• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Meeting 2013 Thread: Go Fourth

Hopefully a HD download is available soon. That live stream kept crapping out on me in the worst way. I'd like to watch a better version of the gameplay footage, especially Killzone.
After a quick search it looks like Gamespot has 720p versions of the footage for the games shown, including Killzone, on Youtube. There is also an official trailer on youtube for Killzone in 1080p but it is a straight trailer and not the gameplay demo seen at the conference.

I am so excited for E3 now! It seems like Sony wanted to let the world know Playstation 4 exists and what new, exciting attributes go with it that would be more fitting at this type of reveal. That could only mean that at E3 they really blow the doors off. It's like a two-part story; everybody wants the second part as soon as the first part is over and Sony knows that. The "second part" of the PS4 reveal at E3 is sure to be as much, if not more, on peoples' minds as the next Xbox's unveiling.

l99X6Wj.jpg

Nizz

God, I got out of work at midnight and missed all the craziness. :( I hope I can get to watch the show somewhere. I'm kind of in shock right now, I just watched the gameplay video for the new Killzone game and it looked stunning. :0

I also read that the PS4 has 8GB of ram? Wow, so we should be good for a long time then huh?! Battlefield 4 at 60fps and 64 players then?

So much to take in, damn...

Soi-Fong

God, I got out of work at midnight and missed all the craziness. :( I hope I can get to watch the show somewhere. I'm kind of in shock right now, I just watched the gameplay video for the new Killzone game and it looked stunning. :0

I also read that the PS4 has 8GB of ram? Wow, so we should be good for a long time then huh?! Battlefield 4 at 60fps and 64 players then?

So much to take in, damn...

GDDR5 ram. Can't forget that important bit. ;)

Nizz

GDDR5 ram. Can't forget that important bit. ;)
That's fast ram, right? I remember reading about how 4GB of that type of ram would have been less than what Microsoft are supposedly including in their next system but it was way faster.

And now they announce that PS4 has 8! I'm definitely getting this beast.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
That's fast ram, right? I remember reading about how 4GB of that type of ram would have been less than what Microsoft are supposedly including in their next system but it was way faster.

And now they announce that PS4 has 8! I'm definitely getting this beast.

Normally, computers (and consoles) use SDRAM for their regular memory, which is slower than GDDR RAM, which until now has been used exclusively in video cards as video memory.

Using GDDR RAM for a regular memory pool, and having it be unified, is a crazy awesome (and probably expensive) proposition.

Moff

I was pretty disappointed

the only 3 videos that showed what we expect from next gen where the initial unreal 4 demo, the capcom dragon thing and the old squar enix trailer. and all of them didnt make a real "ingame" impression, they seemed like realtime engine demos.

the onl real live played ingame footage was quite disappointing, watchdogs does not look next gen at all and killzone had some impressive parts (everything with nice stuff far in the distance), and some parts that looked like current-gen (the actual shooting). but I am sure this game will look amazing when it hits, previous killzone games always had great graphics. wat I saw yesterday, though, is not what I expect from nextgen though.

destiny looks nice though, I never liked the halo games (although I deeply love fps), but destiny looks real nice, I somehow believe bungie can pull this off, as much as I dispise halo, I can appreciate that the gameplay was really good. I kind of hoped for crossplattform play though, its too bad they announced platform specific content.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Normally, computers (and consoles) use SDRAM for their regular memory, which is slower than GDDR RAM, which until now has been used exclusively in video cards as video memory.

Using GDDR RAM for a regular memory pool, and having it be unified, is a crazy awesome (and probably expensive) proposition.

its more ram than in any PC GPU, including the Titan. Its insane (obviously power isn't at titan levels, but loads of ram is fantastic)

Knoxcore

Solid conference. 8/10.

I hope we see more PS4 games at GDC and finally see the hardware at E3 or even earlier. Launch lineup is going to be important.

-BLITZ-

I'm super confused because I just got up from bed. Is now still Live to what I'm watching ?

Okay, now I get it, they repeat.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Here are my thoughts:

1) Probably best controller ever made.

2) CPU-freeing benefits from Havok shit will never be seen to change gameplay.

3) I'm not a social gamer, don't give a shit. The only possible benefit to me is maybe, maaaaaybe somehow finding the same scheduled time to game voice chat with some far off bro while watching him play shit live or vice-versa. Back in the day I would do that with friends and single player RPGs, deciding together what to do. That was fun.

4) Don't care about video sharing except people may finally stop taking video of their screens, lol.

5) You want to "suit my preferences"? Do something groundbreaking and let me mark racists and sexists and then never match me with anyone marked that. Otherwise it's meaningless to me.

6) Playing through Vita will not function. It's an impossible dream unless every internet everywhere is perfection.

