• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREY reviews are in, critics love it

JayK47

It is a girl power movie, critics have to love it.

Just watched it. Pretty decent. Her brother was a great character. The predator was cool. The killing blow was pretty awful, but otherwise the combat was decent. Main character met my expectations. These days, I know what to expect with the "fight the patriarchy" female leads in movies. Her character did not stray much. Checked most of the boxes.

So are there any franchises left that haven't received the strong female lead treatment?

Airbus Jr

Banned

Just watched it. Pretty decent. Her brother was a great character. The predator was cool. The killing blow was pretty awful, but otherwise the combat was decent. Main character met my expectations. These days, I know what to expect with the "fight the patriarchy" female leads in movies. Her character did not stray much. Checked most of the boxes.

So are there any franchises left that haven't received the strong female lead treatment?
the other previous 4 predator movie with male protag: normal

The 1 with women protag : girl power movie

see your own bias?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Just finished.
I love the premise and I'm surprised it hadn't happened sooner. The last movie was such a dumpster fire that its' hard not to see this movie as a massive step in the right direction despite the flaws. The callbacks to the original ("if it bleeds..," bomb keypad sequence) and to P2 are a little too on the nose. I can't say I love the Predator design and he seems to go against what I'd expect of a Predator, especially taking on an army of French fur traders. The whole shield thing bothered me more than it should. The final fight was kind of silly too and not in a good way. A lot of the effects felt cheapish. On the plus side:

+Main cast was good: sister, brother, dog.
+On the opposite spectrum of callbacks to the other movies, they did a nice job of tricking me with the mud sequence.
+I might be reading too much into it but if that's the first hunt, I do like that the predator went after snakes, wolves and bears.

Fbh

This was indeed pretty good. The first good modern Predator sequel for sure.
It was pretty nicely shot and I enjoyed the action tough I agree with others that the final showdown was a bit underwhelming. A lot of the animals were CG, true, but I didn't find it too distracting and I liked how they were used to enforce this "prey and predator" idea. Also it seems to have a lot of on location shots which was nice, I'll take some CG animals over non stop green screen backgrounds.

Also pleasantly surprised about it not being woke, if anything I wish other movie writers took note of what this movie does right.

Other than the end fight my only real complaint is that the French (or whatever they were supposed to be) were a bit too cartoony and it didn't really fit the tone of the rest of the movie.

Have to disagree. She didn't really check the usual woke writing boxes:
-She isn't some Mary Sue that's perfect at everything and way more skilled than everyone around her. If anything most of the movie is her fucking up and getting lucky.
-While it's shown that women didn't usually hunt, the story is framed more as her trying to prove herself than some sort of "fight the patriarchy" angle.
-The major secondary male character is actually shown to be skilled and overall competent instead of being constantly ridiculed and undermined to make her look better.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
you havent explained which part of this movie is woke

were still waiting for your answers

Biological differences don't matter...because unathletic girls raised gathering food, can beat up a bunch of her hunter male peers and then kill a bunch of white men using BRUTE strength...as long as she believes in THE MESSAGE.

White people are evil.

Women are oppressed.

It's Predator: The Joy-Ann Reid edition.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Biological differences don't matter...because unathletic girls raised gathering food, can beat up a bunch of her hunter male peers and then kill a bunch of white men using BRUTE strength...as long as she believes in THE MESSAGE.

White people are evil.

Women are oppressed.

It's Predator: The Joy-Ann Reid edition.
she didnt beat or kill a bunch of white male

In fact shes getting destroyed 1 vs 1 by one of the male warrior and gets manhandled pretty quickly

if you watch the movie youl know she didnt beat the predator by strength

no one actually does in previous predator movie

and that the points of predator movie that humanity cant win by pure strength but with their wits cunning and strategy

did you actually watch it ?

youre venting your frustration/ getting angry for something that is not there

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
did you actually watch the movie? she didnt beat or kill a bunch of white male

In fact shes getting destroyed 1 vs 1 with one of the male warrior

Now I'm wondering if YOU watched the movie.

