• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 System Update 21.02-04.50.00 Release Notes

Gamerguy84

I find it fascinating that PS5 players went this long and aren't complaining about stutters and noticing frame rate drops. Especially outside of GAF.

Just complaints about wanting the feature just to get even with Xbox.
Sure. It typically starts with a feature xbox has that PS doesn't. Someone will make a thread and talk it up and it becomes the next thing. There is still a thread "could PS5 suspend games if they wanted" with some users claiming that's the reason they went with xbox.

When the pro consoles came out there was a huge push for the best feature being a quiet console along with BC. Whatever an Xbox console has that PS doesn't.

It's been VRR for a while now but honestly PS games seem to perform a bit better than xbox counterparts. I honestly don't even care when they push out VRR because I don't have any games that perform bad.

Last edited:

Loxus

Don't be silly - It makes a difference...

As with Sony's TV lineup - people are justifiably getting irritated on lack of appropriate and reasonable support for features actively advertised and noted on their hardware.

Advertising a feature and then not delivering it never sits well...

This is one of the primary reasons I elected to go with an LG C1 this year versus a Sony A80J or A90J. All Sony had to do was to deliver the promised firmware update prior to me purchasing a TV (about 6 weeks ago)...

They still haven't delivered it - and the one VRR firmware update they have delivered (X900h) nerfs other features of the TV to enable it..
I never said it didn't make a difference, just I find it odd no one is complaining about stutters and noticing frame drops.

Maybe if they did, Sony would feel the pressure and released it mouths ago.

Cherrypepsi

PS games seem to perform a bit better than xbox counterparts. I honestly don't even care when they push out VRR because I don't have any games that perform bad.

that's not true.

the games perform pretty much the same on both platforms and VRR helps to elimate judder from fps drops, it's not a gamechanger but it's certainly nice to have.

I don't like sony's strategy here and I'm beginning to doubt that they will ever release this feature, because there is no communication.

HoofHearted

I never said it didn't make a difference, just I find it odd no one is complaining about stutters and noticing frame drops.

Maybe if they did, Sony would feel the pressure and released it mouths ago.
Interesting - I've seen quite a number of complaints from others here on both fronts (TVs and PS5)...

And I certainly notice stutters/frame drops when playing on my PS5 at times.. but to your point - *I'm* not particularly vocal about it ...

I don't think it's about XSX has VRR so Sony should too however...

StormCell

Don't be silly - It makes a difference...

As with Sony's TV lineup - people are justifiably getting irritated on lack of appropriate and reasonable support for features actively advertised and noted on their hardware.

Advertising a feature and then not delivering it never sits well...

This is one of the primary reasons I elected to go with an LG C1 this year versus a Sony A80J or A90J. All Sony had to do was to deliver the promised firmware update prior to me purchasing a TV (about 6 weeks ago)...

They still haven't delivered it - and the one VRR firmware update they have delivered (X900h) nerfs other features of the TV to enable it..
I don't buy Sony TVs anymore because of all the dumb ads they shove into the thing. I haven't seen any ads in the UI with LG. I'll be going LG from now on unless they give me reason not to.

Second that. But it's even worse.
V-SYNC is also adding noticable input lag. Lower the frame-rate = more input lag.
I felt noticable improvement in controller response when using VRR.
Here's the thing. Vsync doesn't add input lag at lower frame rates, it's actually the opposite. By capping your game to 60Hz with vsync, you're actually getting the most input lag, but dropping down to 59fps, you'll get stuttering, but a much quicker response.

I know this because I used to play Rocket League vsynced on PC at 59fps because I didn't get any tearing (thanks to vsync), but I also got lower input lag thanks to the frame rate being under the max refresh rate. Win, win. I did however have to put up with uneven frame times do to the mismatch frame rate.

Loxus

Interesting - I've seen quite a number of complaints from others here on both fronts (TVs and PS5)...

And I certainly notice stutters/frame drops when playing on my PS5 at times.. but to your point - *I'm* not particularly vocal about it ...

I don't think it's about XSX has VRR so Sony should too however...
See the bolded?
It's only in GAF I ever hear about VRR every day.

Bugs and glitches is what everyone is talking about outside of GAF.

I bet if VRR was turned off on Xbox, they would still be saying, "thanks to VRR I don't notice the frame drops" without knowing it wasn't enable.

In all honesty, I can't wait till it comes to PS5 so we can forget about VRR, just like how we forgot about how the Cloud would make Xbox One games better.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

See the bolded?
It's only in GAF I ever hear about VRR every day.

Bugs and glitches is what everyone is talking about outside of GAF.

I bet if VRR was turned off on Xbox, they would still be saying, "thanks to VRR I don't notice the frame drops" without knowing it wasn't enable.

In all honesty, I can't wait till it comes to PS5 so we can forget about VRR, just like how we forgot about how the Cloud would make Xbox One games better.
You obviously don't read the same reddit threads that I do (and no - they're not focused on/around XBox...)... :)

thatJohann

Maybe the PS5 just isn’t capable of doing VRR or Auto Low Latency Mode…. that’s the most plausible explanation of why it’s been over a year and they haven’t been able to release these features.

Happy Jonah Hill GIF

Still no VRR

Disapprove The Tonight Show GIF
No, the xbox crowd tells us that VRR raises performance!

AGRacing

I find it fascinating that PS5 players went this long and aren't complaining about stutters and noticing frame rate drops. Especially outside of GAF.

Just complaints about wanting the feature just to get even with Xbox.

I haven't made a complaint either way - but let me go ahead and do so now.

I own a TV that supported VRR at the launch of PS5. My Series X supports it. My PC even supports it. As a matter of fact - the only thing plugged into my TV that DOESN'T support it is... you guessed it - my PS5.

And again, they promised to do so - 372 DAYS ago. I play several games that support 120 hz mode that are often not actually hitting 120 hz - so the feature would be a benefit to me and I'd use it if it was available.

So what's the problem? Did they overlook something at the time they brought it up? Are they incompetent ? Are they punishing me for not buying a Sony television (another Sony product that can't get its firmware right) ? In any case - I'm not impressed. These are the same clowns that wrote "8K" on their box for some reason. They really seem to enjoy getting WAY ahead of themselves.

It should be there and it isn't - there's no defense of the situation. If they don't have the staff on the firmware team then get the damn staff.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Never had that happen. You use rest mode?
Always. Turn on the ps5 and the screen is black. TV says no hdmi input.

Hold down the power button to reset the ps5 and it says that I didn't properly power off the console and it needs to re check the external drive or some shit

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Never had that I’ve had the background wallpaper load with the music playing but no icons though several times.

twilo99

1 Year later, no VRR. What a time to be alive.

It makes ZERO sense. RDNA2 supports VRR "out of the box" , they can't possible be holding it back on purpose because they don't make TVs or monitors that support it.. that would be ridiculous.

AGRacing

I'm one of the people that have VRR and I am looking forward to the VRR update that is supposedly coming this month.

There is nothing wrong with people wanting a function that Sony stated will be in their console.

I did my part, I looked at the specs Sony put out and made sure I bought a TV that checked all that was on that list. Now Sony needs to do their part.

Agreed. It's amazing how people get so offended by a reasonable expectation.

What's really funny is that some of the people that did that same legwork you and I did bought Sony TVs!!! So they've got a 3000 dollar "VRR capable TV", a 500 dollar "VRR capable PS5" - and absolutely NO VRR!!!

Why do they think people buy their high end stuff? For the high end features. If Sony doesn't want to deliver that then they should just sell 500 dollar TVs at Walmart and be done with it.

Last edited:

Loxus

I haven't made a complaint either way - but let me go ahead and do so now.

I own a TV that supported VRR at the launch of PS5. My Series X supports it. My PC even supports it. As a matter of fact - the only thing plugged into my TV that DOESN'T support it is... you guessed it - my PS5.

And again, they promised to do so - 372 DAYS ago. I play several games that support 120 hz mode that are often not actually hitting 120 hz - so the feature would be a benefit to me and I'd use it if it was available.

So what's the problem? Did they overlook something at the time they brought it up? Are they incompetent ? Are they punishing me for not buying a Sony television (another Sony product that can't get its firmware right) ? In any case - I'm not impressed. These are the same clowns that wrote "8K" on their box for some reason. They really seem to enjoy getting WAY ahead of themselves.

It should be there and it isn't - there's no defense of the situation. If they don't have the staff on the firmware team then get the damn staff.
Don't be make your point here.
I highly doubt Sony visits this site.

Honestly, I don't notice much of anything that VRR would make a difference.
Maybe I'm getting old and losing my x-ray vision.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.

Maybe I'm getting old and losing my x-ray vision.
You’re this generations version of I can’t tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps

Last edited:

Loxus

You’re this generations version of I can’t tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps
I can tell the difference between 30 and 60 but not 55 and 60.

I can also see that PS5 also have a higher image quality in games than XBSX.

Which brings up another point of how some say they can see frame drops and VRR makes a difference but can't see the detail difference between PS5 and XBSX.

But I await VRR to become a forgotten feature just because it's also available on PS5.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

Maybe I'm getting old and losing my x-ray vision
Usually depends on the games you play. Do you play PC games with high refresh rates (and have used VRR)? I didn't notice it much either until I upgraded my PC with higher end GPU/monitor(s) a few years ago.

Now I can (typically) see impact of not using VRR on many games.. though at times - it's subtle.. really depends on how well the game is optimized for the hardware/console.

Loxus

Well I go for the most stable frame rate and cap it at 60 fps while trying to get the highest resolution along with it.

Modding Skyrim was the best time I had in PC gaming. All the other games where basically good without mods, but there was something special about modding Skyrim.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This thread is very annoying.
where are the fps drops? Death stranding dropping to 55 fps two times per hour or during small part of a cutscene? Or guardians…. Lol in 60fps mode. That game deserves 4k mode anyway and it plays great in 30 fps. Yea… I checked on pc and it’s good 30 fps game.
Of course vrr helps but it would do so little on ps5. It would introduce a bit of gamma changing and flicker on oleds though.
I am playing guardians on c1. Constant 70+fps and vrr does magic with that. This is a good use for it. That said I can see tiny flickering and a bit washed out gamma
(Btw get this amazing game)

Sinthor

Gold Member
Nah it happens because of the coil vibrations, but you can actually change settings to combat it.

I have done this with some of my graphic cards for years. For GPUs that were really bad I added glue to the coils to stop the vibrations, but changing vcore/fps limiter/mhz can also help a lot.

There are ways that Playstation could actually do that, though I am not sure what exactly causes this in the menus. In games I have zero coil whine. So it looks like it is caused by idle settings that are set too high or something.
Coil whine is simple to fix. Put a circle of salt around the PS5 and sacrifice a chicken. That keeps the whiny demons from being able to get inside the case. You're welcome!
the rock maui GIF

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Here's the thing. Vsync doesn't add input lag at lower frame rates, it's actually the opposite. By capping your game to 60Hz with vsync, you're actually getting the most input lag, but dropping down to 59fps, you'll get stuttering, but a much quicker response.

I know this because I used to play Rocket League vsynced on PC at 59fps because I didn't get any tearing (thanks to vsync), but I also got lower input lag thanks to the frame rate being under the max refresh rate. Win, win. I did however have to put up with uneven frame times do to the mismatch frame rate.
Can you provide more information or link to the article with information regarding your situation?
Because V-SYNC works by motior waiting for full frame to be rendered and at least one frame in buffer, thus adding latency. That's the whole point.
Maybe your game runs at Borderlees Fulscreen or windowed mode? Because those are tripple-buffer v-sync'ed in Windows.

Better use RivaTuner and it's scanline-sync feature. It's 100% lag-free but you need more "free" GPU time for tearing to not appear. I used it all the time when on old monitors ESPECIALLY in 30fps games. Rivatuner have scanline sync/2 mode which is half of the refresh rate.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I think it's only critical for some unstable 120fps games.
Yeah because 30 frame and 60 frames games are always rock solid on console...

Dude you probably never played a game on console with locked framerate in the last 20 years...no matter what df tells you after trying the first 10 hours of a game without trying to cause hell on screen like we all do when we play open world games...

Returnal was a shitshow with frequent slowdowns and vrr doesn't work only with 120 frames...

The vrr inside my tv (one of the most common tv for gaming) works even when you are in a 20-40 frames range.

So yeah, the equivalent of g-sync on console is never gonna come out soon enough, or more correctly, the ps5 update is not gonna come soon enough.

Jimbo need to move his ass asap.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Far cry 6 fault. It’s not worth playing anyway
Broken games is exactly why we need vrr, and fc brand sells milions of copies for every iteration, it's not like an indie that get played by 10 guys...

But yeah fc6 was meh :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

omegasc

I believe the devs already have a VRR beta FW... there has been some 'hints' in latest releases, imo.
There's 0 advantage to downplaying the feature. The sooner it is adopted by gamers, the better. That almost locked 60 game could have an unlocked mode that does 50+ with slightly better graphics, for example. Death Stranding is the perfect example, and one of the possible "hints".

Last edited:

GriffinCorp

Still no VRR in sight...SMH They make TV's and consoles and they're still behind everyone else. I miss the old Sony, back in the day the only "good tv" was a Sony. I wanted everything to be a Sony. I don't know if they'll be able to get back on top in some of those other areas, I still miss the Vaio line.

Can you provide more information or link to the article with information regarding your situation?
Because V-SYNC works by motior waiting for full frame to be rendered and at least one frame in buffer, thus adding latency. That's the whole point.
Maybe your game runs at Borderlees Fulscreen or windowed mode? Because those are tripple-buffer v-sync'ed in Windows.

Better use RivaTuner and it's scanline-sync feature. It's 100% lag-free but you need more "free" GPU time for tearing to not appear. I used it all the time when on old monitors ESPECIALLY in 30fps games. Rivatuner have scanline sync/2 mode which is half of the refresh rate.
I ran it full screen with vsync on and I used the frame limiter built into Rocket League. 59fps felt the same as having vsync off, except there was no tearing at the expense of having to deal with the stutter of not matching the display refresh rate. Rocket League must be triple-buffered.

Actually, I can't remember the last time a game used double-buffered vsync. It seemed like all of my games could drop below 60fps without tearing while vsync was active and they didn't drop immediately to 30fps like a classic double-buffered game.

Anyways, when I got a FreeSync display, I used to set all of my games to be capped at 141fps to stay within the FreeSync range of 144Hz, therefore my games wouldn't stutter or tear no matter what happened with the frame rate. However, I still kept vsync on and as long as the frame rate didn't hit 144, I wouldn't have any input lag (it's essentially the same as vsync off).

As you can see from this graph:
Xigncub.png

...it doesn't really make a difference having vsync on or off (in regards to input lag), but it does make a difference by capping your frame rate to something lower than the max refresh rate of your display.

I go the graph from this video:

in the 3rd and 4th graph, vsync on vs off difference is within margin of error and wouldn't make a real world difference.

You also lower your input lag by making sure your GPU load isn't being maxed out.

Last edited:

Chronos24

What sucks here is that Sony doesn't have to get in a hurry for anything. Once you've bought their system it doesn't matter anymore. They can update with VRR in 2069 for all they care. Like a politician they got your vote, or in this case, your money, and can do whatever they want because there's nothing more they require from you. Now, the argument here is that they made a promise, like a politician, to do something. In this case add VRR, which they haven't. Now if they wanna keep getting your money/vote they gotta deliver at some point. Thing is, Sony isn't pumping consoles out every so many months or once a year, but once every 6 or 7 years so they have time to deliver on their promise. Much like a politician actually, where elections don't happen but every so many years also. When they do finally make good on promises is typically around the time they need your vote again, or in this case your money. Sony will do the same. VRR will eventually get here and I believe that'll be when the shortage is over because they'll have another marketing point (VRR) and supply to back it up. Nothing better than a "new" feature to hype and increase demand because most people either didn't know or forgot VRR was a feature that was coming. Demand doesn't stay high forever and not having ps5's on shelves for so long people either get something else or lose interest, hence this point.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What sucks here is that Sony doesn't have to get in a hurry for anything. Once you've bought their system it doesn't matter anymore. They can update with VRR in 2069 for all they care. Like a politician they got your vote, or in this case, your money, and can do whatever they want because there's nothing more they require from you. Now, the argument here is that they made a promise, like a politician, to do something. In this case add VRR, which they haven't. Now if they wanna keep getting your money/vote they gotta deliver at some point. Thing is, Sony isn't pumping consoles out every so many months or once a year, but once every 6 or 7 years so they have time to deliver on their promise. Much like a politician actually, where elections don't happen but every so many years also. When do they finally make good on promises, around the time they need your vote again. Sony will do the same. VRR will eventually get here and I believe that'll be when the shortage is over because they'll have another marketing point (VRR) and supply to back it up. Demand doesn't stay high forever and not having ps5's on shelves for so long people either get something else or lose interest.
Drama Reaction GIF

Top Bottom