• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Surfheart

For giggles I dusted off my PSVR1 and checked out No mans sky and apart from being able to see the pixel structure of the panel vs the PSVR2, surprisingly the game itself looks very similar to the PSVR2 version image quality wise and that was super dissapointing.

Crayon

For giggles I dusted off my PSVR1 and checked out No mans sky and apart from being able to see the pixel structure of the panel vs the PSVR2, surprisingly the game itself looks very similar to the PSVR2 version image quality wise and that was super dissapointing.

Yep it's not terribly far off.

im-not-even-mad-thats-amazing.gif

So, I heard that there is a small VR community outta there. You can add

Dj Khaled Mtv Emas GIF by 2020 MTV EMA

I'm in at last :messenger_bicep: First VR headset in +30 years of gaming ! The controllers, delivered with empty batteries, are currently charging on the PSVR2 stand. Thanks Sony, :pie_roffles: !

Like many other people, GT7 is the killer game for me.
Before purchasing the PSVR2, l had clocked more than 100 hours into the game with Gyro driving. Next week, a Next Level Racing Wheel Stand 2 and a Logitech Pro Racing wheel + pedals will push the fun and immersion further than ever before. It is also going to be my first stand+wheel+pedals ever. This is going to completely reset my relationship with racing games and GT7 especially.

Many other games such as RE8, the Walking Dead games, Horizon COTM, and more, are now in the VR backlog.

I have always been interested in home VR gaming. Several years ago, I took interested looks at “high end” PCVR (Valve Index, Pixmax headsets, etc…) but in the end never committed.

Sony and third party studios have built a nice package with the PSVR2:
- tech (Oled, high res, inside out tracking, ETFR),
- excellent and immersive VR games with good visuals,
- average price, with included advanced wireless controllers,
For a happy PS5 owner, it’s an attractive package.

Have fun you all !

PanzerCute

Funny that you are talking about Puzzling Places, I just went back to the game with the lady and we bought the "high walls" DLC that I absolutely recommend.

Its only 4 puzzles but they are all beautiful and quite large, and Im a sucker for castles anyway. We checked other packs but they all seem to have a few "fillers", like who wants to do a puzzle with a damn tractor?

We just started trying 100+ pièces, and they are actually not that hard and way more satysfying.

Brilliant game.

Minsc

Gold Member
Funny that you are talking about Puzzling Places, I just went back to the game with the lady and we bought the "high walls" DLC that I absolutely recommend.

Its only 4 puzzles but they are all beautiful and quite large, and Im a sucker for castles anyway. We checked other packs but they all seem to have a few "fillers", like who wants to do a puzzle with a damn tractor?

We just started trying 100+ pièces, and they are actually not that hard and way more satysfying.

Brilliant game.
Yup, definitely get it if you're a fan of puzzle-type games like Picross etc. The sounds in each level really are fun because they're usually total surprises. The Halloween level in the base pack was great too!

I did the 400 piece one or whatever the max was in the demo, and the strategy is totally different because they're on multiple pages, plus much more abstract so it feels a lot more traditional jigsaw puzzle like.

There's also the large puzzle piece "simple" modes for a lot of puzzles, which are pretty fun, they're like a 400 or whatever piece puzzle, but you're handed sets of 25 pieces that all connect - so you go through and do 8 or 16 25-piece puzzles individually then combine them at the end. It's kinda like mega-picross or whatever where the image is split in to a 16 sections/puzzles that form the full image, but are done individually.

Edit: The best thing is the game tracks completion separately for each puzzle's # of pieces, so each stage offers 5+ different experiences and is tracked for completion separately on 25, 50, 100, 200, 200 (simple), 400, 400 (simple), 1,000 and so on. So clearing each level on every number of pieces offers 100s of hours of gameplay I'd imagine, easily with the DLC.

Last edited:

SilentUser

I'm in at last :messenger_bicep: First VR headset in +30 years of gaming ! The controllers, delivered with empty batteries, are currently charging on the PSVR2 stand. Thanks Sony, :pie_roffles: !

Before purchasing the PSVR2, l had clocked more than 100 hours into the game with Gyro driving. Next week, a Next Level Racing Wheel Stand 2 and a Logitech Pro Racing wheel + pedals will push the fun and immersion further than ever before. It is also going to be my first stand+wheel+pedals ever. This is going to completely reset my relationship with racing games and GT7 especially.