She DEFINITELY kicks the boy hunters ass like she's Jon Bones Jones. The only time the guy gets a shot in is when the other dude helps him pull off a cheap hit.

She DEFINITELY goes into one of the French camps and murders like 5 men by using her girl magic.

Honestly, go watch the movie again. They make the little girl the most physically imposing character in the film other than the bear.

Folks, one of the reasons we liked the first Predator is because Arnold Schwarzenegger looked like our alpha predator. This chick looks like a Make a Wish kid.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Now I'm wondering if YOU watched the movie.

She DEFINITELY kicks the boy hunters ass like she's Jon Bones Jones. The only time the guy gets a shot in is when the other dude helps him pull off a cheap hit.

She DEFINITELY goes into one of the French camps and murders like 5 men by using her girl magic.

Honestly, go watch the movie again. They make the little girl the most physically imposing character in the film other than the bear.

Folks, one of the reasons we liked the first Predator is because Arnold Schwarzenegger looked like our alpha predator. This chick looks like a Make a Wish kid.
She didnt one shot anyone like you explain. In fact she was shown to be quite vulnerable.

Shes got beaten up 1 vs 1 by one of the male indian warrior

The moment she took down that one french guy is by stealth

Are you a misogyny/have something against women or something like that?

This woke vs anti woke culture war is exhausting and dragging away the conversation from the actual movie

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
She didnt one shot anyone like you explain. In fact she was shown to be quite vulnerable.
One shot? When did I say she one shots anyone?
Shes got beaten up 1 vs 1 by one of the male indian warrior
Go watch it again. She wrecks that dude.

The moment she took down that one french guy is by stealth
Ok, so now explain the other 4 kills.

Are you a misogyny/have something against women or something like that?
No, I'm not a misogynist just because I'm slightly more aware of the physical differences between (unathletic) 120 lb women and 170lb men. It would have been interesting if the film makers were smart enough to think about that stuff too...but they weren't.

This woke vs anti woke culture war is exhausting and dragging away the conversation from the actual movie

You can't constantly be replying to me about the woke vs anti woke stuff and then all of a sudden "get exhausted" just because you misremembered two scenes from the movie. You've been encouraging this discussion as much as anyone.

We're all having fun here. No hard feelings. I still like y'all.

I'll leave you with a GIF thought experiment to ponder. Why does Tom Cruise do this in all his movies? (Hint: I'm criticizing Prey here)

ezgif-com-crop-21.gif

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Prey has been trending pretty much off-and-on since release and has enjoyed the best reception of any Predator film. I hope they throw money at Dan Trachtenberg to do another. I'd hate to see him get pigeonholed with a franchise when he's only two movies down on his CV as director - but just one more Dan. This time a different era. Fingers crossed.

Airbus Jr

Banned
One shot? When did I say she one shots anyone?

Go watch it again. She wrecks that dude.

Ok, so now explain the other 4 kills.
She didnt wreck anyone

The other kills are by arrow

"120 lb women and 170lb men"

How many times do we have to point this out

Having more lb doesnt equate automatic
wins

Dude Mike Tyson wreck many heavyweight boxer bigger than him

you can kill anyone bigger than you if you hit the right spot and know how to fight ( his carotic artery, femoral artery, by sufocation , fighting techniques etc)

Just admit it youre a misogyny and angry dude who hates women protagonist

The sooner you admit it the better

Last edited:

Smokken

Banned
She didnt wreck anyone

The other kills are by arrow

"120 lb women and 170lb men"

How many times do we have to point this out

Having more lb doesnt equate automatic
wins

Dude Mike Tyson wreck many heavyweight boxer bigger than him

you can kill anyone bigger than you if you hit the right spot and know how to fight ( his carotic artery, femoral artery, by sufocation , fighting techniques etc)

Just admit it youre a misogyny and angry dude who hates women protagonist

The sooner you admit it the better
I'm with the other guy on this one. I rewatched the specific scenes to confirm, she did infact kill off 4 guys in the french camp in close quarter combat.
Male protagonist would make the movie better, instead of just average. More relatable even. But I guess that is "misogyny" in your book. Strange how some will just willfully ingore how the movie played out.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I'm with the other guy on this one. I rewatched the specific scenes to confirm, she did infact kill off 4 guys in the french camp in close quarter combat.
Male protagonist would make the movie better, instead of just average. More relatable even. But I guess that is "misogyny" in your book. Strange how some will just willfully ingore how the movie played out.
So women cant perform good close quarter combat ?

jeez never though theres so many insecure male here

In your book every action movies has to be performed by male right ? Is that it? Cos thats the impression i get from you

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
This was indeed pretty good. The first good modern Predator sequel for sure.
It was pretty nicely shot and I enjoyed the action tough I agree with others that the final showdown was a bit underwhelming. A lot of the animals were CG, true, but I didn't find it too distracting and I liked how they were used to enforce this "prey and predator" idea. Also it seems to have a lot of on location shots which was nice, I'll take some CG animals over non stop green screen backgrounds.

Also pleasantly surprised about it not being woke, if anything I wish other movie writers took note of what this movie does right.

Other than the end fight my only real complaint is that the French (or whatever they were supposed to be) were a bit too cartoony and it didn't really fit the tone of the rest of the movie.

Have to disagree. She didn't really check the usual woke writing boxes:
-She isn't some Mary Sue that's perfect at everything and way more skilled than everyone around her. If anything most of the movie is her fucking up and getting lucky.
-While it's shown that women didn't usually hunt, the story is framed more as her trying to prove herself than some sort of "fight the patriarchy" angle.
-The major secondary male character is actually shown to be skilled and overall competent instead of being constantly ridiculed and undermined to make her look better.

Agree with most of this. I'm no fan of shit like SNL ghostbusters, but the movie couldn't have rammed the point more down your throat if it tried.

The brother was the apex predator who used brute instincts, tracking and strength to overcome his adversaries/other threats to the tribe. Fast forward a millenia and he would be the 'Predator'.

Even from that first scene, where he accuses her of falling asleep and the countless times she takes a more measured, intelligent approach, the film is basically a metaphor for how it's our brains and not our braun that puts us at the top.

The two new tools that she ends up with (and are instrumental) are the rope attached axe and the pistol. To show that while technology is fine it is still only a complement to our biggest advantage ('intelligence'). The Predator had all this really cool tech but still hunted at a base level (like the brother), even in the original.

The character also had growth, when she was training with the throwing axe. She couldn't even hit a rabbit at first, then in the next scene is carrying four on her back. It's meant to reflect her growing experience and confidence.

sol_bad

The story requires a male for you to relate to a monster hunting and killing things in the vicinity of your village and wanting to protect said village? What difference does it make if the protag is male or female in this scenario?

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Fuck.

All these crappy average movies.

sci fi aliens GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

terminator GIF

kill bill film GIF

a nightmare on elm street horror GIF

I hate how woke movies have been since the eighties.

Dr.Morris79

Goddamn, what an awesome movie. Trachtenberg really knocked it out of the park with this one. I've been trying to tell y'all, he's a director to watch. Honestly, I would say Prey is nearly as good as the original Predator IF it wasn't for the fact that it reveals the Predator way too early IMO. That might sound like a silly complaint but think about the original Predator for a moment. One thing I always loved about the original is that you don't know what the threat is until you see its hand pop up in Predator Vision, which is 1/3 of the way through the movie. You see the spaceship in the intro, but by that point you're so engrossed in this jungle commando thing going on that you've probably already forgotten about the 20-second intro. It's fun to introduce the movie to new viewers because they're often surprised about what direction the movie goes in.

In Prey, you are constantly reminded of it's existence. Hey, Predator landed! Hey, just a reminder but Predator is still here and killed snek! etc. Don't get me wrong, the snake scene is very cool visually but I guess I just prefer subtlety in that regard. I think it would have worked better if they came across the snake carcass without the viewer knowing what did it, kinda like the later scene with the buffalo (which was a nice but momentary misdirection). Oh and speaking of misdirections, I loved the camera zooming into mud early in the movie, which made us think "oh they're going to do the 'mud conceals your body heat' thing again". Not in this one!

So yeah, in summation: I loved it.

8/10

Also, shout out to Uber Eats for giving me 3 months of free Hulu and Disney+.
All true but remember we live in a time where we already know what the predator is and does, back in the original we didnt so it was more epic..

He made the film knowing that and knows we just want to see the predator do the good shit

..And it worked.

If he'd of dragged out the already 'known' mystery of something we already know people would have said 'boooring'

DETACA

Banned
movie was good. although there is no need of saying same thing in different ways. we hvae seen 1st movie and 2nd and now its getting repeated again after again. nothing new is coming.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Fuck.

All these crappy average movies.

sci fi aliens GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

terminator GIF

kill bill film GIF

a nightmare on elm street horror GIF

I hate how woke movies have been since the eighties.
Have not watched the movie yet, so will not comment on this particular character’s feat but you are fighting a strawman of “women leads make a movie average” which nobody said instead of addressing what others say which is also a pattern in the Sandman one.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Have not watched the movie yet, so will not comment on this particular character’s feat but you are fighting a strawman of “women leads make a movie average” which nobody said instead of addressing what others say which is also a pattern in the Sandman one.

The pattern is that people have opinions they won’t be moved from, whatever the actual evidence is, and really don’t like it when someone pushes back on that.

Also, maybe watch the film first before trying to comment?

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Did you miss the entire scene in the French camp where she physically takes on several men at once and kills them?
Yeah sorry forgot about that part

My point is that dude being a total ass ( about women being incapable of defending herself or perform in combat )

Sad that a thread about predator movie turn into this

Last edited:

sol_bad

It's OK to say Prey is crap because of a female protagonist who shouldn't be able to handle herself and kill men + alien. But at the same time be A-OK with Ellen Ripley laying waste to multiple aliens, eggs and a damn queen with zero military training? All these trained military soldiers who have seen plenty of action die but she survives with barely a scratch.

I thought it was good, not as good as you guys said. It was entertaining enough, for sure. And better than any of the other sequels.

Tieno

It's OK to say Prey is crap because of a female protagonist who shouldn't be able to handle herself and kill men + alien. But at the same time be A-OK with Ellen Ripley laying waste to multiple aliens, eggs and a damn queen with zero military training? All these trained military soldiers who have seen plenty of action die but she survives with barely a scratch.
It's because...it's because...it's because I saw those movies as a child!

I say we demand from the writers a full training schedule the female protagonist was under so we can determine if she could indeed kill the predator.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The pattern is that people have opinions they won’t be moved from, whatever the actual evidence is, and really don’t like it when someone pushes back on that.
Ditto…

Not necessary, your answer was not restricted to the movie, but a gross generalisation to win an argument so… if I saw the movie and found the character’s effectiveness so to speak believable or not would not change the quote ai reacted to.

jason10mm

Gold Member
the other previous 4 predator movie with male protag: normal

The 1 with women protag : girl power movie

see your own bias?
This is a war/violence genre, it is so dominated by men that the women who engage in it can practically be singled out by name versus the MILLIONS of names males next to them.

It would be like dismissing complaints that in films about childbirth there is one about a guy giving birth as "your own bias"

rYMgiH3.jpg

Ahhhh, shit...

ACWft7n.jpg

:p

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It's because...it's because...it's because I saw those movies as a child!

I say we demand from the writers a full training schedule the female protagonist was under so we can determine if she could indeed kill the predator.

Way too many people have been so infected by this weird need they have to be anti-woke that they will spout inconsistencies and hypocrisies for days on end, no matter how silly it ends up sounding.

jason10mm

Gold Member
To be fair, that military team dies wiping out virtually all of the queens troops. At the end about all she has left are a few in the nest.

'Sides, she got a gun pep talk from Hicks. That's almost as good a s a training montage!

Airbus Jr

Banned
This is a war/violence genre, it is so dominated by men that the women who engage in it can practically be singled out by name versus the MILLIONS of names males next to them.

It would be like dismissing complaints that in films about childbirth there is one about a guy giving birth as "your own bias"

:p
Holy fuck

Holy fuck

Holy fuck

So you never watch a movie with female protagonist before?

This is the first time for you?

Holy fuck

Holy fuck

Holy fuck

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Way too many people have been so infected by this weird need they have to be anti-woke that they will spout inconsistencies and hypocrisies for days on end, no matter how silly it ends up sounding.
Being anti-woke is their fixation. Their criticisms and compliments don't extend beyond that leash. They're activists with placards and might as well be bots.

Outlier

Guys. It's a movie about fighting a fantasy creature. It's FANTASY! It wouldn't be a movie worth watching if everything we expect to happen in real life, happened here.

If the movie was realistic, anything like the predator would have theoretically wiped everyone out, turning into a slasher horror movie.

Isn't the point of Predator movie suppose to be about overcoming a seemingly insurmountable impending doom?

I haven't seen the movie, but I don't care if a movie has "wokeness" in it, as long as it's not shove in my face. All that matter is one thing. IS IT ENTERTAINING?

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

Yeah. The Nerdrotics of the world are doubling down because they HAVE TO in order to stay on brand. Kind of painted themselves into a corner by hating everything since The Last Jedi and farming for clicks.

What's funny is that they're not wrong all the time, but their bias is clear.

It's okay to enjoy things and put "the agenda" aside.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
So you never watch a movie with female protagonist before?

This is the first time for you?
Stop being silly. Of course I've seen COUNTLESS films with badass warrior women that wade through oceans of mooks, bathed in the blood and brains of their victims.

You know where I DON'T see many warrior women? History Books. It's hardly a logic leap to realize that NO, women in fact are NOT that great at picking up guns or swords and rushing into battle to cleave the foe in twain. In fact, it happens SO RARELY you could write a book about EACH ONE of them and only fill a few shelves.

Contrast that to an attempt to write a book about EVERY MALE soldier, even from a relatively minor conflict like Thermopylae or even just a skirmish. HUNDREDS of books. Men outnumber women on the battlefield SO MUCH that women don't even represent a rounding error.

So bitching about folks bitching about women somehow standing toe to toe to men in battle is kinda dumb. It's a mythic concept adapted by Hollywood, nothing more. Can make for fine entertainment, especially if the female is representing defensive motherhood or her own story not predicated on "fightin' the patriarchy", but it's ludicrous to postulate that because Hollywood stuntmen can make a 95 pound waif throw them around it means all women can do it to men for reals.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Stop being silly. Of course I've seen COUNTLESS films with badass warrior women that wade through oceans of mooks, bathed in the blood and brains of their victims.

You know where I DON'T see many warrior women? History Books. It's hardly a logic leap to realize that NO, women in fact are NOT that great at picking up guns or swords and rushing into battle to cleave the foe in twain. In fact, it happens SO RARELY you could write a book about EACH ONE of them and only fill a few shelves.

Contrast that to an attempt to write a book about EVERY MALE soldier, even from a relatively minor conflict like Thermopylae or even just a skirmish. HUNDREDS of books. Men outnumber women on the battlefield SO MUCH that women don't even represent a rounding error.

So bitching about folks bitching about women somehow standing toe to toe to men in battle is kinda dumb. It's a mythic concept adapted by Hollywood, nothing more. Can make for fine entertainment, especially if the female is representing defensive motherhood or her own story not predicated on "fightin' the patriarchy", but it's ludicrous to postulate that because Hollywood stuntmen can make a 95 pound waif throw them around it means all women can do it to men for reals.

You say warrior women who can stand toe to toe in combat with men is mythical stuff made up by Hollywood, but in the same post above it you admit there have been real warrior women in our history who have done just that.

Would it be okay if it was Joan Of Arc against the Predator? She went into battle and killed male opponents on the battlefield.

How about Boudica? She was a right fucking maniac.

Last edited:
Top Bottom