• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation State of Play - February 3rd (1pm PT / 9pm UK / 4pm ET)

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
September mate.
You going to get horizon state of and if you lucky gt7, but kaz likes to do its on thing

Sony will want to counter the news of the Microsoft Activision deal.

This state of play will be filled with megaton announcements and at least confirmation of Sony purchasing two publishers.

That is the absolute least I'd expect. If we're getting silly with predictions then add GTA 6 to the list, but I'm trying to keep it realistic.

SLB1904

Banned

This state of play will be filled with megaton announcements and at least confirmation of Sony purchasing two publishers.

That is the absolute least I'd expect. If we're getting silly with predictions then add GTA 6 to the list, but I'm trying to keep it realistic.
Hype

Papacheeks

Banned

Horizon preview that are out look stunning. I don’t think Sony has anything they need to do to counter.

Orpheum

Wow okay :messenger_grinning_sweat:

In my opinion the next state of play will simply revolve around Horizon FW and VR2, coupled with the usual indies and maybe one major third party published game. Just trying to keep my hype in check.

SLB1904

Banned
Wow okay :messenger_grinning_sweat:

In my opinion the next state of play will simply revolve around Horizon FW and VR2, coupled with the usual indies and maybe one major third party published game. Just trying to keep my hype in check.
I expect vr to have its own show

You think an early February state of play will have anything as a reaction to the MS acquisition you're setting yourself up to be disappointed.

I also don't think Sony will counter the MS news in any way. They are just busy giving us...you know...previews of games like Horizon and Gran Turismo footage and releasing God of War on PC. Basically they are busy giving us games since we're not investors.

Sony isn't going to do nothing and will remain totally silent on the matter and not respond in any way. I HOPE they would announce project spartacus for $14.99 a month, Add extensive Ps3 backwards compatibility, and buy Capcom, Konami, and Square Enix.

Sony isn't going to do nothing and will remain totally silent on the matter and not respond in any way. I HOPE they would announce project spartacus for $14.99 a month, Add extensive Ps3 backwards compatibility, and buy Capcom, Konami, and Square Enix.
Konami...? Why? They wouldn't be an advantage for Sony in any way. Thet wouldn't acquire an entire company to have Metal Gear and Silent Hill. I'd much more likely expect them to pay to use some of their IPs.

Somehow i agree with Capcom and Square-Enix though.

Konami...? Why? They wouldn't be an advantage for Sony in any way. Thet wouldn't acquire an entire company to have Metal Gear and Silent Hill. I'd much more likely expect them to pay to use some of their IPs.

Somehow i agree with Capcom and Square-Enix though.

I would expect that if Sony got ahold of Metal Gear and Silent Hill, they would become westernized. Metal Gear would be a cinematic AAA game in the vein of the new God Of War, with old snake coming out of retirement and going on one last mission with otacon, and Silent Hill would be a shorter last of us clone. I can see it now. I think only Kojima and maybe Bluepoint would do them justice, not Bend Studio, Naughty Dog, or Santa Monica.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
I think we will get jack shit the whine until the next underwhelming sop 3 months from now. Remember, playstation under jim ryan does not want you to be excited about their brand

Last edited:

schaft0620

Lol. You do realize SoP's are just short showcases focused on 1 or 2 games or a bunch of smaller ones, right? This sounds more like a 2 hour PSX show. And Ghostwire release date already leaked on PS Store: March 24.
I believe that Sony needs to and wants to create its 2022 roadmap plus the mega PSX showcase that it has every summer needs to be centered on PS VR2 now.

Lognor

Banned

You're joking, right?

I would think by now that folks have figured out that this is not what State of Plays are about. We've had at least half a dozen of them and every time people over hype them.

Last time they showcased Five Nights at Freddy's and Bugsnax DLC. Those were the highlights! I mean, come on!

I was actually trying to go back and look at previous State of Plays, but there is no wiki and even Sony doesn't give a shit about these presentations.