7) All the "creative" stuff is too much work for a hella boring end result. The arts are for artists in artistic mediums. Some (guaranteed) shitty virtual sandbox will only be good to 0000.2% of the population who are extremely talented, patient, and don't like videogames.

8) Graphics overall are about what I expected. PC was already doing the overall look with ENB stuff and officially stepping away from old platforms allowed for doing the kind of animation PCs could do right now. The system aesthetic seemed to be a bit Source-ish which I enjoy.

9) Knack looked cute. Sony has heart and I appreciate that.

10) Killzone looked like abject shit. The most uncreative thing they possibly could have done.

11) Deep Down has a great look about exactly as expected of Capcom artists, but do they have any game design talent left? Is this the Dragon's Dogma team? Hopefully?

12) DriveClub is something every racing fan has wanted forever. Some tried the concept and failed miserably. If they are the team to actually succeed, it could be the best racing game ever. I'm a little concerned about their borderline sexual attraction to cars, but I guess they are committed?

13) Everything else: YAAAAWWWWN

-BLITZ-

So that black thing is the entire Playstation 4 ? How the hardware had found a way to fit in there. Now that's something. It sure does going to look good under the TV.

WoolyNinja

I don't understand the negative posts - you like playing video games right? Realize that even if you don't like the Playstation brand, Sony basically just made sure that next-gen will be solid. Microsoft will at the very least have to match what Sony has shown today for the next Xbox. We all won today.

Feature

Banned
This presentation was amazing and it blew anything from E3 the last 5 years out of the water. Good job sony and the games looks crazy and the features... well it blew me away. 8GB DDR5 means it will be the console of choice for real gamers.

mclem

What if I never, ever want anyone to spectate my games, under any circumstances?

Is this a setting I can change?

There might be some awkward questions if a viewer decides you've been spending far too long staring at Hitomi's cleavage...

zoukka

This presentation was amazing and it blew anything from E3 the last 5 years out of the water. Good job sony and the games looks crazy and the features... well it blew me away. 8GB DDR5 means it will be the console of choice for real gamers.

Now that's a sentence you can frame on your wall.

Teknoman

$69.99 fair? I seriously hope thats not the new nextgen price for the majority of games on the PS4/ Xbox whatever. $49.99 was ok, and $59.99 is pushing it already.

Jack_AG

Banned
$69.99 fair? I seriously hope thats not the new nextgen price for the majority of games on the PS4/ Xbox whatever. $49.99 was ok, and $59.99 is pushing it already.

Yup. We already have higher fidelity PC games for cheaper than their console counterparts so I'd hate to get shafted with 70 dollar games. My collection would slim down REAL fucking fast if that's the case.

gl0w

Finally i can say something.

I loved everything so far, Sony really dropped the bomb very well.
8GBGDDR5? Incredible. If MS stays with DDR3 they should stay at home, i dont see how they can compete.

I was hoping to see BF4 there, but that's ok.

Note: All the games showed are still in development, so they will be optimized and will look much better for sure.

wilflare

posted this in another thread.. but thought I should mention here

really wondering if they will
(1) Bundle the Eye and Move with every PS4
(2) Make Remote Play, Share features a mandatory feature in every game..
(3) Make a Buy a PS4, Get a Vita at % off Bundle..

they need to do this so the developers can be assured there's a definite install base for the eye/move/vita to make implementing the said features worthwhile..

and (2) is a must..

and.. dang I really hope they open up the system for Indie Devs.. (like a sort of App Store or Steam Greenlight)

this would really make a big difference imo

ekim

For me all those Share-Button, Remote-Help, Spectate features mean nothing - on my PS3 and 360 I have about 2-3 friends in my friendlist :eek:

Console features:

+++ Suspend/wake up --> finally!
++ 8GB GDDR5 Ram --> WTF?
++ Insta-demo for all(?) PS4 games --> this is huge
++ Play while downloading --> Does it playback the "first 1GB" it has downloaded or is it just the insta-demo feature? If the latter, I will wait until the download is done.(latency, graphics)
+ Companion apps to buy stuff and start downloads on the go
+ Remote play --> my favorite feature but only for Vita - I want it on a bigger screen (tablet)
+ The controller --> looks good but I have to feel it.

+- That kinect thing --> I don't know anything about it but it sounded like its only tracking your controller? Is it mandatory?
+- that social stuff mentioned at the top of this post --> doesn't interest me

Games:
+++ Watch_Dogs --> I want it NAU!
++ Knack --> looked surprisingly good - liked the art style
++ Deep down --> Color me intrigued
+ Killzone Shadowfall --> Graphics looked nice but gameplay is not my cup of tea
+- The Witness --> Looked like "Minigame - The Game"
+- Drive Club --> Can I play it alone?
+- Destiny --> the in-engine stuff looked ok - I curious how it will play

Other:
--- Squenix trollin' hard.

I'll give it a 7/10

Top Bottom