• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation acquires Haven, the new studio led by Jade Raymond

Zeroing

Banned
Everybody shits on sony for making a ton of similar 3rd person cinematic walk and chat games. I'm glad they are switching it up with some MP games. They're making 10 so at least some of them have to turn out good. Only thing giving me pause is them saying inclusion and diversity is a focus of their game. What does that even mean in the context of a multiplayer service game?
it could mean many things for example inclusion - a game that has more accessibility settings.
diversity - different ways to play, more suited to your playstyle example, support, cover, action...

Louay

BTW what happened to PC version of Haven game ? 1P Studio game Day and date on PC is here..

pPBKHoF.gif

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Lot of misnommers in Jade Raymond's biography when using the word "create": she's a producer, exec and manager, not a gd, cd or ld.

She led mostly great games, but then didn't do wonders at Stadia (which nobody can blame her for), sounds like she'll be a great ceo but that doesn't mean Haven studio games will translate great in terms of production.

She worked with Amy Hennig, one of the other great women in today's video games, so I feel like they'll be more in tune with video games that most other BS corporations or studios, but again how is Sony buying them when they don't have a single thing for show (and test with the public)?

It was a Sony studio from the start.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Just stop. That's not how market cap is calculated first of all. Also, it's M&A, not M&H. You are rationalizing based on your own takes that are contradictory to how Sony have acquired studios in the past.

Also, you're continuing to make my point for me. Insomniac is a proven studio that have shipped multiple great games. Why did they only sell for $229m? Because they don't own any IPs. So what's the conclusion to draw from that? Haven's market value is not going to be in the billions even if they ship a game that's 99 on MC. Why? Because they don't own the IP. So if Sony was able to acquire a top studio like Insomniac for such a low price even after they've shipped multiple critical and commercial hits, why do you think Haven is suddenly going to be worth billions of dollars as a company after shipping just one game? Your own arguments literally contradict the point you're trying to make.

Insomniac owned sunset overdrive pre-purchase by Sony. Same with a couple of their smaller titles not affiliated with Sony.

And this says you are wrong on Market cap and what can impact it:

There are small, mid, large-cap in a portfolio. For Haven if their live service game takes off and goes beyond a certain point from small cap- to mid cap, that in itself can drive their over all market value.

Respawn was sold at 400 Million. Do you think that price reflected market gains that Titan fall had? Titan fall was bundled with consoles, and sold well enough that DLC/Map packs also sold, that they got a sequel. They sold before word was out that TF2 had died player base wise against BF1.

But thats to titles made with very small teams, moddest budget but still gained a good amount of market share when it comes to Multplayer space specifically in 2014-2015.
I don't know the details of how that is measured. But going by research on small, mid, large-cap in terms of overall portfolio. Since they are 400 Million I would assume they are categorized in small-mid?

I googled it: https://www.fidelity.com/learning-c...-analysis/understanding-market-capitalization

Sorry that I got the abbreviation wrong.
But waiting until the game comes out mostly I would assume has to do less with market cap and more of them scared another company would buy them. Right now Senior talent is a big deal. And if they got popular after showing or releasing their game and their game is somewhat successful, they can ask for a higher price.

A lot of people say Sony over paid for Bungie interms of valuation, but in reality they paid more to retain talent.

One thing ive noticed is that a lot of these celebrity developer driven hires appear to flop across the board. Whether it be from Microsoft, Amazon, Google, etc. Wnich is why Jade Raymonds name means nothing to me. Not trying to disrespect her work, but it seems like gamers disrespect how much work goes into making a game and always credit a single person. Even companies keep putting together these dream team of names and they keep flopping. Lets look at the biggest name in gaming now, Miyazaki. If Amazon dropped a billion to poach him from from software does anyone think he could just make a game himself? Well im sure they do and thats a mistake.

Amy gets credit for uncharted and she hasnt been able to do shit since. Why would I be excited about Jade? Sure she had a role in Watchdogs and Assassains Creed but then what? Helped with Battlefront 2? Am I suppose to have confidence in this multiplayer GAAS because of that? Maybe confidence sony plans to monetize it lol.

Like I said, no disrespect to Jade or any creator but people got to stop hyping these guys up. Making a game takes so many people.

There are no guarantees with any studio and making AAA games is risky.

That being said, working with Sony the level of risk is fairly low. There is a large talent pool in Montreal for Haven to look at and they are developers with pedigree already. Haven will be their first entry point into Canada which is a big deal for Sony.

Usually, these studios fail because their parent companies don't have patience, which is one of Sony's virtues in recent history.

Look at Sucker Punch, Bend, and Guerrilla Games.

EA would have closed these studios down by now. Sly Cooper and Infamous were not big enough hits, but Sony's patience gave them Ghost of Tsushima. Guerrilla made one of the most popular franchises in gaming after a lukewarm reception to Killzone. Bend is still looking for their hit.

Tech Companies like Amazon and Google don't have this patience, and for the most part, neither has Microsoft. Microsoft really hasn't cultivated a studio through trials and tribulations. They are either successful out of the gate or not.

ButchCat

Someone explain the fascination with Jade Raymond to me. She hasn’t done anything in like 15 years lol
It's like any profession when you're attractive you get your way. It's like you said the last time I saw her working on something big was the original Assassin's Creed.

Acquisitions are typically close to launches, let's see. Also, Haven was shit.

Last edited:
Someone explain the fascination with Jade Raymond to me. She hasn’t done anything in like 15 years lol
That simply isn't true.

It's key to remember that she isn't a creative director like Kojima or Druckmann.

She's a game executive, her role is to build a team and get the team the resources they need. It's her ability to put together a team, especially with the directed resources that Sony is going to give her compared to what Ubi Soft would give her.

You would judge her based on the talent she brings in more so than any specific game, but she did help put together teams that produced AC and Watch Dogs.

When a game succeeds or fails, it is because of a lot of factors. Sony obviously believes in her.

Spacefish

It's pretty interesting how Jade gets all the credit for Assassins creed while the actual director is completely unknown and has only gotten shit on by the industry since its release. She was a producer, which in the western game industry is a spreadsheet monkey who manages other peoples schedules. She was probably a great producer and now a good business head but I see no reason to get excited from a creative standpoint.

Cut it out with these pansy ass purchases get CDPR or Remedy or From

ROI is way larger on smaller purchases than bigger ones. These studios are also much easier to acquire.

Don't think they'll ever buy Remedy.

FromSoftware is a hard sell, especially after Elden Ring. They don't own much of their own IP and they're going to be expensive especially coming off Elden Ring and being owned by a larger Parent company that you'd almost certainly have to buy in order to get From.

CDPR is an interesting one. They've lost A LOT of their staff in the last few years. Probably half the Witcher 3 team is gone including many key players. They're dirt cheap right now based on their stock price, but their ownership is pretty local with major shareholders being their board members. Who are also the people who probably need to be put out.

I think they will focus on the relationships they have: EmberLabs, Deviation Games, FireWalk. Kojima Productions.

Much cheaper options with big ROI potential.

Probably both. If they stay independent and ship a mega hit Sony Will have to pay 10 times the price or risk the likes of MS jumping in.

They should have bought the makers of dark souls when they had the chance. Even buying a big stake in the likes of epic.
From is a Japanese company and we all know the direction Sony favors and seems to be heading in with their games and studio acquisitions.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
It's pretty interesting how Jade gets all the credit for Assassins creed while the actual director is completely unknown and has only gotten shit on by the industry since its release. She was a producer, which in the western game industry is a spreadsheet monkey who manages other peoples schedules. She was probably a great producer and now a good business head but I see no reason to get excited from a creative standpoint.
She doesn't need to be creative... it is not her role.
She needs to find and conduce people with creative ideias to turn them real.

In a game industry where most big companies are failed due Producer decisions a good Producer is essential for a good game lives.

Imagine what could be FFXV with a good Producer and Director.
Or Cyberpunk... or Battlefield 2042.

Last edited:
They actually have a partnership.
Now they own.

The Story was build as a partnership to work in a Sony IP.
Now Sony brought them.

I can only think Sony is liking the progress of that new IP in the hands of Haven.

Sony liked their other two ideas too. So I think those might be in the pipeline once this matures.

Spacefish

She doesn't need to be creative... it is not her role.
She needs to find and conduce people with creative ideias to turn them real.

In a game industry where most big companies are failed due Producer decisions a good Producer is essential for a good game lives.

Imagine what could be FFXV with a good Producer and Director.
A producers role Is not to hire people or build a team either, its to make spreadsheets about work schedules and manage meetings. Bringing her name up Is the same as getting hype over Bill Trinen making a new studio because he announced a Mario game at E3.

As a side note Producer means something completely different in Japan and is much closer to a director which is where most of the confusion comes from.

C2brixx

Assuming this is a Playstation exclusive game with "maybe" a PC version years down the line. Are there any successful platform exclusive service games?

FukuDaruma

I guess this is unpopular opinion but honestly, what I hate the most is all the buzz around Raymond... because she's a pretty face.

How many other UBI (or ANY other company's) producers got her kind of media cover? I don't think there's even known ones from the other franchises ffs. She is a *producer*, she didn't design shit in Ass Creeds, Patrice Désilets (and others) did and he doesn't get half of the cover or the recognition. Ass Creeds has been annualized cookie cutter clone bugfest disasters since Patrice Désilets left, which says a lot about Raymond's ability as a producer.

I mean... what work has she done that is so remarkable to get this media focus like she was a Kojima, Miyazaki, Barlog, Hennig or some *real* game director/designer? those shitty meme fodder annual ass creeds? the "Watch Dogs" scam? failure after failure after that? that Star Wars game at EA Motive they never made? that other great "Google Stadia" project she was part of for a fat check?

If THEY come up with a good game... great. But they could stop already with the "Jade Raymond this Jade Raymond that" and the fucking professional studio photographs while she hasn't done anything remotely remarkable for many years and what she did at UBI was mostly shit.

Last edited:
I much prefer this over the prospect of buying an entity with established multiplatform IPs and locking other consoles' users out of any future sequels...
I suspect Ember Lab, SlowClap, Camouflaj, Deviation Games and Arrowhead to be next in line. I also suspect that Sony will fund whatever project Ikumi Nakamura will be working on next...🤔

Last edited:

DJ12

I guess this is unpopular opinion but honestly, what I hate the most is all the buzz around Raymond... because she's a pretty face.

How many other UBI (or ANY other company's) producers got her kind of media cover? I don't think there's even known ones from the other franchises ffs. She is a *producer*, she didn't design shit in Ass Creeds, Patrice Désilets (and others) did and he doesn't get half of the cover or the recognition. Ass Creeds has been annualized cookie cutter clone bugfest disasters since Patrice Désilets left, which says a lot about Raymond's ability as a producer.

I mean... what work has she done that is so remarkable to get this media focus like she was a Kojima, Miyazaki, Barlog or some *real* game director/designer? those shitty meme fodder annual ass creeds? the "Watch Dogs" scam? failure after failure after that? that Star Wars game at EA Motive they never made? that other great "Google Stadia" project she was part of for a fat check?

If THEY come up with a good game... great. But they could stop already with the "Jade Raymond this Jade Raymond that" and the fucking professional studio photographs while she hasn't done anything remotely remarkable for many years and what she did at UBI was mostly shit.
She was put front and centre for assassins creed, this is not her fault.

Last edited:
The strange thing about almost all of these acquisitions is that I don’t play any of the games made by Bethesda, Activision Blizzard etc and I probably won’t play Haven’s game based on the little we know about it.

That said, this does make sense to me. It gives PlayStation a foothold in Canada with one of the biggest names in Canadian development now under their roof and it also looks like it’s taking PlayStation back into social territory as they formerly did really well with SingStar and Buzz and then gave up that market altogether. Now that Studio London is making AAA games again (in part, at least) then I did wonder when PlayStation would kickstart that social element again. Given their market share, I’m astonished they haven’t done huge online quizzes etc using PSN.

I imagine Sony want to expand into Canada. Deviation Games, who with Sonys funding have an absolutely huge facility (and now one in Canada too) are likely to be an acquisition. Sony have already got the IP and bankrolled the building, so once that MP game takes shape, that seems like an obvious next step.

AmuroChan

Assuming this is a Playstation exclusive game with "maybe" a PC version years down the line. Are there any successful platform exclusive service games?

