• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project X Zone |OT| Reiji & Xiaomu VS The World

LuuKyK

Whaaaat? Are you telling me the longer combos dont give you more EXP? How come I am already on chapter 22 and I still thought it did? >_>

Gartooth

Used Reiji and Xiamou's multi attack for the first time, that has to be one of the biggest WTF supers I've ever seen... seriously death by cosplay?

Just grabbed the LE today. The store I went to still has 3 LImited Editions left. Anyone know how big the initial shipment was?

As for the game, it seems enjoyable from what little I've played. Gonna dig in tonight! :)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Oh shit, it's XP gain and not EXP gain for high combos? Christ. Well, that completely throws out my theory before that MultiAttacks were good for building EXP. They net you zero bonus EXP. Though I stand by my earlier statement that MultiAttacks will still net you the full EXP as killing each enemy individually sans bonuses.

I can't believe I missed that. :( Well, I've got to be more careful from now on, then. The only ways of earning bonus EXP then are Skills, Accessories, Special Finishes, and Criticals?

ohlawd

How or when do I get multiple attacks? And how do I use them?

Some you get after finishing a certain chapter, the others you get by leveling up normally.

Press Start and your highlighter thing will turn blue instead of yellow. Look at the top right to see how many enemies you can target. Some are 2 only, others are 2-4.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You know for a series with as many characters as this game has it kind of sucks that you're fighting the same bosses over... and over... and over... and over... at least a couple of them flip sides after a while.

Welcome to SRW games :p

Whaaaat? Are you telling me the longer combos dont give you more EXP? How come I am already on chapter 22 and I still thought it did? >_>

They have a higher potential on getting you X points I think.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I have to say, I really was not expecting
Saya to join you.
That came out of left field.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Some you get after finishing a certain chapter, the others you get by leveling up normally.

Press Start and your highlighter thing will turn blue instead of yellow. Look at the top right to see how many enemies you can target. Some are 2 only, others are 2-4.
You also need to have 100% XP in order for the option to appear.

Boss Doggie

I always pretend Vashyron is voiced by Nolan North.

Also pairing him with Chun Li/Morrigan is the best.

Nemesis_

Can someone explain to me what these moves are with an S in a diamond? They never seem to execute and I can't seem to work out how to.

The tutorials are so unorganised and messy so I can't be bothered wading through them and I have a sneaking suspicion someone here will be able to explain it a bit better :3

Jintor

Can someone explain to me what these moves are with an S in a diamond? They never seem to execute and I can't seem to work out how to.

The tutorials are so unorganised and messy so I can't be bothered wading through them and I have a sneaking suspicion someone here will be able to explain it a bit better :3

Characters have a tech rating that affects the chance of status effects triggering. S skills have a chance of triggering stun which will prevent enemies from countering and guarantee a critical on the next attack (if that attack starts a new combo chain, I think)

Nemesis_

Characters have a tech rating that affects the chance of status effects triggering. S skills have a chance of triggering stun which will prevent enemies from countering and guarantee a critical on the next attack (if that attack starts a new combo chain, I think)

But then why do these attacks usually not trigger when I press them? Should I be waiting for a meter to build up or something? I notice that when these moves do execute they are quite cinematic and do more damage.

Jintor

You're probably looking at the special attacks that can only be triggered with 100% meter (XP is the ingame terminology but I always confuse it with EXP so I just call it meter).

Nemesis_

You're probably looking at the special attacks that can only be triggered with 100% meter (XP is the ingame terminology but I always confuse it with EXP so I just call it meter).

Oh, okay! Cheers! Makes so much sense now, I use a lot of meter blocking and counter attacking so that would explain why these moves are so often not usable >_>

but thanks!

Jintor

I think all solo characters and all pairs get a unique line

man the opening animation was done by trigger? that would explain why it's so rad

RangerBAD

Oh shit, it's XP gain and not EXP gain for high combos? Christ. Well, that completely throws out my theory before that MultiAttacks were good for building EXP. They net you zero bonus EXP. Though I stand by my earlier statement that MultiAttacks will still net you the full EXP as killing each enemy individually sans bonuses.

I can't believe I missed that. :( Well, I've got to be more careful from now on, then. The only ways of earning bonus EXP then are Skills, Accessories, Special Finishes, and Criticals?

Yup. Full meter means go for criticals or to just get rid of the enemy.

Bladenic

Dante and Demitri are so OP. Paired them with Heihachi and they kill most enemies simply with a counter, and they're my go to "obliterate this boss" team.

Dante and Demitri are so OP. Paired them with Heihachi and they kill most enemies simply with a counter, and they're my go to "obliterate this boss" team.

Definitely my favorite team. I find it easy to crit with them as well, though I don't really care for heihachi that much.

Definitely my favorite team. I find it easy to crit with them as well, though I don't really care for heihachi that much.

Agreed that Dante and Demitri (though I've only started chapter 13, so who knows) are pretty easy to crit with, and Heihachi is great since his passive effect is to nullify enemy block

vctor182

You could stun the enemies with other units and then use the multiattack in order to make it critical and get 5% exp more per kill

Still have no clue what I am doing, or who half of these dudes are...but having a blast regardless.

the writing or translation is worth noting so far as it is really good and each "character" really shines through. Dante's "like I give a fuck" attitude , Arthur's manliness and Ryu's....bland as fuckness.. all are here and I'm guessing it's the same for the characters I know nothing about.

it is funny how everyone is just okay with the whole mixed universe thing. "oh this shit again...meh" "Oh hai Chun-Li".

lol.

Looking forward to actually diving in (just beat prolouge 5) over the Holiday Break.

Bladenic

Still have no clue what I am doing, or who half of these dudes are...but having a blast regardless.

the writing or translation is worth noting so far as it is really good and each "character" really shines through. Dante's "like I give a fuck" attitude , Arthur's manliness and Ryu's....bland as fuckness.. all are here and I'm guessing it's the same for the characters I know nothing about.

it is funny how everyone is just okay with the whole mixed universe thing. "oh this shit again...meh" "Oh hai Chun-Li".

lol.

Looking forward to actually diving in (just beat prolouge 5) over the Holiday Break.

The characters knowing each other comes from Namco x Capcom (and maybe other games likes VS. series?).

Speaking of, anyone else think it's weird that Chun-Li got paired with Morrigan? They're an awesome team but it's weird that Demitri wasn't paired with Morrigan (though him and Dante are a funny duo).

The characters knowing each other comes from Namco x Capcom (and maybe other games likes VS. series?).

Speaking of, anyone else think it's weird that Chun-Li got paired with Morrigan? They're an awesome team but it's weird that Demitri wasn't paired with Morrigan (though him and Dante are a funny duo).

Mainly from Namco x Capcom, and then there's the relationship with Reiji/Xiaomu and Haken/Kaguya from Endless Frontier. I'm really glad I played a bit of NXC. I just appreciate their interactions just a tad bit more :p

I also find Chun-Li/Morrigan rather strange, but I'm okay with it since Demitri was paired up with Morrigan in NXC.

Here I am kinda wishing that Phoenix Wright was in this game somehow...

Boss Doggie

Naw, Demitri and Morrigan were solo units (although Morrigan got Lilith). But in NxC each character is a unit regardless if it's a pair or not. However the pairs lack the "cohesiveness" and fluidity found in the pairs in this game.

Naw, Demitri and Morrigan were solo units (although Morrigan got Lilith). But in NxC each character is a unit regardless if it's a pair or not. However the pairs lack the "cohesiveness" and fluidity found in the pairs in this game.

Oh right I forgot about that. You're right on the "cohesiveness" of pairs in this game because NXC was a mess... I was just so sure that Demitri and Morrigan were paired cause it made sense o_O

I don't think it's too weird for either of those combos. Morrigan was always a bit of a Chun-Li fan in the older games. Like Morrigan doing the cosplay thing of Chun-Li for a lot of her victory poses, and both are written as the main female leads. I'm guessing that's part of the reasoning behind that.

Demitri and Dante are a joke / meta thing since the VA's are known best friends in real life. Which is why they flow really well together. But that's what these crossovers are about in my opinion. Stuff like this, and even in SRW games you'll get references or characters wondering why like Masaki and Heero happen to sound the same.

Loona

Arthur's manliness

I'd love it if they managed to toss in a reference to this commercial, although I doubt Arthur's been as idle in the NxC/PXZ setting.

Mainly from Namco x Capcom, and then there's the relationship with Reiji/Xiaomu and Haken/Kaguya from Endless Frontier. I'm really glad I played a bit of NXC. I just appreciate their interactions just a tad bit more :p

And apparently Akira and Pai know Bahn from Fighters Megamix, despite that game's apparent lack of plot or dialogue. and TV Tropes mentions an interaction between Valkyrie and Xiaomu since both were recruitable units in a Japan-only game called Brave Company, where you manage a sort of "heroes for hire" agency in a medieval setting (makes some sense, one lived for hundreds of years and the other seems quite timeless as a heavens-sent figure...).

Well, they have a Multiple Assault :p

I miss these more than anything... if only the engine was a bit more flexible to allow them, if only between the solo units, for example...

<3 Triple Shoryuken in NxC, or Guy pitching in for the Captain Sword, or Lei-Lei tossing the Regina and the RE Dead Aim guys lots of guns.

