• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREY reviews are in, critics love it

Saw it when it released
Pros: I actually loved how they conveyed the Predators strength. IE Bear and Quicksand.
Native casting, especially Midthunder
Appreciating the Predators look even more second viewing
Film looks and sounds great
Awesome fight scenes.
Predator in character imo and consistent
Fun film

Cons
lines from the original kinda seemed silly.
CGI not quite there on animals
Didnt add as much to the mythology, kinda wanted to learn something new about the Predator
If they do a sequel they need to strengthen the side characters

Airbus Jr

Banned
Grizzly bear couldve kill pred if he didnt stopped ( also naru's brothers if pred didnt cloaked, this feral pred was cheap and dishonorable when he did that)

Which convinced me this pred is a bad blood

True predator didnt use cloak when theyre chalenged by what they consider as worthy opponents ( Ex Dutch vs Jungle Hunter...not even Scar uses cloak when hes fighting Queen Alien even when he knows the odds are against him)

Last edited:

Germuso

She coulndt even hunt a rabbit but then she killed those french people and fight like a street fighter character.

Her development is so silly...

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Some of you act like plot armor is a new concept or something.

Dutch survived a nuclear explosion that literally scorched the earth in a 10 mile radius.
Predator Film Aliens GIF

FunkMiller

Gold Member
We could do these kinds of plot armor tit for tats all night long. And not just for this movie alone. I think it's better to just acknowledge that protagonists typically always enjoy plot armor in these simple action films and call it a day.

But then people would have to be honest about the actual reason they don’t like the protagonist in this film.

Last edited:
But then people would have to be honest about the actual reason they don’t like the protagonist in this film.
I enjoyed the film for the most part but the lead actress was miscast. She is just too puny. When she is doing the axe training she doesn't look strong enough to even get the axe to the tree and the only bow she could ever fully extend is one of those kids ones with the sucker arrows. So the fight sequences just look fucking stupid. Other than that I'd rate the film a 7.

3 or 4 beer before starting helps!

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
5/10 Movie. Don't know what some of you are smoking with all that praise.

There was no rhythm to any of this. Every major event / turn of events was based on luck or coincident. Much more so than in the original.
The Predator in this feels like a "challanged" version of a predator. Meh. Should have watched the original again...

5/10 Movie. Don't know what some of you are smoking with all that praise.

There was no rhythm to any of this. Every major event / turn of events was based on luck or coincident. Much more so than in the original.
The Predator in this feels like a "challanged" version of a predator. Meh. Should have watched the original again...
In this day and age, when something doesn't turn out to be a complete (woke) dumpster fire, it's praised to the high heavens.

INC

Gold Member
He survived a blast from an energy weapon that would have killed anyone else, to eventually tumble down a hill and fall a hundred feet into a raging river (all without even pulling a muscle), to conveniently wash up on muddy shores where he is covered in mud and gets to observe a glaring weakness of the predator.

We could do these kinds of plot armor tit for tats all night long. And not just for this movie alone. I think it's better to just acknowledge that protagonists typically always enjoy plot armor in these simple action films and call it a day.

The energy blast hit his gun first, so he didnt take the full blast of the plasma cannon. Hence why he survived it.

Konnor

In this day and age, when something doesn't turn out to be a complete (woke) dumpster fire, it's praised to the high heavens.

Truth, if this movie released in early 00's I would have called it bland and mediocre, now I consider it a pretty good flick although I will have forgotten it by next week. The state of Hollywood is pathetic.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Truth, if this movie released in early 00's I would have called it bland and mediocre, now I consider it a pretty good flick although I will have forgotten it by next week. The state of Hollywood is pathetic.

The early 00s was when AvP was released. By comparison, this would have been regarded as a masterpiece.

Mossybrew

I haven't seen a Predator movie since 2, so I have no opinion either way on this franchise. Prey was reasonably entertaining, not bad.

Alx

I only watched AvP recently, and thought it wasn't that bad. It had some nice contributions to the lore, unlike Prey.

VN1X

Banned
This is the camp fight scene for context

I thought that was actually rather weak from a direction standpoint.

There is keeping stuff in-camera and just moving away from all of the impacts ever so slightly. I dunno but I just thought that looked more like a rehearsal (dance) than anything. Not bad but there are tons of examples out there which do it better (Kill Bill for instance!).

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Thought the best thing about it was the cinematography. It was just beautifully shot. Landscapes, mountains, hills. Even parts where it's dark and gritty, it captures that super well. I thought it was decent. Not as good as the critics are saying, but ok. Biggest issue is Naru was too overpowered. She went from struggling to best a mountain cat, getting lucky a bear didn't kill her, to completely clowning a Predator. She owned the Predator in the end, it was barely a challenge. Kinda let a lot of the steam out of it for me. I didn't expect her to die, but I was hoping the showdown would feel more organic and more in-line with how things went up to that point.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Oh, I’m not suggesting women often are combat warriors, but they have existed, and it’s perfectly acceptable to portray that kind of character in a sci-fi action movie about a big silly alien with dreadlocks. Especially when the film goes at length to greatly weaken the predator prior to its fight with Naru.
Quite true, but I also think it shouldn't be an insult worthy offense to say "I don't find small women besting giant space aliens in hand to hand combat believable, I'd rather they had cast John Cena in the role". The Predator series, has never had a Pred fight a woman (I guess if you count the AvP films there was some fighting leading to mutual respect). So if you were a fan of the prior films then it's understandable if the Predator "genre" is tough men at the peak of their game getting into battle with this alien trophy hunter thing. Not women, or kids (and I can find plenty of examples of child soldiers as well), or talking squirrels, or dolphins in anthropomorphic robot suits, or any of a million other protagonists in a sci-fi film.

No need to argue with folks that just want an Arnie stand-in to go mano y mano with a pred and find it less interesting or exciting if it's a petite woman.

Thought the best thing about it was the cinematography. It was just beautifully shot. Landscapes, mountains, hills. Even parts where it's dark and gritty, it captures that super well. I thought it was decent. Not as good as the critics are saying, but ok. Biggest issue is Naru was too overpowered. She went from struggling to best a mountain cat, getting lucky a bear didn't kill her, to completely clowning a Predator. She owned the Predator in the end, it was barely a challenge. Kinda let a lot of the steam out of it for me. I didn't expect her to die, but I was hoping the showdown would feel more organic and more in-line with how things went up to that point.
Yeah the "showdown" missed the mark a bit. They had a perfect set up established early in the film and they kinda used it but I think they felt the organic route would've been too anti-climatic or similar to Arnold's fight.

John Bilbo

The main character's motivation was established in the beginning of the film, but besides that she didn't develope much during the run time.

To be fair I don't think Arnold developed much in the original either, but at least Arnold was funny.

They could have made the main character in this film have a sense of humour too. I think the beaver story was a perfect moment to make a Arnold type one liner, but they missed the shot.

Or if not funny, then some other character traits. I mean she was clearly resourceful with combining the axe and the rope. They could have made that resourcefulness a clear through line of her character.

As she was I think she was quite as much unlikeable as most of the men in the story with the exception of the brother. He was pretty neutral and had also some likeable traits. The dog was the most likeable boy of course.

RAÏSanÏa

They could have made that resourcefulness a clear through line of her character.
That was portrayed in different ways. The ending captured that. The bait for the Predator with the gun and skinner was resourceful from a good understanding developed from observation of how it hunts. Not terribly complex, but is there. Along with healing her dog, healing that dude, collecting items, wildcrafting.

John Bilbo

That was portrayed in different ways. The ending captured that. The bait for the Predator with the gun and skinner was resourceful from a good understanding developed from observation of how it hunts. Not terribly complex, but is there. Along with healing her dog, healing that dude, collecting items, wildcrafting.
That's fair, you are correct.

sCHOCOLATE

But no one complains about this exact placing.

3:13 in the clip of the exact moment doesn't load.

Consider how this scene from Predator (1987) was written.

Dutch devised his original plan. He used a narrow path leading to a large tree to funnel the Predator towards him (tactically, one way in, one way out)
The camouflaged spike trap relied on the suspended tree trunk as a counter-weight.
Dutch beckons to the Predator.
The Predator observes Dutch, takes a step forward, notices the spikes, looks at him again, and then makes an intuitive counter-move, bypassing the intended trap.
Dutch improvises, inverts the trap sequence, and releases the suspended tree trunk on the Predator's head.

The Predator only knows the target is stationary and it has intuitively manuevered around something that was considered suspicious.
The Predator had no knowledge of the suspended tree trunk. Prior to impact, among the other jungle noises, it might have heard the air whistling as the trunk fell.

Of course, had the Predator taken any other path around the original spike trap, the scene would be broken.
But that was the near finale for the Predator from the first movie. That was what we got.

In Prey (2022), people are going to criticize the finale because:

1. This callback(forward) to Predator (1987) is a little too on the nose given....

2. The bog area is not a funnel. When the Predator realized its mobility was compromised, it should have considered a counter-move (like the 1987 movie), not merely re-surfacing on the spot. In boxing, what is one of the fatal mistakes a boxer can make? Planting their feet and not moving. You become a sitting duck.

3. The targeting system for the Predator's weapon is laser precise. The bolts zero on the pinpoints as a tight grouping or individually at the Predator's discretion (while wearing the mask).
The bolts can be fired in a direction, off-angle from the target, but they will home in on the pinpoints.

Before the Predator arrived at the bog, even if Naru wore the mask to somehow activate the laser targeting to see where the bolts could be aimed, the movie is asking the viewer to swallow too many probablilities here.

Did she wear the mask, activate the laser targeting to approximate where the Predator would stop walking (and then resurface), and then determine, in the darkness, how to position the removed mask between the rocks to preserve the correct aim angle?

The Predator watched, and presumably, heard the incoming fatal head shot and all it did was face impending death with a "Huh?"

That is not an evolution of the writing that closed the curtain on the 1987 Predator.

The end of Prey's Predator could have been written much better.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Quite true, but I also think it shouldn't be an insult worthy offense to say "I don't find small women besting giant space aliens in hand to hand combat believable, I'd rather they had cast John Cena in the role". The Predator series, has never had a Pred fight a woman (I guess if you count the AvP films there was some fighting leading to mutual respect). So if you were a fan of the prior films then it's understandable if the Predator "genre" is tough men at the peak of their game getting into battle with this alien trophy hunter thing. Not women, or kids (and I can find plenty of examples of child soldiers as well), or talking squirrels, or dolphins in anthropomorphic robot suits, or any of a million other protagonists in a sci-fi film.

No need to argue with folks that just want an Arnie stand-in to go mano y mano with a pred and find it less interesting or exciting if it's a petite woman.

I get what you’re saying, but for me, the movie did enough in terms of making the Predator weaker, dumber and injured enough for her fight with it to stay just about on the right side of conceivable. That’s why I kinda dug the movie.

Shit, I’d have been the first one complaining if it had been OG Pred that she beats single handedly in a Mary Sue kind of way.

But they didn’t do that, and I was pleasantly surprised.

However, I’d prefer an elite Predator up against a platoon of space marines for the next one, to be honest.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Old man Dutch, pulled from some sort of PTSD self inflicted hell, to go out back against a pred could be cool.

Hell, just cast one of his kids as a soldier gone MIA in a jungle somewhere and out he goes for rescue/revenge.

Chris Patt would be in it :p

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
There's also that scene where he's with Anna and he's absolutely terrified. The gun is shaking as he's holding it.
Yeah, he lost his cool quite often. He also starts to care about Anna, etc.

I also liked the dynamic of the last encounter a lot more. Dutch knows booth of them are invisible to each other, so he fakes attacks and forces the Predator to show its location etc.

In Prey its all kind of flat. We don't know if the Predator is even aware that there is an invisible person around, he just strolls into the trap... meh...

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm not sure if there's any real common ground these days on the issues of 'wokeness' in modern cinema.

But one thing I'd hope most of us would agree on is that film making is a lot lazier and less creative than it was in years gone by.
Praise The Lord Applause GIF

We are still talking about the og film 35 years later. Will anyone remember this next week?

AJUMP23

I watched pred2 last night. Danny glovers gun is ridiculous. Gang fight over the top. Just constantly pushing the edge of sanity.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
OK so I just finished watching... this is... well its just adequate... its not bad but its not great, not good either just... sort of there.

One thing is it certainly felt cheap, the terrible CGI animals immediately set the cheap feeling.

The best thing I could say is that the preditor design was pretty cool, but it was the dumbest predator I have ever seen... the whole gimic with the targeting laser was just stupid and felt lazy as did the predator fight... it was too one sided in the finale hardly any threat at all bar the scene with the sheild and the rocks.

Overall it was a movie, nothing more nothing less, but good reviews? Meh...

I watched pred2 last night. Danny glovers gun is ridiculous. Gang fight over the top. Just constantly pushing the edge of sanity.
Yesterday was the first time I've ever seen it. My literal thought throughout the movie was "this is insane". What a crazy fucking movie lol. Glover was fantastic though.

Top Bottom