• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 and GC Resident Evil 4 Screenshot Comparison!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

silenttwn

I don't really give two shits about the whole Nintendo vs. Sony thing, or which version is "superior." But I always get pissed off at the whole double dipping phenomena that's not only seen in games but in DVDs as well. Companies will release something, then like a year later will suddenly come out with a newer, better version. Capitilism for the win, I suppose.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
PS2 fanboys just cant accept that graphics on GC is better?

In general? Or just for this?

I think RE4 looks better on GC, but no suprise there. It was built ground up on a high budget with GC's architecture in mind.

If this runs smooth on PS2, then that's a damn good port given the time. It may be missing some lighting, some texture quality/effects, but they took something in built specifically for GC and ported it over to PS2 in under a year. That's impressive.

If you don't understand the emphasis on originally built for GC then ported to PS2, imagine how terrible Jak 2 or Rathet and Clank would look on GC given the same amount of time to port. They'd have to scale back polygons like mad.

Cheerilee

Dr_Cogent said:
It would be cool if there was an Xbox version so everyone would have a shot at playing this most stellar of games.
Everyone did get a shot.

But the source of all the angst in this (and every other GCN-to-PS2) thread is that it was widely declared that "owning a GameCube" was an unreasonable request.

teh_pwn said:
In general? Or just for this?

I think RE4 looks better on GC, but no suprise there. It was built ground up on a high budget with GC's architecture in mind.

If this runs smooth on PS2, then that's a damn good port given the time. It may be missing some lighting, some texture quality/effects, but they took something in built specifically for GC and ported it over to PS2 in under a year. That's impressive.

If you don't understand the emphasis on originally built for GC then ported to PS2, imagine how terrible Jak 2 or Rathet and Clank would look on GC given the same amount of time to port. They'd have to scale back polygons like mad.

This is the kind of thinking not normally found in places like gaming forums.
I agree with you. This would be like MGS3 being ported to Xbox. It could be done no doubt, but don't expect any rain in the xbox version.

Elios83

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=10555

Capcom Eurosoft reps told our sister site Eurogamer.net recently that print magazines have already been given a taster of the PS2 version of the game, and will be publishing their preview spreads on the game in the last week of August.

Although there was talk that Capcom had had difficulty matching the graphical quality of the Cube version on the PS2, sources close to the firm suggest that the game is "surprisingly close to the GameCube original".

Apparently a few minor compromises have been made to squeeze the game onto the PS2, with slightly less rich texturing and less facial detail, but that in all other respects the game will be identical to the GameCube classic.

Very interesting,so hands on impressions by the end of the month.I can't wait.

Solid

yeah elios, that's interesting. some egm dude wrote this in the boxart thread.

MarkMacD said:
PS2 version = HOT.

...and I'm not talking about the cover. :D

[/tease]
we'll hopefully have media gameplay around august 18-19 as the games convention begins.

Borys

Banned
Leguna said:
Borys:
Nice, thanks for the comparision shots.

No prob.

Personally I couldn't care less wich version looks better - I will (PS2) own and enjoy them both. I hope there are really *fun* extras in the Playstation version.

They both look good. This may be the most pathetic thread I've ever read. The only difference will probably be image quality, and a texture here or there.

Capcom Eurosoft reps told our sister site Eurogamer.net recently that print magazines have already been given a taster of the PS2 version of the game, and will be publishing their preview spreads on the game in the last week of August.

Although there was talk that Capcom had had difficulty matching the graphical quality of the Cube version on the PS2, sources close to the firm suggest that the game is "surprisingly close to the GameCube original".

Apparently a few minor compromises have been made to squeeze the game onto the PS2, with slightly less rich texturing and less facial detail, but that in all other respects the game will be identical to the GameCube classic.

This is great news.

And even though PS2 will have slightly lower textures it can help make up for that in it's great abilty to saturate colors. That won't be enough to make up for it but, every little bit helps. Widescreen should help a bit too.

If PS2 version gets true 16:9/480p and, extra slutty outfits for Ada, there will be lots of happy PS2 owners come Halloween.

I just hope they actually give a lot of worthwhile extra content.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Francois the Great said:
The GCN version looks noticeably better than the PS2 version. The PS2 version still looks pretty nice though.

That's exactly what I was going to post.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The only difference will probably be image quality, and a texture here or there.
The PS2 version should be better in this regard (image quality)...

doesnt the gc version run in 480p as well?
Yes, but not 16:9. It ran in letterbox mode.

For a 16:9 set, this means that you'd have to zoom the image in order for it to fill the screen. That means larger pixels and blockier image. With true 16:9, the number of pixels on screen will be greater and the image will be sharper.

Solid said:
yeah elios, that's interesting. some egm dude wrote this in the boxart thread.

PS2 version = HOT.

...and I'm not talking about the cover.

[/tease]

we'll hopefully have media gameplay around august 18-19 as the games convention begins.

Elios83 said:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=10555

Very interesting,so hands on impressions by the end of the month.I can't wait.

nice!

Flo_Evans said:
the PS2 version looks like it lacks real shadows on Leon. He looks like he is lit with a genaric 'all over' light source.

I agree with this person. Just like the X-box and the Game Cube can do better lighting than the PS2. Just look at Resident Evil remake it has some great lighting and looks very realistic.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
sonic4ever said:
I agree with this person. Just like the X-box and the Game Cube can do better lighting than the PS2. Just look at Resident Evil remake it has some great lighting and looks very realistic.
RE4's lighting is very simplistic, though. I'll be suprised if the final PS2 game looks different in that regard...

I mean, it's not as if they are doing anything the PS2 can't do (no DX8+ class effects here).

StRaNgE

Banned
Leguna said:
PS2 Version:
925156_20050516_screen005.jpg

GC Version:
535840_20050107_screen006.jpg

PS2 Version:
925156_20050516_screen022.jpg

GC Version:
resident-evil-4-20050103002224762.jpg

PS2 Version:
925156_20050516_screen023.jpg

GC Version:
resident-evil-4-20050103002229699.jpg

GC Version:
re4_ss09.jpg

PS2 Version:
925156_20050516_screen002.jpg

GC Version:
5.jpg

PS2 Version:
925156_20050516_screen020.jpg

GC Version:
t_010.jpg

PS2 Version:
925156_20050516_screen008.jpg

GC Version:
535840_20050107_screen003.jpg

PS2 Version:
925156_20050516_screen021.jpg

925156_20050516_screen003.jpg

925156_20050516_screen004.jpg

925156_20050516_screen017.jpg

925156_20050516_screen024.jpg

925156_20050516_screen006.jpg

They look identical to me.

good thing you do not use your eyes to make a living. ;)

biggest thing besides jags would be the backgrounds are much more blurred. but overall, for a PS@ game it aint to bad.

Just to be an ass and make this thread even more worthless, check out this specific PS2 shot.
925156_20050516_screen005.jpg

Now, look closely at the lettering up at the top. The gamma settings are way off because the white color of the text is blooming out. This isn't the fault of the PS2, it's the fault of the capture device.

In comparison the text in this shot is very clean with no blooming. That means the gamma is adjusted properly. Although, it does look as if the blacks are clipping.

535840_20050107_screen006.jpg

Having your gamma settings off will pretty much ruin your whole image. It makes jaggies more noticeable and creates a blurring effect at the same time among a host of other problems.

I also noticed this funny shot.
ignbarrels1we.jpg

Why is it so funny?
Both shots are from the GC trailer.

Don't believe me, then I suggest you download the PS2 trailer and the GC trailer.
The back of her ear is not revealed in the PS2 trailer at all. However, in the GC trailer it is.
The second shot is her getting up of the ground, as her hair moves the back of her ear is revealed. This isn't even shown in the PS2 trailer.

Apenheul

dark10x said:
RE4's lighting is very simplistic, though. I'll be suprised if the final PS2 game looks different in that regard...

I mean, it's not as if they are doing anything the PS2 can't do (no DX8+ class effects here).

Actually, since the game has been in development for so long as a GameCube exclusive title I assume they made good use of the TEV unit. GameCube has 16 texture stages which is quite the luxury, 8 textures / 16 stages in one pass. The ps2 has to redraw everything for every light added (looks a bit like PRT lighting btw).

Hooker

MidgarBlowedUp, you're trying too hard, look at her sweater... and tell me that's still the same version. You can't!

Also, look at this picture. the ground in particular... Also, take a look at the (lack of) shadows.