Many other games such as RE8, the Walking Dead games, Horizon COTM, and more, are now in the VR backlog.

I have always been interested in home VR gaming. Several years ago, I took interested looks at “high end” PCVR (Valve Index, Pixmax headsets, etc…) but in the end never committed.

Have fun you all !
This is so cool, welcome to the community! PSVR2 is my first VR headset in also 30+ years of gaming :) and I'm loving it. Does it have shortcomings? Oh yeah, for sure, but they are few and far between, plus they actually do not bother me anymore. I simply love the experience and I'm likely going to be first and foremost VR player for the rest of my life 😅 I just hope Sony won't drop supporting it like they did before with other accessories. I do have faith that this isn't going to happen since they are considering it a slow burner, so it might mean they will support it for a long time in order to have a nice mindshare when it comes to VR and its future (which I think it is bright).

Minsc

Gold Member

Have fun you all !
When you do get ready to move on, RE8 is up there with the most impressive VR experiences to date, just set your expectations and remember these few things:
-It's still a flat game at it's core, so 99% of the objects you can look at but can't touch. Anything you can will be marked with a white circle as you approach or yellow tape or just be obvious (like a ornate vase on the floor etc). The Goats give rewards as you collect them.
-The map is your best friend. Grab it and hit L2 (or L1) to make it full screen. Hold one of the L or R buttons to scroll it around and read what the icons are by centering them on the cross hairs. Red rooms have something left to find/do, and blue rooms are done.
-The knife can be thrown and 99% of the things you do with a bullet you can do with a knife instead (break things, throw at targets/gems in the ceiling/kill animals/etc)

With those things in mind, you can really just enjoy being in constant awe of the crazy amount of detail. And stuff doesn't get going / open up until you make it inside the castle. The first hour or 2 is just a bunch of staged fights and cutscenes.

Surfheart

Have fun you all !

Enjoy the ride, you feasting!

gunstarhero

Me neither, not sure it is my type of game. Here is a review I found on Youtube, maybe it will help you:

i actually picked it up today.

The default controls have you holding down one of the face buttons on each stick and alternating swings using your arms …TO MOVE YOUR CHARACTER! What in the actual fuck lol.

I quickly made a bee line for the options (which are found only after you complete the tutorial with those asinine controls), and selected the character movement controls that use the analog sticks. MUCH BETTER. Turning your character can be done with the right analog, but it forces blinders on you (like C-Smash does, but much more pronounced). Minor complaint.

The game itself is really fun - in a janky dumb fun sort of way. It’s hilarious when you’re fighting off several attackers with a axe in one hand and hammer in the other. Everything is animated like it’s made of rubber, and it’s clear the game doesn’t take itself seriously. I made it to the segment where they teach you the bow and arrow, which seems EXTRA janky, and gave it a rest there.

One major complaint though: the sound is completely busted. Lots of attacks and background elements (like the dude hitting the gong) make NO sound at all. The rest of the sound is super low, and there’s no music whatsoever. The sound design is so bad I was convinced it was a bug, but seems like others have the same issue.

For $20, it’s fun - but the sound issues really take it down a few notches. Hopefully they fix it…unless that’s how it’s always been, in which case - it sucks.

Last edited:

scydrex

No man’s sky vr is the biggest disappointment I’ve tried for sure. That resolution is like rubbing Vaseline in my eyes,
I want to try NMS but still i read it isn't there. It's in $30 until this Thursday but i think is better to spend $20 for the Horizon FW dlc coming out the 19th. Also still haven't brought Moss 1&2 yet. Also still have to finish S&S. Finished RE8.

Nice, thanks for sharing. I want more Sony games, including PSVR1 titles (Astro, Wipeout, Rush of Blood), revival of dormant IPs (Killzone, Resistance, MotorStorm) and many, many more titles, hybrid or pure VR. Come on, Sony!
I hope to play the psvr1 best games. Want to play Astrobot. Also hear great things about Rush of Blood. This is my first vr after all. Still dreaming of having Alyx on psvr2.

R6Rider

Gold Member
So over the long weekend I let my family members try some PSVR2 titles.

Brother, Brother in law, my dad, and my nephew all loved playing GT7. They actually adapted pretty quickly and all of them played using a racing wheel setup. None of them had any nausea, which surprised me.

Only my brother and brother in law have tried Pavlov so far (just the shooting range). Just messed around for a bit and they both though it was awesome, especially the adaptive triggers. Since it was just the range, they didn't move around a whole lot, but mentioned a little motion sickness when moving more.

Didn't have time to let them try Kayak VR, so that's on the plans for next time. They all wanted me to bring it back next time.

Guess I need to get a proper travel case for it :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Minsc

Gold Member
So I was looking around a little at PC VR sets:
Quest 2: Old now, wait for Quest 3
Quest 3: Lens not as good as Pro, and other sacrifices compared to Pro.
Quest Pro: Wireless only, need to deal with WiFi and video compression.
Index: Needs extra hardware and PC and maybe replaced by Deckard in 1-2 years.
Deckard: 1-2 years out, maybe more. Could be worth it!
Pica 4: Had issues, can't remember.
G2: Had issues, can't remember.
Bigscreen: Bad FOV.
Pixmax Crystal: Low FOV for Pixmax's, and Pixmax support is terrible.

Like every set has issues. It's kinda nice even if the PS VR2 is far from perfect, at least it has the ease of use going for it, looks great in game (sucks for certain things though, the mura is there and can't read from the edges, but generally speaking in game none of that matter much) and having a cable and running off the PS5 is really great, plus it'll get improved hardware performance with the PS5 Pro or PS6. And the controllers are really really great! The hardware as a whole when compared to the PC space seems really matured, especially for the price range, as many sets above are double or more.

scydrex

Like every set has issues. It's kinda nice even if the PS VR2 is far from perfect, at least it has the ease of use going for it, looks great in game (sucks for certain things though, the mura is there and can't read from the edges, but generally speaking in game none of that matter much) and having a cable and running off the PS5 is really great, plus it'll get improved hardware performance with the PS5 Pro or PS6. And the controllers are really really great! The hardware as a whole when compared to the PC space seems really matured, especially for the price range, as many sets above are double or more.
If Sony release a PS5 Pro will buy it asap! GT7 with at least native 90hz should be perfection. At least that will drop the need for double frames or image in AAA or hybrid games. If it not possible then at least higher res and all games should be worth it. The mura will still be there but i don't care about it also this is my first vr si it helps with that. If not then will be happy with a ps5 slim.

Yeah I haven't found any PC headset that appeals to me. The only ones that seem to match (or surpass) the PSVR2 experience are extremely expensive and often have serious drawbacks. Or have I missed anything obvious?

Crayon

I want a pc headset but I have to wait till this psvr2 is looking more long in the tooth. vr2 is cutting edge atm so I can't see buying anything else for that kind of money unless it's a realy upgrade. Besides alyx, what I want on pc are the vr mods. Otherwise, there ain't much going on there at the moment. There's also the matter of convenvience because I'd be mostly dualbooting till valve gets steam vr up to snuff on linux. I don't even have a vm set up let alone a dual boot for a long time now because I don't need it.

Here's to Deckard! If it's the kind of deal steam deck is and it's got a full two years of advancements then that will be the shit. I still expect the psvr to have a better flow of big retail releases than pc, though.

SilentUser

PS VR 2 Games*

US/CanadaEU
PavlovPavlov
The Dark Pictures: SwitchbackKayak VR: Mirage
Kayak VR: MirageThe Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners – Chapter 2: Retribution
The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners – Chapter 2: RetributionStar Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge
Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s EdgeDrums Rock
PISTOL WHIPPISTOL WHIP
Horizon Call of the MountainSynth Riders
Swordsman VRSwordsman VR
Drums RockHorizon Call of the Mountain
Job SimulatorJob Simulator

You guys disappoint me: go buy DEMEO asap! :p

Autofokus

PS VR 2 Games*

US/CanadaEU
PavlovPavlov
The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners – Chapter 2: RetributionStar Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge
PISTOL WHIPPISTOL WHIP
Swordsman VRSwordsman VR

Hybrids like Demeo, GT7 etc. aren't listed.

Minsc

Gold Member
Hybrids like Demeo, GT7 etc. aren't listed.
Yup a more accurate list is just going to the PS Store (on the PS5 itself or the smartphone app), filter by PS VR2, then it'll show everything in order of best selling. GT7 is usually first and RE8 is normally in the top 3/5 depending on sales etc. NMS was 2nd for the last couple weeks. That said, I'm sure he's not wrong in the fact that more people (myself included) should be buying Demeo based on what everyone is saying, it's something special.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

Gold Member

PS VR 2 Games*

US/CanadaEU
PavlovPavlov
PISTOL WHIPPISTOL WHIP
Swordsman VRSwordsman VR

Happy for switchback success, everybody that tried it at my house loved it. Now if they could release the IQ patch...

Markio128

Gold Member
It’s not very often that I’ll laugh out loud whilst playing a video-game these days, but GT7 brought a laugh out of me today. I took a stock Toyota MR2 out for a drive on the Nurb and it was stupid fun. There were a few corners where I almost lost control, but managed to counter steer my way out of trouble 3 times on the trot and it felt fucking amazing in VR.

PanzerCute

It’s not very often that I’ll laugh out loud whilst playing a video-game these days, but GT7 brought a laugh out of me today. I took a stock Toyota MR2 out for a drive on the Nurb and it was stupid fun. There were a few corners where I almost lost control, but managed to counter steer my way out of trouble 3 times on the trot and it felt fucking amazing in VR.
If you have not tried this yet: buy a go-kart and play Nurburgring at night.

This is stupidly fun and immersive.

Markio128

Gold Member
If you have not tried this yet: buy a go-kart and play Nurburgring at night.

This is stupidly fun and immersive.
I do own a kart and I’ve tried it on the high speed ring - as has my daughter who loves the kart in VR. I bet it is fun to use a kart on the Nurb. Not sure about a night race though!

I tell you what track is cool at night - Mount Panorama.

Last edited:
Congrats and welcome to the PSVR2 community ☺️ please share your impressions with us later
So far I know it's going to be tricky to find a proper area to play in. I was really suprised at how restrictive the play area is. Much more used to PSVR where it's like basically a free for all (for better or worse).

In other words, I need to do some cleaning and organizing, lol. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Markio128

Gold Member
So far I know it's going to be tricky to find a proper area to play in. I was really suprised at how restrictive the play area is. Much more used to PSVR where it's like basically a free for all (for better or worse).

In other words, I need to do some cleaning and organizing, lol. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I don’t have enough room for 2mx2m gameplay, but standing and sitting in VR has worked really well. You just need to set a temporary space each time you change, which is the only slight irritant.

I don’t have enough room for 2mx2m gameplay, but standing and sitting in VR has worked really well. You just need to set a temporary space each time you change, which is the only slight irritant.
Yea, and that's the thing, tried to play Village in VR in sitting mode, options were all set to sitting but the box was so restrictive I couldn't even reach out to interact with anything. Probably just need to adjust some things. Kinda in a rush but I'm gonna dedicate some time to it here in a minute now that the day is winding down and the dogs have been walked.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yea, and that's the thing, tried to play Village in VR in sitting mode, options were all set to sitting but the box was so restrictive I couldn't even reach out to interact with anything. Probably just need to adjust some things. Kinda in a rush but I'm gonna dedicate some time to it here in a minute now that the day is winding down and the dogs have been walked.

I've only played RE8 VR standing, and I think any game with a holster / body inventory probably will give a better impression that way - but if you're played others sitting you might be more used it to.

Regardless, I'd highly recommend finding some sort of mat to stand on, a circular VR mat or just any foam mat so you have a sense of position with the set on - then go ahead and zap your entire room as live area. Couches, tables everything through the walls. Then you never need to see the dumb warnings ever again, and as long as you know you're standing on the mat you have nothing to worry about, or if you want to play seated, sit down and you don't have to change a thing, because you're still within the entire room-sized zone. That's how I have mine setup.

But yeah, RE8 is better standing (and analog movement with no vignetting/tunnelling once you get to that point), you don't need to walk at all, just have nothing in the reach of your arms from any direction.

Last edited:
I've only played RE8 VR standing, and I think any game with a holster / body inventory probably will give a better impression that way - but if you're played others sitting you might be more used it to.

Regardless, I'd highly recommend finding some sort of mat to stand on, a circular VR mat or just any foam mat so you have a sense of position with the set on - then go ahead and zap your entire room as live area. Couches, tables everything through the walls. Then you never need to see the dumb warnings ever again, and as long as you know you're standing on the mat you have nothing to worry about, or if you want to play seated, sit down and you don't have to change a thing, because you're still within the entire room-sized zone. That's how I have mine setup.

But yeah, RE8 is better standing (and analog movement with no vignetting/tunnelling once you get to that point), you don't need to walk at all, just have nothing in the reach of your arms from any direction.
Good call on the body inventory aspect. I'm used to RE7 which isn't interactive at all in VR so I didn't take the holster and stuff into account. Standing it shall be then.

Minsc

Gold Member
Edit: old

About the automatic seated zone - I don't find it works well, even using GT7 when I lean forward sometimes it brings up the zone warnings - so that's why I just stick with an oversized grid.

Good call on the body inventory aspect. I'm used to RE7 which isn't interactive at all in VR so I didn't take the holster and stuff into account. Standing it shall be then.
I don't know if you've been following the RE8 VR tips - but two important ones are the fullscreen map (not just the handheld map - the fullscreen one gives you ability to read icons and move to see different floors etc), and you can throw the knifes to break stuff and attack (but very little damage). Be prepared to watch / enjoy a bunch of cutscenes in the first hour or two as well, but once you get inside the castle the game really begins there.

Also for tracking you may need to have the TV off or use the alternate tracking mode, and it's better with lights on - basically when you use the pass through if you see a lot of what looks like ISO noise you probably don't have enough light, but you'll know soon enough if there's tracking issues - I have absolutely none and it's a blast across all the different games.

Last edited:

ABnormal

About the automatic seated zone - I don't find it works well, even using GT7 when I lean forward sometimes it brings up the zone warnings - so that's why I just stick with an oversized grid.
Yeah, it's too small. I would like to have some bigger seated spaces, or the possibility to tweak the seated zone as the standing zone. That because if I use the wider standing zone and then I sat down, the perspective in game would became a dwarf's one. they have just to add the option in some next firmware update.
I always play seated because it's relaxing (especially for long sessions) and I feel more grounded when moving in game (when standing, even a little wobble with my real body will make me feel uncomfortable with the in game movement).

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Yea, and that's the thing, tried to play Village in VR in sitting mode, options were all set to sitting but the box was so restrictive I couldn't even reach out to interact with anything.
At first I tried RE8 and Moss sitting on my couch but it's just not feasable.
My hands would have to go through my couch cushions to reach the holsters or other interacts.
Now I just use a simple chair and both my holsters are "floating" to my left & right and easy to reach.

The only game I can play like a lazy bastard on the couch is GT7 😁

I don't know if you've been following the RE8 VR tips - but two important ones are the fullscreen map (not just the handheld map - the fullscreen one gives you ability to read icons and move to see different floors etc), and you can throw the knifes to break stuff and attack (but very little damage). Be prepared to watch / enjoy a bunch of cutscenes in the first hour or two as well, but once you get inside the castle the game really begins there.

Also for tracking you may need to have the TV off or use the alternate tracking mode, and it's better with lights on - basically when you use the pass through if you see a lot of what looks like ISO noise you probably don't have enough light, but you'll know soon enough if there's tracking issues - I have absolutely none and it's a blast across all the different games.
Nice, appreciate the tips.

I'm in the foyer of Luiza's house right now. Fighting the 3 werewolves outside was pretty dope. Starting to get the feel for reloading and stuff. I've played through Village a few times, stoked to check out the castle dungeon.

SilentUser

Take your time and soon you will have it ready to make it truly shine. It took me a few days to fully grasp the area to play in, but now everything simply works flawlessly and I never touched again the play area configuration.
I play with my TV and PS5 behind me when standing up, so the couch is just in front of me. I designed the area to ignore the couch (since I never walk irl while playing), making the play area pretty big and with nothing in front of me that I could destroy. It is just perfect.
Also, agreed with everything Minsc Minsc said. I also play Village standing up, as I mostly mimic what it would be IRL. Same for The Light Brigade and Saint & Sinners. I play Demeo (remains my strongest candidate to my personal GOTY, I simply adore it!) and Puzzling Places seated.

Crayon

RE8 has a seated setting that makes it easier to get to your inventory. I think it does, anyway. I only tried it once.

Top Bottom