• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation acquires Haven, the new studio led by Jade Raymond

FukuDaruma

After the Assassin's Creed where they both worked on, he only released a game about monkeys. She (and her teams) instead worked on many super hits like Watchdogs, Spliter Cell Blacklist, The Division, more AC, some Far Cry, Rainbow Six Siege, Star Wars Squadrons and many more, plus EA hired her to create and lead a studio and Google hired her as VP to be in charge of the Stadia in-house games, and later she created a studio that got a 2nd party game that now Sony bought.

Your "he only released 'a game about monkeys'" but her projects "failed due to Google or EA issues not related to her" sure expose a totally unbiased and exquisitely neutral opinion.

I guess UBI specificly fucking Désilets over and his projects several times even years after they kicked him out isn't worth mentioning either in your recap.

You mention all those UBI games like they are great testaments of talent and quality (the only quality there is from the workers involved, not the managers at all), instead the cookie cutter cash grabs and scams and meme fodder bugfests and grindfests for mtx from an exploitative company famous for their toxic work culture. Where can I read Jade Raymond's opinion about all that? because that would be a real good reason to make an article/interview with her.

Same with her later supersuccesful projects of cashing great with big companies like EA and Google and have nothing more than fat checks to show for it.

She's been promoted as the face of Ass Creeds and other franchises, labeling her in the media as "CREATOR", yes. I assume not against her will. But of course that "creator" label can be so deceiving as to say that Yves Guillemot is the "creator" of Assasins Creed and everything else.

Say what you will about Désilets and his "game about monkeys", but he remains the main *creative* talent responsible for the original Assasins Creed, which was the real milestone and breakthrough in original concepts and mechanics from which all the others have been ripping off without any memorable innovation for 15 years. His "game about monkeys" was at least something original, instead of the 20th recycled clone of the same shit he did 15 years ago.

The question remains the same. Has any other producer from any company, ever, had as much media cover as Jade Raymond had and keeps having?

2M1jOtY.png

Last edited:

CosmicComet

Same thing applies to producers. Unless you actually believe poor production managment doesn't affect the end product
Its an ancillary overseer/business management role that is more easily replaceable than someone actually elbow deep in the project such as a creative director or even animation director.

Movies switch producers all the time. Losing a director is often a death knell for a project.

Games have a creative director's 'DNA' in them. Not a producer's. Unless you are an indie dev where you have to act as everything.

A.Romero

This is a weird acquisition to say the least. It's not about how capable is Jade Raymond because she is not the studio itself. On the other hand, the studio doesn't have any IP's.

I guess it was a good deal...

Its an ancillary overseer/business management role that is more easily replaceable than someone actually elbow deep in the project such as a creative director or even animation director.

Movies switch producers all the time. Losing a director is often a death knell for a project.

Games have a creative director's 'DNA' in them. Not a producer's. Unless you are an indie dev where you have to act as everything.

Good video game producers like Jade are good at their job because they themselves are developers who are elbow deep in the development process. Again, that makes a world of difference.

Are they really needed for a Kojima project? Nope most likely not. But they're a dime a dozen

Are they needed for a Ken Levine project? Absolutely

Last edited:

Keihart

Is not even thursday and Jim is already bring the out of touch vibe.

"But i heard kids these days like those ubisof creed games? i think she made them" i can imagine Jim saying something similar this week at work.

Last edited:

yurinka

Star Wars something 2 as General Manager.

All game she worked:

There are many missing games in that list. As an example she started as coder in Jeopardy and Trivial Pursuit in Sony Online Entertainment. Plus while she was the studio manager of Ubisoft Toronto they developed many games that don't appear there.
"But i heard kids these days like those ubisof creed games? i think she made them" i can imagine Jim saying something similar this week at work.
Unlike you Jim knows that games aren't made by 1 person. And unlike you he knows her career and what role / tasks she had in each job position she had, and that none of them were to be "the one who creates games". Position which btw doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Most likely cost Sony no more than fat retention bonuses to the people who work at Haven. They don’t have any I.Ps to pay for.

Could be a good get. Time will tell

Last edited:

Keihart

There are many missing games in that list. As an example she started as coder in Jeopardy and Trivial Pursuit in Sony Online Entertainment. Plus while she was the studio manager of Ubisoft Toronto they developed many games that don't appear there.

Unlike you Jim knows that games aren't made by 1 person. And unlike you he knows her career and what role / tasks she had in each job position.
I doubt it.

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Sweet. Hope she pulls out another hit. Assassin's Creed is probably my most played franchise ever - and Ezio's tale was by far my favorite.

Deerock71

I'd bet that photo is from at maybe 25 years ago.

This one is from last month:
image.jpg

And well, this list doesn't even a third of the games released by her teams. Plus before becoming a producer, she was a coder at Sony Online Entertainment.
Never had a girl, eh? I know...because you wouldn't be talking about her age like that if you had. :p

EDIT- To attractive women, just tell them you wouldn't kick them out of bed for eating Ritz crackers.

Last edited:

Chronicle

I'm not sure I entirely agree with this statement. I mean, the producer is the game/movie. It's their idea and they bring it to audiences. They've hired the director to make their project the best it can be. Theyre the money (sometimes), do the hiring/firing and oversee the whole project. Without the producer there is basically jack.

Jade Raymond is good at her job.

Hezekiah

Banned
The more studios Sony and Tencent acquires during this period of time that Microsoft's Activision acquisition is being reviewed bodes well for Microsoft getting approval by the FTC.
It will get approval without doubt.

The good thing for Sony and Tencent is that it leaves MS tied up in terms of further acquisitions for the next 15 months or so. Although these two companies are following a different approach towards acquiring studios.

yurinka

The fact that we know every game she worked on and are now talking about her new studio yet nobody has a clue who the creative directors are is a weird phenomena. She is brought up as some kojima or Amy Hennig tier creative mind when this is obviously not the case. AAA games aren't made by a single person but there is always a desire to seek the key creative minds behind any work or studio, In almost all other cases credit is correctly attributed to someone with a large influence on the creative side (or at least the founder of a studio), in this case people chose to credit a manager who gave some e3 demo's. It's not her fault and if she ends up pulling together a stellar team and makes a good game then credit where it is actually due but there is thus far nothing about her career is of interest to anyone who enjoys games.

In the case of AC its obvious that the key guy was Patrice Désilets, there is a through line in all his games and so there's meaning in discussing and tracking his career, if you replaced the producer from most western games nobody would know.

The fact that this entire thread is about how she looks is the obvious answer to why this strange situation exists.
I suggest you to read my previous posts here, I explain there her career and why is important -in fact more than the one from Kojima, Amy or Patrice-, and what her and Patrice's job position meant in Ubisoft (I worked there) beyond being PR faces.

Belthazar

It's a nice sentiment, that all people are essential for the success of any specific game but its just not true. Some people are replaceable and others aren't. Producers are often replaceable.

If you think any project (be it a movie, a game, a tv show, etc) can succeed without a good producer to get things going you've never worked on one.

Also, everyone is replaceable... Everyone. Having competent people at each position is not tho.

Last edited:

yurinka

Here you have the roles where he has been credited for each game:
https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,36620/

Last time he was credited as game director was for Mario 64. For Mario Galaxy he was credited as 'Game Design Concept' and 'executive producer'. Since then he has been always producer/general producer/executive producer or supervisor.

He is creditted as producer (on different roles) in way more games than as designer or director.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

Last time he was credited as game director was for Mario 64. For Mario Galaxy he was credited as 'Game Design Concept' and 'executive producer'. Since then he has been always producer/general producer/executive producer or supervisor.

He is creditted as producer (on different roles) in way more games than as designer or director.
Like I said since 1987 he started to works more as Producer than Designer or Director.

His creations were more at begin of the career but the fact that these creation are still as influential and popular as before is a feat.

Last edited:

Keihart

I'm not sure I entirely agree with this statement. I mean, the producer is the game/movie. It's their idea and they bring it to audiences. They've hired the director to make their project the best it can be. Theyre the money (sometimes), do the hiring/firing and oversee the whole project. Without the producer there is basically jack.

Jade Raymond is good at her job.
Depends a lot on the studio, producers are really different between west and japan, some directors like Hideo Kojima or Shinji Mikami or even Hideki Kamiya end up doing a little bit of everything of both roles to have more creative freedom on some projects, but on the west there is usually several directors and producers, where producers rarely have creative roles, albeit there are some exceptions.

In this case, idk, sounds like some of this air sellers kind of producers, but who knows. The funny part of this is that sony is buying a studio with no reputation or expectations based on probably just a concept or this producers reputation, meanwhile they used to have long relationships with devs before opting them in before.

I don't see any reasons to be hyped about it, looks like a wild bet to me.

Spacefish

I suggest you to read my previous posts here, I explain there her career and why is important -in fact more than the one from Kojima, Amy or Patrice-, and what her and Patrice's job position meant in Ubisoft (I worked there) beyond being PR faces.
I worked in the industry and am familiar with what people in her position do, Every notable position she had was about making the money men happy and keeping budgets and schedules under control. Its usually a thankless task and very difficult to do well, I'm sure she was fine at it. I'm not an investor who's burning money trying to fund a game, I care about the game from a consumers perspective and every role she's had there was someone next to her or under her who is more relevant to the creative and artistic output. She didn't build Ubisoft Toronto alone, it was done with the creative director of splinter cell conviction, the talent they draw in has a close relationship with this guy, not the person managing tasks and timeframes. At every step of the way (through no fault of her own) she receives all the credit, there are people in this thread who think this studio is going to make the next assassins creed because of the complete misunderstanding of what game development roles are about.

Producer means something completely different in Japan.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

They must have shown something good, they didn't just blindly breakout the chequebook.

Sony is also trying to build up it's multiplayer/gaas so it makes sense.

Editaur

Having the lead game designer of Rainbow Six Siege (now Director of this studio) is okay too I guess.

Last edited:

Spacefish

Source?

I see no difference in job role between a Nintendo’s producer and Xbox’s producer.
personal experience, I know what producers do in the west, its not an especially high level job (you will find former game journalists, former QA fulfilling this kind of role). It is common knowledge that japan uses the term differently, if you know what a western producer is it also makes 0 sense that someone like kojima or miyamoto would touch that kind of task.

Last edited:

Keihart

Source?

I see no difference in job role between a Nintendo’s producer and Xbox’s producer.
Producer is way different in japan, see most notable japanese directors acting as producers as well very often. You can hear it from the horse mouth if you watch some interviews, i've heard Toyama talking about it recently on Harada's show.

FukuDaruma

So we are really doing this... comparing Shigeru Miyamoto's creative talent and career to Jade Raymond's... :messenger_tears_of_joy:🤦‍♂️:messenger_ok:

3rVdlyt.png
TGElzpp.png

q166Gst.png

I'm also sure Miyamoto had so much media coverage because he is a great "producer" like Raymond, and not because he is the DESIGNER and DIRECTOR of Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, ...

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Jim got a banga :messenger_ok:
Jim got a banga? Did he tho?

I'm optimistic that Sony could make something of a studio they likely got at a basement bargain price, but the studio's output to date is zero.

Additinally Jade Raymond's career output has been questionable at best (see prior Gaf diacussions).

Chronicle

Depends a lot on the studio, producers are really different between west and japan, some directors like Hideo Kojima or Shinji Mikami or even Hideki Kamiya end up doing a little bit of everything of both roles to have more creative freedom on some projects, but on the west there is usually several directors and producers, where producers rarely have creative roles, albeit there are some exceptions.

In this case, idk, sounds like some of this air sellers kind of producers, but who knows. The funny part of this is that sony is buying a studio with no reputation or expectations based on probably just a concept or this producers reputation, meanwhile they used to have long relationships with devs before opting them in before.

I don't see any reasons to be hyped about it, looks like a wild bet to me.
Isn't Kojima the producer on his own games?

Not hyped. Thanks for responding

Your "he only released 'a game about monkeys'" but her projects "failed due to Google or EA issues not related to her" sure expose a totally unbiased and exquisitely neutral opinion.

I guess UBI specificly fucking Désilets over and his projects several times even years after they kicked him out isn't worth mentioning either in your recap.

You mention all those UBI games like they are great testaments of talent and quality (the only quality there is from the workers involved, not the managers at all), instead the cookie cutter cash grabs and scams and meme fodder bugfests and grindfests for mtx from an exploitative company famous for their toxic work culture. Where can I read Jade Raymond's opinion about all that? because that would be a real good reason to make an article/interview with her.

Same with her later supersuccesful projects of cashing great with big companies like EA and Google and have nothing more than fat checks to show for it.

She's been promoted as the face of Ass Creeds and other franchises, labeling her in the media as "CREATOR", yes. I assume not against her will. But of course that "creator" label can be so deceiving as to say that Yves Guillemot is the "creator" of Assasins Creed and everything else.

Say what you will about Désilets and his "game about monkeys", but he remains the main *creative* talent responsible for the original Assasins Creed, which was the real milestone and breakthrough in original concepts and mechanics from which all the others have been ripping off without any memorable innovation for 15 years. His "game about monkeys" was at least something original, instead of the 20th recycled clone of the same shit he did 15 years ago.

The question remains the same. Has any other producer from any company, ever, had as much media cover as Jade Raymond had and keeps having?

2M1jOtY.png

What a silly comparison when you consider the fact that she's been far more successful with big name job titles over the years.

She isn't "just" a game producer, she has risen to levels of being an executive and a VP and worked for EA, Ubi Soft, and Google, started her own studio, and now works for Sony. That will get you some results.

Look up Phil Harrison and tell me how many results you get or Shuhei Yoshida.

yurinka

They are facts, not opinions.

You mention all those UBI games like they are great testaments of talent and quality (the only quality there is from the workers involved, not the managers at all),
The first thing I said is that games are created and made by a team (which includes both managers and workers), not by a single person.

I didn't mention his issues because my post was already too long, isn't related to the topic and because I don't want to trash him even if I can. Everybody who worked with both will tell you both are very talented each one in their area. Regarding her, most people will also tell you she is a great leader and that it's great to work for her. Regarding him, some ended in the court.

Regarding the talent and quality yes, there is and there were a huge amount of super talented people at Ubisoft, and these are two of them. You know these two because they were PR stars back then at Ubisoft, and most of the other PR representatives didn't become that well known (other than obviously Guillemot and Michel Ancel). Ubisoft have dozens of millions of fans who love their games and buy them again and again.

Guess what, not everybody has the same tastes than you and your personal taste (or mine) doesn't define if a game is good or not. Each person has is different tastes and opinions. The players who are the target of each game decide if they like the game or not, and keep buying it if they like it.

exploitative company famous for their toxic work culture.
I did work there for years. Had and still have many friends working at many Ubisoft studios. It was a pleasure to work there, I only heard about these horror stories in the gaming media.

They have like 40 studios, over 20K employees and way more that in these over 35 years of the company worked there. So yes, I assume at least some of these horror stories must be true just by statistics, but is totally unrelated of what I lived there and what I know. There was a good, open culture with some rare cases -way less frequent than in other places where I worked- of some coworker or boss acting sometimes like an asshole but nothing special and not of the level of the claims made.

But well, that's another topic unrelatetd to this thread.

Where can I read Jade Raymond's opinion about all that? because that would be a real good reason to make an article/interview with her.
She publicly complained about idiots like the ones of this thread, from the gamers/journalists side downplaying her work because she is hot. There are articles about it even before the whole woke bullshit started. I don' t remember to see her complaining about coworkers or bosses, but I assume that being hot she must have had to handle at least with some thirsty wankers.

I did work with many women at Ubisoft and only one of them told me a horror story she had, but had it in another company where she worked, before joining Ubisoft. I didn't knew by third persons cases of horror stories.

Some of these women I did work with include many talented ones, like who started to work in the company in the beginning like 35 years ago and was tasked many years later to create and lead the first AAA studio of my country, as they also did with Raymond (but in her case obviously there were AAA studios in Canada). Or one of the top marketing people in Ubisoft, or another one in charge of the Just Dance brand, and many in lower rank positions. And some hot ones too.

In my last department team had a coworker at my same level of jew/Israeli origins and our boss was a woman (seen as hot by many) of muslim/palestinian origins. We never had a politics/religion/sexism/etc related argument/discusion/talk there. We only had the same arguements/discussion/talks there about resources, tasks, available time, creative vision etc. you can find in any other place.

I mentioned in a previous post of this thread that doesn't make sense to label someone as creator of a AAA game and anybody close to AAA development knows it. I also explained her role in AC, or what is the role of a producer in Ubisoft and basically most AAA companies plus the other key roles involved.

TLDR: These games are created by a huge team and tons of people add inputs and have different roles. The role of the producer is to be in charge of the development team side of the game. The product manager is in charge of the marketing/sales/communications/numbers side of the game. With them they have a creative director in charge of the creative side of the project, which in practice means to manage the game design and art side of the game. Over this key people have the editorial team setting a vision and guidelines for the company, overviewing the project and greenlighting the milestones, helping with advice and offering best practices or suggestions when needed.

Say what you will about Désilets and his "game about monkeys", but he remains the main *creative* talent responsible for the original Assasins Creed, which was the real milestone and breakthrough in original concepts and mechanics from which all the others have been ripping off without any memorable innovation for 15 years.
He was part of a very talented team. His creative talent almost killed the project because it was originally planned as a Prince of Persia sequel and many ideas were too diferent of the original plan, didn't work and ended in the garbage bin or were cut and some of them ended included in the sequel.

Being creative director means to be in charge of concept arts who draw settings, art styles and characters, game designers who define mechanics and features, writers who write stuff etc. He filters and approves this stuff they make for him agreeing it with he product manager (who brings the input of what the market/players are asking for/what worked in other games/etc), the editorial team who sets the editorial vision for the company/brief overview of the types of game they want to make and the producer who is the glue between all this people, has to make sure everyone is in the same page and then has to make sure the team can develop it with the available budget, resources and time (which also means to stop/cut stuff if they are being too ambitions and the coders say it can't be done/won't run properly, or if marketing says it won't work, etc).

2M1jOtY.png
There are many creative directors who worked in way more super successful AAA games and new IPs than Desilets. But not many producers who worked in more super successful AAA games and new IPs than Jade. Maybe Miyamoto and a handful more.

But well, most people never know who the producers or creative directors of a game are, since in most cases they aren't PR spokepersons, or they are but press don't mention their names.

In any case, I assume she got more google entries first because having worked in more super hits and having created more news for stuff like getting hired by top companies in top positions etc generates more news. But also being a hot female causes many extra entries from horny wankers and from idiots who refuse to understand that a hot female can do a good job and be very talented, which is her case.

Top Bottom