Look at Sony's own website for their State of Play presentations:

The last video they have posted is from October 15, 2020!

IDKFA

You're joking, right?

I would think by now that folks have figured out that this is not what State of Plays are about. We've had at least half a dozen of them and every time people over hype them.

Last time they showcased Five Nights at Freddy's and Bugsnax DLC. Those were the highlights! I mean, come on!

I was actually trying to go back and look at previous State of Plays, but there is no wiki and even Sony doesn't give a shit about these presentations.

Look at Sony's own website for their State of Play presentations:

The last video they have posted is from October 15, 2020!

I'm deadly serious.

This will be absolutely megaton. People will be talking about this for years. Wait and see.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

rick james cocaine GIF

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's not intended to be bait. I actually believe Sony will come out swinging. I hope they do anyway. Strong competition benefits all gamers.

You're in for a universe of disappointment if you think they're gonna even attempt to "combat" a 70 billion dollar acquisition that happened quietly over Christmas.

God of War 2 gameplay and the revival of some old franchise is about as good as you're gonna get.

IDKFA

You're in for a universe of disappointment if you think they're gonna even attempt to "combat" a 70 billion dollar acquisition that happened quietly over Christmas.

God of War 2 gameplay and the revival of some old franchise is about as good as you're gonna get.

Nah. I'm convinced Sony will be packing more heat than Helios. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree until after the show, but I think you're going to be shocked with the amount of fire Sony bring out.

Lognor

Banned
Nah. I'm convinced Sony will be packing more heat than Helios. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree until after the show, but I think you're going to be shocked with the amount of fire Sony bring out.

Can you point to one State of Play that was on the level you are speculating? If you haven't been paying attention, Sony saves their big hitters for what they call "Playstation Showcase." The State of Play presentations are for indies, AA games and for more in-depth coverage of previously announced games.

Did you check out the link I posted from Sony's own website? They haven't updated the State of Play presentations since 2020, so not even Sony gives a fuck about these things.

yurinka

Nah, they don't give a fuck about MS acquisitions.

They will stick to their already existing previous plans, which pretty likely will be to make a February State of Play focusing on their main games for the upcoming few months: Uncharted movie, Horizon 2, Sifu, GT7 plus some H1 2022 indie games and one or two random Asian games. And maybe Elder Ring and a reminder of the recent Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection and GoW PC releases.

So I expect to see many GOTY candidate material but no important game announcements other than some minor indie/Asian F2P game.

They are still supply constrained so wouldn't make sense to rise the hype too much and games like Uncharted refurbished collection, Horizon 2, Sifu, Elder Ring or GT7 will be enough to keep the hype high these months. The xbox fans will get a Crash Bandicoot twitter profile image and the PS fans Horizon 2, Sifu, GT7 and Forspoken releases instead.

Then, once they release these games and other top H1 game (they have Forspoken in late May), probaly in June (probably pre-E3) they will announce and release Spartacus, to reveal the remaining PSVR2 stuff (headset, price, date, other launch window games other than Horizon VR).

Then in a post E3 event (probably July) they'd had a State of Play with some H2 2022/early 2023 stuff as TLOU MP game/TLOU remake/TLOU 2 PS5/TLOU(maybe 1+2?) on PC, and release a new GoWR trailer with a September release date.

Then in August during EVO finals I think they'll announce or showcase many fighting games coming to PS, some of them being exclusive. They may announce there the acquisition of ARC System Works.

Last edited:

IDKFA

Can you point to one State of Play that was on the level you are speculating? If you haven't been paying attention, Sony saves their big hitters for what they call "Playstation Showcase." The State of Play presentations are for indies, AA games and for more in-depth coverage of previously announced games.

Did you check out the link I posted from Sony's own website? They haven't updated the State of Play presentations since 2020, so not even Sony gives a fuck about these things.

Nah, they don't give a fuck about MS acquisitions.

They will stick to their already existing previous plans, which pretty likely will be to make a February State of Play focusing on their main games for the upcoming stuff: Uncharted movie, Horizon 2, Sifu, GT7 plus some H1 2022 indie games and one or two random Asian games. And maybe Elder Ring and a reminder of the recent Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection and GoW PC releases.

So I expect to see many GOTY candidate material but no important game announcements other than some minor indie/Asian F2P game.

They are still supply constrained and games like Uncharted refurbished collection, Horizon 2, Sifu, Elder Ring or GT7 will be enough to keep the hype high these months. The xbox fans will geet a Crash Bandicoot twitter profile image and the PS fans Horizon 2 and GT7 instead.

Then, once they release these games and other top H1 game (they have Forspoken in late May), probaly in June (E3) they will announce and release Spartacus, to reveal the remaining PSVR2 stuff (headset, price, date, other launch window games other than Horizon VR) plus some H2 2022/early 2023 stuff as TLOU MP game/TLOU remake/TLOU 2 PS5/TLOU(maybe 1+2?) on PC.

Peeps, thank you for your input, but I cannot be swayed. Maybe I'm a dreamer, but I honestly believe this event will be fire.

yurinka

Is there anything else pointing to a SoP next week?
Zero. A few other supposed 'insiders'/'leakers' with zero credibility and zero previous leaks mentioned a PS event on February, months ago. But you can ignore them, like the one in the OP.

But if we apply common sense, when was the last SoP? Several months ago, maybe? And in the few next weeks they will release GOTY cantdate stuff with Horizon 2, Elder Ring or GT7 plus Sifu, and Forspoken a couple of months later. They are also about to release an Uncharted movie and the remastered collection, and the GoW PC port is being a huge success.

So yes, it would make sense to make a SoP to highlight all these things and highlight some indie.

Andodalf

Banned

This is a horrifying level of hopium. Just completely baseless speculation based off of what you hope will happen. you think they can put a show together in 2 weeks as a response? You think they can buy a pub in that time???? lamo

Last edited:

CamHostage

Right, State of Play isn't the "megaton" show (there's PlayStation Showcase, sometimes called "Future of PlayStation", for that.) They have good games in a SoP sometimes, but it's not where Sony unloads its biggest guns.... and it's always the show where the follow-up conversation is, "WTF, where were all the big guns?!", which is a problem of expectations that will never be solved.

(I think IDKFA is kidding? Mostly kidding? Hard to tell without really clear emojis... 🕴️)

Last edited:

IDKFA

This is a horrifying level of hopium. Just completely baseless speculation based off of what you hope will happen. you think they can put a show together in 2 weeks as a response? You think they can buy a pub in that time???? lamo

Right, State of Play isn't the "megaton" show (there's PlayStation Showcase, sometimes called "Future of PlayStation", for that.) They have good games in a SoP sometimes, but it's not where Sony unloads its biggest guns.... and it's always the show where the follow-up conversation is, "WTF, where were all the big guns?!", which is a problem of expectations that will never be solved.

(I think IDKFA is kidding? Hard to tell without really clear emojis... 🕴️)

Shoot a guy down for being optimistic......*smh*

Let me dream, okay?! If it turns out to be a 30 min stream of GT7 then that'll be fine, but let a man have hope.

From the blog,

The first 2022 State of Play arrives later this week, and we’re all revved up for just over 30 minutes of new PS5 footage and gameplay details for Gran Turismo 7.

Ok cool I legit haven’t played a GT game since A-Spec (I’m old). I’ll check this out. Maaan February has too much going on.

SilentUser

These so called insiders should be banned here, honestly. It is pretty clear they are just guessing all the time and pretending to be the real thing, they really know nothing :messenger_expressionless:. There was a time when everything Sony related leaked, but that's a long time ago. I can count on a single hand how many are insiders, and even them it isn't 100% reliable.

IDKFA

Think he is a low-key insider

Honestly, I said it would be fine, but I wasn't being serious because I didn't think Sony would really be dumb enough to give us a 30 min GT7 stream.

Maybe they saw my post and thought "fuck it. That'll do".

Top Bottom