If this is a 100% live service game, it's gotta be PS5/PC day and date. You can't take that risk of withholding the PC version for a couple years when the game could be dead by then.

LavosBit

Neo Member
Yeah, it’s been awhile, but I don’t think she was ever out there doing self-promotional victory laps and going all “what’s got two thumbs and deserves all the credit for (game)? This gal, motherfucker!”

That was all decided by folks above her pay grade in some cynical attempt to juice a product by relying on the tried and trusted “sex sells” strategy. I’d wager you haven’t heard anything about her in 15 years because she hasn’t been actively mugging for the attention.

Papacheeks

Banned

I mean... what work has she done that is so remarkable to get this media focus like she was a Kojima, Miyazaki, Barlog or some *real* game director/designer? those shitty meme fodder annual ass creeds? the "Watch Dogs" scam? failure after failure after that? that Star Wars game at EA Motive they never made? that other great "Google Stadia" project she was part of for a fat check?

Patrice Désilets was and is a big name like Cory Barlog. His name was thrown around a ton in mid 2000's and on for him being primary mind behind Assassins creed and Prince of Persia series.

FukuDaruma

Patrice Désilets was and is a big name like Cory Barlog. His name was thrown around a ton in mid 2000's and on for him being primary mind behind Assassins creed and Prince of Persia series.

He has 9,287 Followers... that alone already says a lot.

For any article about Désilets you can find 20 about Jade Raymond. And they are not even in the same league of interest: again... she is a *producer*. How many articles about producers you usally see around?

SSfox

For any article about Désilets you can find 20 about Jade Raymond. And they are not even in the same league of interest: again... she is a *producer*. How many articles about producers you usally see around?
And so? Beat It has 800M views, and still 100000 times better than many songs that has billions views.

Desilet was never about exposing himself, also his best era was an era where Twitter wasn't a big thing, yet.

Last edited:

yurinka

It was a Sony studio from the start.
No, they bought it now. It was independent before, even if their first game was going to be published by Sony.

After the Assassin's Creed where they both worked on, he only released a game about monkeys. She (and her teams) instead worked on many super hits like the first two Watchdogs, Spliter Cell Blacklist, The Division, more AC like Black Flag or Unity, some Far Cry, Rainbow Six Siege, Star Wars Squadrons and many more, plus EA hired her to create and lead a studio and Google hired her as VP to be in charge of the Stadia in-house games, and later she created a studio that got a 2nd party game that now Sony bought.

It's easy to see why she generated more articles and got more attention, and isn't to be hot. She -Patrice's boss, since the producer manages the development team and the creative director is part of it- has been way more successful, in way more games and with different key companies. And not only as producer, later she was promoted to executive producer responsible of New IPs (you may heard of The Division or Watchdogs) and studio manager, where she had other tasks and was also super successful.

She build Ubisoft Toronto from scratch and quickly turned it into the 2nd biggest Ubisoft studio and probably the 1st or 2nd most successful and productive one. Which was her task, not to be some creative mastermind behind their AAA games, role that doesn't exist. Later she got hired by EA to build and lead a new AAA studio. She did it in a record time, brought with her many talent from Ubisoft plus other AAA studios including top people like Amy Hennig. EA went crazy with their lootboxes and so on, killed the promising Amy Hennig Star Wars games and ruined the Star Wars Battlefront 2 game where Motive was working as support team (but not in the lootboxes etc. part), plus also made Star Wars Squadrons and greenlighted the Dead Space remake before she left.

Many people followed her to Google and hired other senior AAA talent with more key senior staff, where she was tasked as Google VP in charge of the in-house game development teams. Stadia underperformed and Google killed their internal development teams before they were able to release an internal team. Again, many people of her team followed her and hired more AAA senior talent (many of them from Ubi but also from other companies) to create a new studio and one of these ideas they had for Google became the project they are working on for Sony.

And well, many people don't know she started her game career at Sony Online Entertainment as lead coder in Jeopardy Online or Trivial Pursuit, where she got promoted to director of R&D but left to became the producer of The Sims Online when back then Sims was the best selling PC & EA game and to make an online version was something pretty innovative back then.

A producers role Is not to hire people or build a team either, its to make spreadsheets about work schedules and manage meetings.

