• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Popular gaming franchises you don't give a f*ck about

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Silent Hill

Legit trash franchises lol
tumblr_n22rf1CVMY1tq4of6o1_500.gif

Termite

If it's anime-based I probably don't give a fuck. Endless Dragon Ball references online are lost on me and so are all those games, and all the shonen anime games.

On the other hand, if it feels like military propaganda of any kind I'm also out. Your Call of Duties and Battlefields etc.

As for Nintendo, Yoshi and Kirby games skew way too young for me. I'm cool with dealing with cute visuals to get to good gameplay, but these two series tend to have gameplay that's so basic and easy that I can rarely enjoy them (with exceptions).

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Most of them.

I'll play one or two titles, but I'm not out here being a fanboy of single entry of every major franchise or series.

Zero7

Assassin's creed
PUBG
Fortnite
Halo
Gears of war
Smash Bros
Fifa
Cod
Demons/Dark souls
The last of us
God of war

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Anything online multiplayer. Have never played a second of Fortnite or any of those popular games and I don't think I ever will.

Ulysses 31

Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Smash, COD, any F2P game. Any series with 1-2 yearly release.

Games with gear resets.

Last edited:

Rubik8

So so many.
But off the top of my head: Halo, Gears of War, Pokémon, Fire Emblem, Assassin’s creed, Final Fantasy, Fortnite, and most recently Call of Duty. I can live without them all.

MarlboroRed

SoulsBorne games. I mean, I play them. And I enjoy them, too.. But unless you have completed all of them at least 3 times over while only wearing a piece of cloth around your loins, you are not considered a true SoulsBorne fan.

Also, most of The Legend Of Zelda. Sure, OoT is a classic, WW had a lovely artstyle and BotW is the Mononoke adaptation I always wanted. But the other entries always fell flat for me.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
SoulsBorne games. I mean, I play them. And I enjoy them, too..

But unless you have completed all of them at least 3 times over while only wearing a piece of cloth around your loins, you are not considered a true SoulsBorne fan.
Who cares what anyone else thinks? There is no rule about how you should play the game, you are not playing this game so other people call you "hardcore", you are playing this game for enjoyment.

YukiOnna

Call of Duty
SIMS
Battlefield
Assassins Creed
Gran Turismo
Just Dance
Fortnite
Star Wars
Half-Life
Street Fighter
Grand Theft Auto
The Elder Scrolls
New Fallout

MarlboroRed

Who cares what anyone else thinks? There is no rule about how you should play the game, you are not playing this game so other people call you "hardcore", you are playing this game for enjoyment.
Oh 100%. Just saying, compared to some of the more fanatical fans out there I'm definitely more on the "I don't give a fuck about it" side of things.

junguler

Banned
anything nintendo does, i had the nes and really enjoyed it but didn't feel the need to get any of their other consoles at all.

Imotekh

Final Fantasy. I played 2 hours of thirteen, couldn't past the shitty aesthetic and female characters apparently climaxing every time they exerted themselves in any way. Glad I never gave a fuck about the others.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
GTA
Infamous
Souls games
RDR
Spiderman
MGS
Motal Kombat
Uncharted
Forza
Killzone
COD
Mario
God of War

Plus
Any sports games
Most of the big Nintendo games except Zelda
All JRPGs

bobone

Anything Naughty Dog.

There is no fun to be had in their games.The shooting, movement, boring enemy encounters all seem like they belong in a company that's never made a game before.
I'm absolutely not interested in wasting my time with something that offers me nothing in return.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
TLOU
GOW (gears and God)
Genshin impact
Smash Bros
Monster Hunter
Battlefield
Cod
Pokemon

Pokemon (played Persona PS1 series first)

Resident Evil (4 was the last new entry I could get into aside from the recent RE 2 remake)

Monster Hunter (slow pacing and dozens of hours of grinding for materials. had some few cool moments scattered, but no thanks)

Assassin's Creed (not much patience for "AAA" buggy messes with bad combat)

Any yearly sports game installment
Need For Speed
Call of Duty
Main Final Fantasy installments
Any Hideo Kojima game
Any Kingdom Hearts game (extends to anything Nomura, tbh)
Any MMO
3D Sonic Games
Gears of War after Gears of War 3
Animal Crossing
Tales of games (liked some of them at some point, but they burnt a bridge for me)
Gran Turismo games
Mortal Kombat
Street Fighter
Tekken
Soul Calibur

If further Persona games are like Persona 5 I'll start skipping them as well.

Probably a few more.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I love all things Nintendo, but can't stand Pokemon.

MiguelItUp

League of Legends
Fortnite
Players Unknown Battlegrounds
Apex Legends
Assassin's Creed
Valorant
Rainbow Six Siege
The Last of Us (after 2)
Uncharted
Little Big Planet (I tried)
Jak & Daxter
Ratchet & Clank
World of Warcraft

Franchise I gave a f*ck about once and never again:

Assassins Creed Black Flag.

Amazing game. Never played AC before and honestly would not have cared, if the PS4 had more launch titles. Even still I asked the opinion of a friend and read many reviews before buying. Did I play any of the sequels after enjoying Black Flag? Nope. Still feel like I played the best of the series with no desire to play the others, before or since.

Franchises I used to give a f*ck about and now don't:

NHL, NFL by Electronic Arts.

These franchises are going nowhere fast in my opinion. The move from 2-D to 3-D and from game into simulation have ruined these titles in many ways. EA Sports games used to be the most fun you could have in a two player setting. Now the games are setup to long grind better teams (or let you pay for it quickly) so you even have the faintest chance if you want to play online. Don't want to blanket blame EA here, but they hold the keys so they get the blame.

Iced Arcade

Most games that come from Japan. Over the top anime guys who look like chicks with swords the size of surf boards doesn't do much for me.

Most of its fucking weird (to me) thus Splinter cell > metal gear.

No disrespect for Japan or anyone who likes that shit though.

Uncharted
TLOU
Same. I bought and tried to play Uncharted 4 and TLOU Remaster, and didn't finish either. Cutscenes are great but actually being a game is terrible. Not engaging at all. I love stealth games, wanted to like TLOU, and got so bored with it. Don't understand the love.

ranmafan

Ok I can list a few:
Halo - Loved the first, but after that was bored by it, and I hated having to play as the Arbiter in the 2nd and 3rd games. Didn't care for the character and it soured me on halo after that.
Gears of War - bored me so much
Forza - Didn't like all the time penalties when i played the second game. Prefer GT over it by miles.
Mario Kart - I just don't like kart racers to be honest
The Last of Us - Its not all terrible, but honestly after the big gut punch of a beginning in the first game, the rest is a slog to go through. 2nd game completely drained the last little interest i had in the series
Apex Legends - I tried so hard to like it as friends of mine think its the greatest, but I just hate everything about it.
Genshin Impact -- While just one game at the moment I have to put it here as its popular now. Literally put me to sleep as I played it. Immortals and BOTW are much much better games. Immortals especially, deserves more attention than Genshin anyday

Probably more I could list but thats enough for me

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
2K, FIFA, UFC, and Madden.

I only like the half-dead genre of arcade sports instead of the realistic stuff. It’s a shame what happened to EA Big and Midway Sports.

Velius

Banned
The Last of Us.
It's a hamfisted quilt of every apocalyptic trope button. It plays out as a fanfiction. There wasn't a single thing that happened in either game that I didn't predict with rolling eyes. This extends to the Uncharted series because it's the same thing, just with a different genre. ND is even more narrow than Bethesda. They have one game they do over and over. If you like it, that's great. I just can't appreciate them the way others do I guess.

Any Gran Tirimasu game, or game with cars in it.
It's fucking boring. Any time someone starts talking about it I get a nosebleed.

Any sports game NFL/NHL/NBA/UFC
As far as the worst types go it's between this and the last one. I'd even rather play TLoU than these types of games.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I haven’t owned a PlayStation since the PSOne, so I guess I don’t care about any of Sony’s franchises. However, I really want a PS5 to play new games.

zaanan

Banned
Was gonna say COD, but then I remembered they are basically the only ones carrying the torch for couch coop and vs, so I kinda love ‘em for that. I guess my answer would be Final Fantasy, I just don’t get what the big deal is.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
If you get a PS5 and play the games on the PS+ Collection, you'll wonder what you've been doing with your life.
I felt that way about Zelda/Mario when I finally got a Switch a couple years ago. Hopefully it’s the same feeling with the new Sony games.

Hustler

This is quite the edgy chat, hate on stuff because it's cool.

Animal Crossing, I tried the mobile version...... how has this sold double digit millions on Switch? It's so dry and boring

Top Bottom