• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Popular gaming franchises you don't give a f*ck about

kyussman

I'm surprised to see the big Nintendo games coming up so much in this thread...I expected to see PlayStation and Xbox ones but I thought everyone loved Nintendo,especially in the US....thought I would be the only one with zero interest in their stuff.
I'm from the UK and grew up in the 80's with home computer gaming(yay for Commodore.....fuck Spectrum,lol.....yea,system wars were a thing then too)and Nintendo just wasn't a thing for me and my friends....PlayStation was my first proper home console and I've continued to find their game far more interesting over the years.

Assassin's Creed
Ubisoft AAA stuff in general because I just got enough of them after Black Flag and FC4

Battle royal games
PC nerdy stuff (Blizzard, Dota)
Japanese school girl anime smash square shit
Fifa, NHL etc.
Animal Cross
Pokemon

Mobile games

Last edited:

Silvawuff

Almost any AAA title from any major publisher. Give me those sweet indies with an occasional offering from Ninty.

Go back to any AAA titles that looked interesting when you can buy them stupid cheap, fully patched, with all the DLC that should have been part of the base game anyway.

Fbh

Animal Crossing: Just not for me.
Fortnite: Only played a bit but I hate the building stuff.
Monster Hunter: Grind the videogame, and I hate grinding heavy games.
Diablo: Same as above.
MMO's in general: It's like an RPG except online only, with way more grinding, with everything taking longer and the best ones have a monthly fee.
Smash Bros: It's a decent party game but that's it. I find "pro" play of it boring, and currently if you want to own the whole thing it's like $120.
Pokemon: Might care again if there's ever an attempt to turn it into the top tier current gen experience it should be instead of the basic mid tier Ps2 RPG it currently is. Doubt that will happen anytime soon though.

Last edited:

peronmls

Mario games and Pokémon games. I had my fill when I was younger but I cannot believe this stuff is still going and the Pokemon devs are still stuck in the past.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Not exactly. I spent 140+ hours in a game before I beat it only to not like the ending. So... ..yeah, reading what is there instead of projecting what you want to see.

* If I had said that I only played 20 hours of it would you be saying I didn't give it a chance? Playing and beating two games out of the entire franchise I believe gives me enough experience to give MY opinion. I doubt I ever purchase another one. They drag on too long for me to enjoy if I want to complete side stuff along the way.
So, you liked the game before the ending? If so, then I don't think that example supports your opinion of the franchise.

And if you didn't like the game all because of the ending after spending 140 hours, then I'm not sure what to say. If I played and liked a game for that long just to not like the ending, it wouldn't have put me off an entire franchise. But, then again, I don't have any standards for video game stories. I played lots of games that I loved and couldn't tell you anything about the story.

e&e

Banned
Animal Crossing
Fortnite
Anything sports
Minecraft
GTA
Souls games
Halo
Most EA games
Sim racers (Forza, GT)
New God Of Wars (😐)
Call of Duty
Anything MOBA

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
So, you liked the game before the ending? If so, then I don't think that example supports your opinion of the franchise.

And if you didn't like the game all because of the ending after spending 140 hours, then I'm not sure what to say. If I played and liked a game for that long just to not like the ending, it wouldn't have put me off an entire franchise. But, then again, I don't have any standards for video game stories. I played lots of games that I loved and couldn't tell you anything about the story.
OP asked about a franchise. IMO, after completing two games of twelve for console release it gives me a pretty good opinion of how I feel about the franchise. I doubt I ever purchase another chasing dot simulator. Not sure why you seem to be taking it so personal. If you enjoy the franchise, enjoy.

Gifmaker

A big one for me is Final Fantasy. It should be right up my ally, as a very japanese RPG with complex stories, great characters and such... But I could just never get into any one of them, though I tried on SNES and DS alike. Just not my cup of tea, and at this point after what feels about two dozen games, I think the opportunity to dive into the franchise and enjoy it has pretty much passed.

Warablo

I used to love Halo and Gears, now I don't really care about them. Don't care for Uncharted either. The new formula of AC games are trash also. The Dark Soul games are kinda meh too, like give it rest already.

Final Fantasy

Last edited:

Traxtech

Zelda, but I think I'm bias as I grew up with Sega. Probably missed out on some gems so maybe one day if I have time I'll play them

truth411

For me it's:

- Castlevania
- Super Smash Bros

how bout dat GIF
-Red Dead Games.
-Call of Duty.
Are So Overrated...

Last edited:

Yoda

The Last Of Us (have played the first game)
Uncharted (Played half of 1 and all of 2)
Animal Crossing (gf loves it, I managed a few hours)
Fortnite
LoL
Dota
Spiderman

Animal Crossing
Pokemon
All COD games
Battlefield
Rainbow Six
FIFA
NBA 2k
Madden
Destiny 1 and 2
WOW or any mmorpg really
Fortnite
Overwatch

Basically any game that requires you to play all the time or to spend a bunch extra in order to have fun with it. If you looked at my list you would probably assume that I dislike fps games, but I love the Halo and Titanfall games, so it more comes down to games that are easy to pick up and get into whenever without feeling obligated. I also used to love sports games, but they are so nerfed if you refuse to spend extra that I can't enjoy them anymore

Hugare

Anything Ubisoft

They were once one hell of a developer: AC 2, Far Cry 2-3, Splinter Cell, PoP and much more

But now, all their games are made by committee. They have no vision or heart, are overstuffed with meaningless shit to do and etc.

And lately, Nintendo.

First party support is a mess, and has been for a good while. Bunch of $60 ports and no big productions on the horizon.

NinjaBoiX

Minecraft - it’s not granular enough, the blocks are TOO big. “Here’s my house, it’s like 20 cubes stacked up.” I don’t get it.

Animal Crossing - tedious busywork wrapped up in sickly sweet graphics. Couldn’t be less appealing to me.

Pokemon - just no.

I have a strange relationship to gaming. I watch many gaming related content, visiting neogaf multiple times daily and when I think about, what I really care about is:
GTA. From GTA 1 to GTA V, it always was THE game for me and if they would make some kind of subscription service, that would get me monthly new original and well written singleplayer content for GTA for 10$/month, I would do that :D

So most of the time, I', consuming informations about games, I don't really care :D I don't care for fantasy or the middle age or scifi or super heroes or sports .. I just want to drive with cool cars around a interesting world in present time, which also makes interesting stuff without my interaction.

I don't like Watch Dogs, Sleeping Dogs and I'm afraid, that I don't even like Cyberpunk. To futuristic :D
Driver was good (for it's time at least, the story is awful). And The Getaway. But it seems, for my taste, there is only one game per decade ..

RoadHazard

Gold Member
COD
Dota
LoL
Apex
Fortnite
FIFA

The list goes on and on. Basically all popular MP franchises except for Rocket League.

RGB'D

Persona (I got a vita and this site told me a persona 4 Golden game was some sort of revelation and I played it and played it and played it and finally searched online to see when the game got good... realized it was already supposed to be and put that shit down)

GTA (Vice city was great And I loved the top down games before 3D but no interest in anything since)

Demonsoul/Bloodeborne/Seikiro (I do get the allure, but I want a game to feel fun and I have never gotten that from this genre. Feelings of accomplishment yes, but fun... no)

TLOU (first game was an amazing experience in a lot of ways but the core gameplay did little for me and after beating it, nothing was left. The story felt over and i never even bothered with TLOU II)

Fighting games (I think I just outgrew this genre... used to love it as a kid but my tastes changed as I grew)

Assasins creed- with the exception of black flag, the franchise does nothing for me.

Call of Duty- used to be a mainstay in the MW/MWII era but the franchise has been dead to me for a very long time.

Myths

Thread went from specific franchises to complete genres.

and I might as well add to it so anything sports, 99% of FPS and/or driving sims just count me out. Add in the 5 most popular online battle royale MP games too. Whatever they’re called.

Tales series, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, ... don’t care. KH, don’t care (only liked the gameplay in BBS). I love CT yet can’t stand anything about DQ.

Last edited:

ShigeruMiyamoto

Neo Member
Monster Hunter
Final Fantasy
Minecraft
Fortnite
Anything Warriors
Anything Manager
Sports games
Fire Emblem, most turn-based or tactical JRPGs
Uncharted
Last of Us
Metal Gear
Battlefield
Tomb Raider
Kingdom Hearts
Red Dead
Gran Turismo, Forza
Mortal Kombat, Tekken, non-Smash fighting games
Civilization, Age of Empires

Wow, a lot more than I expected.

Last edited:

cromofo

All of Sony, all of Nintendo, Final Fantasy and anything Japanese-looking

I'm most partial to eastern(euro) games. Like Metro, STALKER, KCD etc.

Last edited:

Old Empire.

Mass effect. Never played them thinking of buying the remasters, though.
God of war on PS4. Found it boring when i played it for an hour.
Halo never played on 360. Though recently played the master collection on PC. Finished two games on it. Skipped it for all time it was out.
Fortnite- don't like cartoony games.

Top Bottom