AAA games aren't created by a person, they are created by a team with hundreds of people. Sometimes companies decide to put as 'PR star' their CEO, their creative director, their producer, their executive producer... and then people wrongfully label them as 'the creator of X game'.

Even at the top level of the game there is a team: there's the editorial team in the HQ that defines the vision of the company and the type of games they want to make, and overviews and greenlights each game and each milestone in terms of production, marketing and creative direction.

Under them in charge of a team there are 3 key people in charge of a project. The most important ones are the producer (in charge of the development of a game, managing its development budget and the development tasks, making sure the team reaches their milestones and to solve any development issue that may appear between departments in daily meetings and making sure everyone has something to do and what they need to work to make sure the development doesn't get stuck) and the product manager -who has on top a brand manager if it's an stablished series- (in charge of marketing and communications team of the game, also provides the inputs of what works and what doesn't in the market, market trends, previous entries in the series and/or in referrnce games or direct competition). The third is the creative director, in charge of the design and art of the game.

So on top of him or at the same level there were many people. And we also shouldn't forget that he didn't make the character design or concept art, that was made by concept artists. Same goes with the story or mechanics, there were other people to do that. He leaded them to achieve the creative vision agreeded with production, the product manager and the editorial team. A vision that got inputs from all of them plus from ideas of the people under them (concept artists, designers, writers, etc).

Every couple of weeks the product manager, producer and creative director reports the progress of the team to the editorial team who overviews and (almost always) greenlights each milestone, plus offering guidance, suggestions and ideas of needed (rarely something mandatory).

I did work at Ubisoft an was at these meetings. I did meet both Patrice and Jade personally (both super talented, each one on their area) but never worked with them.

She was the producer of the game, which means she was the one in charge of the development of the game. Which doesn't mean to be 'the creator' since there isn't a person who is 'the creator' (see above).

Yeah, it’s been awhile, but I don’t think she was ever out there doing self-promotional victory laps and going all “what’s got two thumbs and deserves all the credit for (game)? This gal, motherfucker!”

That was all decided by folks above her pay grade in some cynical attempt to juice a product by relying on the tried and trusted “sex sells” strategy. I’d wager you haven’t heard anything about her in 15 years because she hasn’t been actively mugging for the attention.
If you haven't heard about her job in 15 years is because you have no idea of what her job role was and what games her teams did. Plus a few that failed due to Google or EA issues not related to her or her team.

So they had a 2nd party relationship and now it's 1st party?
Yes, before it was an independent 3rd party studio that was developing a game that was going to be published by Sony (so a 2nd party game). Now Sony decided not only to fund and publish their game, they decided to buy the studio, which now will be a 1st party studio making a 1st party game.

Last edited:

Sega Orphan

Banned
I guess you could ask why Sony needed to grab them now rather than just wait and see how the game went, but maybe Tencent came knocking and Sony had to match. Who knows what's going on behind the scene.

On the positive side of things Sony got in on the ground floor and most likely got it cheaper than they would have after the game shipped, and it's a new IP as well.

FukuDaruma

I guess she had no choice but to make, sorry, *produce* all those annualized cookie cutter clones and scams like Watch Dogs... a real testament to her talent and why there has been articles (always with good pro studio photos) about her for years and years. Or maybe it was because of all the many amazing games she made, sorry, produce, after those marvellous UBI games...

This looks pretty cool. We'll see it in action by late 2023 I think.

I'm willing to bet we'll see it at their June showcase this year TBH. Something tells me the game is further along than might first suspect.

Just like Knack :D

Anyway, we know this is a live service based multiplayer game ala Rainbow Six Siege etc and its a small 60 person studio, so probably shouldn't expect the next Uncharted caliber game.

Welp Mark Cerny is on the project, this could be the Knack MMO of our dreams!

Jokes aside, I kinda get the feeling this is a more going to focus on melee and swordplay and not so much gunplay? So probably meaning it's not a FPS, probably something more third-person I'd reckon.

I mean if you go off Jade's resume the vast majority of the games they've worked on have focus on third-person combat and swordplay. FarCry 4's kind of the one big exception but you can still play that game without a big focus on guns. Also this new game probably has some type of notable focus on stealth.

If that all ends up being true then I'm really curious what it'll end up playing it as a live-service game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom