• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pregnant woman ran down a fleeing man 'who stole purse from her car' in Walmart

Or you just don't believe that they wouldn't drive over someone with a car for stealing their property? I'm bit confused what you are trying to argue here.

I'm sorry you kind of lost me here. I don't think most normal human beings will run over someone with a car for stealing their property.

Not wrong but your comments are still just as repulsing.

Maybe you need to brush up on your English? I never said anything about bystanders.

.JayZii

Banned
No jury on the planet would convict her of attempted murder. Maybe the gaf moral high ground tribunal. But that's about it.
Whether she's convicted of it or not, that's literally what she did. Letter of the law, she used excessive deadly force.

What if a guy ran down a woman who had stolen his wallet with his SUV? Does that change things for you?

You don't think most people value their material possessions over randoms?

Have fun living in your delusional dream world then, let me know how world peace is.

I think people who aren't slightly sociopathic don't.

If I defend myself against a robber, it's because I think he might harm me or another person. If he's running away with my PS4 I don't get into my car and run him down to get my PS4 back. If I see a random person and my PS4 about to be run over by a train, I would save the random person not my PS4.

The fact that you think that is normal behavior and everybody thinks like you do says a lot about you. The fact that this even has to be pointed out to you says a lot about you.

Budi

I'm sorry you kind of lost me here. I don't think most normal human beings will run over someone with a car for stealing their property.

Maybe you need to brush up on your English? I never said anything about bystanders.
Sure this is why I was asking that what is your point? You keep repeating that often people are selfish, why so? People are saying that driving over someone with a car for theft is mental and you are talking about starving children. For what reason?

Nipo

This thread is reading like a good way for me to explain the differences between lawful and chaotic good to a friend. Thanks GAF

Sure this is why I was asking that what is your point? You keep repeating that often people are selfish, why so? People are saying that driving over someone with a car for theft is mental and you are talking about starving children. For what reason?

Fuck man I don't know.

. If I see a random person and my PS4 about to be run over by a train, I would save the random person not my PS4.

No, you wouldn't save either. You wouldn't fuck with a train.

MJLord

I think people who aren't slightly sociopathic don't.

If I defend myself against a robber, it's because I think he might harm me or another person. If he's running away with my PS4 I don't get into my car and run him down to get my PS4 back. If I see a random person and my PS4 about to be run over by a train, I would save the random person not my PS4.

The fact that you think that is normal behavior and everybody thinks like you do says a lot about you. The fact that this even has to be pointed out to you says a lot about you.

I get where he's coming from in a way, If this guy had just ran off the police would have gone through the motions and nothing would come of it. Where's the justice in that.

Doesn't make it right or moral though but I find the instinct to do something even if a little excessive to ensure the person is put in front of a police officer understandable.

Kthulhu

Why are there so many people in this thread defending the rights of criminals? If he had the audacity to steal from a pregnant woman in the first place, he probably was a cunt anyway. So a thief got injured. Boohoo.

The same reason I'd defend any other group's rights.

Why are you trying to justify a crime?

hokahey

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Most people have worked their fingers to the bone for what they have. Don't be surprised when they snap and try to kill for trying to steal it from them.

The real lesson here is that you shouldn't go around fucking with people. Do you want to break into someone's car and steal their stuff. Crazy, right?

Well, little do you know that the person you're messing with is even crazier and more irrational than you. That person truly resents this petty affront of yours, and is willing to run you the fuck over.

I think it is a mistake to assume that the other party in your conflict is more reasonable than you are. I think you're better off leaving people alone and not trying to steal their stuff. Or, you might find out that they have more drama than you.

So, the random people whose lives and well being you don't value more than your bike, they're not bystanders ?

The money I spent on my motorcycle just because I think it's pretty could have been used to help so many people. So by definition I value owning that bike more than the well being of randoms. That doesn't mean I'd kill or trade the life of a random innocent bystander or whatever you seem to be insinuating for it and I never said as much.

I'm trying to muster up the empathy to care about that dude... but I can't. Fuck thieves. I wouldn't try to straight up kill one like that, but I probably wouldn't get selected for the jury in this trial because I'd be totally biased against the "victim."

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No jury on the planet would convict her of attempted murder. Maybe the gaf moral high ground tribunal. But that's about it.

Unfortunately you're right. No jury would ever convict a pregnant white woman chasing down a thief even if it was with the front bumper of a '99 Ford.

But that doesn't make what she did any sorts of acceptable and even a local DA agrees she used excessive force.

Sean Devereux, an Asheville criminal defense attorney, said Braswell's actions are understandable but they likely would make it difficult to argue she acted in self-defense.

”You can't use deadly force in that incidence, unfortunately," Devereux said. ”It's pretty complicated, and there are all sorts of gradations on it, but in the moment you have to be threatened and you can't use excessive force."

.JayZii

Banned
I'm trying to muster up the empathy to care about that dude... but I can't. Fuck thieves. I wouldn't try to straight up kill one like that, but I probably wouldn't get selected for the jury in this trial because I'd be totally biased against the "victim."
They are both victims in this case. No need for air quotes.

I can't read through this whole thread but I am curious if the topic of hormones have been brought up. Being pregnant could potentially be enough for her to get a temporary insanity defense or something like that based on how much it can affect your hormones and such.

Why are there so many people in this thread defending the rights of criminals? If he had the audacity to steal from a pregnant woman in the first place, he probably was a cunt anyway. So a thief got injured. Boohoo.

Also, this post is fucking stupid. Why are people defending the rights of other human beings? Do I even need to justify that moron fuckwit statement with a response?

adamsapple

I can't read through this whole thread but I am curious if the topic of hormones have been brought up. Being pregnant could potentially be enough for her to get a temporary insanity defense or something like that based on how much it can affect your hormones and such.

Yes, brought up many times.

The money I spent on my motorcycle just because I think it's pretty could have been used to help so many people. So by definition I value owning that bike more than the well being of randoms. That doesn't mean I'd kill or trade the life of a random innocent bystander or whatever you seem to be insinuating for it and I never said as much.

Here's what you did say, though.

There's a big different between your person objects and random objects. And the life of someone who'd rob you and a random life.

I'd value my motorcycle over the life of someone who'd steal it anyday anytime for example.

But not a random motorcycle.

Not that I think I'd try to kill someone for attempting to steal my bike. But if I had to chose between them, it's an easy choice.

You said, although I'll allow you said it would be unlikely, but it's nonetheless not unthinkable that you would kill someone trying to steal your motorcycle. It would be "an easy choice."

In that instance if you were to make that not unthinkable choice, just as this woman made that choice as she chose to drive her car with the intent of hitting the thief with it as he was fleeing, you are the one posing the unlawful lethal threat, and not the thief. Someone else in that instance would be the one legally justified in killing you.

Aselith

Most people care about their own personal belongings than other random people's lives.

Or else we wouldn't have beggars on the streets or starving orphans and the world would be a utopia.

To say you're any different is delusion.

That's why we have laws tbh. To restrict people's selfishness so that it does not do harm to others.

identiy theft is one of the worst crimes one person must deal with.

having id stolen is a pain in the ass of trying to recover and save your identity from fraudsters

Not half as much of pain in the arse of being on an attempted murder charge though. It's a pain, but it's mostly solvable with a few phone calls and emails, depending on the severity.

Theonik

Not half as much of pain in the arse of being on an attempted murder charge though. It's a pain, but it's mostly solvable with a few phone calls and emails, depending on the severity.
She's on an assault misdemeanour. Story could have had a less nice ending though.

having id stolen is a pain in the ass of trying to recover and save your identity from fraudsters

She's not going to get her identity stolen if she literally sees her purse taken, unless he completely fails to take any steps to prevent it. Identity theft happens when your information is accessed without your knowledge.

You guys are grasping at some seriously thin straws now.

prag16

Banned

She's not being charged with attempted murder. She is being charged with misdemeanor assault.

The authorities are not stupid. They know attempted murder would never stick. Misdemeanor assault probably won't either, truthfully. Worst case scenario for her is probably pleading down to reckless endangerment or something like that.

She's not being charged with attempted murder. She is being charged with misdemeanor assault.

The authorities are not stupid. They know attempted murder would never stick. Misdemeanor assault probably won't either, truthfully.

Ah fair enough. I hadn't seen that. That's a stroke of luck for her. It could have gone the other way. There's no telling what damage you can cause deliberately running someone down. All it takes is the guy bumping his head and things can go south quickly. I'm sure it was a case of the red mist clouding judgement, but I still think she was bloody stupid.

adamsapple

It's not identity theft if you report it when you get freaking robbed ... also .. no .. even ID theft wouldn't justify attempted manslaughter lol.

I swear, people are jumping some real hoops trying to justify how the woman did absolutely nothing wrong here.

Lmao @ running over a person with an SUV somehow not being "excessive force". Some straight up out of touch edge lords up in here.

If you aren't evem going to bother fucking reading the words you're quoting, then don't bother quoting them.

Here's what I said again:

"...so long as you don't use more force than is necessary to retrieve what was stolen.

The only option this woman had to get her purse back was to do what she did."

You do know what "excessive" means, right? It means more than is necessary. She had no other option available to her if she wanted to get her purse back. Therefore I believe it shouldn't be considered excessive force, because the only way it can be considered as such is to say she should just let the thief take her purse. Which I think is bullshit, and is my whole point. It's not about "justice" or "the guy getting what he deserved". I believe that if you're the victim of theft, you shouldn't be penalised for taking the only opportunity you have to recover your stuff.

It's not identity theft if you report it when you get freaking robbed ... also .. no .. even ID theft wouldn't justify attempted manslaughter lol.

I swear, people are jumping some real hoops trying to justify how the woman did absolutely nothing wrong here.

I disagree, identity theft is one of the worst crimes one could do to another person

Rmagnus

Banned
If you aren't evem going to bother fucking reading the words you're quoting, then don't bother quoting them.

"...so long as you don't use more force than is necessary to retrieve what was stolen.

You do know what "excessive" means, right? It means more than is necessary. She had no other option available to her if she wanted to get her purse back. Therefore I believe it shouldn't be considered excessive force, because the only way it can be considered as such is to say she should just let the thief take her purse. Which I think is bullshit, and is my whole point. It's not about "justice" or "the guy getting what he deserved". I believe that if you're the victim of theft, you shouldn't be penalised for taking the only opportunity you have to recover your stuff.

Are you American? Do cops not exist in America?
So if she has a gun she shld shoot the thief? Human lives matter so little to you?

Aselith

It also means more than the loss justifies. Taking a life is still excessive over lost property.

adamsapple

Why is "pregnant" specified?

Go back a few pages, once almost each page someone is saying how its OK because the lady is pregnant and hormonal so its ok blah blah.

I disagree, identity theft is one of the worst crimes one could do to another person

But here's the thing, if you know your card/ID has been stolen and you report it, you won't be a victim of ID theft provided your county/state isnt completely incompetent.

I think in its worst form it can be, but mostly it's just an annoyance. I had some dick take out a couple of phone contracts in my name and it was a bitch to sort out, but when all was said and done, I didn't lose a penny other than the cost of a few phone calls. The majority of identity fraud is pretty small scale.

Meier

The thief 's defenders are saying "run over" because it sounds more egregious than "hit". Simple as that.

This is ridiculous. No one is defending the thief. To say what she did was wrong does not mean you think what he did was okay.

And the only reason she didn't "run over" him is because she hit a parking curb a moment before she plowed into him. She made no effort to stop at all and would have completely run over him if given the opportunity.

Top Bottom