• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope had secret meeting with Kim Davis, Kentucky County Clerk

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

her parents are catholic, she's a Christian convert.

I bet the pope told her to stick up for her religious freedom and beliefs, but don't be a dick about it.

If she had objected and resigned in protest and then started a movement, none of us would be here today, and she might be on her way to hero status, instead of being a pariah...

...which the pope would be sympathetic to.

Redberyl

Neo Member
He was probably just trying to get her out of the office so the deputies doing their jobs could have a breather.

Rocky85

Banned
Wow three divorces, thats like what, 4000 hail mary's and at least 50 denied gay marriage licenses. She's got a long way to go.

Don't worry everyone, I've thought of a way to let you love the Pope again

The Pope is trying to give her renewed vigor because he's secretly pro-gay, and wants her to keep fighting until she's imprisoned and disgraced

Run with that

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Wow you called Cathlocism a "cult" you're so cool and irreverent I wish I was as daring and transgressive as you.

latest

He's the pope, he's expected to forgive her. What is embarrassing is that this idiot got the privilege to meet him in private while I'm sure there are tons of Catholics who are great people who couldn't get a ticket to even witness the pope

But ppl don't get what they deserve etc etc

Davilmar

Why does this surprise anyone? The Pope is the head of a conservative institution. He isn't all of a sudden going to support gay marriage, abortion or other liberal issues. He is the head of an organization where his theology, organization membership and lifestyle are conservative. People really need to stop being foolish and realize that having a great PR doesn't change Pope Francis from being a Catholic. I'm more surprised that he tried to keep this under wraps, if what the stories are to be believed. Also, Catholic are Christians. As the head of his church, I see no reason why he wouldn't meet with Kim Davis over anyone else. Was it worth a private meeting? No. It doesn't mean that the Pope couldn't see her at all.

As a liberal Catholic who really respects this pope, I found this news gross. But, in a way it's useful as a reminder that the semi-arbitrary distinctions we draw in America between camps of political stances aren't gospel.

NPR was reporting this morning that it's possible that the whole meeting was arranged by an overzealous official at the Vatican embassy, and that the pope himself may not have requested the meeting specifically or even had much of an idea of who Kim Davis was.

Ultimately the pope is a mouthpiece for centuries of unchanging Catholic dogma. People respond to his words and actions as the absolute center of that universe, and all the baggage it carries. Pretty words are one thing but this is an act by a sitting pope. He can kiss all the babies in the world but open endorsement of shitting on our constitution is more than just talk.

How is this an endorsement of shitting on our constitution?

the Vatican spokesman refused to say what happen b/c he doesn't want it to get out that Kim Davis and the Pope had a cage match and the Pope lost. He was then forced to say to her positive statements from kitten posters

NH Apache

Banned
As a liberal Catholic who really respects this pope, I found this news gross. But, in a way it's useful as a reminder that the semi-arbitrary distinctions we draw in America between camps of political stances aren't gospel.

NPR was reporting this morning that it's possible that the whole meeting was arranged by an overzealous official at the Vatican embassy, and that the pope himself may not have requested the meeting specifically or even had much of an idea of who Kim Davis was.

I heard this as well. I'm not sure if anything has followed from this.

Like I said in the "Atheists can go to heaven too" thread, this Pope's nothing but "good PR" for the church to make them look progressive without actually doing anything progressive or forcing progressive change within the church. This only comes as a surprise because Davis isn't a Catholic. It also damages a lot of the PR work he's done in making the church look less archaic which I'm fine with.

He did say he was gonna hold the child molesting priests responsible for their actions, so that's good. 2 years late, though. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say that getting the church to go through with it along with the rest of his progressive ideas doesn't happen instantly if at all.

I'd believe the Pope would say something like that. He's the freakin' Pope. Rights, ethics, progress isn't something religion is huge on. To assume the Pope is as progressive and welcoming as we want to believe is quite the stretch.

I really like this article by Rev. James Martin from America Media about this entire situation. Definitely worth a look if you want to read perhaps a less politically sided or outraged article.

I especially liked his last point lol I think we have a rule against copying the whole article here but man I enjoyed every single on one of his points.

Right, but Mark Wahlberg's kind of known for other things. Some extremely shitty things but some less shitty ones as well. Also, why the hell was he meeting Mark Wahlberg?

What other reason does the Pope have for meeting Davis other than what she's known for? He could be scorning her for the shit she's done but that doesn't seem likely after what he's said about people being allowed to hold whatever beliefs they want. That is a separate issue from doing what you're supposed to because it's your job, even if your belief system opposes it so he could be telling her she should be doing it because it is her job, but who knows.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
And I was starting to like this Pope...

If he's not actually the smart and humane Pope using his unique position for good, as I hoped.... then I remember he's just another weird successor to rule an old cult

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Regardless of the merit of being able to do this...

Is this relevant when you're this absolutely fucking positively on the right side of the argument?

There is no absolute right side of the argument or any moral argument, you've lived long enough to be aware of this now. There's 7 billion people or 7 billion slightly different versions of right and even over few thousand years widely held beliefs have changed significantly and will continue to change significantly as time progress, even within religions which have designated an absolute right you'll find thousands of versions of right, let alone when there isn't remotely such a stance.

Chococat

"A senior Vatican official, who declined to be named, said there was a 'sense of regret' within the Holy See over the encounter."

What the Vatican didn't expect is Davis and her lawyers seizing upon generic words of "stay strong" given to everyone and twisting them into support for her cause. If the Pope truly meant her supported her particular fight, one would think his words would be tailored to that.

Seeing how slimy her lawyers are, I could see the Vatican accepting their request for an audience without understanding that the Pope would be used in their PR stunt.

MJPIA

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/02/us-usa-pope-kentuckyclerk-idUSKCN0RW0UN20151002
Looking to limit controversy after last week's meeting in Washington between the pope and Kim Davis, Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi said she was one of "several dozen" people who had been invited by the Vatican ambassador to see Francis.
He added that Davis had been in a line of people the pope had met at the Vatican embassy in Washington before he left for New York.

"The only real audience granted by the Pope at the Nunciature (Vatican embassy) was with one of his former students and his family," the statement said.
If Kim Davis was one of several dozen invited by the ambassador I'm kinda curious as to just who were those other people were in that line?

Forkball

This woman broke the law due to her prejudice, and because of it has meet a presidential candidate and the pope.

Think of all your accomplishments in life.

None of them netted you a visit with the pope.

Sapiens

Stuff like this is good. It reminds me that he's still the pope and that I really might not have all that much in common with him and his institution.

kIdMuScLe

I thought I read somewhere that a lot of the American Catholics priests, bishops and cardinals don't like the pope because he is very progressive? I'm pretty sure the pope got setup so he could look bad or make him look bad as a political point

I already knew he had two sides but this cemented that this pope is not for me and is putting a public face if he went out of his way to find this lady and basically congratulate her.

How many outraged people basically read the first post and know absolutely nothing in terms of context to the Pope or what happened?

Also fuck off Kim Davis. You're a piece of shit.

I already knew he had two sides but this cemented that this pope is not for me and is putting a public face if he went out of his way to find this lady and basically congratulate her.
He didn't, read the posts above your's. His people set up the meeting, not him. He probably didn't even know who she was.

Sounding like Pope probably got set up.

He didn't, read the posts above your's. His people set up the meeting, not him. He probably didn't even know who she was.

Sounding like Pope probably got set up.
If that's the case then I can't judge him for this particular incident. Assuming this isn't an excuse due to backfire, but I'll give benefit of the doubt now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom