• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iceland issues Bardarbunga volcano red alert

Status
Not open for further replies.
_77133774_cj8dl8px.jpg

Iceland has issued a red alert to the aviation industry for the Bardarbunga volcano, meaning significant ash emissions are likely.

The Icelandic Met Office has warned that a small sub-glacial eruption is under way at Bardarbunga.

On Wednesday, authorities evacuated an area close to the volcano over fears it could erupt.

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull volcano erupted in 2010, producing an ash cloud that severely disrupted air travel.

The red alert is the highest warning on the country's five-point scale.

Bardarbunga is part of a large volcano system hidden beneath the 500-metre (0.31-mile) thick Vatnajokull glacier in central Iceland.

Authorities have previously warned that any eruption in the volcano, which sits under an ice cap, could result in flooding of the area north of the glacier.

Wednesday's evacuation of several hundred people from the area came after geologists said about 300 earthquakes had been detected in the area since midnight on Tuesday.

The region, located more than 300km (190 miles) from the capital Reykjavik, has no permanent residents but sits within a national park popular with tourists.

The Eyjafjallajokull eruption in April 2010 caused the largest closure of European airspace since World War Two, with losses estimated at between 1.5bn and 2.5bn euros (£1.3-2.2bn).

Criticism following the strictly enforced shutdown resulted in the UK's Civil Aviation Authority relaxing its rules to allow planes to fly in areas with a low density of volcanic ash.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28913165

I read a news story the other day they registered over 1000 earthquakes in a 24 hour period. This thing's eruption's going to be crazy.

AdanVC

Just finished reading this... Doesn't look good at all. But let's just hope this could happen if it ends up doing an eruption:

1) The magma may well stop moving and the quakes die down. Let's hope so! :)
2) Even if it erupts, huge volcanoes more often give smaller eruptions than their largest ones (although it'd still be a major event).

So let's hope for the best and not worry too much. But this is something people should keep an eye on - even if you don't live in Iceland!

Kinvara

Geez. A friend is about to go to Iceland for vacation in like a week. Crap timing.

I hope all you Icelanders are safe and that the volcano doesn't cause you any trouble or serious damage to property.

Stay safe!

Tugatrix

Geez. A friend is about to go to Iceland for vacation in like a week. Crap timing.

I hope all you Icelanders are safe and that the volcano doesn't cause you any trouble or serious damage to property.

Stay safe!

In Iceland live 300k persons on that enormous island, they are all safe. As for Europe we get the ash cloud and no flights for days or weeks

okno

Is there even an Iceland-GAF?

Sound off and be safe!

Right here! I can answer any and all questions you may have!

Edit: I should mention that I don't live there anymore. But all of my family is in Iceland. They're all pretty nervous about this one.

Edit: I should mention that I don't live there anymore. But all of my family is in Iceland. They're all pretty nervous about this one.

Do you guys really look down on us fellow Scandinavians for abandoning old Norse?

How much exactly is this dangerous for Europe? Aside the fact that flights are maybe going to be off for weeks, is it going to affect states other than Iceland itself?

okno

Do you guys really look down on us fellow Scandinavians for abandoning old Norse?

Nah, but we do have a great deal of pride in regards to that. It's pretty fun to tell people in America that I speak Viking.

Kabouter said:
Do you believe in elves?

Not really. A lot of people do, but most people realize it's a bit silly at this point. Still, weird things tend to happen every so often and the only explanation is elves.

Stay safe Iceland!

Is it true that you guys have cloned bjork?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom