• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible eruption in Icelandic volcano could stop air traffic in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chittagong

Gold Member
fuck-this-and-this.gif

I'm supposed to fly to Greenland via Iceland on Thursday.

I have a Facebook friend who is a freelance flight attendant and she is currently in Iceland. Hope this doesn't hurt anyone if it goes off.

Strax

I have a Facebook friend who is a freelance flight attendant and she is currently in Iceland. Hope this doesn't hurt anyone if it goes off.

If you are going to be in country with volcano and earthquakes Iceland is maybe the safest place, everybody knows what to do and don't fuck around.

Wasteman

Banned
racist gaf out in full force in this thread

There fucking jokes for god-sake. I worry for how PC it's gonna get if these jokes are considered in anyway offensive. Also Icelandic people aren't a race.

OT: I hope this doesn't affect my holiday to Croatia, or visiting my grandparents in France. Would be a nightmare.

Strax

A magnitude 4.0 earthquake hit in Bárðarbunga volcano at around 11:00 am this morning. The earthquake was at a depth of 3 km, which is much shallower than most of the other earthquakes in the area in recent days. Two other earthquakes, of magnitude 3.8, also occurred in the volcano before midday, ruv.is reports.

According to the Iceland Met Office, the latest earthquakes do not necessarily mean that an eruption is imminent.

Seismic activity in the area has been ongoing since Saturday morning. The immediate area has been evacuated and roads closed.

LINK

Small eruption has started. At the moment its under the glacier and just a minor event. No need to panic.

23rd August 2014 14:10 - a small eruption under Dyngjujökull

A small lava-eruption has been detected under the Dyngjujökull glacier.
The Icelandic Coast Guard airplane TF-SIF is flying over the area with representatives from the Civil Protection and experts from the Icelandic Met Office and the Institute of Earth Sciences. Data from the equipment on board is expected later today.
Data from radars and web-cameras is being received, showing no signs of changes at the surface.
The estimate is that 150-400 meters of ice is above the area.
The aviation color code for the Bárðarbunga volcano has been changed from orange to red.

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/articles/nr/2947

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom