• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project X Zone |OT| Reiji & Xiaomu VS The World

ohlawd

I wouldn't worry about being underleveled. It happened to me as well but most of my characters caught up to the avg level of the enemies by chapters 30-endgame.

so... beat ch15... think im kinda done with this :/

Feel like i'm just doing the same thing over and over, and there is really no carrot on the stick in this unlike most srpgs. Haven't really gotten a new character in a few stages either outside of solo characters which i could care less about (is there anyway to turn off their cut-in at end of their attacks?).

When do I start getting my 5th attack?

Anything else left after that besides some skills? Any super ultra finisher that uses 150%?

Jintor

Fucking level 29. Instead of revealing the title card 2 turns in like every other level so far, it reveals the title card the turn before you swarm all four (!) bosses with a bajillion damage in a turn.

Jawmuncher

I'm on level 25 I think.
Regardless I'm still having a ton of fun with this. I see a lot of people complaint about it being competitive but that hasn't set in for me yet. Only thing worrying me is the last 3 missions I did that had a time limit of 15 turns kinda beat my ass. I beat them but had to use far more items than I would've liked. Hopefully I can get a break from that and get some more items.

Sadist

Dem reinforcements.

Chapter 29 was fairly easy actually. Two turns before the end I could free
Zero and Mega Man X
and I managed to clean up 90% of the map.

cj_iwakura

Who's going to do a PxZ speedrun marathon?

Clear the game under 30 hours and impress me.

I think it's safe to call this impossible. The combat requires playing out each and every action, and most chapters entail killing EVERYTHING(which I do anyway mind you).

Chapter 20 down. X and Zero aren't half as good as I hoped, but Tron's dialogue is fun.

Vile doesn't sound quite like I imagined. Expected more synthesizing.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
So wow according to the time between game saving it took me over 2 hours ta beat Chapter 28! Even with the surprises in store it wasn't difficult just long. Maybe I was alil overly cautious but when your teams super split up what do ya expect?

Onto Chapter 29 we have .hack//ZERO referencing?! Oh gawd western fans'll be even more left in the dark!

Jin & Xiaoyu think Bahn doesn't look like a highschooler LOL my thoughts exactly! Next someone'll try to proclaim B.M. is one as well >_>

When the heck will Ichigo & Sakura finally get their Up attack? I think they're the last peeps without it. They're right up in level with everyone else to L36~37 so its not like they are behind.

Project Typo Zone said:
Devilotte: "The World, a realm in cyberspace... Someday it will be mine as well!"
BlackRose: "I wouldn't try it if I would you. That would make us enemies."
Kite: "A quest to defeat the princess... That's sounds pretty innovative, actually."
Sloppy!

Forced to carry one party member and she has a terrible voice acting D:
On the plus side there was plenty of grinding to be had!

Fucking level 29. Instead of revealing the title card 2 turns in like every other level so far, it reveals the title card the turn before you swarm all four (!) bosses with a bajillion damage in a turn.
Ohh! Was wondering if I'd missed that or not. I only just got the second set of stage conditions! Even more craziness in store huh?

Bladenic

That's why I killed EVERYTHING. Then all I had to do was get my characters' asses over to the last boss of the stage.

My postal services forgot about me it seems because i still don't have the game and amazon told me it was shipped since god knows when.

i check my postal box 6 times a day but nothing ... this sucks.

Some of you even have finished the game already ...i hate my postal services at times.

ohlawd

My postal services forgot about me it seems because i still don't have the game and amazon told me it was shipped since god knows when.

i check my postal box 6 times a day but nothing ... this sucks.

Some of you even have finished the game already ...i hate my postal services at times.

Look at this way:

By the time you have the game and assuming you're playing it nonstop, you'll catch up with the other posters itt.

L.O.R.D

just finished chapter 29
really really GOOD chapter
this game has nice story,i didn't it was that good

just did this combo
m5zn_e938df721318c1e.jpg

ohlawd

mhm Zephyre/Leanne are sweet for racking up high Cross and Max Hits.

iirc I have over 150 for Cross and 160 for Max Hit.

ohlawd

sorry hahah I forgot who I used for solo and support units.

I'm sure there's people in here that have higher combos and can post which characters they used.

Sadist

I didn't say it was hard, man, just tedious
Wasn't actually commenting on your post :p

I agree on the tedious part btw. It's not around in every level, but there are moments that make me scratch my head.

Finished up chapter 32 btw. Fairly simple and "quickish".

Videoneon

We might have our first indication of US sales performance.

edit: banned news site

Wii U

New Super Luigi U
New Super Mario Bros. U
Super Mario World
LEGO City Undercover
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Mega Man X ( =D )
TANK! TANK! TANK!
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Super Mario Bros. 2
Trine 2: Director's Cut

3DS

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Fire Emblem Awakening
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Project X Zone
Mario Kart 7
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Super Mario 3D Land
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons

According to Nintendo's games website, which lists its "best sellers" for each of its platforms, Project X Zone is fourth. Perhaps Nintendo has some sort of internal data already? These most certainly aren't lifetime figures but must be monthly or something.

No hard numbers yet, nothing to get super excited about now, but a moderate call for optimism, maybe.

The sooner you play SMTIV and abandon your other games, the better.

I have SMTIV right now and I want to fire it up. But if I do, I won't finish PXZ, and I need to do that. I was going hard on the ARR beta this past week, so I need to wrap this up before I start SMT.

I don't even remember where I was. Chapter 30 or something?

Bladenic

Omgggg Chapter 32 only took an hour. It's a gaming miracle. I actually really enjoyed it. Manageable amount of enemies who were almost all super weak and went down to one combo or even a counter from the stronger characters, and a mere 2 bosses. Hope 33 is just as short (lol). Trying to finish this up by the weekend, at least.

I can't do this anymore oh god. I'm on chapter 22. It's so repetitive in the worst way. Even the barely there story is getting too repetitive. The same lines coming out of different groups of people. It is tiring. I think the game is really fun, but I'm burnt out on it. It isn't so intense that I can't just stop for a while and go back, which is what I think I will do.

Jintor

That's exactly what it feels like it's for, to work away at it over the course of a few months here and there. It's not too complex you need to keep in mind who does what, you're basically just chipping away at a block of granite or something.

I lied. I'm at chapter 34. I fired it up at lunch.

It's a fun, meaningless game. My joy comes in the ridiculousness of the attacks, the great interactions between characters, and the music. The plot doesn't exist.

That, and it's the closest thing to Endless Frontier Exceed I'm ever going to get, so...

I'll probably play some more tonight while I watch some Breaking Bad.

gunstarhero

I'm only about 3-4 hours into this game - so obviously haven't played for very long... but I'm a bit concerned about the "strategy" element here.

Did I miss something in the tutorial? It seems very shallow in regards to planning your attacks. I wasn't expecting Tactics Ogre level of depth, but is it just "move your guy in for an attack, and bring in support characters if they are near by"...

I feel like I'm missing something - does the fighting techniques ever expand past the 3 attacks they give you? Does good timing net you criticals - or is there more to it?

demidar

I'm only about 3-4 hours into this game - so obviously haven't played for very long... but I'm a bit concerned about the "strategy" element here.

Did I miss something in the tutorial? It seems very shallow in regards to planning your attacks. I wasn't expecting Tactics Ogre level of depth, but is it just "move your guy in for an attack, and bring in support characters if they are near by"...

I feel like I'm missing something - does the fighting techniques ever expand past the 3 attacks they give you? Does good timing net you criticals - or is there more to it?

No, you pretty much got it. It's a pretty shitty "strategy" game really.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
No, you pretty much got it. It's a pretty shitty "strategy" game really.

No way. This game doesn't test your mental fortitude or anything, but it is more than mashing attacks.

There are a lot of posts throughout this thread that kind of expands on the combat system a bit, but I've quoted mine below for a little convenience, even though it was more for folks literally starting out. But to answer your questions above: yes, you unlock additional attacks as you level up, and criticals are done by timing your attacks to strike the enemy as it's about to touch the ground from a juggle.

It basically comes down to trading damage/XP gain/EXP gain. It's not super deep, but there are things to shoot for and optimize.

There are some practical breakdowns in this thread, and actually we don't really know everything right now (as is evidenced by the EXP discussion above, lol).

Some practical tips:
The flow of combat is based around trading EXP gain, Damage output, and XP gain. You can look in the stats of each pair. Check out their individual moves. Each move gains certain XP meter and does a certain class of damage. As you've already figured out, performing every different attack during the battle phase will net you a +1 attack.

Special Attacks cost 100% XP meter. You can actually earn up to 150% XP meter. Meter above 100% can be gained during Cross X (where you have assists comboing your opponent along with the primary pair). Cross X, however, does not allow the enemy to be juggled, and robs you of the ability to get Critical Hits (your pair strikes the enemy just as they're about to land from the juggle).

You should pretty much always continue to juggle enemies, even after they die. You get a higher combo for bonus XP, continue to build XP meter, and get a chance at landing criticals for bonus EXP.

Special moves do huge huge damage. You get a 20% EXP bonus for Special move finishes. Multiattacks give a 10% bonus XP for each kill. Pairs earn multiattacks at different levels, and you won't actually see them for a long time after the prologue, until your characters are around level 19. Each successful Critical Attack earns a bonus 5% EXP. High combos and high CrossX combos also yield EXP bonuses. Special attacks can be Criticals as well.

Tech isn't explained really well, but it's a stat that gives you a higher chance of inflicting a status effect with attacks. Those letters next to the attacks in the stat menu shows the possible status effects. I forget them right now, but they're listed earlier in the thread.

The only thing timing your attacks does is let you clear levels slightly faster.

If you mash assist/solo+attack buttons and go full cross all the time you're still going to easily clear levels because the game throws so many healing items at you.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The only thing timing your attacks does is let you clear levels slightly faster.

If you mash assist/solo+attack buttons and go full cross all the time you're still going to easily clear levels because the game throws so many healing items at you.

Well, the game's easy. That has little to do with how shallow or deep the gameplay is.

Again, not saying it's deep. It's not. But there's more than button mashing if you choose for there to be.

demidar

No way. This game doesn't test your mental fortitude or anything, but it is more than mashing attacks.

There are a lot of posts throughout this thread that kind of expands on the combat system a bit, but I've quoted mine below for a little convenience, even though it was more for folks literally starting out. But to answer your questions above: yes, you unlock additional attacks as you level up, and criticals are done by timing your attacks to strike the enemy as it's about to touch the ground from a juggle.

It basically comes down to trading damage/XP gain/EXP gain. It's not super deep, but there are things to shoot for and optimize.

When it comes to positioning units on the grid map, it's very shallow. There's a lot more depth during the actual combat (I already do everything you've outlined) but it still isn't that deep.

Also, the UI could be a lot better like Fire Emblem.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
When it comes to positioning units on the grid map, it's very shallow. There's a lot more depth during the actual combat (I already do everything you've outlined) but it still isn't that deep.

Also, the UI could be a lot better like Fire Emblem.

Oh, then yes. It's pretty shallow in that regard. I suppose you can technically have ranged characters behind your melee characters, and space out your characters so that they avoid Multi-Attacks. Skill usage becomes more important as the game goes on, too. But it's certainly nothing special.

I guess I never really viewed the game as part of the Tactics RPG genre.

demidar

Oh, then yes. It's pretty shallow in that regard. I suppose you can technically have ranged characters behind your melee characters, and space out your characters so that they avoid Multi-Attacks. Skill usage becomes more important as the game goes on, too. But it's certainly nothing special.

I guess I never really viewed the game as part of the Tactics RPG genre.

I think anything with a grid map can be viewed as a tactics or strategy game. If I could try and fix the "strategy" part I would:
-Make maps smaller and slightly decrease movement speed
-Give everyone their own Cross Points and maximum XP (to make units less homogenous and prevent hoarding of XP)
-Either increase XP gain or decrease XP cost of skills (to balance individual gains as opposed to mutual)
-Diversify skills (skills are too generic, Range +2, Heal 30% health, First Critical etc.)
-Make successful criticals generate more XP and deal more damage
-Weaken Special Attacks and subsequently modify Special Attack cost and damage per pair (far too powerful which makes players only spend it on bosses or minibosses)
-Remove multi-attacks from some units (give some pairs some hardcoded weaknesses to promote group synergy) and change cost and damage of the rest (to balance with individual XP bar)
-Make solo units add more to the pair (like additional range/attack range, move speed, number of attacks, strength and defense and tech)
-Weaken boss health (they're too tanky and don't pose much of a threat when isolated)
-Allow sprinting which doubles movement but disables attack
-Add stage hazards
-Add teleporting and mobility skills like momentary flight
-Increase support unit damage to 1.5x the damage of a single attack from the pair
-Increase basic enemy damage (keep their durability the same, promotes smart positioning to reduce enemy dogpiling)
-If a pair falls, they are removed from the current battle (will return in the next battle)
-Moving out of an enemy's/ally's ZOC gives them a free immediate attack (makes positioning more important)
-Decrease item drop rate
-Remove the +1 attack for using all attacks in a fight and add in skills/equipment that increases number of attacks/counterattacks.
-Add flanking (+15% damage from the side, +25% from behind)
-Damage drop-off from attacking at longer ranges (0% at 1 space, -10% per space after, can be nullified by skills or equipment)

Also change the UI so you can easily see enemy attack ranges and add a list of skills available and in effect on the bottom screen when hovering over a unit.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I got a cat ears hat!! Cat/Neneko lovers unite! I love how the Chapter 29 title didn't appear until there was only 2 baddies left. And I ditzed out an totally forgot Vile was still there and marched everyone towards Skeith Zero lol. btw Skeith Zero appearing in a chapter focusing in part on Zero's angst is pretty great.

Chapter 30 proved Selvaria's still a dumb stubborn jerk! I like how they're running so low on villians that they're reduced to multiplying 'em just because. Dural x3? Sure why not! All the more big exp payouts for me! The next one was pretty refreshing in that ya just got to move your whole team forward with none of this splitting up stuff. The lack of treasures to be found was kinda strange however.

Feels like they phoned in Chapter 32's title. "Dead Re-Rising"? C'mon thats hardly different from the prologues "Dead Rising Again"! Pretty short & sweet an whats this? Did we finally at long last destroy a recurring baddie?! And I like how Inca is all into X's weapons and wants to upgrade hers with his gear!

An I'm thankful for the lack of "strategy/tactics" needed. Those kinda games just never end well for me. PXZ being somewhat like Shining Force w/interactive attacks is completely okay with me!

I love those bottom screen team images. Wish there was a place ta grab nice clean pics of 'em. Should be prime official site material but no luck lookin' on those.

I can't do this anymore oh god. I'm on chapter 22. It's so repetitive in the worst way. Even the barely there story is getting too repetitive. The same lines coming out of different groups of people. It is tiring. I think the game is really fun, but I'm burnt out on it. It isn't so intense that I can't just stop for a while and go back, which is what I think I will do.
I'm always thankful that my Tedium Resistance stat is high when it comes ta stuff like this! Things are still fun & fresh on my end 30+ hours & chapters in! Feel bad for all ya peeps that're burned out!

vctor182

Chris&Jill jokes with the Nemesis T-type about how he keeps yelling S.T.A.R.S. even though they're no longer there and are B.S.A.A. cracks me up lol he then starts yelling B.S....A.AAAA

Top Bottom