I'd buy a 3DS port. That and localize Exceed and I can die happy.

Same, and a digital release of both Endless Frontier games would be a good idea, considering how much resellers are charging for it on Amazon or eBay - last I checked the prices for the localized first game were ridiculous, so there's something of a market for that, and PXZ being out helps advertise them.

I found that one character, Boroboro Man(?) pretty awesome. You don't see characters like him very often anymore.
I found that one character, Boroboro Man(?) pretty awesome. You don't see characters like him very often anymore.

Bravoman - I didn't realize people actually liked him on his own as depicted there, alhtough I loved how his setting worked seamlessly with a lot of other Namco stuff in NxC (Dr. Bomb working under Heihachi doesn't feel silly by Tekken standards, for example).

I have good and bad new for you then - there's a Namco-supported webcomic (and now animated series) based on the character at shiftylook.com, but the depiction there deviates quite a bit from how it got fleshed out in NxC (while in NxC Waya followed her prime directive of taking down Bravo, she grudgingly regarded fulfilling that a victory for Dr. Bomb, not her; in the comic, she somehow both wants to kill him and is in love with the guy, and is also vulnerable to being called fat despite being a robot) - when in doubt, the comic goes for attempts at humor and playing with its medium.

Demitri and Dante are a joke / meta thing since the VA's are known best friends in real life. Which is why they flow really well together. But that's what these crossovers are about in my opinion. Stuff like this, and even in SRW games you'll get references or characters wondering why like Masaki and Heero happen to sound the same.

And then there's the fact that both can turn into more overtly demonic forms, which is played with in the game's intro animation and their ultimate attack, I think.

-Horizon-

Finished chapter...whatever the God Eater with the rabbit dude chapter was near the beginning (chapter 6?)
Really liking the game so far. Is it repetitive? Kind of, but I'm willing to overlook that because its been so entertaining.

Isaccard

Finished chapter...whatever the God Eater with the rabbit dude chapter was near the beginning (chapter 6?)
Really liking the game so far. Is it repetitive? Kind of, but I'm willing to overlook that because its been so entertaining.

See you in about 10 more chapters :lol

It's repetitive as fuck, but once you get your favorite teams then you can easily overlook that :p

any RPG could be considered repetitive as you are battling enemies with the same battle system. i just happen to really like this battle system.

now that I'm on chapter 23, the "talky parts" are starting to disinterest me. like that R + A

antibolo

Banned
I bought this game purely on impulse (was happening to be at Best Buy for something else on release day and saw the Limited Edition on shelves, was like "wait what it's already out??") and I've been having a blast so far, I'm at 16 hours in or so. The way they mashed up fighting game concepts and aesthetics into a turn based strategy game is fucking genius.

But my problem with the game is that it's just way too easy. Like during all my playtime so far I've never even been remotely feeling any danger of losing. Does it get harder later or am I just to accept that this is simply a game you're just supposed to plow through without worrying too much about being challenged in any meaningful way?

Feels like this game is designed to be the antithesis of Fire Emblem...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
So far I'm doing real good on the character recognition front! The Gods Eaters,Tales of ?, and Resonance of Fate ones are all new to me. Unsurprisingly none of these games have demos lol. There sure are lotsa characters who haven't appeared on nintendo systems before!

Oh no! Devilotte's a bad influence on Estelle!!

After 2 chapters of the team being split up its great ta have everyone back together! But that just means they can and have thrown a crapton more baddies onto the field x.x

"Detestable Golden Sunny Demon" Did I mention yet how great the chapter titles are?

When the heck did Bahn and Batsu become acquainted??

I always pretend Vashyron is voiced by Nolan North.

Oohh I just paired him with them for the first time. This oughta be good!

And apparently Akira and Pai know Bahn from Fighters Megamix, despite that game's apparent lack of plot or dialogue.
Just having met before is all that matters! Clearly no words were needed since they spoke with their fists! Now what I dun get is this "8 stars" and "train to be a tiger" stuff Akira's rambling on about despite having played all the VFs! I've never seen the VF anime but could it be references to that o.o?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finished Chapter 21. FINALLY, Chris & Jill are back. Really liked all the RE, House of the Dead, and Zombie Revenge nods/references, especially when
Chris thought Jill was almost a Jill Sandwich.

I need to try this the next time I have the chance. Wonder if someone has made a list of all the special conversations you can have between pairs & solo units.

antibolo

Banned
So far I'm doing real good on the character recognition front! The Gods Eaters,Tales of ?, and Resonance of Fate ones are all new to me. Unsurprisingly none of these games have demos lol. There sure are lotsa characters who haven't appeared on nintendo systems before!

While it's not exactly a demo per se, God Eater Burst is actually free on PS Plus right now.

Top Bottom