• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREY reviews are in, critics love it

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

01.02 feral pred should be dead if grizzly bear continue his attack but plot armor saves the pred

Remember, she was running like she never ran before (almost like an old person), nearly1,000lb bear getting tossed around and lifted by ReRe Pred... yet she was able to go all fisticuffs with it at the end.
Straight Face Trying Not To Laugh GIF

hinch7

Remember, she was running like she never ran before (almost like an old person), nearly1,000lb bear getting tossed around and lifted by ReRe Pred... yet she was able to go all fisticuffs with it at the end.
Don't forget the magical
flower. Surely eating a few of those will instantly keep body temperature lower than thermal sensors can pick up
:pie_eyeroll:

Last edited:

Labolas

I watched pred2 last night. Danny glovers gun is ridiculous. Gang fight over the top. Just constantly pushing the edge of sanity.
I really enjoy Predator 2. The quotables in the movie makes it aces alone in my book. Cheesy as hell but damn is it entertaining as hell.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I watched pred2 last night. Danny glovers gun is ridiculous. Gang fight over the top. Just constantly pushing the edge of sanity.

Yep. Predator 2 is so fucking stupid lmao both the original & Prey at least take themselves seriously 95% of the time. Saw P2 on vhs rental as a kid and both my parents and I were so disappointed. Its no coincidence that the best part of the film, and what people still talk about, is when Danny Glover goes into the alien ship and the movie starts being serious.

Subway scene wasn’t bad either. Sparing the pregnant woman was cool. But it could have been shot better, it wasn’t as intimidating or creepy as it should have been cuz up to that point it was goofy as fuck.

Last edited:

Esca

I really liked the movie. I thought it was cool as he'll how they used a predator that was different from the rest. It builds on the they are improving themselves genetically and would explain the differences of this one. The genetics thing is from The Predator (2018) and it had i think one of the same writers from Prey that worked on that. We saw in the 2018 film how they were changing doing genetics to improve themselves

Was also interesting to see how the predators gear was before from what we are used to seeing.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Stealth mission.

PinkLargeBoar-size_restricted.gif
-We need you to rescue some CIA agents that were captured by rebels who are about to start a war with the aid of the Russians.
*We're a rescue team not assassins.
-Err doesn't one of your guys carry a mini gun and another a grenade launcher?
-And don't you like to grin and tell corny one liners as you viciously end someone's life?
-And aren't I your boss?
-And it is a rescue mission
-Ok we need you to rescue some useless cabinet minister
*I'm in

Last edited:

INC

Gold Member
-We need you to rescue some CIA agents that were captured by rebels who are about to start a war with the aid of the Russians.
*We're a rescue team not assassins.
-Err doesn't one of your guys carry a mini gun and another a grenade launcher?
-And don't you like to grin and tell corny one liners as you viciously end someone's life?
-And aren't I your boss?
-And it is a rescue mission
-Ok we need you to rescue some useless cabinet minister
*I'm in

Beats, im a badass bear killer, because my axe now has a string tbh

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Beats, im a badass bear killer, because my axe now has a string tbh
I love Predator because it is totally absurd and yet maintains its serious tone throughout. It never becomes an outright comedy like Commando but keeps that over the top super soldier tone. But it is fucking hilarious in parts.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The fact we never got a Predator 3 to properly see out a trilogy is a crime.
Arnie for Predator in 1987
Danny Glover for Predator 2 in 1990

Danny Trejo for a Predator 3 around 1995 right off of HEAT? Predator in northern mexico wrapped up in a Cartel war to sorta follow on the anti-drug theme of P1 and P2? Now we'd get desert and mountains after the jungle and urban environments, plenty of latinas running around, and more macho goodness from yet another demographic.

INC

Gold Member
I love Predator because it is totally absurd and yet maintains its serious tone throughout. It never becomes an outright comedy like Commando but keeps that over the top super soldier tone. But it is fucking hilarious in parts.

Knock knock....

I'm not mad at people complaining about the ultimate end of the predator in this film. I tend to agree, that one point should have been thought out a bit more, it could have been more satisfying, but I do like the fights that led up to that point with the mask. I'm super interested in seeing where a sequel would pick up at. A more advanced predator is dropped in to see what occurred with this one. The French are ofcourse pissed when they think the native tribe murdered their men. There has to be that conflict or the natives would never pick up a weapon again, realizing that the predator wants opponents.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm not mad at people complaining about the ultimate end of the predator in this film. I tend to agree, that one point should have been thought out a bit more, it could have been more satisfying, but I do like the fights that led up to that point with the mask. I'm super interested in seeing where a sequel would pick up at. A more advanced predator is dropped in to see what occurred with this one. The French are ofcourse pissed when they think the native tribe murdered their men. There has to be that conflict or the natives would never pick up a weapon again, realizing that the predator wants opponents.
Do they have the option to just passively sit there and let the Predator get bored?

While it wouldn't necessarily make for a good aciton film, it would be an interesting philosophical debate to have passivity during times a Predator is nearby, even if it increases danger from other men, as any aggression would attract the Pred. Could young men resist the lure of challenging themselves? Could a culture transform itself to be so subservient to the whims of a bloodthirsty space god? Would they eventually have ritualistic offerings of arena combat? Keep prisoners for sacrifice/blood hunts?

I'm sure some of the novels have explored this, be interesting for a film to contrast this option with the "American choice" of "Liberty or Death" or "Never Quit, Never Surrender" type mottos we tend to project into our media.

Who? Who do I claim to be against that would agree with my definition?

Notice the tactic you used here. I'm not sure if it was conscious or not.

I say: "Swap all the genders and groups in this movie..."

You say "Plenty of movies with white male leads..."

That's not what I said. There are essentially 3 major representation groups in Prey. The female protagonist, her male dominated culture that oppresses here, and evil white capitalists.

Find me a movie that swaps all 3 groups for representations woke people would be upset about.

Are there movies with male leads, surrounded by toxic women, and an evil minority group that is stereotyped to death, that the white male lead must defeat?

It doesn't exist. Why? Because it would be called racist and misogynist and no one affiliated with the film would be able to work in Hollywood again.

If you're representation obsessed, as the woke are, don't be surprised when we notice who your representing and in what way.

Steam is literally spouting from my ears right now.
stop-posting.gif

Last edited:
Do they have the option to just passively sit there and let the Predator get bored?

While it wouldn't necessarily make for a good aciton film, it would be an interesting philosophical debate to have passivity during times a Predator is nearby, even if it increases danger from other men, as any aggression would attract the Pred. Could young men resist the lure of challenging themselves? Could a culture transform itself to be so subservient to the whims of a bloodthirsty space god? Would they eventually have ritualistic offerings of arena combat? Keep prisoners for sacrifice/blood hunts?

I'm sure some of the novels have explored this, be interesting for a film to contrast this option with the "American choice" of "Liberty or Death" or "Never Quit, Never Surrender" type mottos we tend to project into our media.
Yes I watched the end credits, I definitely want them to go with this time period a few more before moving on. Jason these definitely seem like they could make for some darker films if they got into it. If they could be passive it would be interesting to see what the one thing would be to set the conflict into motion. Though predator only comes at great times of conflict right.

I kind of wish they had done the new species hunting the predator storyline better and it did not involve aliens or other predators.

It's funny when someone who isn't Native American say "this isn't how native culture was!" When the movie has an actual Native American Comanche consultant on Comanche culture.

To be fair, being born as a Native American doesn’t mean you know jack shit about Native American history. Same goes for any other race/nation. I was born Germanm. I know fuck all about the country or the cultures/history of the nation.

Not saying that is the case here, but just saying they hired someone who is that race doesn’t mean much. Saying they have a PhD in the study of that culture means a lot more.

Kiwicha

Watched it with my girl last night. She hasn´t watched any of the predator films so I had to explain what a predator was to her.
It started pretty good, I like the set up and the fight with the fake bear, I hated the line callbacks. After the last french guy I started to fall asleep. The last thing with the helmet was silly. She said it was ok. Credits showed me what I missed and what we didn´t get to see. 6/10

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
To be fair, being born as a Native American doesn’t mean you know jack shit about Native American history. Same goes for any other race/nation. I was born Germanm. I know fuck all about the country or the cultures/history of the nation.

Not saying that is the case here, but just saying they hired someone who is that race doesn’t mean much. Saying they have a PhD in the study of that culture means a lot more.

She seems to be well versed in her culture... She's Comanche and Blackfeet Native American... I found this in her bio:

Jhane Myers, a Comanche and Blackfeet American Indian is known for her dedication to production, Native film and fine arts, Native language, and Native cultural advising. Jhane is a Sundance/ Time Warner Storyteller Fellow (2018) and Producer Fellow for (2017). Jhane is known for the Comanche linguistics and culture in Monsters of God (2017), Comanche linguistics in Magnificent 7 (2016) and as associate producer of LaDonna Harris: Indian 101 (2014). Multitalented and articulate she brings her cultural sense of self and Native community to public relations and community engagement for the film Wind River (2017) and for her work as supervising producer of N. Scott Momaday: Words from a Bear (2019) for the American Masters Series and as associate producer for the feature documentary Defending the Fire (2017). Jhane can also be seen on camera in the TV Series Native America, New World Rising (2018) and in the Sundance short film Over the Bridge (2016).

She seems to take pride in the history and culture of her peoples, learning about them and sharing that knowledge.

SJRB

Gold Member

Come on dude, the predator was pretty wounded at that point. The predator gets injured an insane amount in this movie.

- the bear mauls him
- bear trap
- the fight with the group of hunters
- the brother wrecks him 1v1
- the lady literally shoots him in the head from point-blank range
- gets impaled by arrows and spears multiple times

I don't think the Predator was at 100% capacity during the final battle..

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

I liked it. Ambers a total hotty, but I have questions..

How'd the predators get the gun in the 2nd film?
Where was his shoulder cannon? The damn things an icon..
Why didnt the predator skin anyone, or collect spines? Why just skin a snake ffs.. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Why didnt the predators come and get the body? And why didnt Amber get her 'gift' for kicking it's arse..?

All in all, the predator skinned a snake, collected a Wolf skull and was total shit at hunting.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Ya'll watched through the credits right? There's a kind of spoiler/tease at the end of the cave drawings that sort of implies what happens after the events of this movie.
Those credits told the story in a great way.

The first image brought to mind the constellation of Orion and the Dog combined with the Fool from the Tarot. Very striking, then the credit story developed. Symbolic art.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Arnie for Predator in 1987
Danny Glover for Predator 2 in 1990

Danny Trejo for a Predator 3 around 1995 right off of HEAT? Predator in northern mexico wrapped up in a Cartel war to sorta follow on the anti-drug theme of P1 and P2? Now we'd get desert and mountains after the jungle and urban environments, plenty of latinas running around, and more macho goodness from yet another demographic.

Don’t think Trejo would have been a big enough star then to headline it. Nick Cage or Wesley Snipes sound about the right level. Hell, you could have put the, in the movie together and crossed Predator with the buddy cop genre 😂

Spaceman292

Banned
Quite true, but I also think it shouldn't be an insult worthy offense to say "I don't find small women besting giant space aliens in hand to hand combat believable, I'd rather they had cast John Cena in the role". The Predator series, has never had a Pred fight a woman (I guess if you count the AvP films there was some fighting leading to mutual respect). So if you were a fan of the prior films then it's understandable if the Predator "genre" is tough men at the peak of their game getting into battle with this alien trophy hunter thing. Not women, or kids (and I can find plenty of examples of child soldiers as well), or talking squirrels, or dolphins in anthropomorphic robot suits, or any of a million other protagonists in a sci-fi film.

