• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

XXL

I'm completely cooled on it. Button press reload is fine for ports of old games to VR, but not a tactical shooter built from the ground up for VR. I also think the eye tracked weapon situation is a gimmick given we have holsters and can grab items and weapons from over our shoulder. I'm also not a fan of eye tracked grenades when we can just throw them.

I agree, button reloads suck.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Holy balls.

Village is so damn intense, lol. I definitely think RE7 was more scary in VR (so far at least) but man, I played Village for an hour just now and I am completely drained. No VR sickness or anything but the adrenaline from Lady D chasing me in the catacombs just has my body crashing. Gonna sleep like a baby tonight.

Also, I was playing Runner again and I understand how the game is meant to be played now. For $15 it is an absolute steal. Comes with the OST and some prologue anime thing, haven't checked that out. It's like Road Rash, the clown chase scene in Akira, and a shmup mixed into one.

Last edited:
This is how they are using EyeTracking in Firewall Ultra.
Animated GIF

Pretty cool how developers are using the unique tech PSVR2 offers. Guess eye tracking can offer a lot more than assisting foveated rendering.

been waiting for this! sucks it's launching one day before Zelda tho
Ya, honestly, may and June won’t see me doing much VR. End of April we get Star Wars, then zelda, D4, into FF. I definitely see VR games getting put to the wayside for a bit.

Zelda/D4 is will be easiest for me to play, because I’m a pilot and I take my Switch and gaming laptop with me everywhere. The important one I need to find time for is FF16, its the one im most excited about .

SilentUser

Another week another NMS update…
including
  • Introduced a significant memory optimisation for PSVR2.
  • Introduced a minor improvement to visual quality on PSVR2.
Hmm will check it out later today. Curious to see if I will be able to notice any difference. The game certainly needs (much) better IQ.

Minsc

Gold Member
Holy balls.

Village is so damn intense, lol. I definitely think RE7 was more scary in VR (so far at least) but man, I played Village for an hour just now and I am completely drained. No VR sickness or anything but the adrenaline from Lady D chasing me in the catacombs just has my body crashing. Gonna sleep like a baby tonight.

Also, I was playing Runner again and I understand how the game is meant to be played now. For $15 it is an absolute steal. Comes with the OST and some prologue anime thing, haven't checked that out. It's like Road Rash, the clown chase scene in Akira, and a shmup mixed into one.
I love reading the RE8 and other impressions! Glad it's working out well for you now, I'm working my way on to the 3rd lord now, of 4 then a final boss I presume. Game is so great, and even better all your items, weapon upgrades, money, food and more carry over, so you get to either do a revenge run and try to collect / upgrade everything that's left (as well as getting access to the special weapons), or try the extra-hard hardcore mode with crazier enemies etc. So the game really is good for 30 hours of gameplay or more if you want it!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm completely cooled on it. Button press reload is fine for ports of old games to VR, but not a tactical shooter built from the ground up for VR. I also think the eye tracked weapon situation is a gimmick given we have holsters and can grab items and weapons from over our shoulder. I'm also not a fan of eye tracked grenades when we can just throw them.

I agree, button reloads suck.

Button reloads are necessary if you want to sell VR games to many people. It'd be best if they gave people a choice though.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I love reading the RE8 and other impressions! Glad it's working out well for you now, I'm working my way on to the 3rd lord now, of 4 then a final boss I presume. Game is so great, and even better all your items, weapon upgrades, money, food and more carry over, so you get to either do a revenge run and try to collect / upgrade everything that's left (as well as getting access to the special weapons), or try the extra-hard hardcore mode with crazier enemies etc. So the game really is good for 30 hours of gameplay or more if you want it!
Absolutely. Is this your first time playing it? I played through it twice but have done the first 3rd of the game probably 5 or so times. It's my favorite modern RE, I just love the pacing, combat, etc. Brilliant game.

Playing it in VR completely green would be so intense, I can't imagine, lol. Lady D had me so shook and I wasn't even scared cause I can easily avoid her. VR just causes that adrenaline rush regardless, my legs and hands were shaking and shit, lol.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Absolutely. Is this your first time playing it? I played through it twice but have done the first 3rd of the game probably 5 or so times. It's my favorite modern RE, I just love the pacing, combat, etc. Brilliant game.

Playing it in VR completely green would be so intense, I can't imagine, lol. Lady D had me so shook and I wasn't even scared cause I can easily avoid her. VR just causes that adrenaline rush regardless, my legs and hands were shaking and shit, lol.
Yeah, my first run through! Taking my time and it's going to be one of the best gaming experiences ever for me. Some parts are just too much for my scared self to hand so I need to stop and try again, or eventually get over it by seeing what's coming, but it was only really bad at first and at lights out for House B.

Last edited by a moderator:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yeah, my first run through! Taking my time and it's going to be one of the best gaming experiences ever for me. Some parts are just too much for my scared self to hand so I need to stop and try again, or eventually get over it by seeing what's coming, but it was only really bad at first and at lights out for House B.
Holy shit man, lmao. Good on you, what an amazing (terrifying) experience.

SilentUser

I'm playing Village for the first time ever and in VR, I decided to wait for the supposed PSVR2 version and I think it paid off! I really adore playing this game, it is so polished and well done. And like Minsc Minsc , sometimes I do have to stop playing it because I got too nervous lol it is impressive!

Crayon

I don't see anything wrong with the points on firewall. Even the reprojection is the tradeoff for better graphics. There's already a game called pavlov and it's great. I don't mind firewall being as different as it can.

Holy balls.

I've been wanting to try runner. While I did buy a bunch of games in my launch frenzy but I resisted starting them all up at once.

drezz

Press a button to reload is a huge bummer in Firewall Ultra.
If it was optional I'd be fine with it, but the balance there would be hard to get just right.
If I can reload faster then the canned reload animation, I'd be shitting on everyone that had the button press.

Breachers is doing a locked reload timer when reloading; where it doesnt matter if you have chambered a round and "are ready" real fast, there is still a SET TIMER / COUNTDOWN going and needs to end before you can fire.
So you know if you have time or not too push the enemy that just spent his mag before ducking away.
Firewall Ultra Could do that in combination with the optional reload.
Granted... it would be just as annyoing as it is in Breachers... where you have done the deed and have to wait for a CLOCK too finish, and hearing people pushing you.

Eyetracking for changing gadget, grenades, secondary,etc sounds annoying and unnecessary in Firewall Ultra. Just making a gimmick out of the eyetracking imo.
Let me pull out my SIDEarm from my SIDE, rather looking "Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A and Start" For my stuff, Please!
Closing my left eye to have the weapon sight come even closer to my face sounds... Okay if it was a sniper rifle(For the rendering sake), but it turning into a laser eyes sight..? Im not sure, it will be a one of a kind and I'll have too try it / see it in action first.

Having aim assist with throwing grenades will make grenades much more leathal then they are in VR as of right now.
But looking one place and pressing a THROW BUTTON in Firewall Ultra is just as a huge bummer for me as the reload bit is.
Beeing good at tossing grenades in VR takes practice, trail and error with suicide and team killing... but SOOO satisfying getting good at it. But because of it, we dont see so much nade spam(Which is a good thing).
Again... It's a one of a kind and a first(in VR with Eyetracking) so I'll not dunk on it too hard, we will see how it plays.

It got more and more against it since I first reveal imo, and depending on the actuall price of the game and how they'll manage DLC(No payed DLC maps, please!) will be another huge factor in its success.
Which is very sad, I was hyped as hell for this game...

Pavlov seems like it will continue to be King of PSVR2 shooters.
Patch soon for increasing playercount,Push game mode(Think Battlefied Bad Company push) and crossplay will probably sement it even more.

SilentUser

I'm about halfway through the first game. Such a beautiful relaxing experience.
If I ever spot a mouse in my apartment I'm gonna forge it a tiny sword 😃
Nice one lol won't take long before I buy it, very curious to play this charming game.
So iI tried NMS after the lastest patch. Honestly, nothing noticeable in terms of IQ changed, in my opinion.

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
I think there are many factors at play. The latest patch for me is nowhere near as good as this. Areas in the near to middle distance are devoid of detail until I get right up close.

This nearly killed me playing at night on TV. If the VR is convincing at all, I might literally die having a first experience of that place with a headset.
Shit is intense, believe me. I was terrified, but it was absolutely amazing at the same time. I was happy the section wasn't too long - just long enough! Definitely one of the most intense and memorable gaming experiences I've had. Truly physical.

Hearing your breathing and the music intensifying subtly in the 3D pulse headset, together with the vibrations in the headset.. Yeah it sets the mood.

Last edited:

SilentUser

A PSVR2 SoP would be nice. Even better, a big, juicy PSVR2 segment on the next supposed PlayStation showcase would be ace. Sony has been so silent the last few years abour everything, hopefully this means they also have great things coming for the PSVR2. I need moar (like I have free time to play anything lol)

fart town usa

Gold Member
I played Village for like 7 hours yesterday. Pretty much two 3.5 hour chunks

It's so good, and no motion sickness! It's insane, I expected a little here and there but nope, just steady gaming.

Mill Mini-Boss in Village. Probably the most intense thing in the game I've experienced so far. May not look like it but that dude was moving fast and the 3D audio, dude sounded like he was right behind me. Truly panic inducing and trying to manually reload :messenger_grinning_sweat:. You can see the shotgun shaking wildly cause of my trembling hands.

I feel like we gotta do our part to get footage out there. Haters already being negative about stuff and it's 2 months old. Gotta showcase the experience that it provides cause it really is unlike anything else. PSVR2 is ballin' outta control.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Anyone else notice that the PS5 captures/streams incredibly dark gameplay footage? I'm trying to figure out how to adjust it cause streaming PSVR2 and going back and watching it, the footage is basically unwatchable because it's so damn dark. The clip I posted up above, I had to put some filter on it in the PS5 editing software to make it so you could see what in the world was actually happening.

The TV I'm hooked up to now doesn't have HDR but I'm gonna hook it up to the one that does and adjust the HDR settings and then capture some footage to see if it changes anything.

On a somewhat related note, I feel like it's the same thing, with RE4make preview footage looking waaaaaaaaaaaay too dark. It's bizarre but if anyone knows a way to brighten it up, please let me know. Really want to present this in the best way possible, even if nobody is watching, lol.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Anyone else notice that the PS5 captures/streams incredibly dark gameplay footage? I'm trying to figure out how to adjust it cause streaming PSVR2 and going back and watching it, the footage is basically unwatchable because it's so damn dark. The clip I posted up above, I had to put some filter on it in the PS5 editing software to make it so you could see what in the world was actually happening.

The TV I'm hooked up to now doesn't have HDR but I'm gonna hook it up to the one that does and adjust the HDR settings and then capture some footage to see if it changes anything.

On a somewhat related note, I feel like it's the same thing, with RE4make preview footage looking waaaaaaaaaaaay too dark. It's bizarre but if anyone knows a way to brighten it up, please let me know. Really want to present this in the best way possible, even if nobody is watching, lol.
Not sure why your recordings looks weird. I don't generally record using the PS5 itself, but an Elgato instead and the footage through that looks normal.

I might record some using the PS5 tonight to see if I notice anything.

Are your Color Range settings messed up? Although I would that that wouldn't affect the PS5 footage itself, but maybe how it's viewed on the TV or monitor.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Not sure why your recordings looks weird. I don't generally record using the PS5 itself, but an Elgato instead and the footage through that looks normal.

I might record some using the PS5 tonight to see if I notice anything.
I figured it out just now. It's the HDR settings within the PS5. I actually had it adjusted in a wonky way cause my OLED is already bright enough, so when following the on screen prompts, the image was super washed out on my TV. I adjusted it a bit and then went and checked some PS5 captured footage, it looks much better now.

However, this leaves me wondering what PSVR2 owners can do if they don't own a HDR capable TV? The HDR adjust settings within the PS5 can't be adjusted on a non-HDR TV (obviously) and they can't be adjusted within the headset itself (unless I'm wrong but the option is greyed out).

I have elgato too but it's so much easier to capture commentary with the PSVR2 mic. I have a blue yeti mic but standing up and playing Village, commentary sounds terrible. It's tough to stream VR, can't monitor shit in elgato/OBS, lol.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I figured it out just now. It's the HDR settings within the PS5. I actually had it adjusted in a wonky way cause my OLED is already bright enough, so when following the on screen prompts, the image was super washed out on my TV but it made it crazy dark for captures/streaming in VR. I adjusted it a bit and then went and checked some PS5 captured footage, it looks much better.

However, this leaves me wondering what PSVR2 owners can do if they don't own a HDR capable TV? The HDR adjust settings within the PS5 can't be adjusted on a non-HDR TV (obviously) and they can't be adjusted within the headset itself (unless I'm wrong but the option is greyed out).

I have elgato too but it's so much easier to capture commentary with the PSVR2 mic. I have a blue yeti mic but standing up and playing Village, commentary sounds terrible. It's tough to stream VR, can't monitor shit in elgato/OBS, lol.
Yeah HDR settings can get wonky sometimes. I actually just turn HDR off most of the time.

As for recording commentary while playing VR, the best option is either those recording devices with a mic clipped to your shirt or a standalone "attachment" mic like a ModMic.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yeah HDR settings can get wonky sometimes. I actually just turn HDR off most of the time.

As for recording commentary while playing VR, the best option is either those recording devices with a mic clipped to your shirt or a standalone "attachment" mic like a ModMic.
Absolutely, I need to invest in a lavalier mic at some point, especially for VR streams. If I do use elgato/obs for VR, I make myself transparent for the most part so people can at least see what I'm doing but it also blends in with the game.

HDR is wonky indeed, I'm still not completely sold on HDR but my pal Kuranghi Kuranghi clued me into why it looked so washed out and his recommendation with the settings resolved it completely. Dude is the TV guru.

Crayon

I stopped messing with hdr on my tv. It's one of those cheap tcl ones. I have to mess with the settings forever to get one game looking good, and then it's probabaly not a good setting for the next game. Not only that, but it never looks anywhere near as good as a nice tv's hdr so it's not worth it.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I stopped messing with hdr on my tv. It's one of those cheap tcl ones. I have to mess with the settings forever to get one game looking good, and then it's probabaly not a good setting for the next game. Not only that, but it never looks anywhere near as good as a nice tv's hdr so it's not worth it.
Which TCL do you have? I have a R365 and it has good HDR overall. Just so many games implement it horribly so I get tired of messing with settings. For the price I paid, this thing has been fantastic.

Minsc

Gold Member
I guess I'm lucky - I always feel like everything looks perfect to me on my HDTV - Samsung Q90T. It took a while to get it how I wanted, but what worked best for me was to take a half dozen movies I'm very familiar with (both animated and live action, and both in 4k HDR and regular HD), then calibrate both the HD settings and HDR settings until all the movies looked absolutely perfect to me, this was getting the black to where I wanted and I could still see details, getting the greens to pop and look like a nice green, while still keeping all the skin tones not looking like glowing pumpkins and all the blues and reds and everything else to be right too. Sometimes I'd think I had it all figured out then I flip one of the sources over to the preset Vivid or other mode and certain things would look way better (but others way worse), so I kept tweaking my profiles until everything was perfect. Now I know it's done, and never have to think about it again until I get a new TV lol.

consoul

Anyone else notice that the PS5 captures/streams incredibly dark gameplay footage? I'm trying to figure out how to adjust it cause streaming PSVR2 and going back and watching it, the footage is basically unwatchable because it's so damn dark.
Yeah, I find this to be an issue on all PS5 content (VR or not) if HDR is on. If I know I'll be recording, I turn the in-game brightness up and HDR off.

fart town usa

Gold Member
That Afterlife VR game releases tomorrow. Only $15. Sounds/looks low budget but I'm a sucker for horror. I'll be getting it and will post some thoughts once I get around to playing it. Gotta finish Village first.

scydrex

Finished S&S 1 awesome game. Playing the dlc now. The only thing didn't like was the assault rifle you get it by the end basically. RE8 was awewome in vr too. Now will go for S&S 2 maybe after Horizon dlc. Also will continue to play more GT7.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It is only 2 hour long and feels quite cheap tbh.
Psvr without parole did a review:

And that guy is a huge VR horror fan.

Yea, I watched that last night. 2 hours is a bummer but could be fun to stream and get some cheap jump scares and laughs. $15 is the sweet spot for me. $20 is a maybe and anything higher that's low-tier indie gives me major pause.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Damn, we lost again against the boss of Book V in Demeo :/ oh well, I guess I'll have to play more another day 😎
I heard the only way to get XP is to actually finish the campaign. Any comment on that? I'm sure I'd love Demeo but the thought of grinding for hours and not getting anything for it gives me major pause.

Macaron

Banned
Button press reload in a VR shooter......

Incredibly disappointing news for Firewall. Hopefully the game is as good as the first to make up for that when thats a HUGE mistake imo.

PanzerCute

I heard the only way to get XP is to actually finish the campaign. Any comment on that? I'm sure I'd love Demeo but the thought of grinding for hours and not getting anything for it gives me major pause.
Nah you get XP after every floor you complete. 150xp for the first floor, 350 for the second one and 500 for the boss.

Note also that xp is only used to unlock cosmetics.

Top Bottom