• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game Online |OT| Everything You've Ever Dreamed

Holy crap, thanks for that link! :eek:

Heh. I'm not worried, just jokingly "=/." I thought I escaped the TCG for good in my youth, dammit! Haha. I bought my starter deck proudly.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
So I now know how to play Pokemon cards. Thanks guys. Never thought that when I was almost 30 would be the day I would learn how to play Pokemon cards.

styl3s

Pokemon can add a fucking deck builder but not MTG? F U wizards im not spending hundreds and possibly thousands collecting and building decks on your outdated MTGO.

can't wait to see the full version of this.

xSL4INx

dragonlife29 said:
How in the hell do they compensate? WTF? Abilities/Trainers, etc?

Being a competitive player in the TCG right now, yeah, it's uncommon for a deck to run more than around 12 energy cards. The highest energy count for top tier competitive deck right now is 15, and that's Charizard.

I play a Gyarados and it runs a grand total of 4 energies.

It's all draw power, trainers, supporters and the such.

i'm sure this has been said many times in this thread, but..

how the fuck has Nintendo failed to capitalize on this and other ideas in their market?

like, fuck.. i shouldn't have to play a web game in order to play PTCG with people over the internet.. that shit is a given.

they have such a goldmine of potential, but it's like they ignore it on purpose.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Actually by making it browser-based they're capturing the largest audience possible, with the lowest barrier of entry possible (it's completely free and playable on machines everybody already owns (PCs.)) I can't see how this is a bad thing.

Also a handheld version would be gimped in some way. At least this website should stay nominally up-to-date with the latest set releases.

Magni

All player data to be wiped in 40 minutes apparently, I got one last game in..

7Lztn.png

Fuck yeah :D

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
MagniHarvald said:
All player data to be wiped in 40 minutes apparently, I got one last game in..

7Lztn.png

Fuck yeah :D

Noooooooooooooooooo! What does this mean? Does it mean I will have to build a completely new character again? More bonus cards if I keep playing with the water deck? More decks?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
This looks quite well made. Wish it was a different TCG. First sign for the possibility of an actual Pokemon MMO maybe?

Are there any other games which are similar? I've found myself craving more.

The site was my first experience at actually battling. I used to collect the cards, but never played with them. I am hooked.

Andrex said:
Actually by making it browser-based they're capturing the largest audience possible, with the lowest barrier of entry possible (it's completely free and playable on machines everybody already owns (PCs.)) I can't see how this is a bad thing.

Also a handheld version would be gimped in some way. At least this website should stay nominally up-to-date with the latest set releases.

I'd rather have a DS TCG game than any of those Ranger/Mystery Dungeon games.

Magni

sammyCYBORG said:
Deck Builder would be nice. Any news on when it is expected to be back?

It was supposed to come back three minutes ago, shouldn't be too long now..

I REALLY hope Deck Builder is in, though I don't believe so. Four hours of maintenance, who knows?

btkadams

MagniHarvald said:
It was supposed to come back three minutes ago, shouldn't be too long now..

I REALLY hope Deck Builder is in, though I don't believe so. Four hours of maintenance, who knows?
wait so is it going to be out of beta?? otherwise i'm not inclined to play through again until the final version. i don't want it to get wiped again haha.

Magni

btkadams said:
wait so is it going to be out of beta?? otherwise i'm not inclined to play through again until the final version. i don't want it to get wiped again haha.

No, still in beta. It was supposed to finish maintenance at 12pm PST, wondering why it's over 200 minutes late..

Magni

Yeah, I wonder why a four hour update is now a seven hour update (and possibly longer).. It's midnight here so I'm gonna give up for tonight and go watch some Fringe with the missus, but hopefully tomorrow morning I can build myself a deck, it's been too long! *crosses fingers*

Proven

I've been waiting... for so long... the fact that it was supposed to be done by 3pm EST means I should've never had to see the maintenance sign.

As for decks, despite not playing in so many years, I still find myself preferring grass and being apprehensive using fire decks.

It sucks that it's been down for so long. This means my friend hasn't played it at all and I want him to get a good idea of how to play the game when he comes to my house, dammit! Argh!

Oh, and my Feraligatr deck arrived today. Woo!

back up now! time to play for a few hours lol.

edit: looks like they're testing server stress tomorrow...

It's the reason for the beta season! Come one, come all to load test the servers and see how many players can log in to the Trainer Challenge. Tell your friends, post on forums and make plans to share in the glory that is Load Testing!

THURSDAY: March 31, 2011 from 4-7 pm PST.

If you can't log in, please keep trying. See you there!

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
xSL4INx said:
Being a competitive player in the TCG right now, yeah, it's uncommon for a deck to run more than around 12 energy cards. The highest energy count for top tier competitive deck right now is 15, and that's Charizard.

I play a Gyarados and it runs a grand total of 4 energies.

It's all draw power, trainers, supporters and the such.

Yep. My loved shuppet deck was 4 psychich energies total . . and that was it.

PushTheButtonMax said:
Looks like you can earn tokens now, just got one for winning a match.

the new pokemon b&w decks show up on the deck selection area. locked until you buy them though. (release april 6 i think). achievements unlock for me now. yay

Logged-in, today, to find my records were wiped. So, I just triple-crowned it in a single playthrough, fully-unlocking all 3 decks in 36 games. I started going back to earn all green check marks with all 3 decks, but I realized it would be another 72 games, and I'm fricken tired, now. It'll just get wiped again, anyway.

I noticed they've changed some wording and graphics, from before the wipe. Obviously, you now earn tokens, though there's no way to spend them.

One of the biggest things that I think needs to be improved, is the explanation of status effects/ailments in effect. Some like burn and sleep are obvious, enough, but others not so much, i.e., the blinking red exclamation shows-up for varying effects, and sometimes there's no indication at all for things like damage prevention. So, you can possibly waste energy to an energy-discard attack, only to find your opponent prevented all damage this turn.

Overall, I like the representation of the table game, and everything flows smoothly-enough, for me. Full-deck customization is the biggest positive, assuming they don't try to nickel-and-dime us for it, a la MTGO.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
metamonk said:
the new pokemon b&w decks show up on the deck selection area. locked until you buy them though. (release april 6 i think). achievements unlock for me now. yay

If this is the case I'm definitely getting one of those decks.

I just played and won my first battle. I hope this really takes off and they make it a 3DS game. I'd pay $40 for a full featured Pokemon trading card game game.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Green Scar said:
"Sorry, we lost you there, refresh the page!" grrrrrr OK I'm out until deck builder shows up.

Yeah, I think I am too. I love the game and everything, but I'd like to be able to get into some real deck building.

Boogiepop

How exactly does one log in? I'm logged into the main site, but trying to do ANYTHING in the TCG Online section just boots me to my already logged in profile on the main site. I'm confused.

Fjord

Does it seem like the AI cheats in Hard to anyone else? I'm going to start writing down my coin flip results. I cleared 50 or so matches before the reset without too much trouble, went in today and had to concede 7 games in a row. Quite frustrating since without a mulligan system there weren't even any plays to make really. Anyway, realized the difficulty had reset to hard so I flipped it back down to medium and cruised through again. I haven't really noticed too many bad decisions from the AI on normal except for some poor use of copycat 'discard your hand, draw up to your opponents number of cards'.

Cels

Fjord said:
Does it seem like the AI cheats in Hard to anyone else? I'm going to start writing down my coin flip results. I cleared 50 or so matches before the reset without too much trouble, went in today and had to concede 7 games in a row. Quite frustrating since without a mulligan system there weren't even any plays to make really. Anyway, realized the difficulty had reset to hard so I flipped it back down to medium and cruised through again. I haven't really noticed too many bad decisions from the AI on normal except for some poor use of copycat 'discard your hand, draw up to your opponents number of cards'.

after the game you can see how many heads/tails each player got. no need to write things down.

edit -- where is the item store? seems like everything is reset with tokens implemented.

Boogiepop

Guys... how the hell do I back out of the "Zoom in on Pokemon" thing? Nothing seems to work, and I'm trapped on a damn close-up of my card. Clicking, buttons, on screen buttons... they do NOTHING. Help please.

Proven

Fjord said:

Rather than coin flips, my problem is my draws. Opponents that already have a type advantage over me tend to also give me the worst draws in the entire game on hard mode. I only end up winning when I get lucky and can set up with a specific pokemon designed to help with that deck's weakness.

In the case of the grass deck, it's Metapod

For the fire, it's just plain power overwhelming with Flareon, Arcanine, Typhlosion, and Magmortar. I'm actually surprised at how few pokemon have a fire resistance of any kind.

And the water deck just has a ton of attacks that let you beat down on pokemon on the bench, especially Blastoise, Vaporeon, and Feraligator. Kingdra has got me out of a few close scrapes as well.

Still, the water deck seems to be the hardest having both a grass weakness (half your deck is the Totodile line at first) and an electric weakness (and then every other water type is weak to electric).

Also, to those have problems, note that the game is extremely buggy right now. Half of yesterday it was just plain down. I had to stop about an hour ago because every move was taking 10 seconds before the animation actually executed it. When there's problems, it usually means to take a break and come back a couple hours later, or preferably the next day.

Mank said:
Guys... how the hell do I back out of the "Zoom in on Pokemon" thing? Nothing seems to work, and I'm trapped on a damn close-up of my card. Clicking, buttons, on screen buttons... they do NOTHING. Help please.
Double click away from the card.

Just played this last night with the grass and fire deck. Starting to like the game except for the coin flip system and having a dead draw.

Top Bottom