• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Popular gaming franchises you don't give a f*ck about

Animagic

Banned
Modern AAA movie games
Ubisoft open world games
Bethesda games
Sony first party studios games
Microsoft developed shooters
Any game that costs $40+ Yet includes thousands of in game purchases as if it were obtained for free
Baby games with baby music or sounds like Kirby or yoshi games.
Roguelikes
Roguelites
Survival and crafting games

I like arcade style games or arcade racing, flying, etc
action games, management and design sims, God games, and some rpgs

metal gear solid

i really tried to like it

but it's like christopher nolan on steroids

the more convoluted i make this thing the smarter i'll look

i love the aesthetics of the series

regawdless

Banned
CoD - sp campaigns are so boring regarding the gameplay. Don't care much for the feeling of the guns and the movement. MP never grabbed me.

Halo - played the first two games. Really dislike the art style and the gunplay. Didn't care about the story either.

Many more like minecraft, EA sports games, overwatch etc.

FINAL FANTASY
CALL OF DUTY

i honestly do not see anything attractive about this 2, is " you die you respawn bogus shooter "

the other one is fantasy bullshit. FF

never bought this title.

Gandih42

Wow, a lot of really broad answers in this thread. I guess it kind of makes sense though, the range of games available has never been larger than it is now. Even within a single genre several subgenres can exist, produced at all kinds of levels of budget and polish. No one's beholden to games they don't really enjoy.

Anyway, sports and racing games in general are not for me so those are discounted right away. As for franchises within genres I do enjoy, it would probably be something like :

Destiny
Watch Dogs
Ghost Recon
Fortnite
Overwatch
Counter Strike
League of Legends
Animal Crossing
World of Warcraft (not since The Burning Crusade)

The last of us.
Call of duty.
I try, but I can never get into any 3D Nintendo game.
smash bros.
mario party.
Warcraft (any variant)
Warhammer
Any sports game made within the last 10 years.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I call bullshit on some of y’all. “Anything Nintendo”? Bullshit. 😂You’re telling me you’ve never been a kid? Never once enjoyed a single game made by the company that saved video games?

I think OP would’ve been better served to say “NEVER gave a fuck”. In fact based on his own response I would guess that IS what he meant. I bet you that list would be a lot smaller and probably a lot more niche.

For example, I gave a shit at one point about Final Fantasy. But not since FF7. Same with NBA Live, Need for Speed, Madden, Castlevania, Sonic, etc. Most of those I just grew tired of or they changed too much from their original concept that I can’t relate to it any more.

But games I’ve never cared about?
* All flight, tank, and racing sims.
* Almost all JRPGs going back to the PS1 days. Some exceptions sure but yeah I hate anime soooo...

Out of all the popular franchises:
God of War
Pokémon
Fortnite
Minecraft
Animal Crossing
Dark Souls
Elder Scrolls
Pikmin
The Last of Us
Red Dead. Unless Red Dead Revolver counts. I actually liked that game.

That’s it. Most games if they aren’t in the above-mentioned genres have at least one entry that I say I liked and my interest in them could be swayed with a new entry.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Uncharted - only good ones were 2 + Lost Legacy. it's gonna take Naughty Dog a lot to convince me to play another one.
God of War - just no. god damn awful trash. absolute junk.
Call of Duty - played the shit out of them up until the first Black Ops. I bought Advanced Warfare because it looked cool but it was not fun at all.
Final Fantasy - mind numbing and ridiculous.

Valonquar

Pretty much FPSa s a genre entirely. I used to live for deathmatch FPS like Unreal Tournament, Half-Life, Doom, Team Fortress 1, etc. I think giant online frag fests with voice chat with strangers is the pinnacle of boredom and annoyance for me now.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Sony games
Modern xbox games
Call of duty
Modern Blizzard
Well yeah... It will be easier to say what I like at this point.

kyussman

As a father of 2 children 1 year away from my 40s and with very little time on my hands, it is easier to list what I am actually interested in (in no particular order):
- Mario
- Zelda
- Souls games
- Silent Hill
- Uncharted
- Horizon
- Witcher
- Final Fantasy
- GTA

Everything else has nearly no chance to even appear on my radar.
Yea,when my two kids were younger my gaming time was limited to whenever I could catch the odd bit of time....but the good news is children grow up.....my two are well into their teens now and they do their own thing more.....leaves more time for gaming,lol.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
PoPuLaR tHiNgS BAAaaD!!!11111
Yeah, I think this thread has turned into a bitch and moan fest about how [franchise I used to like] has turned to shit therefore I never cared about it anyway? I’m not really sure after reading most of these responses.

I took OPs purpose to talk about game series that you’ve never cared about.

Oh BOI. Last of us, call of duty (any of them including battle royale BS), Fortnite, God of War, any Zelda game after the N64 ones, Among Us (absolute garbage imo), RDR2, literally any battle royale, Fifa or any of the EA sports games, I mean shit the lost goes on.

Any of the souls games, although I’m not sure they’re actually popular, there’s just a lot of noise around them.

Any Japanese games really, except maybe Nintendo first party. Too weird for me.

Kupfer

Far Cry
Assassins Creed
Ghost Recon
Battlefield (since it's last good game - BF3)
Fifa
PES
Gran Tourismo
All Nintendo stuff
Rainbow Six
Watch Dogs
MMOBA related stuff

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Assassin's Creed, I played most of the 1st and some of the early America one. Both were some of the most tedious, scripted, hand holding experiences I've ever had.

GymWolf

Too many to make a list.

On top of my head

Everything from nintendo except zelda and metroid but i could buy a real AAA pokemon rpg if they ever gonna make one
Cod
Fortnite
Battle royals in general
Minecraft
Stuff like dota or lol
Animal fucking crossing
Multyplayer survivor games like dead by deadlight et similia
Forza or gt
Kinda done with gears after 4 and 5, still hope for halo
Resident evil if they continue with this first person thing
Final fantasy after...well after ff9 tbh.
The usual fifa, 2k, madden etc.

GymWolf

The Last of Us.
It's a hamfisted quilt of every apocalyptic trope button. It plays out as a fanfiction. There wasn't a single thing that happened in either game that I didn't predict with rolling eyes. This extends to the Uncharted series because it's the same thing, just with a different genre. ND is even more narrow than Bethesda. They have one game they do over and over. If you like it, that's great. I just can't appreciate them the way others do I guess.

Any Gran Tirimasu game, or game with cars in it.
It's fucking boring. Any time someone starts talking about it I get a nosebleed.

Any sports game NFL/NHL/NBA/UFC
As far as the worst types go it's between this and the last one. I'd even rather play TLoU than these types of games.
The second game does contain trace of a golf match in a way...

Any battle royales (PUBG, Fortnite, Apex Legends, etc.), MOBAs (LoL, Dota, etc.), MMOs (WoW, etc.)
Any realistic racing games (Forza, Gran Turismo, etc.)
Any strategy games (Civilization, Starcraft, Warcraft, X-COM, etc.)
Assassin's Creed (I haven't cared since AC3)
Battlefield
Borderlands
Call of Duty (Lost interest after a few of them. Black Ops 2 was the last one I played)
Destiny
Dragon Quest
Dynasty Warriors (and their ilk)
Fire Emblem
Gears of War (I was good after the original trilogy)
Halo
Kingdom Hearts
Minecraft
Most fighting games (Mortal Kombat, Tekken, etc.)
*Most sports games (FIFA, Madden, MLB The Show, NBA 2K, etc.)
Overwatch
Pokémon
Sonic
Tales of
**Tom Clancy games

* Golf, and the returning College Football, are the only ones that would still interest me at this point.
** Except for Splinter Cell, which is sadly dead.

TheMan

Pokémon- I was already in high school when the craze came to America and I fancied myself as being too old for that shit. Nearly 25 years later I’ve played a couple of hours of Pokémon go cause it was free and that’s it.

thief183

I see a lot of posto of games that ppl don't like not of games that ppl don't care.

I don't like Spiderman that doesn't mean I don't care. But you know reading compreantion is hard.

Btw frachise that I don't care:

The last of Us
Halo
nioh (This is a strange one cause I can't realize the moment when I started to hate and then ingore it completely... after 200 hours with the first one)

All the other I'm at least curious to know how they are even if I don't like them. for this 3 I don't care at all.

thief183

Any battle royales (PUBG, Fortnite, Apex Legends, etc.), MOBAs (LoL, Dota, etc.), MMOs (WoW, etc.)
Any realistic racing games (Forza, Gran Turismo, etc.)
Any strategy games (Civilization, Starcraft, Warcraft, X-COM, etc.)
Assassin's Creed (I haven't cared since AC3)
Battlefield
Borderlands
Call of Duty (Lost interest after a few of them. Black Ops 2 was the last one I played)
Destiny
Dragon Quest
Dynasty Warriors (and their ilk)
Fire Emblem
Gears of War (I was good after the original trilogy)
Halo
Kingdom Hearts
Minecraft
Most fighting games (Mortal Kombat, Tekken, etc.)
*Most sports games (FIFA, Madden, MLB The Show, NBA 2K, etc.)
Overwatch
Pokémon
Sonic
Tales of
**Tom Clancy games

* Golf, and the returning College Football, are the only ones that would still interest me at this point.
** Except for Splinter Cell, which is sadly dead.

I'm kinda curious to know what you play :p

Carna

Banned
I'll list these off with either hate/indifference/tired of:

Mario - Hate/tired of
Castlevania - indifference
God of War - hate
Gears of War - hate
Uncharted - indifference
Crash Bandicoot - indifference
Resident Evil post-re4 - hate
Last of us 1 - indifference
Batman games - tired of
Kirby - tired of
Fire Emblem - indifference/tired of
Metal Gear - tired of
Fortnite - tired of
Persona - indifference
SMT - tired of
Pokemon - tired of
Bioshock - hate
Western franchises - hate/tired of
Otaku-weeb Japanese games - tired of
Sonic Mania/2010s Sonic games - hate/tired of
Monster Collecting RPGS that aren't Pokemon - tired of
Edgy/Mature games - hate/tired of
Indie pixel games - hate/tired of
Indie games - hate/tired of
Ubisoft open world games - tired of
Rayman besides 2 - indifference
Shooters that aren't Halo - tired of
Shooters that aren't from the 90s - indifference/tired of
WRPGS - indifference
Yoko Taro games - indifference/tired of
Platinum games - tired of/hate
Devil May Cry - indifference/tired of
Capcom games that don't have a colorful artstyle (Breath of Fire/Dark stalkers) - tired of
Yakuza - tired of
Sony platformer franchises besides Ape Escape and Jumping Flash - tired of
Call of duty - tired of
Marvel games - tired of

Annnnnnddddd that's all I can think of right now

Anything from this company:
tGDkDtl.png

Yeah, I know. I just sometimes which I would have started with children earlier, but then I Woolf have missed out a lot at that time. I think it also have a good side, once they are old enough, I have a huge backlog of pure gold.

Codes 208

You are full of anger. I wonder if there are actually any games you enjoy playing.
-from soft games (demondarkbloodekiro)
-zelda
-pokemon
-halo
-gears of war
-crash bandicoot
-spyro
-smash bros
-discovered a love for smaller steam games like phasmophobia
-monster hunter world
-Star Wars battlefront
-sonic (classic up to generations. Barring 2006)

I mean, there’s a lot more games I like than hate. I just think a lot of games that gaf praises to the ends of the earth (like yakuza, bayonetta, final fantasy) are overrated.

reinking

Gold Member
LOL. “Black Flag was good and I spent 140 hours playing a game that after I beat it, decided I didn’t like it. Therefore I don’t give a fuck about said franchise.”
Not exactly. I spent 140+ hours in a game before I beat it only to not like the ending. So... ..yeah, reading what is there instead of projecting what you want to see.

* If I had said that I only played 20 hours of it would you be saying I didn't give it a chance? Playing and beating two games out of the entire franchise I believe gives me enough experience to give MY opinion. I doubt I ever purchase another one. They drag on too long for me to enjoy if I want to complete side stuff along the way.

Last edited:
I'm kinda curious to know what you play :p
Mostly single-player focused games. My favorite genres are action-adventures, survival horror, stealth, immersive sims, FPS, platformers, Metroidvanias, character-action.

Series I do like: Batman Arkham, Bayonetta, Bioshock, Castlevania, Dead Space, Deus Ex, Devil May Cry, Donkey Kong, Doom, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Far Cry, Fatal Frame, Final Fantasy, God of War, GTA, Half-Life, Hitman, The Last of Us, The Legend of Zelda, Mario, Metal Gear, Metroid, Portal, Rayman, Smash Bros., Silent Hill, Soulsborne, Splinter Cell, System Shock, Thief, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Wolfenstein, Yakuza.

Anything not in either list I'm pretty ambivalent towards. Animal Crossing and Monster Hunter are two that would have been in my "don't give a fuck about" list a few years ago, but I gave AC:NH and MH:World a shot and really liked both.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Smash
Animal Crossing
CoD, Though I got the lastest one for free and plan to try it.
Souls games
Death Stranding (assuming there will be more, if not then all non MGS Kojima shit after wasting 5 hours on that shit)
Anything online multiplayer centric.

Hudo

Anything from Sony first-party these days. What they put out is just not interesting. Except for Ghost of Tsushima, which was fucking great.

The Alien

Banned
  • Final Fantasy
  • Battlefield
  • Civilization/Age of Empires
This is my list....but Im cool with people having different tastes and enjoying different things than me.

Franchises peddling "Cinematic Experiences"

If I want to play a story-driven game I'll play an actual RPG. If I want to watch cinematics movies typically do a better job telling better stories in less time.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Not exactly. I spent 140+ hours in a game before I beat it only to not like the ending. So... ..yeah, reading what is there instead of projecting what you want to see.

* If I had said that I only played 20 hours of it would you be saying I didn't give it a chance? Playing and beating two games out of the entire franchise I believe gives me enough experience to give MY opinion. I doubt I ever purchase another one. They drag on too long for me to enjoy if I want to complete side stuff along the way.
Wild. The ending was the best part IMO. Best ending to any AC, actually

Top Bottom