• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREY reviews are in, critics love it

SJRB

Gold Member
wtf even is this discussion at this point, lol.

179.jpg

Airbus Jr

Banned
Interesting to note:

One group is criticizing the film.

The other group is attacking the people for criticizing the film.
Youre not criticizing the movie you clearly have agenda and despise the movie for having female protagonist and derail the thread into woke vs anti woke

Look at the original woke vs anti woke debate on this thread

Youre the one who started it

I mean look at this disgusting post by one of your misogyny friend J jason10mm

This is a war/violence genre, it is so dominated by men that the women who engage in it can practically be singled out by name versus the MILLIONS of names males next to them

No offence but some of you folks here are realy messed up

Last edited:
Interesting to note:

One group is criticizing the film.

The other group is attacking the people for criticizing the film.
No, you're criticizing a different version of the film that exists only in your head.

Naru's brother is the strongest warrior in the film, he is portrayed as noble and better than her at everything. She wants to be like him, and the film doesn't raise her up at the expense of his character. He expresses worry towards her, as any good brother would. But he also believes in her and supports her. Their relationship is entirely believable.

She never "one ups" him, degrades him....she only wants to win his approval and the tribe's. "Woke" female characters don't give a shit about anyone because they always know best and men are useless to them, only existing to stand in their way. They are already good at everything and the only reason they haven't achieved greatness is because they've been held down.

No one gives a shit about her beating up the 4 Frenchmen because they are the film's equivalent of Stormtroopers. At this point in the movie she is becoming a badass and has earned it, plus no sane person wants to see their protagonist beat up by nobodies in a campy action film.

Smokken

Banned
So women cant perform good close quarter combat ?

jeez never though theres so many insecure male here

In your book every action movies has to be performed by male right ? Is that it? Cos thats the impression i get from you
Not as good as men, that's for sure. I'm just calling you out on your statement that she didn't beat up all those french guys in the movie.
Relating to characters in movies is a major reason why people watch movies in the first place, hence why guys want badass masculine protagonists. Why do you think 50 Shades Of Gray is so popular among women? Same principle.
It CAN work with female action heroes, Ripley from Alien comes to mind. I suspect it worked so well with her since she's somewhat "manly" in those movies...not some tiny Mary Sue.
So no, that's NOT it. Try again.

Last edited:
Even if this movie had some whack moments some posters on this board really do just hate women. It's just sad man. When even the Critical Drinker your god admits she's not a Mary Sue and she takes Ls you still gotta try hard to pick it apart.

Smokken

Banned
If it can works with Ripley in Alien why cant it works here?

cmon cmon cmon.. iwant to hear you biggots next excuses....
Did you even read my post? Ripley being masculine and capable fits the role way better than this tiny native american girl.

Stay off the soy mister, you are literally shimmering in beta mentality. Live in Cali by any chance?

Airbus Jr

Banned
Did you even read my post? Ripley being masculine and capable fits the role way better than this tiny native american girl.

Stay off the soy mister, you are literally shimmering in beta mentality. Live in Cali by any chance?
they have quite a similar body frame enough with the excuses you just hate women protagonist

if ripley is coming 2022 i have no doubt you l be lashing out on her either

Last edited:

Smokken

Banned
they have quite a similar body frame enough with the excuses you just hate women protagonist

if ripley is coming 2022 i have no doubt you l be lashing out on her either
Sigourney Weaver is 5"11 dumbass. If you think they have similar body frame you're blind. Time to rewatch Alien mister. Sry if I didn't get your pronouns right, hard to tell these days.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Sigourney Weaver is 5"11 dumbass. If you think they have similar body frame you're blind. Time to rewatch Alien mister. Sry if I didn't get your pronouns right, hard to tell these days.
Oh so now its about height? Cmon man wheres your consistancy

So your theory now its about taller people always beats shorter people?

Havent you heard of Mike Tyson he beat lots of people taller and bigger than him

debunked again

whats your next excuses gona be

you dont talk about pronouns to me im straight men dont even try to attack me with that it doesnt work here

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
why did taabe suddenly give up when the predator activated the cloak?

Cause he knew he was fucked, kinda like Billy. Tried to do one last stand but the Predator caught him from the back.

He doesn't just give up, he tells Naru to run and he can sense the Predator behind him but before he can turn and try and attack, he gets impaled with the claws.

JayK47

Seriously, the killing blow to the predator basically ruins the movie for me.
What we've all been waiting for!

I am sure his full review will be worth watching. This early impression covers most of the issues I have with the film. And some comments to it cover the rest. I think the only issue I had with the original film was how long covering yourself in mud made you invisible to the predator. This movie is even worse. Her method to become invisible to the predator is so out of touch to reality.

Airbus Jr

Banned

I am sure his full review will be worth watching. This early impression covers most of the issues I have with the film. And some comments to it cover the rest. I think the only issue I had with the original film was how long covering yourself in mud made you invisible to the predator. This movie is even worse. Her method to become invisible to the predator is so out of touch to reality.
the predator technology in this movie are not as advanced, it is more limited, only have 1 mode, dont have heartbeat sensor etc

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
As species with hunting as a big part of their culture who also have space faring tech that seems a bit odd though.
movies sets in like....what ? 1500s?

Just like every civilization even predator tech evolve too like humans

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I thought it was okay and I don't really think she was a Mary Sue like some had mentioned.
For the most part others did the most damage to the Predator and weakened him for her to capitalise on it at the end
Her bother was kicking the Predators ass until he cloaked himself
Overall this felt a bit like Prometheus to me.
Take that as you will.

Ulysses 31

Gold Member
movies sets in like....what ? 1500s?

Just like every civilization even predator tech evolve too like humans
Developing the ability to travel to other planets/solar systems seems way more advanced to me than developing heartbeat sensors. Maybe that predator was just being a good sport if we're being good faith towards the movie.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Cause he knew he was fucked, kinda like Billy. Tried to do one last stand but the Predator caught him from the back.

He doesn't just give up, he tells Naru to run and he can sense the Predator behind him but before he can turn and try and attack, he gets impaled with the claws.
just felt weird really , dude was dodging alien projectiles and fought well , then suddenly looks depressed and froze

Last edited:

ShadowNate

It was a good fun movie. Did not offer much to the lore of Predator, but considering what the previous sequels did when trying to introduce something new, I think I'm ok with it.

The photography was good, the editing especially duing the last fight scene was a bad -- I was kind of lost in a couple of shots about who was who and why something worked to wound the predator.

Anyway, still a fun watch, some really nice moments, and
the dog survived

I don't expect I'll remember it long, but for a summer movie you could do a lot worse.

Reactions: Alx
Saw it last night and it’s a good solid action flick. It is beautifully shot and well acted.

Whatever controversy surrounding the film because of wokeness (my guess overall is because it’s starting a woman) is purely sensationalized on the media for clicks and ad revenue; it is just as idiotic as the “controversy” surrounding Lightyear and the innocuous kissing scene. Like the liberal left, opposers of woke ideology bend words to the point where it loses all meaning. Nowadays anything that even remotely stars a minority or - gasp - a woman, is labeled woke.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I mean look at this disgusting post by one of your misogyny friend J jason10mm

This is a war/violence genre, it is so dominated by men that the women who engage in it can practically be singled out by name versus the MILLIONS of names males next to them

No offence but some of you folks here are realy messed up
How dare you. I love women. They make the best sandwiches!

I think you are taking this a bit too personal, time to feel some grass under your feet.

SJRB

Gold Member

The climax was a little goofy, for sure. All placement was absolutely perfect and everything happened exactly according to plan.

Also seemed like the predator had an int debuff in that fight.

jason10mm

Gold Member
You say warrior women who can stand toe to toe in combat with men is mythical stuff made up by Hollywood, but in the same post above it you admit there have been real warrior women in our history who have done just that.

Would it be okay if it was Joan Of Arc against the Predator? She went into battle and killed male opponents on the battlefield.

How about Boudica? She was a right fucking maniac.
Did Joan actually swing a sword at someone? It's debatable I think.

And IIRC Boudica fought in the nude, I'll allow it :p

I also don't think there is any evidence she stood in the shield wall.

Point being is that those women are so singular, so unique, so far outside the norm, that to criticize someone for preferring men to do the battle is insane as in 99.99999999% of cases of battle in all of human history it is men fighting men.

It would be like wanting to see 1/3rd of all childbirth in film be from men 'cause representation!

adamsapple

Developing the ability to travel to other planets/solar systems seems way more advanced to me than developing heartbeat sensors. Maybe that predator was just being a good sport if we're being good faith towards the movie.

This was a "feral" predator, and the creators have told us that different parts of Predator worlds have different kinds of Predators, like humans.

So it's a safe assumption that the technology will also not be 1 : 1 in all of them. Besides, this movie is set 300~ years ago, tech probably evolved in Predator world like human world too.

And there's always the never-officially-confirmed-but-often-talked-about theory that the Predators themselves inherited the technology from a smarter alien race that they brute forced because of their strength.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Gold Member
This was a "feral" predator, and the creators have told us that different parts of Predator worlds have different kinds of Predators, like humans.

So it's a safe assumption that the technology will also not be 1 : 1 in all of them. Besides, this movie is set 300~ years ago, tech probably evolved in Predator world like human world too.

And there's always the never-officially-confirmed-but-often-talked-about theory that the Predators themselves inherited the technology from a smarter alien race that they brute forced because of their strength.
Still seems more like a case of being a good sport than not having the tech at all. A space faring species with hunting in their blood would've developed tech to track their prey before developing space travel.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Point being is that those women are so singular, so unique, so far outside the norm, that to criticize someone for preferring men to do the battle is insane as in 99.99999999% of cases of battle in all of human history it is men fighting men.

Oh, I’m not suggesting women often are combat warriors, but they have existed, and it’s perfectly acceptable to portray that kind of character in a sci-fi action movie about a big silly alien with dreadlocks. Especially when the film goes at length to greatly weaken the predator prior to its fight with Naru.

adamsapple

Still seems more like a case of being a good sport than not having the tech at all. A space faring species with hunting in their blood would've developed tech to track their prey before developing space travel.

I guess they probably tweak and add more to their tech after each hunt and whatever lessons they learn from it.

RAÏSanÏa

For the most part others did the most damage to the Predator and weakened him for her to capitalise on it at the end
Her bother was kicking the Predators ass until he cloaked himself
That scene where the gun doesn't fire and she yells to draw its attention and he spears it was a great release all around.
The ending didn't bother me and seemed comparable with the other films.

The fights seemed a bit inspired by Brotherhood of the Wolf with lighting/camera/motion, a little grander with new tech. A little more development it could go far.

Reactions: TGO

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I mean we have nuclear ballistic missiles, computers in our pockets and people are out there right now spraying themselves with deer piss and notching an arrow to their bow.

Ulysses 31

Gold Member
I mean we have nuclear ballistic missiles, computers in our pockets and people are out there right now spraying themselves with deer piss and notching an arrow to their bow.
In war I'd expect those to be used but so far predators engage more in low key hunts in secluded areas.

Konnor

Pretty good flick, it was a little forgettable but other than that it was fun. Obviously doesn't even compare with the original but it's good enough.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Now I'm wondering if YOU watched the movie.

She DEFINITELY kicks the boy hunters ass like she's Jon Bones Jones. The only time the guy gets a shot in is when the other dude helps him pull off a cheap hit.

She DEFINITELY goes into one of the French camps and murders like 5 men by using her girl magic.

Honestly, go watch the movie again. They make the little girl the most physically imposing character in the film other than the bear.

Folks, one of the reasons we liked the first Predator is because Arnold Schwarzenegger looked like our alpha predator. This chick looks like a Make a Wish kid.

Adding Spoilers.

I don't think the establishment or her ramp are done all that great in the movie, but what they were trying to convey is that she is a would-be, trained hunter that often hesitates (she has a hard time catching rabbits, loosing her bow for the red tail, attacking the lion. What cures her of that hesitation is the same in the confrontation with the bear, her tribes' scouting party, the French fur traders, and the predator. It's her wanting to protect what she loves (in order: her dog, her brother, her dog again, and her brother and tribe. In particular, I think the used the tussle against the scouting party to establish her brawling chops and the paid it off the French fur traders. That ramp certainly didn't work for me and it could have used better establishment at the beginning of the movie (maybe a flashback sequence with her fighting with her brother).

Arnold might have been an alpha predator in the first movie but he didn't beat the Predator with his strength or with technology, he used what he learned (mud to mask his heat signature) and used guerilla tactics to defeat a stronger and more technologically advanced opponent. Naru defeated the Predator in a similar fashion. Both Arnold and Naru used the Predator's reliance on technology against them, though Naru's was far more implausible and blunt usage of that theme.

If anything, the portrayal of the Predator was the most egregious thing about this movie. The amount of punishment it took far exceeds what we saw in Predator. It's almost like the film runners got Arnold films confused and made him more of a terminator than Predator. I don't think the original Predator would have been dumb enough to brawl with a bear or find himself down fire range against dozens of fur traders. The final sequence is silly in this regard too, but probably not the most silly thing about that scene thanks to getting him to stand exactly where he needed to stand (in a sing hole no less) for the mask payoff.

Last edited:

sCHOCOLATE

Agree. I thought the Predator's death was poorly written.

Naru placing the skull mask in an approximate position to target the middle of the bog... Okay.
Naru counting on the Predator to stop moving precisely where she needed it to... Zero probability.
The Predator enters the bog, submerges and then resurfaces, with eyes on Naru (who has suddenly become a stationary target in contrast to all of the earlier fighting). This somehow doesn't trigger a flight (instead of fight) decision from the Predator... Laughable.
The Predator with its enhanced hearing capabilities, hears the skull reticle activation tone and the tracking beeps, watches the guided bolts miss the intended target, circle the bog, then sees the reticule pointed at him and takes no defense posture... F~ Right Off With That!

Overall the movie was great and the finale paid hommage (a little too closely perhaps) to the original Predator, but Prey's ending for its Predator was disappointing.

If anything, the portrayal of the Predator was the most egregious thing about this movie. The amount of punishment it took far exceeds what we saw in Predator. It's almost like the film runners got Arnold films confused and made him more of a terminator than Predator.
I think they were trying to make it seem vulnerable for the final fight but the execution was clumsy. A lot of stuff in the film just falls a bit short. I really hope they take what works in this film and elevate it for the next entry.

I would like to see the next film take place in feudal Japan or if they wanted to do an urban environment as a nod to Pred 2, maybe old London?

bender

What time is it?
I think they were trying to make it seem vulnerable for the final fight but the execution was clumsy. A lot of stuff in the film just falls a bit short. I really hope they take what works in this film and elevate it for the next entry.

I would like to see the next film take place in feudal Japan or if they wanted to do an urban environment as a nod to Pred 2, maybe old London?

Clumsy is an apt way to describe a lot about the film but the Predator often put himself in dumb situations that not even then drunkest of redneck hunters would find themselves in.

bender

What time is it?
It's a concrete jungle where it can easily retreat and hide. :messenger_winking_tongue:

But yeah, Predator 2 seems like an exception of its usual hunting grounds. (Only watched 1,2 and Predators though and some AVP ones that I don't remember at all)

Touché. That opening shot is brilliant and I love how it pulls the rug out from under you in seconds.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber

Jack the Ripper was really a Predator.

Naru placing the skull mask in an approximate position to target the middle of the bog... Okay.
Naru counting on the Predator to stop moving precisely where she needed it to... Zero probability.
The Predator enters the bog, submerges and then resurfaces, with eyes on Naru (who has suddenly become a stationary target in contrast to all of the earlier fighting). This somehow doesn't trigger a flight (instead of fight) decision from the Predator... Laughable.
The Predator with its enhanced hearing capabilities, hears the skull reticle activation tone and the tracking beeps, watches the guided bolts miss the intended target, circle the bog, then sees the reticule pointed at him and takes no defense posture... F~ Right Off With That!
It's quicksand/sinkhole.....of course the Predator couldn't move. What they SHOULD have done was have it fall into the sinkhole and she shoots it through its eye or something while it's stuck.
Oh god.

Now I’m desperate to see a Predator movie set in a gothic as hell Victorian London, fighting people dressed like this.

dark souls kai GIF
My thoughts exactly lol.

Top Bottom