• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Meeting 2013 Thread: Go Fourth

Cosmozone

Where the heck can I watch the presentation from the start? Was too late for me for watching yesterday. Everywhere I tried threw me right in the middle of it, claiming it was live (?).

aganu

tykdj9K.jpg
Word.

Feature

Banned
Was anyone else expecting for the guy from MM to say they found the perfect tool to make your dreams come to live: 'The occulus rift'?

Then he said 'the move controller' and I was super underwhelmed.

Overall I thought it was a well put together conference with some big reservations, namely:

1. Not actually seeing the console was a no-no.
2. No last guardian mention - when it's at the top of everyone's mind - was also a strange choice.
3. The "engine demos" - I think we've all been around long enough to be wary of this terminology, and Deep Down/Luminous didn't change that. Impressive stuff to be sure, but this really remains to be seen.
4. Not enough UI.

Some truly next gen moments though, with the Killzone reveal graphically really bringing down the house and some of the features - live streaming gameplay, spectating, controller take-over - really suggesting possibility. As interested as I am by the "fastest gaming network" claims, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I thought it was a good conf though. I'm surprised by the negativity honestly.

Number45

Was anyone else expecting for the guy from MM to say they found the perfect tool to make your dreams come to live: 'The occulus rift'?

Was immediately clear in that segment that it would be Move (although I have to admit I was expecting an update - perhaps we'll get a new design closer to launch?). Not sure how you would use the Rift to create - it can augment it of course (but then so I assume can the new camera), but it can't be the tool.

I'm surprised by the negativity honestly.
I'd have been surprised by anything but.

Main thing I wanted to see last night was confirmation of the hardware specs, which we got with the added bonus of the (IMPOSSIBLE!) 8GB GDDR5. A few franchises I like were shown along with some nice looking new IP, and Diablo (which I'm really excited for, screw the haters) too. :)

My only complaint about the conference was wheeling people on for tiny segments that didn't show us much, or anything (and yes, I realise Blizzard were one of these. I'd have been more pleased with the chord and logo).

DemonNite

Overall I thought it was a well put together conference with some big reservations, namely:

1. Not actually seeing the console was a no-no.
2. No last guardian mention - when it's at the top of everyone's mind - was also a strange choice.
3. The "engine demos" - I think we've all been around long enough to be wary of this terminology, and Deep Down/Luminous didn't change that. Impressive stuff to be sure, but this really remains to be seen.
4. Not enough UI.

Some truly next gen moments though, with the Killzone reveal graphically really bringing down the house and some of the features - live streaming gameplay, spectating, controller take-over - really suggesting possibility. As interested as I am by the "fastest gaming network" claims, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I thought it was a good conf though. I'm surprised by the negativity honestly.

this is neogaf etc.. etc...? :)

well I should say the office is excited today after yesterday :p

Azrael

My speculation after the event: MS is moneyhattng the hell out of publishers so the 720 will be the only next-gen system to have games like GTA 5 and Battlefield 4 and this conference was hastily thrown together as pre-emptive damage control. PS4 might be the better system but does that matter when you have a competitor that can buy success? I like the hardware, but the Vita is nice hardware too and Sony just doesn't seem capable of competing anymore.

Cool conference, got a bit more than I expected. Few thoughts:

- I love the controller.
- The whole "Vita in the living room" thing caught me off guard. Here's hoping they follow through
- Wondering how disparate MS's hardware will be and how it will affect multi-platform.
- Most of the presenters looked high as hell.
- Sucker Punch's game basically sold the system for me, if nothing else
- I'm hoping the remote play actually materializes this time but I'm not getting my hopes up
- "Everything Everywhere" is very exciting, but again...tempering my expectations
- Destiny didn't look good to me

i had a dream last night about how there was this spokesperson saying how people can tell it's ps4 without a ps4 being there and they tried to demonstrate with a group of women and some men if they can tell if the games are wii and wii u. it was just weird lol.

Lmo911

I'm all sorts of chaffed they didn't show the box...I know it's just an aesthetic thing, but I wanna see it. :(

As for the rest of the event, it was like a really good 1-1.5 hour event stretched to two. They evangelized too much, and their supplemental video just went over it again. Sony did a good job, but need to tighten it up a bit.

Other thoughts:
- 8gb of crazy ram!
- You opened with Knack? I mean I understand the guy was there but still?
- New dual shock looks nice.
-All the gaikai stuff will be crazy if they can pull it off. But it sounds like it will be a continuing project post release, etc. so I'm not expecting much out of the gate.
- Streaming downloads!
- Drive club guy goes to track day naked practically confirmed.
- I want sexy capcom dragon game now!
- I do not care about your tear gas experience! Maybe at another event or something...
- Will diablo 3 have the real money auction house?

UFRA

$69.99 MSRP for next gen games is fair imo. Any price over that would be absurd.

How can you say that when like 80% of current $60 games now come with a black and white 2 page manual that says "thanks for helping us save paper, the manual is on the disc."

Why am I paying the same price for a game with less physical content than in 2007?

$70 is ridiculous.

Most of the presenters either looked really awkward (especially the Bungie guys) or were trying just a bit too hard with their facial/body gestures or their words. They just looked unnatural and uncomfortable on stage. This is a common problem among many gaming and tech companies, IMO.

The event as a whole was just OK. Highlights for me were the 8 GB GDDR5 and Deep Down.

Vodh

I'm beginning to worry about Microsoft countering with full BC and a ridiculous price like 100 bucks with 2 years XBL subscription plan or something like that...

It's most likely a place-holder. However, if it is, then it's a clear sign that Amazon is expecting per-game pricing to be higher than it is now. The question is why they would be expecting that.

No, it's a clear sign Amazon has no idea what pricing will be so they're putting it at $99.99 because why not? Take off the tin foil hat.

There seems to be a lot of scraping the bottom to try and make a joke about this meeting. It was actually really well done/professional. Not everything has to be like the Konami conference...

Raoh

Do we have a downloadable link to the event yet? Or has anyone uploaded to icefilms?

just moved, my pc, ps3, vita or wii u have not been setup yet is not setup at home yet. I'm pretty much limited to cable, appletv, nexus 7, iphone 5 access until the weekend.

Ran rp

Is the GT recording of the meeting the highest quality one on the net? I want to sit down and watch the whole thing tomorrow since I missed it due to class.

Just wanted to pop in and say that posted a video of my reactions/ thoughts at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLvz4mNn1qQ

Off TV Play via Remote Play is the best news out've the evnt followed by streaming and of course games.

Watch Dogs impressed me the most. I love the inFamous series so Second Son is another must have. Killzone and Drive Club also looked cool.

If its $400 I will get it day 1. Might get it day one at $500 too but not anymore than that.

teiresias

With all due respect, man... I love you, but... No way. That was incredibly canned.

EDIT: Also, why on earth did they bring out all the Bungie guys just to have most of them stand there silently? What was even the point?

You can look at the Deep Down demo in the high def videos and tell quite plainly that it was real-time. Was it "in-game"? . . . No, because there's no game yet. It was a real-time engine demonstration (as was said in the conference) using assets from a new IP that may become a game. It was obviously all pre-staged animation and camera angles, but it was rendered in real-time.

1cmanny1

I thought that! I got excited for a minute, but I knew it wouldn't happen.

Top Bottom