925156_20050516_screen017.jpg

Hooker said:
MidgarBlowedUp, you're trying too hard, look at her sweater... and tell me that's still the same version. You can't!

As I said, both shots are from the GC version.
I'm looking at the exact frame from the GC version as we speak, sweater and all.

If you know of a free screen capture program I'll even take the shot and post with the frame number so everyone can see it.

Wow, the definitive RE4 -- the PS2 version -- looks stellar. I don't see any downgrade at all, although I expect there'll be different/weaker lighting effects in it and a few lower resolution textures, both of which are a complete non-issues.

Glad I waited! If a PORT looks this good, the PS2 hardware really *is* > than the GAMECUBE NINTENDO! Imagine how mind-blowing it would be if it was coded native to the PS2 in the first place and ported to the GC -- the GAMECUBE NINTENDO would choke on it, like SSX3 or Prince of Persia: WW!

Hooker

Well, then the videos must be labled wrong, or there was some massive increase in texture quality for the different regions. Because you can NOT tell me that this is from the same version:

re4.gif

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Drinky Crow said:
Wow, the definitive RE4 -- the PS2 version -- looks stellar. I don't see any downgrade at all, although I expect there'll be different/weaker lighting effects in it and a few lower resolution textures, both of which are a complete non-issues.

Glad I waited! If a PORT looks this good, the PS2 hardware really *is* > than the GAMECUBE NINTENDO! Imagine how mind-blowing it would be if it was coded native to the PS2 in the first place and ported to the GC -- the GAMECUBE NINTENDO would choke on it, like SSX3 or Prince of Persia: WW!
*loses IQ points*

AniHawk

Fans of the GC version: This is one of the greatest games to be released in this generation. You've enjoyed it. You had fun. Quit ruining the experience of a great game by arguing needlessly over it.

People awaiting the PS2 version: you guys are in for a treat. Hopefully not much gets lost in translation, as it looks pretty much the same. The extra content should keep you busy for a while too.

Strangely enough this reminds me of RE2. The N64 ended up receiving the superior version despite a slight graphical downgrade. I don't seem to remember all the bitching back then.

So stop bitching now. It's a great, great game. Be glad for those who get to enjoy it, and stop trying to rub shit in other people's faces when they've clearly already enjoyed it plenty.

Fucking morons.

Hooker said:
Well, then the videos must be labled wrong, or there was some massive increase in texture quality for the different regions. Because you can NOT tell me that this is from the same version:

re4.gif

Tada:
re4tgs2004b_wmvlow.jpg

Notice the IGN.COM label?
That's the GameCube version from TGS-2004.
Position 1.08.582

Unfortunately, I couldn't get the exact frame matched up with the shareware software I'm using. But, I think it's close enough to prove my point.

*edit*
Should be more accurate now. I see what they did now, they just colored in the IGN.COM label with black and then called it a PS2 shot. The sad part is that all the fanboys that got fooled by that fake comparison won't make a big deal out of and will still act as if they can actually tell the difference.

*double edit*
How retarded! Someone actually labeled the PS2 shot as the GC shot and vice versa.
Holy crap PS2 Haters pwned.

This is from the E3 PS2 trailer.
ResidentEvil4PS2_wmvlow.jpg

Speevy

Banned
Drinky Crow said:

The other developers must be told!

*travels back to 2000*

Socreges

Banned
Have none of you seen the high-res trailer at IGN? It looks relatively good. There's a drop in image quality, the textures are sometimes muddy, and the lighting doesn't seem to be quite as good, but it's all pretty negligible stuff. Still, why (rhetorical) not just wait until both games are playable to compare.

I think it should remain that anyone who owns a GC and hasn't bought RE4 yet is a touch crazy (or broke), but the PS2 version may ultimately have a few additions that put it a step above provided the graphics and thus atmosphere are virtually identical.

AniHawk said:
Strangely enough this reminds me of RE2. The N64 ended up receiving the superior version despite a slight graphical downgrade. I don't seem to remember all the bitching back then.
Um RE2 on the N64 got a slight graphical UPgrade.

DCharlie

Banned
fucking hell, i'm sure this thread is just a taster for the moronic shit that we are going to get next gen - quibbles over details, the games are still the same, but one set of fans will have a fucking hardon for proving that their hardware is "better".

still2.jpg

MARK AND REMEMBER.
When this argument comes back when it's PS3 vs XBox and people are pointing at a couple of textures as proof as to which version is better, the spectre of this thread will float up all your asses.

FightyF

Banned
BigGreenMat said:
Looking at those comparisons I can't identify a differense at all. The only one I really expect is that the PS2 will have the ugly filtering while GC will look better and cleaner. Really though I couldn't see any polygon or texture loss in these screens.

I can see some texture differences, the GC version is slightly better.

But the PS2 version will offer a lot more, and after all, it's about gameplay over graphics, right Nintendo fans? :lol

PS2 version to get TRUE 16:9 support?! SAWEET!

How could anyone play it otherwise?!?!

The game still looks kinda nasty compared to other titles...I can't get over the Quake-palette, but hey, as long as it's fun!

Socreges

Banned
I'm convinced that certain Sega fans are going to take the Nintendo/Sega rivalry to the grave with them. Jesus Christ.

UltraMarioMan said:
Um RE2 on the N64 got a slight graphical UPgrade.

Er... yes and no.

I'm not going to touch the FMV, except to say I was surprised it survived the port. Nor am I going to argue about the audio.

Anyway as for visuals, the 64 version of RE2 sported better graphics overall, with one small exception: character's textures were ever so slightly downgraded (or removed). The most notable of these is Leon's face.

Now the major upgrades included "hi-res" pre-rendered backgrounds (only available if you had the RAM-pack, but still), which were gorgeous compared to the PSX originals. Poly counts remained the same, but the game got some much-need anti-aliasing and a slightly higher framerate. In addition, the textures that did survive the transition to the N64's pathetically small texture cache were beautiful in that they were not pixelated jumping textures of doom.

But there was definately a downgrade in terms of textures... but everything else was much much better.

dark10x said:
The PS2 version should be better in this regard (image quality)...

Yes, but not 16:9. It ran in letterbox mode.

For a 16:9 set, this means that you'd have to zoom the image in order for it to fill the screen. That means larger pixels and blockier image. With true 16:9, the number of pixels on screen will be greater and the image will be sharper.

Agreed, PS2 version will look great widescreen, but on standard TVs, I'd guess the GC version will get the edge.

MidgarBlowedUp said:
Tada:
re4tgs2004b_wmvlow.jpg

Position 1.08.582

Unfortunately, I couldn't get the exact frame matched up with the shareware software I'm using. But, I think it's close enough to prove my point.

*edit*
Should be more accurate now. I see what they did now, they just colored in the IGN.COM label with black and then called it a PS2 shot. The sad part is that all the fanboys that got fooled by that fake comparison won't make a big deal out of and will still act as if they can actually tell the difference.

*double edit*
How retarded! Someone actually labeled the PS2 shot as the GC shot and vice versa.

peter2.gif

UH OH

Oh, just a heads up. Turn safesearch on when doing a Peter Griffin image search on google, I spotted a pic of Peter's Mr. Zuchini Head toy superimposed on goatse :(

Mode

im not even going to read through this thread.

Don't even bothering comparing screenshots. The game isn't even out on PS2 yet and the screenshots look different than the movies. If you're gonna make this thread, do it when the PS2 version is out.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
MidgarBlowedUp said:
Tada:
re4tgs2004b_wmvlow.jpg

Position 1.08.582

*edit*

*double edit*

:lol :lol :lol

i want a list of people that used those 2 screenshots to show how 'crappy' the ps2 version is. people be eating crow now

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So PS2 version has better sweaters and more barrels now? Her hair is a floating wig in GC version?

Holy shit, GAF implodes.

For those not in the tiny dick waving portion of this conversation...Any one else surprised how good the fire effects look on the PS2 version? I thought that'd be the first thing to get downgraded.

Vlad

DCharlie said:
fucking hell, i'm sure this thread is just a taster for the moronic shit that we are going to get next gen - quibbles over details, the games are still the same, but one set of fans will have a fucking hardon for proving that their hardware is "better".

still2.jpg

MARK AND REMEMBER.
When this argument comes back when it's PS3 vs XBox and people are pointing at a couple of textures as proof as to which version is better, the spectre of this thread will float up all your asses.

You know, I've found that it's a lot easier on the sanity if I just give up on a particular thread after it goes down that road, as they pretty much never recover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom