• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope said she said, Pope did not discuss with Kim Davis anything according to Vatican

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stet

Banned
"He says Vatican officials told her to change her hairstyle so she wouldn’t be recognized since they wanted the encounter kept secret."

Then they all went out and watched The Da Vinci Code.

WedgeX

Banned
So US clergy tried to have the Pope give tacit approval to Davis's actions.

Must've been surprised as fuck at the Vatican's open rebuke today.

And no surprise that Davis would try to capitalize on it.

I think Davis is telling the truth more than the Pope and his people are. Let's be honest, the Pope is the leader of a seedy religion that has lied since its inception. It's one of the bigger regressions in human history. It's actually conceivable the figure head of this religion has some pretty backwards beliefs. He may be friendly but you must be forgetting what he heads.

I think Davis is telling the truth more than the Pope and his people are. Let's be honest, the Pope is the leader of a seedy religion that has lied since its inception. It's one of the bigger regressions in human history. It's actually conceivable the figure head of this religion has some pretty backwards beliefs. He may be friendly but you must be forgetting what he heads.

You must've missed the latest statement from Davis' lawyers.

SURGEdude

"He says Vatican officials told her to change her hairstyle so she wouldn’t be recognized since they wanted the encounter kept secret."

Then they all went out and watched The Da Vinci Code.

To be fair all she'd need is a hair brush to go incognito.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This is getting into some wrestling levels of writing and scripting here. WHO WAS DRIVING THAT BLACK CAR?!

Oh Vatican security was...

Mariolee

Yeah, sounds like conservatives in the US set the meeting up when they passed along a small list of people to meet and greet, and the Vatican people who do the vetting didn't realize how big a deal this would be.

Now they're seeing that rather than talking about the rest of his trip, all everyone is talking about is this one meeting, so they're doing what they can to distance themselves from it having realized they fucked up big time.

It's pretty disappointing and frustrating that all of this is distracting from all of the good the Pope did on his trip here.

User1608

Banned
It's pretty disappointing and frustrating that all of this is distracting from all of the good the Pope did on his trip here.
I admit I was hurt (on the assumption he endorsed her) but I never forgot Francis' main goal and purpose for visiting here and gladly support it all the way. I shouldn't have believed what this idiot said at all in the first place. She certainly loves being the center of attention, how noble of her.

Why would Kim Davis and her lawyers lie? Sorry Pope, I'm siding with Kim Davis on this one.

Why would somebody actively breaking the law and trying to jump on every publicity stunt possible lie about the legitimacy of her cause? Well. I don't think that's too hard to answer.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm not sure what the real story is (I'm leaning toward believing the Vatican on this one), but man, is it hilarious seeing them throw Kim Davis right under the bus. Also, if true, sounds like the Pope may want to make some more changes to his representation over here.

I'm not sure what the real story is (I'm leaning toward believing the Vatican on this one), but man, is it hilarious seeing them throw Kim Davis right under the bus. Also, if true, sounds like the Pope may want to make some more changes to his representation over here.

It was secret until Kim Davis tried to capitalize on it. All bets were off at that point.

MJPIA

This had turned into one big he said she thing and has removed any attention from the many other things the pope said in his trip to the U.S.

When this story first broke didn't someone mention that photos were taken out am I mixing something up?
If there were those photos might be able to give us some evidence of whether it not this really was a private one on one with the pope or if she was just one of several dozen invited to meet with him.

ivysaur12

Banned
Let's also not forget the Pope does not support gay marriage and never will. He sides with Davis on her attempts to be a conscious objector. That much isn't in doubt.

But. lol at this. lololololololol

WedgeX

Banned

Which would be damn welcome.

Slayven

Let's also not forget the Pope does not support gay marriage and never will. He sides with Davis on her attempts to be a conscious objector. That much isn't in doubt.

But. lol at this. lololololololol

But he cool pope, he lets you take a sip of his beer

Cool Pooooppppppeeee!!!!! To the Xtreme

Syriel

They're not remotely saying that.

Fundamentally they don't agree with gay marriage and would agree with the idea conscientious objection against it (though not necessarily conscientious exemption from duties...). They probably just don't necessarily view Kim Davis as the best poster child for these issues - because, well, she's not a particularly good one.

The Catholic Church's stance would be that she's doing a secular job for the government and that she should do her job. She's not working for a religious institution.

Vatican fucked up. And head of a religion doesn't read about religion related news? Not likely.

Some random woman (not even a Catholic) does something stupid in a foreign country? Nah, Pope got better things to do than that. Especially this Pope. You may not agree with all of his beliefs, but it is undisputed that he has made service of the poor a renewed focus of the Church.

She isn't? That would make all this even crazier

Nope. She's just using the fact that most Americans don't understand that Christian != Catholic to her advantage.

Plenty of reasons to criticize the Catholic Church. Because the Pope met a crazy lady during a generic meet-and-greet isn't one of them.

ivysaur12

Banned
Oooof.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015...lerk-idUSKCN0RW0UN20151002?utm_source=twitter

He said the pope was most likely not fully aware of how controversial a figure Davis had become.

"I would simply say her case is a very complex case. It has all kinds of intricacies. Was there an opportunity to brief the pope on this beforehand? I don't think so. Was an in depth process done? No, probably not," he said.

Asked if the pope had been set up intentionally by someone in the embassy, Rosica said: "No, reading all of the information, listening to all of the facts, these things happen."

Rosica said he also doubted that the Davis and her husband spent 15 minutes with the pope, as her lawyer had reported, saying "there simply was not enough time".

Davis has said her beliefs as an Apostolic Christian prevent her from issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples. Her church belongs to a Protestant movement known as Apostolic Pentecostalism.

Rosica said he hoped the Davis incident and its aftermath would not distract from the significance of the U.S. trip.

"The visit was extraordinary ... so to allow this to kind of overshadow it would be very unfortunate. This is not the centerpiece of the papal visit. This is one small part of it, but it is a loaded centerpiece."

Why would Kim Davis and her lawyers lie? Sorry Pope, I'm siding with Kim Davis on this one.

Are you kidding me with this shit? Kim Davis and her lawyers are slime, and I'm not surprised they tried to take advantage of the situation.

But sure, let's give the person that was actively breaking the law numerous times the benefit of the doubt.

Are you kidding me with this shit? Kim Davis and her lawyers are slime, and I'm not surprised they tried to take advantage of the situation.

But sure, let's give the person that was actively breaking the law numerous times the benefit of the doubt.

Why would somebody actively breaking the law and trying to jump on every publicity stunt possible lie about the legitimacy of her cause? Well. I don't think that's too hard to answer.

I thought my comment would be interpreted as a joke until I saw people actually taking her side on this. Oops.

jstripes

Banned
You would think this would be prime opportunity for the Pope to go all in for same sex marriage under God.

The fact that such an outspoken guy hasn't said a word about it is why the Vatican's account seems more likely in this situation.

It's like some tween girl who won an invite to get a photo with Taylor Swift. "OMG! I met Taylor Swift!" means she stood next to her for two seconds.

Air

Banned
Duh. Like I said in the other topic, this meeting probably didn't amount to anything more than a 'keep the faith' kind of ordeal. Kind of like how a rockstar walks through a dozen fans and 'meets them'. People who got angry either didn't read the story right, or were going to be angry regardless of what the dude would have done.

genjiZERO

Sounds like two opposite possibilities

1. The Pope is distancing himself from the situation because of the negative backlash associated with it.

2. Some fucking Diocesan with a little bit of power and a conservative agenda set it up intentionally, and the Pope din't really know the circumstances

Duh. Like I said in the other topic, this meeting probably didn't amount to anything more than a 'keep the faith' kind of ordeal. Kind of like how a rockstar walks through a dozen fans and 'meets them'. People who got angry either didn't read the story right, or were going to be angry regardless of what the dude would have done.

It was inappropriate to meet her regardless. It's a clear separation of church and state issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom