• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation acquires Haven, the new studio led by Jade Raymond

Kokoloko85

That also applies with MS purchases.
Without MS, COD wouldn't be big at all. Without OG xbox, bethesda wouldn't have made a console game, same for cdpr. And other western companies too.

No that is different. And its ok that its different. Theres not exactly any rules, its just how they have both mostly done business differently until recently

Playstation acquiring Naughty Dog, House Marque, or Insomnia is like when MS acquired Undead labs. Not like MS buying Bethesda or Activision.
The last time Sony went and bought IP’s was back when they bought Wipeout and Lemmings.

If Sony went and bought Capcom that would be like MS buying Bethesda etc. Even though Sony and Capcom have had a decent relationship, Capcom ip’s were made and established without Sony.
It doesnt matter if Playstation ecosystem contributed in making Resident Evil, DMC and Monster Hunter as popular as they are now. They are established 3rd party IP’s.

Unlike Naughty Dog, who worked with Sony and made multiple playstation only titles/IP’s like Jak&Daxter and Uncharted. Naughty Dog didnt create and release these games separate from Playstation. They are Playstation IP’S. They didnt release on PC or other consoles and then come to Playstation.
Like how MS made State of Decay with Undead labs, it was an Xbox ip and then Xbox aquired them, they had a working exclusive relationship.

Activision, Bethesda and CDPR never made a console only game for Xbox. Xbox never created these IP’s with these studios or publishers.
All the games have been released on PC and most cases other consoles. These studios never made an IP for Xbox

Hezekiah

Banned
Great to see Sony acquiring another fresh studio. Google's loss will be Sony's gain 😎

I guess Firewalk and Deviation Games are next.

kingfey

Banned
No that is different. And its ok that its different. Theres not exactly any rules, its just how they have both mostly done business differently until recently
They are the same. Its just that Sony specifically hired them to make games for their consoles, because they are small studio. That is it.

Playstation acquiring Naughty Dog, House Marque, or Insomnia is like when MS acquired Undead labs. Not like MS buying Bethesda or Activision.
The last time Sony went and bought IP’s was back when they bought Wipeout and Lemmings.
Its the same. Bethesda started on consoles, due to MS. Activision gained popularity and place in gaming industry due to xbox and xbox live.

If Sony went and bought Capcom that would be like MS buying Bethesda etc. Even though Sony and Capcom have had a decent relationship, Capcom ip’s were made and established without Sony.
It doesnt matter if Playstation ecosystem contributed in making Resident Evil, DMC and Monster Hunter as popular as they are now. They are established 3rd party IP’s.
Sony saved capcom from closing down. They made exclusive games for Sony. They have growth relationship. Without Sony, Capcom would not be relevent.

Unlike Naughty Dog, who worked with Sony and made multiple playstation only titles/IP’s like Jak&Daxter and Uncharted. Naughty Dog didnt create and release these games separate from Playstation. They are Playstation IP’S. They didnt release on PC or other consoles and then come to Playstation.
Like how MS made State of Decay with Undead labs, it was an Xbox ip and then Xbox aquired them, they had a working exclusive relationship.
Because Sony hired them to do exclusive games for them. Also Sony has a policy, that they will fund your game, but Sony will own the IP. because of that Sony owns all of the games these studios made for the console.
Insomniac had a deal with MS for that reason. They wanted to own their own IP. MS funded their game. And now Sony owns that IP, because they bought insomniac.

Activision, Bethesda and CDPR never made a console only game for Xbox. Xbox never created these IP’s with these studios or publishers.
All the games have been released on PC and most cases other consoles. These studios never made an IP for Xbox
Bethesda made morrowind exclusive to xbox. Which started their console journey. Cdpr made the witcher 2 exclusive to xbox 360, which started their console journey.
Without those 2 games, both of these studios wouldnt have had great success making their own games for those consoles.

Activision benefited massively from xbox live. Which increased their Multiplayer mode.

Last edited:
What is the big rush to acquire them? They're already making an exclusive for you. Why not let the game come out, see how it does, then decide at that point if you want to acquire them or not. If the game comes out and it's not good, this acquisition is going to look really stupid.

Locking down talent, when everybody else has their purses out. Plus, Hermen explicitely answered your question; Just make the effort of reading a few quotes...🤔

Kokoloko85

They are the same. Its just that Sony specifically hired them to make games for their consoles, because they are small studio. That is it.

Its the same. Bethesda started on consoles, due to MS. Activision gained popularity and place in gaming industry due to xbox and xbox live.

Sony saved capcom from closing down. They made exclusive games for Sony. They have growth relationship. Without Sony, Capcom would not be relevent.

Because Sony hired them to do exclusive games for them. Also Sony has a policy, that they will fund your game, but Sony will own the IP. Its Sony owns all of the games these studios made for the console.
Insomniac had a deal with MS for that reason. They wanted to own their own IP. MS funded their game. And now Sony owns that IP, because they bought insomniac.

Bethesda made marrowind exclusive to xbox. Which started their console journey. Cdpr made the witcher 2 exclusive to xbox 360, which started their console journey.
Without those 2 games, both of these studios wouldnt have had great success making their own games for those consoles.

Activision benefited massively from xbox live. Which increased their Multiplayer mode.

Same to you, not the same to me. Not that it actually makes an difference. Just the terms lol

How is Naughty Dog making an IP with Sony, the same as Bethesda porting over a PC game?
Or the same as Capcom making an exclusive for Playstation or Xbox

Ill tell you how they are different. They are so different, they have names for it already:

1st party - IP that is owned by the Platform/Console - Playstation/Xbox/Nintendo etc
3rd party - Games that go on multiple consoles and Pc - Publisher or Studio own the IP

3rd party Exclusives - 3rd party studio/publisher makes a game for a certain platform but owns the ip. The exclusive Platform does not own the ip like it does with its own 1st party games.

Port - When a game is made and released. And later ported over to another platform or PC

So they are not simply the same.
Whether Playstation Saved Capcom, or Bethesda ported their 3rd Elder Scrolls game and Xbox made it more popular, neither Playstation or Xbox made those ip’s or had any involvement in making it or claiming it.
Thats why they have definitions of 1st and 3rd party, 3rd party exclusive, they are different

Last edited:

pratyush

This is the type of acquisition both Sony and Microsoft should be doing. Fund new studio and if they make progress then own them. Will create new players in gaming space.

And yes this is risky.

And for this thread, didnt know that sexism is openly embraced here

freefornow

Gold Member
Sony seeing good things with studio so decided to pick it up. Sony wouldn't do this lightly.
As for Jade, suspect she will leave within 6 months and go on to "build" something else. She likes her independence.

It kinda is, on acount of their having funded the whole studio. Unless you want them to stick to growing their current roaster, which they would have been okay with, before MS resorted to cleaning house; Their acquisition spree has accelerated since 2021, for obvious reasons...🤨
Sony buys quality over quantity, not worried at all.

yurinka

looks different here
ps4pro-jade-raymond-1.jpg
I'd bet that photo is from at maybe 25 years ago.

This one is from last month:
image.jpg

What do you mean she never managed to launch a game?

And well, this list doesn't even a third of the games released by her teams. Plus before becoming a producer, she was a coder at Sony Online Entertainment.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Locking down talent, when everybody else has their purses out. Plus, Hermen explicitely answered your question; Just make the effort of reading a few quotes...🤔

He didn't answer my question. It was a carefully prepared PR statement with a lot of buzzwords. I have no problem with them locking down talent, but again, what's the rush? Haven already is under contract with Sony to make an exclusive. Are they afraid that the talents will suddenly all leave tomorrow? Why not take the same approach with their previous acquisitions? Let the game come out and see how it does first, then decide. Haven is not FromSoft. There's not going to be some crazy bidding war for that studio if you just wait a little bit. If you survey every PlayStation gamer out there and ask them to name their top 5 studio acquisition wishes, how many would have Haven on their list? I don't know why people are acting like this is some megaton acquisition. All the pressure is on Haven to prove itself, and they're making a live service game, a very competitive space to succeed in. I have nothing against them. I wish them the very best.

Last edited:

Belthazar

I would really like this to be a third person co-op shooter like Remnant, only with an insane budget and an endless stream of new content. I wouldn't even mind it being $70 + absurd mtx. I would be just my dream game at the moment.

Spacefish

She (and her teams) instead worked on many super hits like Watchdogs, Spliter Cell Blacklist, The Division, Rainbow Six Siege, Star Wars Squadrons and many more, plus EA hired her to create and lead a studio and Google hired her as VP to be in charge of the Stadia in-house games, and later she created a studio that got a 2nd party game that now Sony bought.

It's easy to see why she generated more articles.
The fact that we know every game she worked on and are now talking about her new studio yet nobody has a clue who the creative directors are is a weird phenomena. She is brought up as some kojima or Amy Hennig tier creative mind when this is obviously not the case. AAA games aren't made by a single person but there is always a desire to seek the key creative minds behind any work or studio, In almost all other cases credit is correctly attributed to someone with a large influence on the creative side (or at least the founder of a studio), in this case people chose to credit a manager who gave some e3 demo's. It's not her fault and if she ends up pulling together a stellar team and makes a good game then credit where it is actually due but there is thus far nothing about her career is of interest to anyone who enjoys games.

In the case of AC its obvious that the key guy was Patrice Désilets, there is a through line in all his games and so there's meaning in discussing and tracking his career, if you replaced the producer from most western games nobody would know.

The fact that this entire thread is about how she looks is the obvious answer to why this strange situation exists.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
I think the idea is to lockdown people who will put out hits, mainly senior talent.

Remember what people who left initiative didn’t have other things lined up because they can name their price where ever they want right now. Industry is begging for senior talent.

Look at Bungie acquisition. Sony spent an added 1.2 billion to retain talent.
Yeah a studio without talent is just a name.

IPs are all well and good, but talent trumps all. Especially with how complex game development is nowadays.

ethomaz

Banned
The fact that we know every game she worked on and are now talking about her new studio yet nobody has a clue who the creative directors are is a weird phenomena. She is brought up as some kojima or Amy Hennig tier creative mind when this is obviously not the case. AAA games aren't made by a single person but there is always a desire to seek the key creative minds behind any work or studio, In almost all other cases credit is correctly attributed to someone with a large influence on the creative side (or at least the founder of a studio), in this case people chose to credit a manager who gave some e3 demo's. It's not her fault and if she ends up pulling together a stellar team and makes a good game then credit where it is actually due but there is thus far nothing about her career is of interest to anyone who enjoys games.

The fact that this entire thread is about how she looks is the obvious answer to why this strange situation exists.
Well She is no Kojima but Kojima himself choose her to work with him in Metal Gear Solid 4.

Something she does right for games be successful but seems like Producers are not part of game success in some minds here lol

I consider even the girl/man that clean up the studio essential for a successful game imagine a Producer.

Last edited:

yurinka

I'm really curious what they mean by promoting "inclusion and caring" being a focus of the game.
I'd bet it will be something like:
-Chill/no harmful tone and social interactions from Sony's Animal Crossing / wholesome indie games. Co-op MP, no competitive MP.
-Sims / Media Molecule / Minecraft / Roblox / PS Home / Fortnite customization stuff for your character and probably 'home', probably not for the whole level or world
-Fortnite GaaS side

kuncol02

Banned
somehow got all the credits for Assassin's Creed 2 even tho her position on that game was mainly a manager role
Ubisoft really fucked over Désilets. Their actions not only made people think that Jade was responsible for his opus magnum, they also bought his new studio just to cancel his game and fire him again.

I would really like this to be a third person co-op shooter like Remnant, only with an insane budget and an endless stream of new content. I wouldn't even mind it being $70 + absurd mtx. I would be just my dream game at the moment.

I'm thinking it'll be more like a Sims or Animal Crossing type game based on the description of it so far. Also not something in Sony's current portfolio.

Spacefish

Well She is no Kojima but Kojima himself choose her to work with him in Metal Gear Solid 4.

Something she does right for games be successful but seems like Producers are not part of game success in some minds here lol

I consider even the girl/man that clean up the studio essential for a successful game imagine a Producer.
It's a nice sentiment, that all people are essential for the success of any specific game but its just not true. Some people are replaceable and others aren't. Producers are often replaceable.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
No, they bought it now. It was independent before, even if their first game was going to be published by Sony.

After the Assassin's Creed where they both worked on, he only released a game about monkeys. She (and her teams) instead worked on many super hits like Watchdogs, Spliter Cell Blacklist, The Division, more AC, some Far Cry, Rainbow Six Siege, Star Wars Squadrons and many more, plus EA hired her to create and lead a studio and Google hired her as VP to be in charge of the Stadia in-house games, and later she created a studio that got a 2nd party game that now Sony bought.

It's easy to see why she generated more articles and got more attention, and isn't to be hot. She -her boss, since the producer manages the development team and the creative director is part of it- has been more successful. And not only as producer, later she was promoted to executive producer and studio manager, where she had other tasks and was also super successful.

AAA games aren't created by a person, they are created by a team with hundreds of people. Sometimes companies decide to put as 'PR star' their CEO, their creative director, their producer, their executive producer... and then people wrongfully label them as 'the creator of X game'.

Even at the top level of the game there is a team: there's the editorial team in the HQ that defines the vision of the company and the type of games they want to make, and overviews and greenlights each game and each milestone in terms of production, marketing and creative direction.

Under them in charge of a team there are 3 key people in charge of a project. The most important ones are the producer (in charge of the development of a game, managing its development budget and the development tasks, making sure the team reaches their milestones and to solve any development issue that may appear between departments in daily meetings and making sure everyone has something to do and what they need to work to make sure the development doesn't get stuck) and the product manager -who has on top a brand manager if it's an stablished series- (in charge of marketing and communications team of the game, also provides the inputs of what works and what doesn't in the market, market trends, previous entries in the series and/or in referrnce games or direct competition). The third is the creative director, in charge of the design and art of the game.

So on top of him or at the same level there were many people. And we also shouldn't forget that he didn't make the character design or concept art, that was made by concept artists. Same goes with the story or mechanics, there were other people to do that. He leaded them to achieve the creative vision agreeded with production, the product manager and the editorial team. A vision that got inputs from all of them plus from ideas of the people under them (concept artists, designers, writers, etc).

Every couple of weeks the product manager, producer and creative director reports the progress of the team to the editorial team who overviews and (almost always) greenlights each milestone, plus offering guidance, suggestions and ideas of needed (rarely something mandatory).

I did work at Ubisoft an was at these meetings. I did meet both Patrice and Jade personally (both super talented, each one on their area) but never worked with them.

She was the producer of the game, which means she was the one in charge of the development of the game. Which doesn't mean to be 'the creator' since there isn't a person who is 'the creator' (see above).

If you haven't heard about her job in 15 years is because you have no fucking idea of what her job role was and what games her teams did. Plus a few that failed due to Google or EA issues not related to her or her team.

Yes, before it was an independent 3rd party studio that was developing a game that was going to be published by Sony (so a 2nd party game). Now Sony decided not only to fund and publish their game, they decided to buy the studio, which now will be a 1st party studio making a 1st party game.

Read my last post again....

kingfey

Banned
How is Naughty Dog making an IP with Sony, the same as Bethesda porting over a PC game?
Or the same as Capcom making an exclusive for Playstation or Xbox
Because Sony hired naughty dog to make the game for their system. They did a job, which they were paid for. Its a contractor work. Just like how moon studio made Ori games for MS. Or how Asobo made flight simulator.
Bethesda used xbox to port their pc game. Just like how CDPR used Xbox to port their Witcher 2 pc. Both of these 2 games, were exclusively on xbox consoles. Without Xbox, none of them would have ported their pc games to consoles.

Ill tell you how they are different. They are so different, they have names for it already:

1st party - IP that is owned by the Platform/Console - Playstation/Xbox/Nintendo etc
3rd party - Games that go on multiple consoles and Pc - Publisher or Studio own the IP
3rd party games sometimes go exclusive to certain consoles. Morrowind for xbox. SF15 for PS. and lastly, Bayonetta 3 for nintendo. All of these games are made by 3rd party publishers. But they are exclusive to a certain console.

What you are trying to make sense is this.

1st party game= Xbox/Nintendo/PS studio games.
2nd party= Made by 3rd party studios. But the IP is owned by the console maker.
3rd party games= 3rd party publishers. Sometimes, its timed exclusive. Some time its system exclusive. and sometimes its on all systems. 3rd party owns those IPs.

Port - When a game is made and released. And later ported over to another platform or PC
Port means old games, which are ported to another system. Day1 games are not ported. Or else, most 3rd party games would be PC ported games to consoles.
Games like God of war, Halo Master chief, and Yakuza games on xbox.

So they are not simply the same.
Whether Playstation Saved Capcom, or Bethesda ported their 3rd Elder Scrolls game and Xbox made it more popular, neither Playstation or Xbox made those ip’s or had any involvement in making it or claiming it.
Thats why they have definitions of 1st and 3rd party, 3rd party exclusive, they are different
You have to understand the organic part. Organic means the studio only worked on 1 console, but they are not owned by that console.
Bungie, naughty dog, Insomniac, housemarque arent organic, because they made games for other systems.
If we are counting those studios as organic, then bethesda, cdpr, bungie would be organic for xbox.
Bethesda 1st console in house studio was morrowind. Cdpr was witcher 2. Bungie made halo for xbox. All these companies made their 1st IP console games for xbox, before PS (Not counting 3rd party games, which are funded by another party). You will also get in to other companies, which started franchises on certain consoles.

It's a nice sentiment, that all people are essential for the success of any specific game but its just not true. Some people are replaceable and others aren't. Producers are often replaceable.

Lol no. Unless the creative directors themselves are capable of effective production managment, producers are very much essential to, you know, actually producing a product.

Last edited:

Spacefish

Lol no. Unless the creative directors themselves are capable of production managment, producers are very much essential to, you know, actually producing a product.
Yes, they are essential in the same way the investors are essential, without them nothing is made yet if you find a replacement nothing meaningful about the end product will change. Jade raymonds name being attached to a game tells you absolutely nothing about the end result, from a consumers perspective it's an irrelevant piece of information yet we are choosing to discuss it, why?

kingfey

Banned
Lol no. Unless the creative directors themselves are capable of effective production managment, producers are very much essential to, you know, actually producing a product.
Until you find a better one. Everything is replaceable. Anything can happen to the producers, or any dev that is working on the game. Companies have a back up plan for these cases.
Unless the company want to lose alot of money, if any of their key important leaves without a back up.

CosmicComet

Producers have little direct influence on the experience. That role can change midstream without too much interruption.

Creative Directors being switched out can completely halt a game's progress and put it in limbo.

C2brixx

Great to see Sony acquiring another fresh studio. Google's loss will be Sony's gain 😎

I guess Firewalk and Deviation Games are next.
The more studios Sony and Tencent acquires during this period of time that Microsoft's Activision acquisition is being reviewed bodes well for Microsoft getting approval by the FTC.

ahtlas7

Bravo Jade! I’m sure we’re setting on the precipice of something truly amazing. I so hope it has parkour
parkour GIF

Last edited:
Producers have little direct influence on the experience. That role can change midstream without too much interruption.

Creative Directors being switched out can completely halt a game's progress and put it in limbo.

Same thing applies to producers. Unless you actually believe poor production managment doesn't affect the end product

Until you find a better one. Everything is replaceable. Anything can happen to the producers, or any dev that is working on the game. Companies have a back up plan for these cases.
Unless the company want to lose alot of money, if any of their key important leaves without a back up.

They don't have back up plans. If there's one thing that should be obvious to anyone looking at game dev history it's that these companies are very much reactionary to their problems.

Spacefish

Again. Completely wrong. The producer can be the difference between a product actually getting shipped to a product not getting shipped.
You're missing the point. There are 50 other very experienced producers at a giant company like Ubisoft, you can swap them in and out and there will be no perceptible change, Who they are is an irrelevant piece of information to a consumer. Trying to argue they are on the same level as a lead artist or writer or creative lead is ridiculous.

kingfey

Banned
They don't have back up plans. If there's one thing that should be obvious to anyone looking at game dev history it's that these companies are very much reactionary to their problems.
Oh, the highschool projects problems is still affecting top companies. I thought we will get rid of these problem, when we grow up. guess, I was wrong.

Duchess

I'd bet that photo is from at maybe 25 years ago.

This one is from last month:
image.jpg

And well, this list doesn't even a third of the games released by her teams. Plus before becoming a producer, she was a coder at Sony Online Entertainment.

Still would.

You're missing the point. There are 50 other very experienced producers at a giant company like Ubisoft, you can swap them in and out and there will be no perceptible change, Who they are is an irrelevant piece of information to a consumer. Trying to argue they are on the same level as a lead artist or writer or creative lead is ridiculous.

No. You just don't understand difficult production managment actually is. Case in point those 50 other very experienced producers struggling to get Ubisoft's games out on time or out of dev hell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom