ever today. And MS does have a disadvantage here. Generally, Xbox seems to be less appealing than Sony and Nintendo. It doesn't have as much variety and doesn't cater to all markets and cultures as much.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I don't see how any of this is "a slap to the face." These are "you" problems.
Oh true, definitely a me problem here. Just commented on the strategy to skip PS5 Pro or skip PS5 and wait for the Pro. For me it doesn’t really work. I think it’s nice to know I’m playing games without obvious sacrifices. Like playing FF16 on PS5 when PS5 Pro or a PC version is out would be annoying for me. And playing Starfield on Xbox Series X when it’s on PC too is not happening. Then I’ll rather just get a Pro and/or play on PC.

Care to explain why Xbox one didn’t take off with how much ground the 360 had made during that generation of gaming ?
I'd like to chime in here to say that by the end of the 360-generation, Xbox had lost a metric-ton of goodwill from the hardcore crowd. They had already pulled back on their AAA games, opting instead to focus on Kinect and casual stuff.

Anecdotally, many many people already switched over to PS3 before the end of the generation for TLoU and (even moreso) for GTA5.

Eiknarf

Banned
Stop it lol . ( is that the new thing to repeat?)

PS5 came out in 2020 & PS5 Pro is coming out in 2024

Xbox jumped to a whole new generation in 4 years with the Xbox 360 .
Nice presumptuous reply

The PS5 might have launched in 2020, but it did NOT come out for everyone in 2020. If it did, I would have had it. Nobody I knew could get one. So knock it off.

For everybody I know, the PS5 came out about eight months ago. When we all started getting one. And now there’s already talk of a Pro when the current base model feels new for millions of us

Last edited:

Poltz

Nice presumptuous reply

The PS5 might have launched in 2020, but it did NOT come out for everyone in 2020. If it did, I would have had it. Nobody I knew could get one. So knock it off.

For everybody I know, the PS5 came out about eight months ago. When we all started getting one. And now there’s already talk of a Pro when the current base model feels new for millions of us
Same as the PS4 then.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I feel like both systems sell based on the reputation of past gen, instead of what respective platforms holders have done this generation.
If that's the case then Xbox Series should have sold around 1 million units. Thank you!

onQ123

Nice presumptuous reply

Well maybe it will take 3 years for everyone to get PS5 Pros? Problem solved

MacReady13

It really does help when they have such pathetic competition in Xbox who are only interested in pushing a sub service over a console. Congrats to Sony for continuing to push for consoles sales even though many doomsday clowns continuously push the consoles are finished narrative. Only companies who can't sell consoles push that shit, but not Sony or Nintendo!

Top Bottom