• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Again for the cheap seats: It wasn't "just a joke". Colin clearly wasn't just "trying to be silly". He wasn't "taken out of context because it's Twitter.". Nor is the content of the joke "women are loud" the major part of the issue.

People know Colin's behavior and his opinions. There are hundreds of hours from him online. His comment, paired with the hashtag were clearly not just him trying to have a little "teehee". It was him expressing his disdain and disrespect for a Women's Movement that he likely believes is pointless. His girlfriend's comments about the Strike and his comments about the March back this up. Even more so when you consider his history and his stances. Rather than say so, he hides his comment behind "a joke" so he can play the victim. He thought it would be a safe and consequence free way to belittle the Strike.

Next: people are not "offended". They aren't "triggered". They aren't whining and they aren't outraged. They are looking at someone's behavior that could most generously be described as trolling and saying he's being a troll/jerk. And his response was to call them sacks of shit.

Finally the comparison to Colin's tweets (which cannot be and should not be expected to be viewed in a vacuum) from someone whose chosen profession is to push his opinions to stand up comedian routines is beyond asinine. Stand up happens in a club, where the atmosphere and expectation is humor. Colin's choice to post his comment using that hashtag is akin to someone going to a Woman's March with a loudspeaker and telling them to go back to the kitchen.

The fault lies with Colin, because he would have diminished a lot of the backlash simply by tweeting any kind of positive or appreciative comment to women in his life or that he looks up to. Even saying "Thanks to my mom" would likely have given him enough of a sense of basic humanity that his "joke" could perhaps be viewed less harshly despite IMO it's clear intentions. But no, Colin lashes out like a cornered animal rather than cede even an inch that saying sometime slightly positive about women on International Women's Day

Tldr; The content of the joke isn't what provoked people to call Colin out. His choice to pair it with the hashtag when combined with a repeating pattern of behavior clearly display an intent to belittle and undermine a women's movement did. Reacting to Colin's blatantly trollish behavior and inconsiderate actions is not being outraged, it's simply calling a spade a spade.
this is a Good Post

RedAssedApe

Banned
In the middle of watching Colin's interview with Jason schreier from kotaku. It's a fantastic interview, an excellent guest and he is great host. It has to be said.

he does a much better job on these conversation with colin videos than on regular episodes of colin was right where he sounds super unnatural/stilted like he's reading some script word for word.

fastmower

Again for the cheap seats: It wasn't "just a joke". Colin clearly wasn't just "trying to be silly". He wasn't "taken out of context because it's Twitter.". Nor is the content of the joke "women are loud" the major part of the issue.

People know Colin's behavior and his opinions. There are hundreds of hours from him online. His comment, paired with the hashtag were clearly not just him trying to have a little "teehee". It was him expressing his disdain and disrespect for a Women's Movement that he likely believes is pointless. His girlfriend's comments about the Strike and his comments about the March back this up. Even more so when you consider his history and his stances. Rather than say so, he hides his comment behind "a joke" so he can play the victim. He thought it would be a safe and consequence free way to belittle the Strike.

Next: people are not "offended". They aren't "triggered". They aren't whining and they aren't outraged. They are looking at someone's behavior that could most generously be described as trolling and saying he's being a troll/jerk. And his response was to call them sacks of shit.

Finally the comparison to Colin's tweets (which cannot be and should not be expected to be viewed in a vacuum) from someone whose chosen profession is to push his opinions to stand up comedian routines is beyond asinine. Stand up happens in a club, where the atmosphere and expectation is humor. Colin's choice to post his comment using that hashtag is akin to someone going to a Woman's March with a loudspeaker and telling them to go back to the kitchen.

The fault lies with Colin, because he would have diminished a lot of the backlash simply by tweeting any kind of positive or appreciative comment to women in his life or that he looks up to. Even saying "Thanks to my mom" would likely have given him enough of a sense of basic humanity that his "joke" could perhaps be viewed less harshly despite IMO it's clear intentions. But no, Colin lashes out like a cornered animal rather than cede even an inch that saying sometime slightly positive about women on International Women's Day

Tldr; The content of the joke isn't what provoked people to call Colin out. His choice to pair it with the hashtag when combined with a repeating pattern of behavior clearly display an intent to belittle and undermine a women's movement did. Reacting to Colin's blatantly trollish behavior and inconsiderate actions is not being outraged, it's simply calling a spade a spade.
You're an intelligent and well spoken person. Thank you for writing what I most likely couldn't.

I thought the PSN worst name of the week (PavinPussDaily) was pretty good, but it'll never beat Dont_shoot_Im_Gay.

I'm confident Sony will let us change our PSN name this E3 ಥ_ಥ
Dont_shoot_Im_Gay is GOAT PSN name and I'll fight anybody who disagrees

Speaking of IGN, Podcast Beyond has evolved into something really awesome albeit different than it used to be. The early months were rocky for sure but ever since Altano and Max calmed down a little bit and Andrew Goldfarb came back, it's been a great podcast. Funny enough, it almost seemed to have coincided with the decline in PSILY's quality lol.

Even on PSILY's worst day, it's still 20 times better than Beyond.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Brilliant post. It's a shame that the Colin defenders will never take the time to read it.

Icolin

Banned
Huh, it'll be interesting to see what they have to say

It's also going to be pretty interesting to see what that crowd is like tbh

It might sound like I'm generalizing, but I think that the Colin fanatics aren't the types to go out in public, so I wouldn't expect any "HAIL COLIN" chants.

Zukkoyaki

It might sound like I'm generalizing, but I think that the Colin fanatics aren't the types to go out in public, so I wouldn't expect any "HAIL COLIN" chants.
I'm of the same mind there. People like that are almost alwayd cowards who would never in a million years act the way they do online in person.

Sure, I don't expect it to be some kind of pro-Colin rally, but it's still going to be interesting to see how they react to it, and how it colours the rest of the panel

Jmille99

75750F49-A9FD-4857-B50B-87D4D79A39D0.gif

Will be interested to see how the panel goes. Hopefully the Colin Defense Force doesnt shit it up with the "stand by your bros" bullshit and whatnot.

@MUWANdo

Banned
In the middle of watching Colin's interview with Jason schreier from kotaku. It's a fantastic interview, an excellent guest and he is great host. It has to be said.

But Jesus, I couldn't help laugh at the moment when Jason mentions the YouTube guy pewdiepie and his army of fans attacking people on social media on his behalf.

I think this was recorded two weeks ago, and now the exact same thing has happened on the behalf of Colin moriarty

He was doing it to Bob Mackey right around that same time.

meanspartan

It's stupid and childish for sure, but I gotta admit this whole thing has been fucking riveting. We have had intra-KF drama, family jumping in to the fray, statements, Glenn Beck (that is probably not related and had more to do with his Rubin Report interview, but the timing my god that was wild), it's like a games industry reality show.

I legitimately can't wait to see them address it at their PAX panel, even though I know it will probably mostly be a non-statement.

Ok, I should probably get some work done as I'm a grown up (and a lawyer no less lol) caught up in Kinda Funny's drama

RedAssedApe

Banned
It's fucking stupid and childish for sure, but I gotta admit this whole thing has been fucking riveting.

I legitimately can't wait to see them address it at their PAX panel, even though I know it will probably mostly be a non-statement.

Ok, I should probably get some work done as I'm a grown up (and a lawyer no less lol) caught up in Kinda Funny's drama

Can Greg do a Sean Spicer impression?

Kasper

It's stupid and childish for sure, but I gotta admit this whole thing has been fucking riveting. We have had intra-KF drama, family jumping in to the fray, statements, Glenn Beck (that is probably not related and had more to do with his Rubin Report interview, but the timing my god that was wild), it's like a games industry reality show.

Haha, I was feeling the exact same way. I guess this is how people addicted to reality shows feel like whenever something exciting happens on The Bachelor.

meanspartan

Haha, I was feeling the exact same way. I guess this is how people addicted to reality shows feel like whenever something exciting happens on The Bachelor.

Ya, I've never been one for reality shows before and I'm glad TV is in a far better place now than circa 2005, what with the reality show boom at the time and good tv dramas being cancelled left and right.

I feel like I finally get how someone can get sucked in to that vapid trash lol.

Thanks for putting this so eloquently. I had an argument that lasted all day about this and had people bring up the "comedian" and "joke" argument, and this shuts it down far more eloquently than I am capable of. Kudos.

Edit: Let me cut that down to the tl;dr because it seems quite a few people have quoted it already, haha.

Just tuned in. Sound like they are about to talk about it.

His message was about the community being better to each other. And he touched on how he believes Colin made that post to get "groans" and not "laughs" from people. He also mentioned how him and Colin talked in person about stuff as well.

meanspartan

Greg's authenticity and clear hurt feelings made me even more irritated at Colin for not just putting out a simple damn apology, at least for his second tweet.

Colin is the one always on about politics (no judgment, I am too), but it's ironically Greg that is the clear leader between the two of them.

Greg disagrees with Colin's tweets. Colin edited Greg's statement for him so both had a hand in its message. Both made peace with it after that and lived their lives. Disappointed by what ensued within the community.

Be better to each other.

Greg's summary of the situation and how it seems like Greg and Colin were cool with each other in the aftermath makes Erin's attacking tweet at Tim seem way worse now. Also the snide follow up tweets from Colin seem pretty rude if Colin an Greg did hash it out together.

VZpDEsp.jpg

Felt a bit like this. Let's be nicer to each other, but hey Colin is gonna call people humorless sacks of shit. I'm sure Colin is gonna say something controversal again on Twitter and they will be here again.

Greg was clearly affected by the situation and in fairness he did well to address the seriousness of the issue but like he essentially just said "git gud" to the community and left it at that.

Jotaka

EucIfYY.gif

Top Bottom