• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible huge pricing error at Gamestop.com | 2 Series S for the price of 1

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Buy one get one free on the Series S is an amazing deal, but I'd argue it's not too good to be true nor an obvious mistake. These systems have been in stock for ages, and we even heard reports a few months back that they were not selling anywhere near as well as expected. Microsoft could very easily have agreed to offset the cost of this deal if it meant getting more Xbox systems into households this xmas before the PS5 gets back in stock.

Secondly, Gamestop had every right to "cancel" the deal and orders - but if they were too slow to react and the consoles are being shipped, then they need to either intercept or honour the deal. I'm 99.9% sure it's illegal to increase the cost of an order after the transaction has completed and the order is already being delivered, technically they can do it due to the way they charge cards, but the only way they could do this that would hold up in court is if they are confident users DID get shown the correct price, at least somewhere, before placing the order. i.e. if the receipt says the correct price. If that isn't the case then they are fucked and congrats on your second underpowered console.

We've not seen a single person show a picture of these orders yet, nor has a payment actually cleared for the additional amount - so who knows what's going to happen. My guess is a minority of users get both, most get one and a voucher saying sorry.

It was never listed that you get an XSS for free or heavily discounted. The folks adding a second XSS to their orders KNEW that this was a listing error because the actual promo isn't for the XSS.

kiphalfton

The back and forth is absolutely stupid. If you're on the opposite side saying it's wrong, you sound like a righteous prick. If you're on the side trying to rationalize why it's okay, it sounds like you're trying to validate why you did what you did.

We all have our opinion but this is turning into nonsensical arguments at this point. Specifically about what is legal/illegal, which unless you have credentials backing up what you're saying (i.e. you're a lawyer/etc.), is absolutely meaningless.

Besides, trying to change somebody's opposing opinion is near impossible, as generally speaking people make up their mind before hand and aren't just going to concede. So really no point arguing.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The back and forth is absolutely stupid. If you're on the opposite side saying it's wrong, you sound like a righteous prick.

I don't think it's wrong; I'm all for consumers getting deals and I've done this before and I'll do it again (in other areas of gaming). I think it hilarious (as I mentioned in my first post) that people who tried to take advantage of a listing error are now crying foul if they were charged the correct price for the XSS bundle (that they can't return because it contains a digital item).

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I don't think it's wrong; I'm all for consumers getting deals and I've done this before and I'll do it again (in other areas of gaming). I think it hilarious (as I mentioned in my first post) that people who tried to take advantage of a listing error are now crying foul if they were charged the correct price for the XSS bundle (that they can't return because it contains a digital item).
They can. Return the XSS and keep the Fortnite XSS Bundle. What happened is shitty to charge full price when they should have cancelled the order. People bitching will get a refund when they return that console.

Everyone affected tried to scam because of a glitch so it's hard to feel sympathy. The funniest part is posters went from 2 XSS consoles to not even wanting one.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Nobody is crying foul for being charged the correct price. The people crying foul are doing so because they're being overcharged. Only one person mentioned not being able to return it because of digital items that I'm aware of. Where are all of these people that you insist are complaining for being charged the correct price?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Nobody is crying foul for being charged the correct price. The people crying foul are doing so because they're being overcharged. Only one person mentioned not being able to return it because of digital items that I'm aware of. Where are all of these people that you insist are complaining for being charged the correct price?

I've seen one person with a legit complaint of being overcharged and that's the person who is getting charged three XSS's for the price of two. Everything else has been some convoluted way of GS trying to price out two XSS's if they didn't outright cancel the order which is what my post said.

The back and forth is absolutely stupid. If you're on the opposite side saying it's wrong, you sound like a righteous prick. If you're on the side trying to rationalize why it's okay, it sounds like you're trying to validate why you did what you did.

We all have our opinion but this is turning into nonsensical arguments at this point. Specifically about what is legal/illegal, which unless you have credentials backing up what you're saying (i.e. you're a lawyer/etc.), is absolutely meaningless.

Besides, trying to change somebody's opposing opinion is near impossible, as generally speaking people make up their mind before hand and aren't just going to concede. So really no point arguing.

This is true yes. Right now the only thing everyone can probably agree on is the overwhelming irony of these people trying to fuck gamestop and instead gamestop is fucking them.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This is true yes. Right now the only thing everyone can probably agree on is the overwhelming irony of these people trying to fuck gamestop and instead gamestop is fucking them.
I'll know Friday who has the last laugh.

Patrick Plotting GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Legit though, I dont think many are angry here. Its just such a backwards ass way GS is handling this and its not going to work out in their favor. My CC really doesn't ask questions when it comes to chargebacks. I had an issue with an automatic payment that was supposed to be stopped and they literally didn't ask anything in terms of proof. Perhaps it wont work out that way in the future and I am fool for thinking it, but there is a mountain of evidence GS will lose in this case and suffer chargebacks even if people return their consoles because they didn't get one over on GS by the way they are handling this issue.

They are charging people for things they either didn't order or simply make no sense.

Last edited:
i've got my 1. and then got another $50 charge for the 3 month gamepass ultimate i assume. Even tho i was emailed and told the gamepass will be free of charge. And that email said they were cancelling the other xbox. Yet i have another Xbox thats been shipped. and is moving its way closer to me...to be here wednesday?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Got one of them delivered today :

eVwCsPy.jpg

Also, my other box got updated shipment info via fedex. So it is actually en route now and currently at a fedex facility. Should be coming Thursday. Also, no additional charges/etc it seems.
i've got my 1. and then got another $50 charge for the 3 month gamepass ultimate i assume. Even tho i was emailed and told the gamepass will be free of charge. And that email said they were cancelling the other xbox. Yet i have another Xbox thats been shipped. and is moving its way closer to me...to be here wednesday?
Whats yalls shipping weight on the other box?

shoplifter

We arent yet. Nobody has gotten a second box yet to my knowledge.

I have one scheduled for delivery tomorrow currently at the Fedex depot near my house, and a third in my order awaiting pickup.

edit: This is in addition to the vanilla XSS delivered yesterday

Last edited:
even if i get the 2nd xbox wednesday. It wont be time to celebrate. Because if Gamestop can charge my Paypal $50 after the fact, without my permission. Im sure they can charge me for the xbox afterwards

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
even if i get the 2nd xbox wednesday. It wont be time to celebrate. Because if Gamestop can charge my Paypal $50 after the fact, without my permission. Im sure they can charge me for the xbox afterwards
You can turn off this ability through Paypal I am pretty sure. Even still, Id take it up with paypal and show your order and the total.

kiphalfton

I'm a SD veteran son!

Nice! Looks like I'm among my people.

This kind of thing is par for the course on SD. They intentionally get annoyed with people when they put "price mistake" in a thread, as it triggers everybody's deal alerts lol.

Go under Settings > Payments > Manage Automatic Payments and then from there just click "Show Active" (under Automatic Payments), click on the retailer, and click "Cancel" on the one that's for GameStop.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Nice! Looks like I'm among my people.

This kind of thing is par for the course on SD. They intentionally get annoyed with people when they put "price mistake" in a thread, as it triggers everybody's deal alerts lol.

Go under Settings > Payments > Manage Automatic Payments and then from there just click "Show Active" (under Automatic Payments), click on the retailer, and click "Cancel" on the one that's for GameStop.
SD has been an amazing and extremely stupid venture for me. I buy shit i dont need and get deals on the shit I do want. So in the end...I probably end up even.

But I digress. Back to one of the now 33 movies I bought this year that I definitely, definitely did not need.

MrA

Banned
It was never listed that you get an XSS for free or heavily discounted. The folks adding a second XSS to their orders KNEW that this was a listing error because the actual promo isn't for the XSS.
that's true, no one should expect to receive anything, but 2 wrongs don't make a right, gamestops handling of the error has been terrible,
cancel both and refund, fine
contact with explanation and offer to complete the correct promotion or cancel fine,
many absolutely fine solutions, but only shipping the full price item or the multiple charges shinanigans, not fine

Antwix

Whats yalls shipping weight on the other box?
My other box that's in transit via fedex says it has a weight of 4.1 lbs, while the one that got delivered today had a weight of 9 lbs and came via UPS. My 9 pound fortnite bundle came straight from the main Gamestop warehouse in Texas while the other one is coming from some town in Nevada. Who knows if that means anything though cuz when I worked in a warehouse type environment years ago (and we actually used a corporate fedex account), the shipping weight could be way off and it never really mattered. Have to wait and see what happens. Also here's the return packing slip from mine if anyone's curious lol :

ENN46WP.jpg

shoplifter

Gamestop authed me for the same order as before (as if they added an item that wasn't ready to ship yet, and had previously only authed for the items that had shipped), I don't have any payment agreement with them.

besides the weird email. Saying they will cancel the extra xbox...and give me some freebies as consolation. Which, cool. No harm no foul. I can just return the 1 xbox. And i got a $10 giftcard and 3 months of GPU for my hassle.

But then to send a temp auth...for $50, days later. After i had already recieved the digital codes and the first xbox. And then after that, ship out the 2nd xbox that they said they cancelled. And to top it all off. They didn't even include a packing slip. So the GameStop chick told me they will have to see my confirmation email. And then call corporate (because its over $300)...for me to get a refund.

Best case scenario; i get the 2nd xbox thats only 1 state over now. And maybe just that $50 charge goes thru. worst case. I get 2 xboxes. They charge me again. This time full price. And i can't return them.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
My other box that's in transit via fedex says it has a weight of 4.1 lbs, while the one that got delivered today had a weight of 9 lbs and came via UPS. My 9 pound fortnite bundle came straight from the main Gamestop warehouse in Texas while the other one is coming from some town in Nevada. Who knows if that means anything though cuz when I worked in a warehouse type environment years ago (and we actually used a corporate fedex account), the shipping weight could be way off and it never really mattered. Have to wait and see what happens. Also here's the return packing slip from mine if anyone's curious lol :

ENN46WP.jpg
Whats your estimate date for second box? the 4.1?

shoplifter

Third unit no longer showing 'waiting for pickup', now showing delivered so they probably fixed whatever they did to mess that up and they aren't really shipping a third one, as that replaced the one that was delivered on the order.

Last edited:

shoplifter

What should I do? Nothing shipped, but I have the full charge on my card.

Is it still an authorization or has it settled? If they shipped nothing it should still be an authorization and drop off after a few more days.They can sometimes take 7 days to fall off your account.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
are the box dimensions the same as the first one u received?
Haven't gotten the first one yet. That's tomorrow but that one is the correct weight so I'm confident it's the fortnite bundle.

The 4.1 pound one has no dimensions on that stats page.

RareJordan

Surprisingly, the initial pending charge for $343.xx has dropped off. I still have a pending charge for $299 that they added after the fact when they added a 3rd mystery console to my order.

Meanwhile, the regular SS is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. The $10 Fortnite one has been "preparing to ship" for 2 days now. Even though I got the email saying they'd remove the price mistake console from my order.

The weirdest part is the tracking for the Xbox that's supposed to be delivered tomorrow only shows "awaiting carrier pickup" on the GS website.

I have no idea what's going on anymore.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Surprisingly, the initial pending charge for $343.xx has dropped off. I still have a pending charge for $299 that they added after the fact when they added a 3rd mystery console to my order.

Meanwhile, the regular SS is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. The $10 Fortnite one has been "preparing to ship" for 2 days now. Even though I got the email saying they'd remove the price mistake console from my order.

The weirdest part is the tracking for the Xbox that's supposed to be delivered tomorrow only shows "awaiting carrier pickup" on the GS website.

Just checked and mine indeed says waiting carrier pickup now.

What the duck is going on lol.

I wonder if they thought they caught it in time but they didn't?

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
What a nightmare, glad I didn’t jump on this

I browse slickdeals.net enough to know these sort of things tend to work out as you hoped about .01% of the time

99.99% of the time they just cause a major headache
Idk... I did end up cancelling and I got 3 months of GPU and a $10 coupon for free without much effort. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

shoplifter

Now my system that was delivered shows 'delivered' again and the one at the Fedex depot 5 miles away says 'awaiting pickup'.

RUq5eaR.gif

i re-read my email. It says they have to cancel the xbox with the incorrect price. Which would be the Fortnite bundle. But then at the end of the email it says "dont worry u will still receive ur Fornite xbox bundle.

i got this email after they had already delivered the first Xbox series S. And now they shipped the Fortnite bundle and its 2hrs away.

ReBurn

Gold Member

My initial charge settled for the original order amount and nothing has shipped. The website says that the bundle is preparing to ship. I'm going to call them tomorrow.

Top Bottom