• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Oy, Greg's statement at PAX isn't going to calm things down. It's very possible the things he said were true and the group might be fine...but evidence certainly points to the contrary.

When the community is tearing itself apart and things are supposedly "fine" behind the scenes - it's not a good look when you are:
A) posting Revolutionary war flags.
B) remaining silent on the issue thus further exasperating the issue.
C) not shutting down the situation when a message your friend posts in response to the situation you started 100% is catching serious flak and that you supposedly edited.
D) When you do speak, it's to announce you are now appearing on f'n Glenn Beck's show!?!
E) Self-exiling himself.
F) His mom and GF are attacking other members of KF after things were supposedly "good" between them.

Colin doesn't have to feel bad for what he said or whatever, he's an adult. Still, he could post something along the lines of "Hey, I stand by my comments - but stop giving Greg and the rest of the community shit as they aren't forcing me to do anything."

Jebusman

Banned
Colin doesn't have to feel bad for what he said or whatever, he's an adult. Still, he could post something along the lines of "Hey, I stand by my comments - but stop giving Greg and the rest of the community shit as they aren't forcing me to do anything."

This goes against his core being. Objectivism. You should only act in your own best interest. "Fans" shitting on Greg/the rest of them isn't directly affecting him, so why bother.

Mezoly

Oy, Greg's statement at PAX isn't going to calm things down. It's very possible the things he said were true and the group might be fine...but evidence certainly points to the contrary.

When the community is tearing itself apart and things are supposedly "fine" behind the scenes - it's not a good look when you are:
A) posting Revolutionary war flags.
B) remaining silent on the issue thus further exasperating the issue.
C) not shutting down the situation when a message your friend posts in response to the situation you started 100% is catching serious flak and that you supposedly edited.
D) When you do speak, it's to announce you are now appearing on f'n Glenn Beck's show!?!
E) Self-exiling himself.
F) His mom and GF are attacking other members of KF after things were supposedly "good" between them.

Yeah he doesn't need to apologize, he just need to step up and stop people on his side from the fighting. I mean it's his company he should care more about his coworkers.

This goes against his core being. Objectivism. You should only act in your own best interest. "Fans" shitting on Greg/the rest of them isn't directly affecting him, so why bother.

How does that go against his being? He stood up for Tim on a GoG when he kept getting hated on during the election. Thar was/wasn't "directly affect Colin" in a similar way to what's going on in this current scenario.

Just watched the first ten or 20 minutes of Colin on that Rubin guys show, being from long island myself and hearing where he is from, the school he went to, let's just say a lot of things make sense as far as where he is coming from and I can relate a lot to what he said, outside of the fact that my high school was middle class and his high school was in a lower class area, the whole "bootstraps" mentality is something that is super engrained in our heads since birth. So I get why he says what he says and ideologies. I can see also why he draws parrelels to Howard Stern as well, found that very interesting. The most interesting thing was how comfortable he was.

As far as what Greg said, I can rest easy that these guys are not separating anytime soon. Should Colin say something to his fans? No, should he say something to the Kind of Funny fans? Absolutely.

Dude aint dumb and I don't think he wants the alt right as his safety net. I wouldn't hold our breath for anything on Tuesday outside of just another show and maybe 5-10 minutes on the topic, probably be extremely blunt and say he doesn't support the idiots.

Why doesn't he say something right now? It would probably make something worse, I also think that apology made things worse just because of the way it was presented. Maybe they should have been more clear that Colin was involved with that apology more than was originally alluded to. Will he still be Colin? Yeah but that's part of the reason I love the show. Him and Greg are just the perfect team because they are both exact opposites but still friends regardless.

Demoskinos

Colin edited Greg's statement....

michael-jordan-laugh.gif

wait what?

Alo0oy

Banned
The whole "Colin edited the statement" thing is just damage control, they wanted to appease to Colin's insane #HailColin fans to appear that they didn't "throw him under the bus".

Seems like a reasonable statement to me, though it's weird how Tim didn't say anything despite completely disavowing a huge chunk of the audience.

Maximo

I'm not even surprised anymore. I checked a few of them at random and their tweets all have ties to the whole GamerGate lexicon of SJWs, cucks, etc. Quite a few Trump defenders in there too.

@notaxation In 2014, I was still a feminist by then. When GG happened, though, it really made me think critically about my beliefs.

@notaxation I can confidently say if it wasn't for the effort of everyone involved in GG, I would not be where I am today.

@notaxation I know you didn't particularly feel attached to either side, and that's fine. I just wanted to share w/ you how (cont.)

@notaxation ...it was a positive experience for me, and made me a better person. Hope this was interesting for you.

He clearly has a following of alt righters, I love hearing Colins opinions I actually really like Colins Was Right I don't agree with everything but I like hearing different sides...but the dudes anxiety and political views have severely screwed his perception of the world when it comes to other human beings.

Calderc

I'm not even surprised anymore. I checked a few of them at random and their tweets all have ties to the whole GamerGate lexicon of SJWs, cucks, etc. Quite a few Trump defenders in there too.

I'm going through a pretty tough time right now; feel like shit, no self esteem etc etc.

These people make me feel so much better about myself.

I hate to go all conspiracy theory here, I whole heartedly believe Greg hates the tweets and everything he said.

However, for me to believe there is not any shenanigans going on with Tim and Nicks body language, and Gregs message of we all need to be nicer to each other when Colin has done nothing to quell the I stand with Colin down vote crowd is kind of tough.

I hate to go all conspiracy theory here, I whole heartedly believe Greg hates the tweets and everything he said.

However, for me to believe there is not any shenanigans going on with Tim and Nicks body language, and Gregs message of we all need to be nicer to each other when Colin has done nothing to quell the I stand with Colin down vote crowd is kind of tough.

I think it's pretty clear by this point that Greg, Tim, and Nick are pretty apolitical people in general who are likely getting frustrated when Colin basically runs their business into a ditch every few weeks because he pisses off close to half their fanbase.

I mean, people know Polygon or Waypoint has a political angle by now. It's on you and you're surprised what they're posting about. But, I don't think most of the people who watch KF are watching it for Colin to go on half cocked political rants while the other guys try to get him to finish things off quickly or at least find some game related connection to get things back on the rails.

I think it's pretty clear by this point that Greg, Tim, and Nick are pretty apolitical people in general who are likely getting frustrated when Colin basically runs their business into a ditch every few weeks because he pisses off close to half their fanbase.

I mean, people know Polygon or Waypoint has a political angle by now. It's on you and you're surprised what they're posting about. But, I don't think most of the people who watch KF are watching it for Colin to go on half cocked political rants while the other guys try to get him to finish things off quickly or at least find some game related connection to get things back on the rails.

Yeah, that and I am pretty sure none of them want the GameGate/Alt-Right crowd that Colin has attracted. They are in a really tough pickle.

Bgamer90

Banned
Again for the cheap seats: It wasn't "just a joke". Colin clearly wasn't just "trying to be silly". He wasn't "taken out of context because it's Twitter.". Nor is the content of the joke "women are loud" the major part of the issue.

People know Colin's behavior and his opinions. There are hundreds of hours from him online. His comment, paired with the hashtag were clearly not just him trying to have a little "teehee". It was him expressing his disdain and disrespect for a Women's Movement that he likely believes is pointless. His girlfriend's comments about the Strike and his comments about the March back this up. Even more so when you consider his history and his stances. Rather than say so, he hides his comment behind "a joke" so he can play the victim. He thought it would be a safe and consequence free way to belittle the Strike.

Next: people are not "offended". They aren't "triggered". They aren't whining and they aren't outraged. They are looking at someone's behavior that could most generously be described as trolling and saying he's being a troll/jerk. And his response was to call them sacks of shit.

Finally the comparison to Colin's tweets (which cannot be and should not be expected to be viewed in a vacuum) from someone whose chosen profession is to push his opinions to stand up comedian routines is beyond asinine. Stand up happens in a club, where the atmosphere and expectation is humor. Colin's choice to post his comment using that hashtag is akin to someone going to a Woman's March with a loudspeaker and telling them to go back to the kitchen.

The fault lies with Colin, because he would have diminished a lot of the backlash simply by tweeting any kind of positive or appreciative comment to women in his life or that he looks up to. Even saying "Thanks to my mom" would likely have given him enough of a sense of basic humanity that his "joke" could perhaps be viewed less harshly despite IMO it's clear intentions. But no, Colin lashes out like a cornered animal rather than cede even an inch that saying sometime slightly positive about women on International Women's Day

Tldr; The content of the joke isn't what provoked people to call Colin out. His choice to pair it with the hashtag when combined with a repeating pattern of behavior clearly display an intent to belittle and undermine a women's movement did. Reacting to Colin's blatantly trollish behavior and inconsiderate actions is not being outraged, it's simply calling a spade a spade.

Great post.

Yeah, that and I am pretty sure none of them want the GameGate/Alt-Right crowd that Colin has attracted. They are in a really tough pickle.

It'll be interesting to see how this irons out. Either they will address it more and try to quell the tension that's brewing, or they'll think the statement on Twitter from Greg and then addressing it at the panel was enough and try to ignore that it ever happened. If they do the latter I honestly think it won't do anything to dissipate the tension, and the next time Colin inevitably tries to poke at people it'll blow up even worse.

Their content isn't always my speed, but I like and respect 3/4's of KF, so it'll be a shame to see them all harmed by this pretty unnecessarily.

I wonder how he's attracted so many. The dude's got troll tendencies but I don't think I've heard him say anything straight up racist.

Yeah, I don't think he's an actual full blown sexist but he's such an arrogant ass. Dude really needs to practice what he preaches. I have the feeling he gets a lot of joy from getting a rise out of his peers. Dunno how they're supposed to invite guests to the show now unless he's not there.

sasliquid

I wonder how he's attracted so many. The dude's got troll tendencies but I don't think I've heard him say anything straight up racist.

Yeah, I don't think he's an actual full blown sexist but he's such an arrogant ass. Dude really needs to practice what he preaches. I have the feeling he gets a lot of joy from getting a rise out of his peers. Dunno how they're supposed to invite guests to the show now unless he's not there.

He has a long history of raging against "political correctness" which often attracts anti-feminists and their ilk. ggers don't see themselves as sexist but they do see feminist criticism as an attack on freedom of speech (it isn't)

More worrying isn't who he's attracted but the younger viewers who he's influenced to have these views who may have never been exposed to actual feminist/progressive ideas

Again for the cheap seats: It wasn't "just a joke". Colin clearly wasn't just "trying to be silly". He wasn't "taken out of context because it's Twitter.". Nor is the content of the joke "women are loud" the major part of the issue.

People know Colin's behavior and his opinions. There are hundreds of hours from him online. His comment, paired with the hashtag were clearly not just him trying to have a little "teehee". It was him expressing his disdain and disrespect for a Women's Movement that he likely believes is pointless. His girlfriend's comments about the Strike and his comments about the March back this up. Even more so when you consider his history and his stances. Rather than say so, he hides his comment behind "a joke" so he can play the victim. He thought it would be a safe and consequence free way to belittle the Strike.

Next: people are not "offended". They aren't "triggered". They aren't whining and they aren't outraged. They are looking at someone's behavior that could most generously be described as trolling and saying he's being a troll/jerk. And his response was to call them sacks of shit.

Finally the comparison to Colin's tweets (which cannot be and should not be expected to be viewed in a vacuum) from someone whose chosen profession is to push his opinions to stand up comedian routines is beyond asinine. Stand up happens in a club, where the atmosphere and expectation is humor. Colin's choice to post his comment using that hashtag is akin to someone going to a Woman's March with a loudspeaker and telling them to go back to the kitchen.

The fault lies with Colin, because he would have diminished a lot of the backlash simply by tweeting any kind of positive or appreciative comment to women in his life or that he looks up to. Even saying "Thanks to my mom" would likely have given him enough of a sense of basic humanity that his "joke" could perhaps be viewed less harshly despite IMO it's clear intentions. But no, Colin lashes out like a cornered animal rather than cede even an inch that saying sometime slightly positive about women on International Women's Day

Tldr; The content of the joke isn't what provoked people to call Colin out. His choice to pair it with the hashtag when combined with a repeating pattern of behavior clearly display an intent to belittle and undermine a women's movement did. Reacting to Colin's blatantly trollish behavior and inconsiderate actions is not being outraged, it's simply calling a spade a spade.

Great post

GametimeUK

Am I aright in believing Tim said he doesn't want anyone who found the joke funny to be a fan of his? If so, why does he still want the person who told the joke to be a friend of his? This whole situation is weird.

tuxfool

Banned
Am I aright in believing Tim said he doesn't want anyone who found the joke funny to be a fan of his? If so, why does he still want the person who told the joke to be a friend of his? This whole situation is weird.

Why do some people keep insisting it was a joke? We should call it what it was, a mean spirited attempt to troll people.

No, this isn't what he said. He said he didn't want the people in the replies as fans, the people actively and aggressively defending Colin's tweet

It had nothing to do with what people thought was or was not funny, but it's not a shock to see people immediately twist it to be about that

That's not what I got from Tim's tweet. That seemed aimed at all the people on the prowl waiting for the "triggered" as if the whole purpose of the joke was to offend people and cause controversy as opposed to just making some people laugh. (Which I guess was the purpose to some extent)

But his tweet was vague in terms of who it was directed towards. He should clear that up on the Morning Show.

Because that's not how friendship works. You don't stop talking to someone just because their politics are different than yours. Friendships are supposed to you know...Mean something. If I stopped talking to my friends after every time they acted like a complete ass I would have no friends 25 years ago.

Ultimag

Neo Member
Have to agree with what others have said. I don't really care about the content of this specific tweet, it was clearly meant as a joke, but seeing Colin constantly go out of his way to troll people while the KF crew talk about wanting to have a positive, friendly community has gone from feeling a little off to flat out unnecessary and annoying within the last few months.

The rest of the guys (especially Greg) seem to be forever going out of there way to appease Colin to keep him happy but it seems more and more like he fundamentally isn't on the same page as them any more, and I don't mean politically or anything like that - he's clearly over the whole being a gaming youtube personality thing and is obviously not interested whenever he appears on shows outside of PSILY and CWR.

He's frequently said he wants to take a back seat from being on camera and that's totally fine, I still enjoy hearing his take on stuff as despite everything he clearly knows his stuff about this industry. I just wish he'd reflect more the values he claims to hold dear and stop dragging the entire KF crew through a new shit storm every couple of weeks, if this shit is getting tiresome for us fans I can't imagine how sick of it they must be getting.

Top Bottom