• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 launches February 22, 2023, with pre-orders starting November 15 - $549.99

midnightAI

I was very underwhelmed by those trailers until....
Switchback VR

I loved Until Dawn: Rush of Blood and this looks like an awesome (spiritual) successor to it and this time controls that will actually behave.

I reckon Sony have withheld the big PS VR 2 games though for whenever they have a showcase/PS VR 2 specific State of Play.
Not too bothered about the price, anyone expecting much less was always going to be disappointed due to the hardware in the thing (I was hoping for around £450, this isnt that much above that).

Yep, okay. If playing VR games with a wire trailing down your back or side, that gets in the way, isn't an issue for you, then cool. I can't stand it though. Been playing wirelessly for long enough now to know how much of a pain the arse a wire can be, when you're immersed in a VR environment.
The way I see it is I'll be faced away from the TV/console so the wire will be behind me, so shouldn't be to much of a hindurance. I'll either be stood or sat down so I won't get tangled up with the cable trailing behind me.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
formation-blender-jb.gif

tommib

GHG GHG I think they understand their playerbase just fine. Look at the answers in this thread and it will prove you wrong:
You can add my registration to PlayStation direct for the pre-order to your quotation marathon. It costs exactly what I’ve been saying in the forums for awhile.

Can’t wait to see what Capcom will have ready for the Resident Evil 4 PSVR 2 content.

Expected it to cost more to be honest so don't think the price is too bad. Will most likely wait for a price drop though because nothing looking too compelling software wise yet.

FunkMiller

The way I see it is I'll be faced away from the TV/console so the wire will be behind me, so shouldn't be to much of a hindurance. I'll either be stood or sat down so I won't get tangled up with the cable trailing behind me.

You always end up whacking the cable. Always. It's impossible to keep it from getting in your way, unless you have a ceiling rig pulley system. It's fine for games where you either sit in one position (Resident Evil 7), or standing games where you don't move your feet (Beat Saber). But stuff like Alyx, Boneworks, or Onward? Different story.

FunkMiller

Someone is lying

Which is which?

I played through the whole game at 90hz, as my rig only allowed me to go up to that, but if you have a beast of a machine, 120hz wireless is more than doable.

Edit: and you didn't read the comments, did you?

Last edited:
You always end up whacking the cable. Always. It's impossible to keep it from getting in your way, unless you have a ceiling rig pulley system. It's fine for games where you either sit in one position (Resident Evil 7), or standing games where you don't move your feet (Beat Saber). But stuff like Alyx, Boneworks, or Onward? Different story.
I'll be alright with the cable. I'm more worried about assaulting one of my cats or my girlfriend because they've walked into my proximity area.

XnM5bh6.gif

GHG

I have two experiences with streaming, one with the Xcloud and the other with Shadow PC. Both worked great. I don’t think most give streaming a fair chance.

But in this case, wireless VR is what I’m “shilling” more for. I wonder if Sony ever thought to try to have their next VR headset stream video to the headset from the PS5.

Streaming games in your home across your own WiFi network vs streaming them from a remote PC across the Internet is a completely different proposition.

Miss me with "people don't give it a chance". Plenty of people do and for anyone who has standards, it's crap.

saintjules

Yeah, I registered for the pre-order but they didn’t ask for deposits. It will probably be a lottery. 💀

Yeah, same. If I miss out on it, I'll try the retail stores as a second chance, but I'm definitely not gonna wait on line for this.

aclar00

For this to do well Sony will likely have to:

1) Open it up to PC, even as just a pass-through device.

2) Free ports of top 25 PSVR 1 games

3) Show off more first party games - New VR playroom for instance, GT 7...Abandoned? lol

4) Pump-up secondary features such as theatre mode for games and video (bring back Hulu big couch), and VR controller compatibility with non-vr games. May even add spight 3d effects to non VR games.

Reasonable price but I already really tried to get into VR with Oculus CV1 and the first PSVR. I enjoyed them but ultimately haven't touched either for nearly 2 years now.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Streaming games in your home across your own WiFi network vs streaming them from a remote PC across the Internet is a completely different proposition.

Miss me with "people don't give it a chance". Plenty of people do and for anyone who has standards, it's crap.
To each their own. “Standards” are just lines in the sand that are different from person to person. I’m just glad things don’t bother me like they do others. If they did, I might be a poor man trying to stay happy with tech performances.

sncvsrtoip

For this to do well Sony will likely have to:

1) Open it up to PC, even as just a pass-through device.

2) Free ports of top 25 PSVR 1 games

3) Show off more first party games - New VR playroom for instance, GT 7...Abandoned? lol

4) Pump-up secondary features such as theatre mode for games and video (bring back Hulu big couch), and VR controller compatibility with non-vr games. May even add spight 3d effects to non VR games.
how opening to pc make theme do well when they probably dont earn on selling hw (eye tracking is rather expensive). We already see some free updates for psvr1 games (tough it depands on devs), agree with point 3 100%

CobraAB

I truly figured it would not top $499 and held out a shred of hope for $399/

But fuck, I will likely be there day one.

CS Lurker

I doubt sony is taking a loss with it. There's no SoC, cooling, RAM, storage, Wi-Fi, battery.

Actually I would be more inclined to believe they are making at least a small profit. Sony has so much experience manufacturing lenses (which are a costly component on VR HMDs), and they also have experience with screens (even oled), and I would imagine the 4 cameras on the HMD are made in-house. The controllers could be using components from the ps5's dualsense, making it cheaper.

Of course I could be wrong, but without a BoM it's just anyone's opinion in the end, so I'll stick with mine.

CobraAB

$950 less than th,e Meta headset. Yeah, it has its own processor and battery but it sounds like the battery life is crap.

Can’t wait for the reviews.

Goliath77

Wow i would love to be in day 1 like with psvr1 but £530? I know the tech is great but there only seems to be 1 or 2 great games on launch. Ive done Re8 platinum twice, played No Mans Sky multiple times in vr. I am sure the supermassive games title will be impressive, rush of blood is still amazing on psvr1 but im gonna need more big hitters and not just shooters to get me to bite this time.

Bartski

Gold Member
Odd move not to include a single true banger in this announcement, all 11 games presented are hot garbage. I don't believe this is the launch lineup, more like launch filler. Where the hell is Alyx?

Ozriel

M$FT
Man, I’ll put in that preorder, but that’s pricey. crazy optics to have it higher than the console price.
Surprised they didn’t pack in a relatively meaty game along with the hardware.

tommib

Odd move not to include a single true banger in this announcement, all 11 games presented are hot garbage. I don't believe this is the launch lineup, more like launch filler. Where the hell is Alyx?
If Village is available on day one that’s your true banger. I agree, a lot of shovelware.

By the way, knowing your tastes, you need to give a go to Thumper in VR. I hope they port it to VR2. Up there with RE7 as the best VR experience.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's not a bad price given the quality of the tech. At the same time it is more than twice what I paid for my quest 2 refurb, but if this is PC compatible I might be tempted to upgrade.
I have to believe that they are at least looking in to a wireless dongle of some sort, playing FPS with a wire is so frustrating.
Also that tentacles game looks fun, wish it was non-cartoony graphics though. The sense of scale in VR is amazing and can't be captured in a youtube video.

FunkMiller

I've said this in the other thread as well, but it'll be three years in March since Alyx launched. Nothing has come close to beating it yet. Nothing.

Where are the big, AAA, full length, single player VR games? Valve made one. Why can't anyone else?

tommib

I've said this in the other thread as well, but it'll be three years in March since Alyx launched. Nothing has come close to beating it yet. Nothing.

Where are the big, AAA, full length, single player VR games? Valve made one. Why can't anyone else?
I know that Alyx has all these amazing physics tricks but RE7 in VR was quite something. It’s the definitive edition of the game. And unbelievably frightening.

Top Bottom