• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation State of Play - February 3rd (1pm PT / 9pm UK / 4pm ET)

SLB1904

Banned
PSVR2 deep dive
God of War Ragnarok
Horizon FW
GT7
Resistance trilogy remaster
New Guerilla games IP
FFXVI
MGS trilogy remaster
New Bluepoint games IP
Dragons Dogma 2
Street Fighter VI
Silent Hill remake
Spider-Man 2
Wolverine

To end the show, Sony will announce they have purchased Capcom and Square.

That's probably what I would expect from this event.
September mate.
You going to get horizon state of and if you lucky gt7, but kaz likes to do its on thing

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
PSVR2 deep dive
God of War Ragnarok
Horizon FW
GT7
Resistance trilogy remaster
New Guerilla games IP
FFXVI
MGS trilogy remaster
New Bluepoint games IP
Dragons Dogma 2
Street Fighter VI
Silent Hill remake
Spider-Man 2
Wolverine

To end the show, Sony will announce they have purchased Capcom and Square.

That's probably what I would expect from this event.
Sounds more like wet dream than any kind of prediction

Shmunter

D7KW3VkWkAAmLHW.png:large

Perrott

Gold Member
Chrono Cross composer recently said he's going to reveal a new project next month. So the long rumored remake should show up here.

Hogwarts Legacy is also expected. Epic and Iron Galaxy would probably show some more Rumbleverse, which is scheduled for a February release. Tchia, coming spring 2022, might get a release date, as well as Ghostwire Tokyo. We should also get a new, final look at either GT7 or HFW. Plus some other indie game announcements/updates.

And that should be it. The March event should be where all the heavy hitters come in.

Last edited:
Apart from ms dropping some bombs as a ps5 owner we got some pretty good few months of gaming coming up….hopefully a state of play gives us some view of what’s after that

SilentUser

This "insider" is not reliable, right? Anyway, a SoP could happen by then and I image we would see Horizon FW, Gran Turismo 7, SiFu and a few other games. One or two new indie titles (I apreciate them, bring it on!) And I guess that's it.

Anxiously waiting for the PSVR2 full reveal, hope they will do a big show 😎 And Sony, please bring back Resistance with full PSVR2 support 🤩

Markio128

I’d like them to show more of GT7 and present the PSVR 2, though I think both get their own SOP. Other than that, some FF16 news, with a release date.
I wonder if the buyout of Acti/Bliz will prompt Sony to tease some of their multiplayer offerings?

Playstation (Sony) has been so silent this gen. It’s excrutiating.
that's what I said in other thread. I'm sick of waiting. we got nothing in 2021.
Horizon State Of Play was good but other than that...
Sony wasn't at E3. so we waited for that PS5 showcase which was hyped by leakers and Sony people.
and what we got was bunch of 3rd party multiplatform stuff and at the end GOW gameplay trailer, Spiderman 2 (which we knew it was in development)
and only real announcement of 2021, Wolverine. short CGI teaser.
it's the year after the launch and you don't show anything ?! Jim said "25 games in development".
you couldn't show 4 of them ? even if they were 4 cgi trailers I would be happy. just show me what are second Guerrilla and Santa Monica teams doing

that's what I said in other thread. I'm sick of waiting. we got nothing in 2021.
Sony wasn't at E3. so we waited for that PS5 showcase which was hyped by leakers and Sony people.
and what we got was bunch of 3rd party multiplatform stuff and at the end GOW gameplay trailer, Spiderman 2 (which we knew it was in development)
it's the year after the launch and you don't show anything ?! Jim said "25 games in development".
you couldn't show 4 of them ? even if they were 4 cgi trailers I would be happy. just show me what are second Guerrilla and Santa Monica teams doing
I think they should buy Konami, or its IPs and put those second teams on it!

Umbasaborne

Banned
We didnt realize how good we had it from 2013-2018, where sony would have multiple press conferences a year with multiple exciting announcements. I think they've learned all the wrong lessons from nintendo

Last edited:

yurinka

This "insider" is not reliable, right?
Not reliable, isn't an insider and he was just making a guess instead of leaking anything.

But it's true that the last State of Play was made while ago so it would make sense to make another one soonish specially when they recently released GoW 2018 on PC and very soon they will release Uncharted 4 refurbished, the Uncharted movie, Horizon 2, Sifu, Elder Ring or Gran Turismo 7 and they also must have a shit ton of exciting 2022 games or random 3rd party marketing deals to fulfill. Plus, even if I think they will wait some months more, they could reveal PSVR2 headset/games/price/release date or Spartacus any random day, like next Tuesday.

So yes, I think it makes sense to expect a State of Play around early February.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
thats because its simply a PR lie. Every game studio has like 3-4 projects they fuck around with any time. doesnt mean they all see the light of day.

All you have to do is look at how long it takes them to produce one game and then figure out when their next game is going to come out. Nearly all of them take 5-6 years to make games now. Sony never scaled up their first party teams last gen and now they are struggling to fill 1.5 hour E3 conferences. 5 years to make cross gen sequels? how long will it take to make a next gen new IP with new ideas to take full advantage of the cerny IO magic sauce, new AI and physics that would require rewrite of their cpu driven programs and a complete revamp of their level design? definitely more than 5 right? 6, 7, or 10 years?

They were MIA in 2019 too. Not a single conference. not even those trashy state of plays. thats just their reality now. they will skip a year and have a decent year the next year where they will show off stuff like 2-3 years away. and even that shit might be cross gen like Horizon, miles, GT7 that were shown in 2020.

Showing off wolverine. 2024-2025 title that started dev only months before the official announcement just shows they have nothing else to to fill in those years. anything next gen they will reveal this year will be 2024-2025 or later.

SlimySnake

We didnt realize how good we had it from 2013-2018, where sony would have multiple press conferences a year with multiple exciting announcements. I think theyve learnes all the wrong lessons from nintendo
The Nintendo comparison is very interesting. And on point. Nintende directs are a obviously an inspiration for state of plays, and their disdain for their fanbase definitely mirrors Nitnendo's. They have both gotten a taste of the casual fanbase and pandering to a bunch of fanboys on twitter, gaf and reddit is no longer their concern.

Of course with sony losing elder scrolls and cod, it changes everything and i suspect they will come crying back to us soon if they want to save their business like they did in the ps3 and early ps4 era.

Perrott

Gold Member
thats because its simply a PR lie.

Showing off wolverine. 2024-2025 title that started dev only months before the official announcement just shows they have nothing else to to fill in those years. anything next gen they will reveal this year will be 2024-2025 or later.
Wait- you really believe they have absolutely nothing unannounced and exciting for what remains of 2022 and 2023? What? Have you not been paying attention?

They have their largest lineup of first-party software ever currently in development, and this year, and the next, and the one after that, and all the others to follow are gonna be fucking insane. Covid messed their and their partners' plans really bad, you've seen it by how some of the biggest names in the industry skipped 2021 entirely when it comes to making new game announcements or doing updates on already announced stuff. But that's over now, and news should finally start coming in by March.

Learn to have some patience.

mejin

Wait- you really believe they have absolutely nothing unannounced and exciting for what remains of 2022 and 2023? What? Have you not been paying attention?

They have their largest lineup of first-party software ever currently in development, and this year, and the next, and the one after that, and all the others to follow are gonna be fucking insane. Covid messed their and their partners' plans really bad, you've seen it by how some of the biggest names in the industry skipped 2021 entirely when it comes to making new game announcements or doing updates on already announced stuff. But that's over now, and news should finally start coming in by March.

He's in his delirious phase again. You are the one who has to have patience till he comes back to normal lol

SlimySnake

i really dont get the pandemic excuses. Pandemic didnt stop CoD from releasing every year. it didnt affect Ass Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, and any other big AAA franchises that were due last year. Why is it only affecting Sony studios?

Delays I get. Everything gets delayed. But announcements of new games? missing entire 2019 and 2021? Everyone spent the entire year waiting for them to reveal Cory's new IP, GG's new IP, ND's new IP and got dick. They are clearly not ready to even reveal a CG trailer or they wouldve just like they did wolverine. a 2024 game they revealed in 2021. And lets face it, they will push it to 2025 and blame it on covid.

I was told to be patient last year. They will surely never have a year without a big holiday title. all nonsense. this year, they will have factions which was announced a while ago and even that is very likely to be a last gen title.

Dont fall for covid excuses or PR lies. If they had something they wouldve shown it already. there is no secret bluepoint MGS remake that was supposed to be released in 2021. No silent hill kojima game. No way in hell can they release horizon 2 in 2022 and release a next gen only new IP in 2022. Same goes for SSM's new IP after they ship GOW in late 2022. Insomniac is their most productive studio and even they are going to take at least 2.5 years to make spiderman 2. that puts the next game from GG at holiday 2024 and SSM's new IP at spring 2025. They just had their worst year in a decade with just 2 first party releases. They are set to release 3 cross gen games this year. I have no idea where this faith is coming from after the 2021 they just had.

So who is due? You seem to have been paying attention. Please tell me who is coming out with a next gen only game in 2022 and 2023? Which studio?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
i really dont get the pandemic excuses. Pandemic didnt stop CoD from releasing every year. it didnt affect Ass Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, and any other big AAA franchises that were due last year. Why is it only affecting Sony studios?

Delays I get. Everything gets delayed. But announcements of new games? missing entire 2019 and 2021? Everyone spent the entire year waiting for them to reveal Cory's new IP, GG's new IP, ND's new IP and got dick. They are clearly not ready to even reveal a CG trailer or they wouldve just like they did wolverine. a 2024 game they revealed in 2021. And lets face it, they will push it to 2025 and blame it on covid.

I was told to be patient last year. They will surely never have a year without a big holiday title. all nonsense. this year, they will have factions which was announced a while ago and even that is very likely to be a last gen title.

Dont fall for covid excuses or PR lies. If they had something they wouldve shown it already. there is no secret bluepoint MGS remake that was supposed to be released in 2021. No silent hill kojima game. No way in hell can they release horizon 2 in 2022 and release a next gen only new IP in 2022. Same goes for SSM's new IP after they ship GOW in late 2022. Insomniac is their most productive studio and even they are going to take at least 2.5 years to make spiderman 2. that puts the next game from GG at holiday 2024 and SSM's new IP at spring 2025. They just had their worst year in a decade with just 2 first party releases. They are set to release 3 cross gen games this year. I have no idea where this faith is coming from after the 2021 they just had.

So who is due? You seem to have been paying attention. Please tell me who is coming out with a next gen only game in 2022 and 2023? Which studio?

I think you are forgetting about PSVR2. I think some of those games will be PSVR2 exclusives and they can't talk about those games, until they reveal that headset. Which they should be showing LITERALLY any week now. Why Jim hates exciting the PS fanbase is beyond me. He does literally hate Playstation hardcore fans.

Perrott

Gold Member

This year we're due to get the long-awaited Bloodborne remaster which was kept from being shown to not coincide with Elden Ring's marketing campaign, we will get The Last Of Us remake, we well get Factions, and according to the Nvidia leak we will also get Helldivers 2 from Arrowhead. We will also get PlayStation VR2, which will come with a it's own lineup of first-party exclusives, some of which might even by hybrid PS5/PSVR2 games. This is all on top of already announced heavy hitters such as Horizon: Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7 and God of War: Ragnarok.

Next year new releases in the WipEout, inFAMOUS and Twisted Metal series are expected, per various reports. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 is already confirmed to be arriving in 2023. From Software has been developing a new IP for the PS5 for quite some time now, which is very likely to come out next year. Guerrilla's and Firewalk's multiplayer games would both have been in development for over 5 years by 2023, so their releases are somewhat expected as well. And this is without accounting for any potential wild cards like Kojima's next title, Bluepoint's first "Miles Morales-sized" original game project or surprising XDEV collabs. Not to mention the several massive moneyhats Sony has locked down for the next couple of years.

PS5 doesn't have a lineup issue, so be patient. Elden Ring was shown in-game more than a year after than originally intended, so of course the pandemic was a huge issue and a massive blow to the development timelines of all studios, Japanese developers in particular.

Last edited:

Pandemic caused many of the largest studios in Activision to be working on the same CoD title. Ass Creed and Watch Dogs were basically done mostly by the time the pandemic hit. The pandemic has had an impact, but I think the larger problem is games are just taking longer to develop. Bigger scope. Better visuals. It comes with a cost.

Sony has been super secretive on their 2nd team expansion projects. Let's just wait and see what they announce and not assume the worst. Sony has really stopped announcing MOST projects too early. The only exception being Wolverine, likely just because it's already a massive IP so you don't need to show much of any substance to get people excited.

The next-gen vs cross-gen thing...it just doesn't bother me much at all. A good game is a good game. Sony is still producing the top tier of visual productions. Would I like next-gen only? Sure....but it's not like 2022 isn't an incredible year with mostly cross-gen content.

EDMIX

Make a sop of acquisitions or nothing.

lol I feel sorry for that PR and Marketing department. They were probably out here writing shit like "get readying for some amazing reveals, can't wait to show what we have in store, GREAT NEWS coming"

annnnnnnd MS buys Activision

PR guy is like "Ok boss, but we delaying the State Of Play until we buy a team doe right.....RIGHT"

Sony "nah, put it out as planned, we'll worry about that later, we still have games to market"

PR ..

3c9f12d6cfd667e9069fdd63c9c5a37b.jpg

Shmunter

lol I feel sorry for that PR and Marketing department. They were probably out here writing shit like "get readying for some amazing reveals, can't wait to show what we have in store, GREAT NEWS coming"

annnnnnnd MS buys Activision

PR guy is like "Ok boss, but we delaying the State Of Play until we buy a team doe right.....RIGHT"

Sony "nah, put it out as planned, we'll worry about that later, we still have games to market"

PR ..

3c9f12d6cfd667e9069fdd63c9c5a37b.jpg
Haha. The only option is to maintain course as if nothing happened. Concentrate on what was coming and sweat while doing it.

EDMIX

Haha. The only option is to maintain course as if nothing happened. Concentrate on what was coming and sweat while doing it.

Pretty much. I don't envy that PR department right now lol

I think they are probably in talks to buy a publisher or at the least need to re-evaluate their strategy as COD was a big part of it, but that doesn't really sound like something that happens over night though.

So I think many will be upset, triggered at the state of play, but it can't be helped. Everyone will be like "WOOOOOW this is Sony's answer to MS buying Activision" lol I don't know such shifts to happen fast, they probably are changing something to combat this, simply not revealed, announced or talked about right away.

Maybe they already knew they were in talks and prepared themselves with this or something.

who knows.

Bramble

Thread title got me hyped, then I saw it's just another wild guess for a date that makes sense by Serrano. People still believe this melt?

If Sony announced that they bought Konami, and had Metal Gear, Silent Hill, and Castlevania in active AAA development, that would top the Activision buyout for me by FAR.

EDMIX

The MS-Activision deal according to multiple people only started really becoming a possibility at the end of October.

oh wow really? Didn't know such deals could be done so quickly. Thats some scary shit.

Maybe Sony wanted something just in case or maybe we (and by we I mean me) are looking too deeply into that new AAA IP with ex COD devs being an answer to COD, for all we know it something else entirely.

I'm ready for a yakuza 8 announcement.

This 1000x.

I need that Yakuza 8 only for PS5, Series X and Kenzan and Ishin remaster collection lol

schaft0620

My guess:

Q1 SoP:

Horizon FW launch trailer
Ghostwire release window
God of War release date
GT7 delayed to May/June
1 or 2 indie games
The Last of Us Collection (MP, TLOU Remastered, TLOU 2) $70
Moss 2 release date
GTA5
Red Dead 2 + Red Dead 1 PS5
Nobody Saves the World
Lego Star Wars
Whatever one of the 3 big WB games that is coming in 2022 gets a release window PS exclusive DLC.
Chrono Cross Remaster
That OG FF PC collection that just came out

Summer/May SoP:
Strickly PS VR2. Geoff and the 3rd parties will get everything else.

Late Summer/Fall SoP:
GoW launch trailer

Bramble

My guess:

Q1 SoP:

Horizon FW launch trailer
Ghostwire release window
God of War release date
GT7 delayed to May/June
1 or 2 indie games
The Last of Us Collection (MP, TLOU Remastered, TLOU 2) $70
Moss 2 release date
GTA5
Red Dead 2 + Red Dead 1 PS5
Nobody Saves the World
Lego Star Wars
Whatever one of the 3 big WB games that is coming in 2022 gets a release window PS exclusive DLC.
Chrono Cross Remaster
That OG FF PC collection that just came out

Summer/May SoP:
Strickly PS VR2. Geoff and the 3rd parties will get everything else.

Late Summer/Fall SoP:
GoW launch trailer

Lol. You do realize SoP's are just short showcases focused on 1 or 2 games or a bunch of smaller ones, right? This sounds more like a 2 hour PSX show. And Ghostwire release date already leaked on PS Store: March 24.

Top Bottom