• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope said she said, Pope did not discuss with Kim Davis anything according to Vatican

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynedom

A piece of holy bullshit this is. There was absolutely no reason to visit her except to console her on this. If he had been there to try and correct her ways, they would have mentioned it.

NimbusD

I mean, personally I think it's just weird in the first place that she would be selected for a meet n greet with the pope even if she's one of a dozen. If the vatican doesn't care one way or the other then why bother with her of all the possible people to invite? Sounds like there's a little bit of truth smudging going on on both sides.

A piece of holy bullshit this is. There was absolutely no reason to visit her except to console her on this. If he had been there to try and correct her ways, they would have mentioned it.

I'm not sure you understand. He didn't visit her. She tagged along with a group scheduled for a meet and greet with the Pope as he was leaving Washington DC.

They pretty much saying they are really really bad at their jobs.

They're basically saying We Are Shit, except in a more palatable manner

I met UFC Fighter Forrest Griffin once when I won a scavenger hunt once. We shook hands, took a photo, and that was it.

OR WAS IT?!

Tldr; There are a ton of reasons for this to have happened. I'm going with Davis and her lawyers trolling for some good PR, and the Vatican are terrrrible at vetting

zychi

Banned
Theyre both lying. If it wasnt a big issue the Pope cared about, he wouldnt have his people comment.

She did it to justify her bullshit, and the Pope is responding exactly how she thought he would.

All the Pope has to do is say what she did was wrong publicly and he fixes his issue with this regardless if they met secretly or not. He didnt do that, so he clearly agrees.

ReaperXL7

So Washington arm of his church set the Pope up to try to make Kim Davis look good. And the Vatican trusting the actions of the nuncio went along with it not knowing they were being set up.

holy fuck you can't make this shit up.

I don't remember where the specific article was from but I do remember reading a piece about how the Pope could have had a rough time in the U.S. because there are officials of the church who do not like many of The Popes views on various issues. It's also not hard to believe that the Evangelical right would have issues with him either because he's probably the most influential religious leader in the world and there are times in which he says things that don't align very well with shit you hear on Fox News.

I don't know if these types would try to sneak her in without the pope knowing much about her (I imagine the pope is a busy guy) but I wouldn't put it past some of these jokers to set this up.

wildfire

Banned
This is pretty much what I had assumed -- that Davis was one of many people who got to very briefly meet the pope at one gathering, not that it was a private, secret meeting just for her.

This was the impression Davis gave which is what made this troubling to me. Yes the church isn't in support of gay marriage but I don't think the church was in the mood to advocate religion trumps your local laws.

Being personally invited is still a big deal but it being part of a group instead of private meeting makes this less problematic for me.

MJPIA

With three threads about Kim Davis now I'm not sure where to put this so I'm leaving it here.
Earlier article I posted was of remarks made by her lawyer to AP, Liberty Council has now released a full press release which includes a bunch of selfies of Kim and her husband sitting in a room (Not with the pope).
https://www.lc.org/newsroom/details/popes-words-and-meetings-support-conscientious-objection
The meeting with Kim Davis was initiated by the Vatican, and the private meeting occurred at the Vatican Embassy in Washington, D.C., on Thursday, September 24. This meeting was a private meeting without any other members of the public present.
On September 23, the meeting for the next day was confirmed by the Vatican official. On the morning of September 24, the meeting was again confirmed with Kim Davis, with instructions that security would arrive for a pickup at 1:15 p.m. Kim and Joe Davis were picked up by security at the hotel in which she and her husband were staying and driven to the Vatican Embassy. Kim and Joe Davis waited for the private meeting with the Pope. There were no other people in the room. This was a private meeting between Pope Francis and Kim and Joe Davis. This was not a meeting with other people in which Kim and Joe Davis were a part, but rather a private meeting with no other people in the room except Vatican security and personnel.
Today Reuters wrongly reported that “Davis had been in a line of people the Pope had met at the Vatican embassy.…” “That statement by Reueters citing a ‘senior Vatican official, who delined to be named,’ is false. There was no line of people before, near, or around Kim Davis. Had Kim Davis been in a line of people or been seen by anyone outside of Vatican personnel, we would not have been able to keep her visit secret. Kim’s face is easily recognizable. When we walk through airports as large as LaGuardia, Philadelpia, and Reagan, people recognize her and give her encouragement. This was a private meeting with no other people except for the Pope and select Vatican personnel,” said Staver.

During the private meeting, Pope Francis said, “Thank you for your courage.” Pope Francis also told Kim Davis, “Stay strong.” He held out his hands and asked Kim to pray for him. Kim held his hands and said, “I will. Please pray for me,” and the Pope said he would. The two embraced. The Papal photography staff took pictures of the meeting. The Pontiff presented Kim and Joe Davis each with a Rosary. One was black in a red jewelry box bearing the Vatican seal, and the other was white in a white jewelry box bearing the Vatican seal.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
None of the selfies even have the Pope in them.

uOtP8VZ.jpg

"Me with my bff"

With three threads about Kim Davis now I'm not sure where to put this so I'm leaving it here.
Earlier article I posted was of remarks made by her lawyer to AP, Liberty Council has now released a full press release which includes a bunch of selfies of Kim and her husband sitting in a room (Not with the pope).
https://www.lc.org/newsroom/details/popes-words-and-meetings-support-conscientious-objection

I really want those rosaries to be hers, considering she's a Protestant. That would be funny.

MJPIA

I really want those rosaries to be hers, considering she's a Protestant. That would be funny.

From what I understand they were gifts handed out by the pope to everyone and her parents or her husbands parents are catholic so she is going to give the rosaries to them.
or something.

Their statement has already been in all the articles but just for contrast here is the Vatican's short press release on the meeting.
http://press.vatican.va/content/salastampa/it/bollettino/pubblico/2015/10/02/0749/01616.html#ing

Two press statements and two completely different stories.
Pick yer poison.

I mean, personally I think it's just weird in the first place that she would be selected for a meet n greet with the pope even if she's one of a dozen. If the vatican doesn't care one way or the other then why bother with her of all the possible people to invite? Sounds like there's a little bit of truth smudging going on on both sides.

Because this is how these types of meetings usually happen:

Someone is a friend of someone who is a friend / relative of someone (ie, a priest) who is able to put his/her name on an invite list.

For example, my parents are trying to line up a 'meeting' like this with the Pope when they visit Rome next year. They are friends with a retired professor whose cousin (a bishop) works at some Church org in Vatican City and can get them an invite.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Someone is a friend of someone who is a friend / relative of someone (ie, a priest) who is able to put his/her name on an invite list.

For example, my parents are trying to line up a 'meeting' like this with the Pope when they visit Rome next year. They are friends with a retired professor whose cousin (a bishop) works at some Church org in Vatican City and can get them an invite.

To back this up

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/03/world/europe/pope-francis-kim-davis-meeting.html

Mr. Staver, for his part, said he had been briefly introduced to Archbishop Viganò in April, when he spoke at a large rally in Washington against same-sex marriage, before the Supreme Court ruled on the issue.

Staver is Kim Davis' laywer. That Archbishop is the guy whose office set this up.

Here:

“The Nunciature was able to bring in donors, benefactors.”

So im sure some right wing people paid and got their poster child on the list.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Dope Pope redeemed.

Pope holds meeting with openly gay couple, arranged personally via e-mail. Pope holds meeting next day with a group of people, with whom Davis was invited by the group the Pope was meeting.

How does anyone side with Davis's story?

I like how the Pope's visit has been overshadowed by the topic of secret meetings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom