• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible huge pricing error at Gamestop.com | 2 Series S for the price of 1

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I got an additional $299.99 charge. So all in all I paid $609.97.

Now the email that went out is saying they're going to remove "the incorrectly priced console from your order."

If so that means I will have essentially spent $609.97 for one fucking Xbox Series S and 3-months game pass ultimate. Best Black Friday deal hands down.:pie_eyeroll:

Gamestop needs to get their shit straight. This is NOT how you handle glitches.
Lol you are complaining about having a bit of a hassle from a glitch that you knew was wrong and were trying to take advantage of.. 🥴

Karma is a bitch sometimes

Last edited:

FrankWza

Lol you are complaining about having a bit of a hassle from a glitch that you knew was wrong and were trying to take advantage of.. 🥴

You don’t double down on a mistake though. You own up to it. You cancel everything and send one of those $10 bs codes that work on physical items only. Now they’re shipping order that will need to be returned and their lines will be inundated with calls. So instead of helping customers they are fixing a mistake they created and compounded by doubling down.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You're missing the people being told that the order can't be cancelled and then being hung up on.
I’m not missing anything.
A. Did you guys know you were taking advantage of a obvious mistake?

B. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. Lol

C. Mwahaha!!’ 😂🤣🤣🤣

TDiddyLive

I mean - it's pretty shitty if you have a "buy one, get one" sale and then cancel the free thing while still charging someone full price for the other. I believe that technically, that's fraud.
It's bait and switch. Can report them to the FTC for it.

Don’t be salty because you didn’t cash in on a mistake. The offer literally reads “Buy Xbox Series X or S Get 3 Months of Game Pass Ultimate $9.99.” It’s not bait and switch. It’s not buy one get one (no idea where that came from).

They corrected the orders to what the offer stated. If you’re not happy with that, return it.

The only legit complaints were people that charged full price for Game Pass or charged for an additional console.

ManaByte

They corrected the orders to what the offer stated. If you’re not happy with that, return it.

The only legit complaints were people that charged full price for Game Pass or charged for an additional console.

I was charged full price and shipped nothing, and received no email. So they stole my money.

They're also not allowing returns or cancellations.

Last edited:

FrankWza

It can’t be returned because there’s digital items involved. They’re shipping the bundle vs standard plus the additional item. They should have just canceled everything or set aside a number of stand consoles for 48 hours with a link for people to reorder.
Yes people tried to take advantage. But this is basically GameStop taking advantage right back which is dumb. Just cancel and reset. Now everyone wastes time.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If you’re not happy with that, return it.
I'd love to, but was told that my order couldn't be cancelled because "it contained digital items" (I'm guessing the Fortnite stuff?) to which I said "I didn't order any digital items". I said if it was too far along in the shipping process, they could either recall the item through the carrier or I would be happy to return it after I receive it. I was told I wouldn't be able to return the item, because it was a digital purchase.

I'm not salty because I wasn't able to take advantage of the deal, I'm salty because their handling of this has been terrible and their customer service wasted my time. I feel like my only recourse at this point is to contact my bank and either stop payment or charge back, so that's what I'm doing.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's bait and switch. Can report them to the FTC for it.
They didn't advertise buy one get one free Series S consoles, so it wasn't a bait and switch. Bait and switch only applies if they specifically advertise one thing and sell you another. It's also not illegal to not honor a pricing error. The FTC isn't going to do anything about this.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Most of the time companies have to honor pricing mistakes.
I don't doubt it's different where you are, but in my country it has been a precedence that large pricing errors comes under the same shit as when you buy something stolen; You should know better when something is too good to be true and thus the consumer have to take the hit or return the goods. But yes of course; when the prizing error is relatively low, the stores usually takes the hit, but not like in this scenario where there's two-for-one and hundreds of dollars worth of consumer electronics for free without so much as a fanfare promotion.

Last edited:

demigod

It's GameStop. Fuck them. Fuck them up their stupid asses.

I was charged full price and shipped nothing, and received no email. So they stole my money.

They're also not allowing returns or cancellations.

Seeing a 60 year old man rage because he isn’t getting a deal from a glitch is comedy gold. They didn’t steal your money, they will ship your shit out on Monday. Stop crying like a manchild.

Like who didn’t see this coming from GameStop, lol.

ManaByte

I'd love to, but was told that my order couldn't be cancelled because "it contained digital items" (I'm guessing the Fortnite stuff?) to which I said "I didn't order any digital items". I said if it was too far along in the shipping process, they could either recall the item through the carrier or I would be happy to return it after I receive it. I was told I wouldn't be able to return the item, because it was a digital purchase.

I'm not salty because I wasn't able to take advantage of the deal, I'm salty because their handling of this has been terrible and their customer service wasted my time. I feel like my only recourse at this point is to contact my bank and either stop payment or charge back, so that's what I'm doing.
Check This Out GIF

Antwix

Alright, so I checked up on my order status after reading all these posts and .....

60bR4cs.jpg

I think it went thru?

I checked my email to see if I got one of those "apology/mistake" emails from Gamestop but nope. To my surprise, I got an "Your order has shipped" email lol. Funny thing is, the fortnite bundle shipment has a weight of 9.5 pounds and the normal XSS shipment has a weight of 4.2 pounds. Maybe I'm getting some coal in my boxes. We shall see.

Good luck to everyone!

ReBurn

Gold Member
imma just wait until end of next week to see how this pans out. Worst case scenario I return a Series S and get 3 months GPU for free lmao
I'm not even worried. I'll just flip the console before Christmas. Or maybe I'll keep it. I've wanted a Series S to travel with.

AmuroChan

I don't doubt it's different where you are, but in my country it has been a precedence that large pricing errors comes under the same shit as when you buy something stolen; You should know better when something is too good to be true and thus the consumer have to take the hit or return the goods. But yes of course; when the prizing error is relatively low, the stores usually takes the hit, but not like in this scenario where there's two-for-one and hundreds of dollars worth of consumer electronics for free without so much as a fanfare promotion.

In my country, in certain cities you can steal up to $950 at any store and won't be arrested for it.

DaGwaphics

Alright, so I checked up on my order status after reading all these posts and .....

60bR4cs.jpg

I think it went thru?

I checked my email to see if I got one of those "apology/mistake" emails from Gamestop but nope. To my surprise, I got an "Your order has shipped" email lol. Funny thing is, the fortnite bundle shipment has a weight of 9.5 pounds and the normal XSS shipment has a weight of 4.2 pounds. Maybe I'm getting some coal in my boxes. We shall see.

Good luck to everyone!

I wonder what the boxed weight of an XSX is. Maybe you got really lucky.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I just got off the line with customer support and I told them I just wanted to cancel everything since the order hadn't shipped yet. They said they couldn't do anything until something ships and they have a tracking number, so now I really don't know what to expect.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I just got off the line with customer support and I told them I just wanted to cancel everything since the order hadn't shipped yet. They said they couldn't do anything until something ships and they have a tracking number, so now I really don't know what to expect.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Death. Obviously.

Antwix

I wonder what the boxed weight of an XSX is. Maybe you got really lucky.
You just never know with gamestop. I went to trade in my Xbox One S all digital version in-store almost a year ago when I got my XSX secured and the cashier gave me the trade-in value of a XSS instead. I didn't even realize until the transaction was done since I was just walking around the store while the guy was verifying everything.

Allforce

If anyone wants to part with an extra for half price (thereby each of us getting a S for 150-ish) DM me. GAF PLATINUM PREMIUM BUYER here, had tons of high dollar purchases with no complaints when we had an active B/S/T thread here.

Omali

People threatening to report them to the FTC are going to be in for a rude surprise when nothing happens, especially since what you're going to be complaining about wasn't even what was advertised. It's not illegal for them to correct the mistake and give you what was advertised.

As for the people suddenly getting charged the full price of the second console, that's absolutely something you should take action on.

Whats more surprising out of these thread and twitter.. how easily everyone was able to order not just one, but two Xbox Series S.

There’s zero chance people are able to order a PS5 digital (expecting TWO), then getting mad they are at least getting one. Or getting charged for two, and actually getting two. Then somehow bitch about it.

SegaShack

People threatening to report them to the FTC are going to be in for a rude surprise when nothing happens, especially since what you're going to be complaining about wasn't even what was advertised. It's not illegal for them to correct the mistake and give you what was advertised.

As for the people suddenly getting charged the full price of the second console, that's absolutely something you should take action on.
People added 2 consoles and ordered it. The company should cancel the entire order instead of whatever weirdness they are doing now.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Whats more surprising out of these thread and twitter.. how easily everyone was able to order not just one, but two Xbox Series S.

There’s zero chance people are able to order a PS5 digital (expecting TWO), then getting mad they are at least getting one. Or getting charged for two, and actually getting two. Then somehow bitch about it.
Pretty clear that MS was able to produce more xss. There is a good chance 75% of the xss sold this Christmas will be xss.

Pretty clear that MS was able to produce more xss. There is a good chance 75% of the xss sold this Christmas will be xss.
That would make sense of XSS is more profitable than XSX. Which I guess since all the games need to be purchased digitally, it is. If im not mistaken Sony took the opposite approach. There seems to be significantly less digital PS5s.
Cool bro, nobody asked.
Mom hasnt taken your Amazon Fire away yet?

SlimySnake

Seeing a 60 year old man rage because he isn’t getting a deal from a glitch is comedy gold. They didn’t steal your money, they will ship your shit out on Monday. Stop crying like a manchild.

Like who didn’t see this coming from GameStop, lol.
“Everyone wants an xss, no body wants an xss. “ Paul Mooney- Chappelle Show

The only weird thing is no concistency.
Normal those errors are dealt with the same for everyone.

Here some just got the cheaper one.
Some got both at the reduced price.
Other just get the normal price console.
And one group even got 2 but for a different price than during checkout authorized

Soooo weird.
I'm sorry for the mess

SlimySnake

That would make sense of XSS is more profitable than XSX. Which I guess since all the games need to be purchased digitally, it is. If im not mistaken Sony took the opposite approach. There seems to be significantly less digital PS5s.

Mom hasnt taken your Amazon Fire away yet?
None of these consoles are profitable. Especially not with the chip shortage undoubtedly raising prices.

It’s about profit margins or loss margins in this case. The xsx is likely losing them more money than the xss. It’s also not going to make them as much money as a digital only console would in the long run.

Besides, the entire reason for the xss was to get the casual soccer mom during the holiday season who knows fuck all about tflops. I wouldn’t be surprised if ms prioritized development of the xss over the xsx for this holiday season.

You just never know with gamestop. I went to trade in my Xbox One S all digital version in-store almost a year ago when I got my XSX secured and the cashier gave me the trade-in value of a XSS instead. I didn't even realize until the transaction was done since I was just walking around the store while the guy was verifying everything.
Seriously. I may be getting two XSX because of a mistake on their end.

I ordered one through All Access and cancelled because it looked like Best Buy had one local, which turned out it was an error. Reordered and now I have two shipments even though the first order was cancelled.

Fully expecting them to charge me for the one I cancelled but who knows.

Last edited:

GHG

What I'm I'm finding even more odd is the fact that very few people seem to even want the one console now that the error has been corrected.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
There is a good chance 75% of the xss sold this Christmas will be xss.
What?

What I'm I'm finding even more odd is the fact that very few people seem to even want the one console now that the error has been corrected.
I would imagine people who aren't really interested in a PlayStation or Switch might still bite if they thought they could get it for $10...

kiphalfton

Yeeeaaah this isn't karma. Nice attempt at trying to stir the pot there bud.

Im guessing some got shipped before they were able to catch it and this was their solution.

I believe that is how they decided to "handle" the situation.

Companies can't charge after the fact. This was their mistake, and they could have easily either cancelled the order or chock it up as a loss. Nothing stopped them from cancelling the xbox that didn't ship, but to charge an additional $300 is absolutely asinine.

It's not worth $300 imo. My buy price is $200 or less, which this essentially equated out to.

Last edited:
Top Bottom