No need to argue with folks that just want an Arnie stand-in to go mano y mano with a pred and find it less interesting or exciting if it's a petite woman.
'I need to see the EXACT same thing every time otherwise I get upset :((((('

jason10mm

Gold Member
'I need to see the EXACT same thing every time otherwise I get upset :((((('
So? Doesn't mean you are a hateful bigot like some of the insults being slung around here (always from the 'tolerant crowd', no less).

Predator is a slice of warm apple pie. If I ask for another and I get peach cobbler instead it doesnt mean I'm a peachophobe or cobblerist, i just wanted more apple pie. Maybe with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Bragr

Banned
So critics are praising the film, general audiences are praising the film and even people involved with the original film are praising the film.
But certain misogynistic crowds are gonna keep on trucking?
Why are people in here playing this narrative? the critics and the audiences are so-so on it. There is no universal praise for this movie.

Dr.Morris79

Well, how did the predators get the flintlock to give Harrigan in Predator 2? 👀👀👀
...I dont know :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Paddy said further up the thread that there was an after credits scene that explained stuff, I dont know what though, the wife turned the telly off as soon as it finished.

Maybe in the follow up Billy the kid somehow got the pistol, faces the predator and the predator steals it, that predator trades it for a plasma cannon with another predator (who loves old French tech), he stuck it on the wall of the ship as a keepsake, then Glover gets it as the other predators think it looks a bit shite anyway

Sorted :messenger_sunglasses:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Why are people in here playing this narrative? the critics and the audiences are so-so on it. There is no universal praise for this movie.

92% on RT from critics. 81% on RT from audience. 7.3 out of 10 on IMDB.

By any metric of how films are judged in this day and age, Prey is doing pretty well for itself.

It’s decently liked, but it’s not spectacular.

Spaceman292

Banned
So? Doesn't mean you are a hateful bigot like some of the insults being slung around here (always from the 'tolerant crowd', no less).

Predator is a slice of warm apple pie. If I ask for another and I get peach cobbler instead it doesnt mean I'm a peachophobe or cobblerist, i just wanted more apple pie. Maybe with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Just watch the first one again. Or even the second one, or Predators.

Hari Seldon

I watched the first half and only stopped because it was getting too late. A++++++++ Best film I have seen in years and I like it even more than Top Gun. Diversity done right! Make a movie about the bad ass Comanche and only cast Native American actors is fucking perfect and exactly what hollywood needs to do going forward. Don't just make generic viking show #7864 and substitute in brown people like netflix did lmfao. Making only white people plots and subbing in brown people is not diversity.

Bragr

Banned
92% on RT from critics. 81% on RT from audience. 7.3 out of 10 on IMDB.

By any metric of how films are judged in this day and age, Prey is doing pretty well for itself.

It’s decently liked, but it’s not spectacular.
By any metric? on Metacritic, it got a 71 critic score and 63 user score.

Don't buy into Rotten Tomatoes, or Metacritic for that matter, for people who follow movies it's worse than IGN is for game reviews.

Tomatoes use blogs and hobby critics so the scores are almost always good, you have to have an INCREDIBLY bad movie to score badly on Tomatoes, a complete wreck. Almost all mediocre movies get good reviews on Tomatoes. The user score is worse, as about 85% of the people who vote are just some random bloke who like Marvel movies, just look at the movies that score well on the user score, movies like Jurassic World Dominion, even Morbius got decent user score.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Here's how I would rank em...

Predator > Prey > Predator 2 > Predators > everything after this doesn't matter cause they're all shit, just different flavors of shit.

Predator is just a near perfect film. Prey is very well executed but it can't be placed over the original as it doesn't have the memorable cast, music, and atmosphere to match. Predator 2 is definitely underappreciated but I think most of the film is carried by Danny Glover. The first and last half hour are the most fun parts, everything in the mid is meh. Predators imo has a great first half, but nosedives in quality in the last half hour. The characters start dying too quickly and it becomes a schlockfest.

Top Bottom